A Round on the Old Course!!

Our Sponsors

7 minutes ago, perseveringgolfer said:

@GolfSpy Barbajo The St Rule trophy was just played over the NEW and OLD course. Thought it might interest you to see this as it's just gone up.

Awesome video -- Jen Saxton from ShotScope was in the field - she fired a -5 in her second round at the New Course and a -2 in her third round, but still finished back in the pack. She's one of the best golfers I've ever played with....

• Like 1

What's in the bag:

Driver:  Sub 70 639D - 9.5; :cleveland-small: Launcher HB Turbo; :mizuno-small: ST 190 
FW Wood: :tour-edge: Tour Edge EXS 220 - 15*; :mizuno-small: ST 180 14*
Hybrids:  PXG 0311 22
Utility Irons: :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Utilities 18, 21, 24*;  Lynx VT Stinger - 16*
Irons::wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged; :benhogan-small:PTx Pro, :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; :wilson_staff_small: Progressives (circa 1993)

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX -2, :benhogan-small:Riviera 52-56-60; :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8,  :benhogan-small:Baby Ben

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B X (2020); :srixon-small: Z-STAR XV

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

3 hours ago, perseveringgolfer said:

@GolfSpy Barbajo The St Rule trophy was just played over the NEW and OLD course. Thought it might interest you to see this as it's just gone up.

When I was there in 2012 we arrived on the first day of the St Rule Trophy competition.  After a bit of lunch (and a pint or two) we decided to play, so we went out to the Links Clubhouse, and were told that the first tee on the New Course was open.  Little did we know that we were only about 2 or 3 holes behind the last group of women playing the St Rule.  We were going out, 3 old guys with creaky swings, watching these young ladies with real golf swings coming in.  The next morning we had some time, so we watched a bit of play on the Old Course, and were all very impressed.

BTW, that was the most tired I can remember being on a golf course.  Red-eye flight, drive from the airport, walk around the town, lunch and ale, I had about 12 holes of golf in me.  Unfortunately, the 13th tee is about two miles from anything, so we had to keep playing.

Edited by DaveP043
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

:titelist-small: Irons Titleist AP2 714, KBS Tour S, 3 flat

:callaway-small: Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:vokey-small: 52, 56, and 60 wedges

:ping-small: B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

2 hours ago, GolfSpy Barbajo said:

For the next trip I'm thinking of staying in the North Berwick area and focusing on the East Lothian courses - with a day trip to St. Andrews if we can secure tee times. Our guy Jack said the accommodations are much less expensive down that way and the courses -- North Berwick, Gullane and if we say our prayers and do good deeds - Muirfield - are amazing. 

So jealous!  One day I would love to do this, it is def on my bucket list!  First up though is Pebble in two years so I am looking forward to that trip!  However, my buddies and I will start to look into St. Andrews this year and make a 5 yr plan for it.  So glad you had a great time!!!

• Like 1

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: :callaway-small:  Apex w/Kuro Kage stiff

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Del Mar 34"

• 3 months later...

I'm new to this site so a tad late to this topic...A few suggestions. Muirfield teetimes are thru their website. If you wish to book mid summer...You must lock a teetime up about 16 months in advance. All next summer is sold out and has been for a while. The one thing I do that reduces cost the most is book a house or apartment for group. My priority is always the golf...rooms are secondary. I have booked apartments a par 4 from 1st tee Old. It cuts your cost in half for lodging. The whole thing around advance tee times at the Old makes Scotland a tad difficult. With the exchange rates the way they have been now and the last few years...It's a great time to go. I just booked teetimes for Carnoustie for next summer...Booked our apartment and am interacting with the other courses we are playing. Kingsbarns always twice as 2nd round half price and it is the best in St Andrews...North Berwick is also a must. Fill in with a few others in the area around those. All good stuff. I've done 20 trips to the British Isles and have set them up myself after figuring out what the real costs were after the first few trips...

Epic Flash 9 &15

Titliest 915 18&21

Staff 5 to G

Ping SW

Wide Flange LW

TM Spider X

On 5/29/2019 at 2:25 AM, GolfSpy Barbajo said:

It was an awesome experience - shot an 83 with a triple on the front (damn bunkers!!) - and there was a 78 or 79 to be had

That's fantastic... both actually completing a bucket list item and your scores!  Great pictures and playing in the wet (or threatening) stuff makes it all the better.  They charge a little more on wet and windy days, right? 🙂  OK, now onto another benefit of playing that area; how's the beer and spirits?  Lastly, did you do this as part of a "golf" package trip?  If so, would you mind sharing the details.  Thanks

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

I did a trip this July over the 4th holiday (was in St Andrew's the week prior to the 4th). Took the train from London to Edinburgh, stayed overnight in Edinburgh, then trained over to Luchars, and caught the bus to St Andrew's. Got in about 12:30pm to St Andrew's, dropped my clubs off at my residence (a University of St Andrew's dorm across from the Dunvegan) and walked to the Old Course starter. I was last on the list for the day (#72), and walked over to the New Course and went right off on the 1st tee. Walking back to check in to my residence (check in time was 2pm), I stopped off at the Old Course starter to see how it was going (about 5:15pm). The lovely woman at the desk told me to hang out as the afternoon tee times are reserved for the R&A. If members don't show up on the tee box, they send out whomever on the list is hanging around. Long story short, I went out at 6:10pm on the 2nd to last tee time on the day. Was dead tired, but nutted a drive just short of the berm on 1 and chipped on and made par. The wheels came off on the 2nd 9 (holes 27-36) for the day, but it was worth it. Played Carnoustie (Buddon) the next day, then was 1st off the New Course at 7:30am on day 3, before catching the 2pm train back to Edinburgh, then back on the London. 

I got a sub $100 rate/night through booking.com at McIntosh Hall which was spartan (the co-ed bath/shower rooms were unique), but I wasn't spending time in the room!

Here's a pic at the Jigger in overlooking the Road Hole and 1/18....

65119714_10156703246227945_5927752027571486720_o.jpg

• Like 4

Using a random assortment of generic stuff with last gen Golfsmith Snake Eyes forged irons. 

• 5 months later...

Just now saw this--- I know I am always late except for food and tee times!!!------ And John can certainly relate to this because he can be old school---- I would love to play any of those courses over there and I would play it with my vintage stuff and of course carry one of my 1 irons. I would not give 2 hoots if I shot as good as John did or shot 100. I would love it to be a windy day so I could find an excuse to hit a bunch of those quail high stingers with the 1 iron.  Actually for me it would not necessarily have to be a high profile course like St Andrews it could be an every day working man's type course for me. On the Motel hole I do not think even with a modern driver now I can hit it high enough to clear it over the top but will bet you even money I can aim left of the road and cut it around the corner with the persimmon driver or 1 iron. That would be fun fun fun. I have "friends" on WRX that live over there and have posted pics of their regular everyday courses and those are intriguing to me also. It would be a long journey to me because I absolutely do not fly so I would have to go by boat

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Driver Homna  G1- X Stock Homna Regular shaft

4 wood Adams Tight Lies 

5 wood Adams Tight Lies 

24* Hybrid Adams A 10-OS Pro Launch Red R

Irons 5 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW- Wilson Staff JP II 56* shaft unknown

Putter 1997 Santa Fe rusty as heck

I must have missed this too.  I told me wife recently that I want to do a Scotland golf trip for my 50th birthday and The Old Course is at the top of my list.  Ive seen that theres travel agents who offer packages that get you on the OC.  I believe the one I saw was called, "St Andrews Experience" and they offer packages that guaranetee you a round on the OC and then rounds on several other courses in the area.  I believe they start at around $5K, which is expensive but when you consider its a 4-day stay and play package that includes accomodations at the Old Course Hotel and 4 rounds of golf, I feel like the expense is worth not dealing with the hassle.

Anyways, yeah, bucket list course and when the day comes for this trip, I probably wont believe Im actually there.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* and Top-Flite Gamer 2020 18*

Irons: Pinemeadow ZR 3.0 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Tommy Armour VCG 56*

Putter: Wilson Augusta

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Zen if you get a chance go for it wide open!!!

• Like 1

Driver Homna  G1- X Stock Homna Regular shaft

4 wood Adams Tight Lies 

5 wood Adams Tight Lies 

24* Hybrid Adams A 10-OS Pro Launch Red R

Irons 5 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW- Wilson Staff JP II 56* shaft unknown

Putter 1997 Santa Fe rusty as heck

I just saw this thread - my buds and I played the 'Old Course' at the local Golfzon Sim today. Wow was it a challenge. Two of us ended up 22 over and the other two were in the mid 30's (over). Ugly day for scoring - what messed up all of us were the greens. One of the guys hit two cars on his drive on 18 . I can't imagine what it would be like playing this in RL.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

Cobra King F-9  5 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Snell MTB-X 

2020 Official Tester :SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Bookings for Muirfield open up for next year on March 18th. If you have plans to go to that area at any time that is prime....You best get on their website and book soon after opening. With the Open there times will go fast. North Berwick is maybe my favorite over there. Ton of fun. Staying in that area I'd recommend the Golf Inn.  

Epic Flash 9 &15

Titliest 915 18&21

Staff 5 to G

Ping SW

Wide Flange LW

TM Spider X

• 2 months later...
On 3/11/2020 at 5:51 PM, tony@CIC said:

I just saw this thread - my buds and I played the 'Old Course' at the local Golfzon Sim today. Wow was it a challenge. Two of us ended up 22 over and the other two were in the mid 30's (over). Ugly day for scoring - what messed up all of us were the greens. One of the guys hit two cars on his drive on 18 emoji1.png. I can't imagine what it would be like playing this in RL.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

I almost killed a guy coming out of the "New" Club of St Andrews with my approach on 18... it feels like the whole town is watching you..... 

• Like 1

Using a random assortment of generic stuff with last gen Golfsmith Snake Eyes forged irons. 

14 minutes ago, homelessgolfer said:

I almost killed a guy coming out of the "New" Club of St Andrews with my approach on 18... it feels like the whole town is watching you..... 

On one of my visits, there as a REALLY old and very nicely restored Rolls Royce parked just by the fence next to the 18th green.  Its one thing to bounce one off a 2012 Ford, a different thing to dent a 1935 (or whatever) Rolls!

:titelist-small: Irons Titleist AP2 714, KBS Tour S, 3 flat

:callaway-small: Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:vokey-small: 52, 56, and 60 wedges

:ping-small: B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia