ole gray

Favorite Putter Design

Our Sponsors

What is your all time favorite putter head design?   For me I may change now and then however I always go back to the #7 design.  Feels good, looks comfortable to my eye, and provides confidence.

#7 for me

• Like 1

David Duval’s Newport Beach

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

#1 for me is the Ping Anser style

#2 would be the #7 Odyssey fang style

#3 would be a heel shafted blade

There are a plethora of derivatives of these 3 styles on the market.

I absolutely love the #9/Del Mar style putters but have the best luck with the x5/5w style putters. Apparently my crappy putting stroke requires the perimeter weighting!

I've always been partial to mallet putters and I find the Odyssey #7 style to be incredibly appeasing to the eye. Also easy to hit.

On 5/31/2019 at 8:56 AM, ole gray said:

What is your all time favorite putter head design?   For me I may change now and then however I always go back to the #7 design.  Feels good, looks comfortable to my eye, and provides confidence.

#7 for me

There is something about the 7 or fang style Putters that is very easy to line up and square straight. Add in the forgiveness and it is certainly a difficult putter to beat. 

• Like 1

I have become a fan of wide’r bodied blade with a double bend shafts.

2 hours ago, Apolloshowl said:

There is something about the 7 or fang style Putters that is very easy to line up and square straight. Add in the forgiveness and it is certainly a difficult putter to beat. 

I recently added another #7 to my stall! 

EVNROLL ER5 HATCHBACK MALLET PUTTER

Evnroll ER5 Hatchback Mallet PutterEvnroll ER5 Hatchback Mallet PutterEvnroll ER5 Hatchback Mallet Putter

This ole boy is in #7 Heaven 😍

• Like 2

Anser style or traditional mallet are always what appealed to my eye. I've tried #7 style and I just don't gravitate towards them. 

• Like 1

The Toulon Las Vegas and Evnroll ER5...and the O-Works Black Tank #7 (minus the insert) are all easy on the eyes. 

But a Anser style head with a flow neck is probably the sexiest thing out there on the putting greens. My stroke won't allow for any sort of toe hang, but I'm jealous for anyone who can game the flow. 

... If a picture is worth a thousand words, here is 5,000 words worth of putters:

putters.jpg.4a1e676460e4400b1021807e13cba0dc.jpg

• Like 2

... If a picture is worth a thousand words, here is 5,000 words worth of putters:

Beautifully said! I concur

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m not great at math, but isn’t that just a single photo? 1*1000 still = 1000 I think...

Beautiful putters though. Wish I had the temperament and stroke to play something that looks like that. I had a Wilson Julius Boros putter with this shape when I started playing in the stone ages. Missed everything.

On 6/6/2019 at 4:52 PM, MmmmmmBuddy said:

I’m not great at math, but isn’t that just a single photo? 1*1000 still = 1000 I think... emoji12.png

Beautiful putters though. Wish I had the temperament and stroke to play something that looks like that. I had a Wilson Julius Boros putter with this shape when I started playing in the stone ages. Missed everything.

... 1 potato 5 potahto's. 🤣  I have a natural heavy gate stroke so heel shafted putts are all I can play. Tried quite a few mallet heel shafted putters but always came back to the 8802 style. My current Bobby Grace 6330 checks all the boxes with heel toe weighting and a roll technology insert so I really have' looked at anything else. 

Edited by chisag
  • Like 1

For me, its a classic heel shafted blade, such as the Wilson 8802.  All feel, no gimmicks.  Even some of the similar mid mallet designs are quite good to me and suit my eye.

For me, it’s gotta be some type of anser or anser copy. ITB this week is a Toulon Austin with Stroke Lab.

So far, so good. No 4 putts.

I've been playing my Scotty Cameron California Monterey 1.5 for the past two years. However, as of today, I just changed to the Taylormade Spider Tour III, same one used by Jason Day and Dustin Johnson. I rented it for a couple days and took it out on course for testing. I putted very well with it and really like the weighting and balance of the head. Since I always line my ball, I like that there is no sight line on the top of the putter. I've never been much on mallet-style putters, but this one's in the bag !

Edited by ward

For me has always been and still is the 8802 style.

I like the look of a mid mallet at address.  A middle ground of the Ping Anser I started with and a full mallet.  If I keep 3 putting this year I may switch back to my old Mizuno black carbon made by Bettinardi.  Always had good distance control with that putter.