TESTERS WANTED! ×

Golf Ball Head to Head Tests

This is a thread for those who are interested in reading or sharing golf ball comparisons! 

Personally, I am in the stage of personal ball testing to try to find my next gamer for the next season or two. As such, I have been and am in the process of testing a variety of premium golf balls to see which fits my game and personal preferences. My posts in this site will be coming from off my new website (linked here for those who might want to check it out: https://griffinc6.wixsite.com/golfreviews) and will be in the form of a head to head matchup between two of the balls I am considering. During my tests, I will be taking two different models to the course and playing 9 holes with each in the same round, same day, and same conditions. In my posts, there won't be much in the way of technical data other than distance (measured via Shot Scope) but will rather be how I experienced the balls in terms of distance, spin, flight characteristics, performance and fell around the green, putting, quality, durability, and consistency. Once again, for my posts here, these are by no means a scientific test, but rather what I prefer, what I see, and how the balls perform for me. Therefore whatever performs for me might not translate to your game or your experiences with these products. I also invite everyone to post your own comparisons, head-to-heads, and reviews here as well!

Now that that is out of the way, let the discussion begin!

In the Bag:

Driver: :callaway-small: Callaway Rogue 9° (Project X Hazardous Yellow 76g 6.0 Stiff Flex)

3 Wood: :callaway-small: Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15° (Stiff Flex)

Hybrid: :titelist-small: Titleist 816 H2 19° (Fujikura Motore Tour Spec Stiff Flex)

Irons: :ping-small: Ping i E1 4i-UW (Ping CFS Stiff Flex)

Wedges: :mizuno-small: Mizuno T7 54°/9°; :cleveland-small: Cleveland RTX 3 58°/8°

Putter: :odyssey-small: Odyssey O-Works Versa #7 (33", Super Stroke Pistol GT)

Ball: :srixon-small: Srixon Z-Star

Other: image.png.1a836b4c89a21e13ee937550f4016dae.png Shot Scope V2 

Golf Ball H2H #1: TP5x vs. ProV1x

To start off this series, I picked a battle of two giants! The Titleist ProV1x has long been recognized as the definitive "best ball in golf," however with the somewhat recent news of PGA Tour star Rickie Fowler making the shocking switch from the ProV1x to the Taylormade TP5x, there has been a spark in discussion on how good the TP5 really is. So what better way to begin? Let's jump into the test!

Most Noticeable Differences:

• ProV1x seemed noticeably better into wind.

• TP5x definitely feels softer, but not too soft.

Other Notes:

• As far as distance is concerned, TP5x definitely seemed longer on a number of shots (especially those less effected by the wind). I overshot a few greens with the TP5x and thought it might be club choice, however after testing other balls from the same spots, the TP5x was just longer. Also I had some monster drives with the TP5x.

• Around the green, in terms of approach shots and chipping, there really wasn't much difference when it came to the way the balls performed. I did seem to like the TP5x just a hair more. I seemed to hold the greens on a few shots I thought would roll off and I really liked the ball characteristics when chipping (almost had a few go in), but all that could just be attributed to better ball-striking (it was the 2nd 9) or personal preference/feel. I would guess they perform similarly in this category going off just data alone.

• On the greens, they both performed very similarly off the putter and I really couldn't tell a difference between the two. Both felt great! The TP5x might have just a touch softer feel (as aforementioned), but I really couldn't tell off the putter. Overall I think I sunk more putts with the TP5x, but again that's probably not the ball.

• Durability was definitely a tie! I was surprised to see a huge scuff mark on the ProV1x after about 8 holes of use, but it could have very well just been a freak thing. The TP5x help up surprisingly well (even after a direct hit off a tree that bounced back into the fairway) considering all the reviews and things I've read about it's durability issues. I had no problems at all with the TP5x in terms of durability!

Overall:

Both balls performed extremely well and there really wasn't a whole lot of stark contrasts between the two in this matchup. The ProV1x, as expected, was a super consistent ball that was playing well into the wind and had no real weakness to speak to. The TP5x actually surprised me in a lot of ways (as I have never played or tried a Taylormade ball before) with the only downside being what I saw of it struggling a little bit with the wind. Now on to which one I would choose between the two. Surprisingly, I would have to go with the TP5x! Like I've said, it does seem to struggle with the wind on occasion for me, however considering the distance gains, added feel around the green (for me), and the fact that they run around $5-10 less a dozen than the ProV1x, this ball is too good to ignore. The ProV1x is obviously still an excellent ball with top tier quality control, consistency, and performance. For me though, I believe, based on my personal experience with these two balls and the results from this first test, that my game would benefit more from what the TP5x has to offer.

Edited by cynogriffin

In the Bag:

Driver: :callaway-small: Callaway Rogue 9° (Project X Hazardous Yellow 76g 6.0 Stiff Flex)

Hybrid: :titelist-small: Titleist 816 H2 19° (Fujikura Motore Tour Spec Stiff Flex)

Wedges: :mizuno-small: Mizuno T7 54°/9°; :cleveland-small: Cleveland RTX 3 58°/8°

You might also enjoy this...

https://mygolfspy.com/most-wanted-golf-ball/

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

7 minutes ago, PlaidJacket said:

You might also enjoy this...

https://mygolfspy.com/most-wanted-golf-ball/

Dude I'm not sure there's a single serious golfer on this site who's hasn't seen that test! But thanks anyways and maybe there will be some who come to this thread that may not have seen it yet. I did however use that test as a reference for the balls I will be considering in this post. Thanks!

Edited by cynogriffin

In the Bag:

I think you might get more interest, at least from my perspective, if you compared some of the big boys with the DTC (direct-to-consumer) brands like, Snell, Vice, Oncore, Pearl, Cut, etc.  

In my own comparisons, I really like the feel of the Oncore Elixir, but found that I lose distance with it compared to the Bridgestone Tour B RX.  However, the Snell MTB-Black and Vice Pro are very similar to the RX and quite a bit cheaper.  Currently, I'm still playing the RX, but will do more comparisons with the Vice Pro and Snell Black before finalizing my choice as my gamer.

1 hour ago, jjfcpa said:

I think you might get more interest, at least from my perspective, if you compared some of the big boys with the DTC (direct-to-consumer) brands like, Snell, Vice, Oncore, Pearl, Cut, etc.  

In my own comparisons, I really like the feel of the Oncore Elixir, but found that I lose distance with it compared to the Bridgestone Tour B RX.  However, the Snell MTB-Black and Vice Pro are very similar to the RX and quite a bit cheaper.  Currently, I'm still playing the RX, but will do more comparisons with the Vice Pro and Snell Black before finalizing my choice as my gamer.

Yeah, I've looked around at some of the DTC brands and the only one I'm really thinking of considering is Snell (MTB-X model). I think it's the only one that really comes close to matching the quality, consistency, and performance of a trusted/proven brand like a Titleist, Taylormade, or Bridgestone.

But if someone wants to put some of their tests with the DTC models here, that is more than welcome and I'm definitely interested

Edited by cynogriffin

In the Bag:

I read posts on testing golf balls and I have a question. Someone will post something like. “ I want to test ‘X’ ball”, and then say I bought 2-3 dozen to test. Why do people need 2 or 3 dozen balls to test them? I can usually tell with 1 or 2 balls after about 1 or 2 holes whether or not I like the golf ball. 

So I guess the question is why do you need so many dozen balls just to test when usually a sleeve or 2 will do the job?

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

1 hour ago, Kor.A.Door said:

I read posts on testing golf balls and I have a question. Someone will post something like. “ I want to test ‘X’ ball”, and then say I bought 2-3 dozen to test. Why do people need 2 or 3 dozen balls to test them? I can usually tell with 1 or 2 balls after about 1 or 2 holes whether or not I like the golf ball. 

So I guess the question is why do you need so many dozen balls just to test when usually a sleeve or 2 will do the job?

I totally agree with you. For all of the balls that I'm testing, I bought a dozen of each model, all on sale. I would've only bought a sleeve, but my club marks up the sleeves to a ridiculous price and I can't justify paying $12-13 for 3 balls. But at least this way with the dozen, I can give each a fair shake, in case I just might not have been hitting well or whatever on the round I initially test them.

Good question though! I never understand why you would buy 3 dozen of a ball you've never played before. 

In the Bag:

2 hours ago, cynogriffin said:

I totally agree with you. For all of the balls that I'm testing, I bought a dozen of each model, all on sale. I would've only bought a sleeve, but my club marks up the sleeves to a ridiculous price and I can't justify paying $12-13 for 3 balls. But at least this way with the dozen, I can give each a fair shake, in case I just might not have been hitting well or whatever on the round I initially test them.

Good question though! I never understand why you would buy 3 dozen of a ball you've never played before. 

I understand having to buy a dozen/ buying a dozen for testing, it’s the 2 or 3 dozen for testing that I question. What if you don’t like them. 

I’ll tell you what - I played two holes with the Snell MTBx and came away impressed -birdie par. Hit both drives around 245 in opposite directions which is nice for me. The 100 yard wedge shot on the second hike stopped about right - landed pin high and left an 8 footer that I lipped out.

It felt good off the putter. I didn’t get to try green side spin. I normally play the Pro VI x which is a known gif not the king of green side spin.

My gamer in optic would still get the nod but at $28 per I’consider switching next season if Snell makes an optic color.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

5 hours ago, Kor.A.Door said:

I understand having to buy a dozen/ buying a dozen for testing, it’s the 2 or 3 dozen for testing that I question. What if you don’t like them. 

I'm not automatic enough to tell if a ball performed worse after a couple of shots. Sometimes I might catch it a little thin, or heavy, so I like to test balls over a long period of time. I can tell when a ball is absolutely garbage (for me) right away, but not whether or not I like it -- I need to test it for longer. If I don't like them, I'll sell them

2 hours ago, revkev said:

I’ll tell you what - I played two holes with the Snell MTBx and came away impressed -birdie par. Hit both drives around 245 in opposite directions which is nice for me. The 100 yard wedge shot on the second hike stopped about right - landed pin high and left an 8 footer that I lipped out.

It felt good off the putter. I didn’t get to try green side spin. I normally play the Pro VI x which is a known gif not the king of green side spin.

My gamer in optic would still get the nod but at $28 per I’consider switching next season if Snell makes an optic color.

I think the PV1x spins more around the greens than the MTB-X but otherwise they're pretty close in terms of performance for me. I haven't tried the '19 V1x yet, but having the option to play either of these two balls in yellow is nice.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

8 hours ago, revkev said:

Do you mean Optic yellow? The MTB-X is available in Optic yellow.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I just tested the TP5X against the Tour BX. Played 9 holes with each and it was clear to me the Tour BX was heads and shoulders above the TP5X. Here is why.

The Tour BX felt a lot better to me off the driver. It feels explosive which inspires confidence in me. It flies very straight. I do not hit the ball perfectly every time, but this ball was longer than the TP5X on every hole.  Both balls were fine near the green and off the putter. No real differences there.

from 165 and in to 100yds, the BX was once again noticeably longer. Its just different.  The TP5X was fine, but it was not "exciting" and did not present anything different than any other premium ball ive used.  The TP5X was "just another ball"

when I try something new, I hope to get a new experience. I got that with the Tour BX. Its not 50 yards longer or anything crazy but I was easily 10 yards longer. I measured an average of 8 yards on 6 holes with the longest being 17 yards. that's a game changer for me off the driver. If I can get one club closer on approaches, I'm good.

On iron shots under 100 yards, it played about the same as the TP5X. For me, the biggest benefit was off the driver and longer irons. 8 iron and under its pretty much the same as any other premium ball.

I even played the BXS the next day and it flies long as well, but its a more muted, softer feel(sound). I liked the BXS feel off the putter better, so either ball will work for you if you seek the same things I do.

hope this helps someone

Golf is cool

Golf Ball H2H #2: Srixon Z-Star vs. Z-Star XV

Srixon is definitely a dark horse and generally underrated in terms of their premium golf ball offerings. As such, I was very excited for this test between the Z-Star and the Z-Star XV. Having never played a premium Srixon ball before, both of these balls were totally new to me. Let's see what they have to offer!

• XV did seem to go a few yards longer on well-struck shots from the tee

• XV was a hair firmer on drives and putts

• Standard Z-Star did produce more spin into and around the greens

Other Notes:

• As aforementioned, on well-struck shots, the Z-Star XV did seem to have a slight advantage in terms of distance, most notable on the driver with a good amount of roll-out. That being said, I was hitting the standard Z-Star extremely well so it was hard to see too much of an immediate difference between the distance of the two, and therefore I didn't feel like I was giving anything up by playing the Z-Star.

• When it comes to the ball flight, I actually think the standard Z-Star had a higher flight. Once again, this could just be due to the fact that I was hitting better shots with the Z-Star, but it was consistent throughout the 9 holes I played it and even compared to the good shots hit with the XV.

• On approach shots, the standard Z-Star definitely had more spin and consistently stopped on the pitch mark or even rolled back some. Perhaps the most noticeable difference between the two models was how they performed around the green in terms of chipping. The XV rolled out more on every shot compared to the Z-Star that produced more of a "bite" on the chips with it. Also the XV was a touch firmer on putts (which I actually preferred), however both of these were really soft balls.

• As far as quality is concerned, both of these balls are top-notch. They have perhaps the best durability of any of the balls I have tested so far. After 9 holes with each, they both legitimately still looked brand new. This definitely surprised me because I have played a couple of Srixon Soft Feel balls where the outer coating on each one starts to flake off after just a few holes. But both of the Z-Star models were impressive and exceptional in this regard. Both are definitely a high-quality product to be compared with industry leaders like Titleist. Also bonus points for the color of these balls. They are a really bright white which helps finding them and distinguishing them from others on the course. The bright color also had the effect for me of making these balls appear slightly larger than others (I compared them to a Titleist ProV1x). And extra bonus points for being available in yellow as well!

Overall:

To be honest, I am totally impressed with both of these offerings from Srixon. If you're looking for a new ball that is tour quality and cheaper than the competition, you definitely need to have these on your list to try. As far as my personal testing of these go, I wasn't playing all that great when I tested these, so I might have to revisit this test, but I did get to know these balls and was able to get some good results of their performance for my game. I think if you're a soft ball person, you could play either of these. If you are coming off of the Chrome Soft (maybe as a result of the MGS testing) and looking for a really soft ball that still performs exceptionally (as in won't rob you of 10 yards on every shot), then the standard Z-Star is for you. The bottom line here, though, is that the XV goes a hair farther for me, but does sacrifice some performance around the green, so it comes down to what you're looking for or what you're game needs. For me, out of the two, I have to go with the standard Z-Star! I was hitting this ball lights out when I tested it and I loved the performance on my approach shots (I hit 3 more GIR with this model compared to the XV). It gave me the distance I wanted coupled with the control I needed.

In the Bag:

3 minutes ago, cynogriffin said:

Golf Ball H2H #2: Srixon Z-Star vs. Z-Star XV

Srixon is definitely a dark horse and generally underrated in terms of their premium golf ball offerings. As such, I was very excited for this test between the Z-Star and the Z-Star XV. Having never played a premium Srixon ball before, both of these balls were totally new to me. Let's see what they have to offer!

• XV did seem to go a few yards longer on well-struck shots from the tee

• XV was a hair firmer on drives and putts

• Standard Z-Star did produce more spin into and around the greens

Other Notes:

• As aforementioned, on well-struck shots, the Z-Star XV did seem to have a slight advantage in terms of distance, most notable on the driver with a good amount of roll-out. That being said, I was hitting the standard Z-Star extremely well so it was hard to see too much of an immediate difference between the distance of the two, and therefore I didn't feel like I was giving anything up by playing the Z-Star.

• When it comes to the ball flight, I actually think the standard Z-Star had a higher flight. Once again, this could just be due to the fact that I was hitting better shots with the Z-Star, but it was consistent throughout the 9 holes I played it and even compared to the good shots hit with the XV.

• On approach shots, the standard Z-Star definitely had more spin and consistently stopped on the pitch mark or even rolled back some. Perhaps the most noticeable difference between the two models was how they performed around the green in terms of chipping. The XV rolled out more on every shot compared to the Z-Star that produced more of a "bite" on the chips with it. Also the XV was a touch firmer on putts (which I actually preferred), however both of these were really soft balls.

• As far as quality is concerned, both of these balls are top-notch. They have perhaps the best durability of any of the balls I have tested so far. After 9 holes with each, they both legitimately still looked brand new. This definitely surprised me because I have played a couple of Srixon Soft Feel balls where the outer coating on each one starts to flake off after just a few holes. But both of the Z-Star models were impressive and exceptional in this regard. Both are definitely a high-quality product to be compared with industry leaders like Titleist. Also bonus points for the color of these balls. They are a really bright white which helps finding them and distinguishing them from others on the course. The bright color also had the effect for me of making these balls appear slightly larger than others (I compared them to a Titleist ProV1x). And extra bonus points for being available in yellow as well!

Overall:

To be honest, I am totally impressed with both of these offerings from Srixon. If you're looking for a new ball that is tour quality and cheaper than the competition, you definitely need to have these on your list to try. As far as my personal testing of these go, I wasn't playing all that great when I tested these, so I might have to revisit this test, but I did get to know these balls and was able to get some good results of their performance for my game. I think if you're a soft ball person, you could play either of these. If you are coming off of the Chrome Soft (maybe as a result of the MGS testing) and looking for a really soft ball that still performs exceptionally (as in won't rob you of 10 yards on every shot), then the standard Z-Star is for you. The bottom line here, though, is that the XV goes a hair farther for me, but does sacrifice some performance around the green, so it comes down to what you're looking for or what you're game needs. For me, out of the two, I have to go with the standard Z-Star! I was hitting this ball lights out when I tested it and I loved the performance on my approach shots (I hit 3 more GIR with this model compared to the XV). It gave me the distance I wanted coupled with the control I needed.

I liked the Z star standard when I tried it for 4.5 holes a few days ago (lost in trees). But I heard they are discontinuing the Z star, maybe explains the BOGOF deal just now.

Is there a new Z star coming I wonder?

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

20 hours ago, revkev said:

Rev. They make both the MTB black and X in optic yellow

18 hours ago, perseveringgolfer said:

I liked the Z star standard when I tried it for 4.5 holes a few days ago (lost in trees). But I heard they are discontinuing the Z star, maybe explains the BOGOF deal just now.

Is there a new Z star coming I wonder?

They just released an updated version of both this year.  I'd say the BOGO offer is to simply get their name out there a bit more.  I've been an XV player for the past 2 seasons, but won a dozen ZStars from a scramble tournament last month.  Figured I'd put them in play.  I will say, I know what the data said in the MGS test and real world playing has confirmed it.  The ZStar is a few, if any, yards shorter off the tee, but much straighter flight.  I just ordered 4 dozen with the BOGO deal so I'm seriously hoping what you heard is a rumor and not fact because the ZStar is knocking the XV out of my bag.

• PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5* - Graphite Design Tour AD-HD 7 TX
  • TaylorMade M6 15* - PX HZRDUS Green 80 TX
  • Titleist 913 Fd 18* - MCA KuroKage XMS 90 X /// OR /// Callaway XForged UT 20* - Aldila Rogue Black 105 TX
  • Srixon Z745 4-P - PX LZ 7.0
  • Vokey SM7 49F / 53F / 58K - DG TI S400
  • Odyssey Black #3 34”
  • Titleist AVX

Thanks for letting me know on the optic yellow with the Snell ball.

I always buy 4 dozen balls for the season either in December or February. I didn’t get this years order until March so I still have over three dozen.

I will try the Snell ball in earnest after my competitive season ends - late October. I did not get to hit pitch shots around the green with the MTB. From what I’m reading that’s a difference between it and the Pro VIx - my club and one of my league courses have extremely firm greens - you need every bit of spin you can get to control those chips.

Even though all that we’ve seen here just confirms what the MGS test results said it still a nice thread - thanks for starting it.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Just a quick update on the ball testing: I'm really digging the TP5x at the moment. Drove a green with it (actually over the green as it was on the back fringe) on a 300+ par 4 (scorecard said it was 359 yards, but I think it was playing a little shorter that day with the wind helping a bit). I'm loving it off the driver and haven't had any complaints with it around the greens yet, so it's definitely proving to be a strong competitor in my tests so far! I'm curious to see if anything can beat it out as I test some of the Srixons further. I'm continuing to test a bit with the ProV1(x) and they're definitely good balls, but for me and my game I'm seeing similar or better performance from other, cheaper options (well pretty much everything is cheaper right?). I'm just not seeing a dramatic improvement in my game or the consistency or quality of the ball with the Titleist to justify the cost. I'll probably also be throwing in the Bridgestone Tour BXS in this test just to give it a try and possibly the standard TP5 as well as giving the Maxfli Tour balls a try. I want to make sure to give everything I can a decent test before I clean out the bag and settle on one as the definitive gamer for the next couple years. The next head to head review is on it's way!

Edited by cynogriffin

In the Bag:

On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 12:41 PM, cynogriffin said:

Just a quick update on the ball testing: I'm really digging the TP5x at the moment. Drove a green with it (actually over the green as it was on the back fringe) on a 300+ par 4 (scorecard said it was 359 yards, but I think it was playing a little shorter that day with the wind helping a bit). I'm loving it off the driver and haven't had any complaints with it around the greens yet, so it's definitely proving to be a strong competitor in my tests so far! I'm curious to see if anything can beat it out as I test some of the Srixons further. I'm continuing to test a bit with the ProV1(x) and they're definitely good balls, but for me and my game I'm seeing similar or better performance from other, cheaper options (well pretty much everything is cheaper right?). I'm just not seeing a dramatic improvement in my game or the consistency or quality of the ball with the Titleist to justify the cost. I'll probably also be throwing in the Bridgestone Tour BXS in this test just to give it a try and possibly the standard TP5 as well as giving the Maxfli Tour balls a try. I want to make sure to give everything I can a decent test before I clean out the bag and settle on one as the definitive gamer for the next couple years. The next head to head review is on it's way!

You are a 10 HDCP and hit it 300 over the green?  even the robotic test couldn't hit it that far with 115 mph swing......that's crazy.....try the Tour BX if you can. To me, its definitely more explosive than the TP5X which I do not like. The TP5 is much better for me, but right now its the BX and BXS which are in my bag. Both are great

Golf is cool

2 hours ago, Tsecor said:

You are a 10 HDCP and hit it 300 over the green?  even the robotic test couldn't hit it that far with 115 mph swing......that's crazy.....try the Tour BX if you can. To me, its definitely more explosive than the TP5X which I do not like. The TP5 is much better for me, but right now its the BX and BXS which are in my bag. Both are great

Yeah man, the 10 handicap comes from terrible inconsistency, which is really my primary focus this season (getting a consistent ballstrike and flight, hence trying to nail down a good ball to use consistently). Plus, like I said, the tees were a little forward and the wind was helping a bit, so I really got one out there on that hole. But yeah, I do have a higher swing speed and I really like a firmer ball and the TP5x has really been working for me and my game so far. I'm gonna continue to test the Srixon Z-Star XV because they are quality balls and a little cheaper. I've been looking at the Bridgestone Tour BX and really want to try it but can never really find them for a good price. I think the cheapest I found is on Amazon and I haven't gotten around to ordering any yet with all the sells going on at the moment with other balls. The only others I might try on the back end of the testing is the Maxfli Tours and Snell MTB-X because they seem to be working for some others here and are also some cheaper options.

In the Bag:

2 hours ago, cynogriffin said:

Yeah man, the 10 handicap comes from terrible inconsistency, which is really my primary focus this season (getting a consistent ballstrike and flight, hence trying to nail down a good ball to use consistently). Plus, like I said, the tees were a little forward and the wind was helping a bit, so I really got one out there on that hole. But yeah, I do have a higher swing speed and I really like a firmer ball and the TP5x has really been working for me and my game so far. I'm gonna continue to test the Srixon Z-Star XV because they are quality balls and a little cheaper. I've been looking at the Bridgestone Tour BX and really want to try it but can never really find them for a good price. I think the cheapest I found is on Amazon and I haven't gotten around to ordering any yet with all the sells going on at the moment with other balls. The only others I might try on the back end of the testing is the Maxfli Tours and Snell MTB-X because they seem to be working for some others here and are also some cheaper options.

I played the TP5X (didn't love it, it was just ok for me) but when I went to the tour BX, it was the first time in a long time I really noticed a difference in a ball since I first tried the Prov1's years ago....the BX is different off the driver.....but for my overall game, the BXS is better. Plays a little "nicer" from fairway to getting in the hole. The BX is awesome off the tee and through the 6 iron....closer to the green, I like the feel of the BXS better......give it a try.

Golf is cool

Golf Ball H2H #3: Srixon Z-Star vs. Taylormade TP5x

In true head-to-head fashion, for this test I put the winners of the first two tests against each other. The Srixon Z-Star beat out its sister ball, the Z-Star XV, and the Taylormade TP5x took on the industry-leading Titleist ProV1x and emerged victorious. Now it's time to see which of these two winners can hold it's ground when pitted against each other.

• TP5x is obviously a firmer ball and felt much better off the driver.

• Z-Star was fantastic into the wind and on approach shots into greens

Other Notes:

• The distance comparison on this was actually much closer than I anticipated. The TP5x feels better off the driver (where I couldn't really feel how well or poor I was hitting the Z-Star due to it's softness) and actually goes farther when I'm hitting well, but the Z-Star goes surprisingly far as well. To be completely honest, I was actually hitting the ball better while using the Z-Star while swinging just OK with the TP5x, but the Z-Star actually held it's ground as far as distance is concerned and I wasn't able to tell too much of a difference between the two on this occasion. I was, however, hitting the Z-Star much straighter and was much more consistent with it. Like I said, it could've just been the day, but that's how they were performing for me when I tested them under the same conditions.

• The spin is another interesting comparison with these two. While I was getting plenty of spin with the TP5x (enough to where I would be totally satisfied gaming this ball), the Z-Star spin was incredible. I was holding greens from 200+ yards out with it! I had every confidence with the Z-Star to to play an aggressive game into and around the greens, and it really payed off in terms of GIR and scoring opportunities. When chipping, there was actually less of a difference and I was impressed with how both balls performed. The Z-Star is a softer feeling ball, if that's something you're into, but doesn't matter much to me personally.

• It was a very windy day when I conducted this test and this is where the Srixon Z-Star really shined. The TP5x, as noted in a previous test, is pretty good into the wind, but the Z-Star was outstanding! The flight was true, not letting the wind push it around on crosswinds and into the wind no ballooning and a piercing ballflight. It was an absolute dream! This is something that I kept noticing again and again during the course of this test and the ball kept wowing me the entire time.

• When putting, I honestly didn't feel much of a difference. If I really concentrated on it, I could tell the Z-Star was softer, but there was nothing really in it as the TP5x is pretty soft for an "x" model ball. There really wasn't much in it for me.

• Consistency was the another big difference I was seeing between the balls in this test. I was throwing darts with the Z-Star and hitting all my targets (even surprising myself on a number of shots) while it felt like I had absolutely no control at all over the TP5x. The TP5x was all over the place for me that day; it would go a long way but I could never get it going in the right direction or with the right shot shape. Could it be that the 5 layers where just too much for my game right now? Maybe, but all I can say for sure is that the Z-Star and I were clicking and I have the numbers to show for it.

• Lastly, both of these balls are top quality balls. Both feel and perform as a top-tier, premium ball should and I would be more than happy gaming either of these models. Both were good in terms of durability with the Z-Star taking the to seat. The TP5x did well except for one small scuff resulting from a direct hit on a tree, but nothing to cause me to take it out of play. The Z-Star, on the other hand, was an absolute tank of a ball! After 9 holes, this ball looked brand new, even after suffering its own bout with trees, rocks, etc. The Srixon Z-Star's durability is the absolute best of any ball I have ever used.

Overall:

The clear winner here for me has to be the Srixon Z-Star! Pretty much across the board (except for preferring the firmer feel of the TP5x off the driver) the Z-Star has outperformed the TP5x on this test. I didn't really sacrifice any distance by using the Z-Star, while gaining so much control, a great ballflight, amazing spin, and overall just an outstanding performance. The Z-Star gives me everything I could possibly ask for in a ball and I'm loving it so far!

In the Bag: