Today, I was greeted with a lovely Taylormade iron box.  I walked into the door and saw the box and immediately asked my wife what it was.  She replied with, "I don't know.  You tell me?"  I started going through my mind about all of the searches I've done recently.  I got scared I pocket purchased a club on accident.  I replied with, "I swear babe.  I haven't bought anything.  Especially with out telling you first."  I opened the box and saw the below beauty sitting there.  I picked up the card and was surprised to see I had been selected based on my response to a post.  If I'm being perfectly honest, I can't even remember submitting anything to win the club.  But none the less, I'm thankful for the opportunity. 

Based on my initial thoughts of looking down at the club at address, it's nice.  I don't have a feeling of oh shoot I have to be good to game these.  The wide top line provides the confidence.  The top line doesn't seem overly wide though.  I'm a single digit handicapper right now and I could easily see myself gaming an entire bag of these.  RANT INCOMING: (I really don't understand why most golfers want to have Blades.  I get the allure of the sleek nature of the irons, but from a performance standpoint, if you can't put little round wear marks in your irons, I really don't believe blades is best.  I know there can be outliers, but double digit handis definitely shouldn't be gaming blades.  The point of irons isn't to look the best while you're at address.  Save looking good for apparel.  I'd rather have an iron that performs amazing but doesn't look the greatest.  I understand the point of look good feel good though).

In the coming weeks, I plan on providing my unbiased review of this iron.  I'm currently gaming the Taylormade PSI irons.  We'll see how big of a difference a couple years makes for technology.  I love the feel of the PSI's when I flush them.  It seriously feels like butter when cutting through the ball and the grass.  Coming from the S55's, it's amazing the difference in feel and forgiveness.  

M5.thumb.jpg.d931278941ff88fa2d629dee2dd68eeb.jpgM5-2.thumb.jpg.e85572752f75a0813cbbdabcd511b9da.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Markelly82 said:

Today, I was greeted with a lovely Taylormade iron box.  I walked into the door and saw the box and immediately asked my wife what it was.  She replied with, "I don't know.  You tell me?"  I started going through my mind about all of the searches I've done recently.  I got scared I pocket purchased a club on accident.  I replied with, "I swear babe.  I haven't bought anything.  Especially with out telling you first."  I opened the box and saw the below beauty sitting there.  I picked up the card and was surprised to see I had been selected based on my response to a post.  If I'm being perfectly honest, I can't even remember submitting anything to win the club.  But none the less, I'm thankful for the opportunity. 

Based on my initial thoughts of looking down at the club at address, it's nice.  I don't have a feeling of oh shoot I have to be good to game these.  The wide top line provides the confidence.  The top line doesn't seem overly wide though.  I'm a single digit handicapper right now and I could easily see myself gaming an entire bag of these.  RANT INCOMING: (I really don't understand why most golfers want to have Blades.  I get the allure of the sleek nature of the irons, but from a performance standpoint, if you can't put little round wear marks in your irons, I really don't believe blades is best.  I know there can be outliers, but double digit handis definitely shouldn't be gaming blades.  The point of irons isn't to look the best while you're at address.  Save looking good for apparel.  I'd rather have an iron that performs amazing but doesn't look the greatest.  I understand the point of look good feel good though).

In the coming weeks, I plan on providing my unbiased review of this iron.  I'm currently gaming the Taylormade PSI irons.  We'll see how big of a difference a couple years makes for technology.  I love the feel of the PSI's when I flush them.  It seriously feels like butter when cutting through the ball and the grass.  Coming from the S55's, it's amazing the difference in feel and forgiveness.  

M5.thumb.jpg.d931278941ff88fa2d629dee2dd68eeb.jpgM5-2.thumb.jpg.e85572752f75a0813cbbdabcd511b9da.jpg

I was selected for one of the irons as well.  Not too sure if they will send me the M5 or M6.  I just received the email today as a matter of fact that I should be on the lookout for the iron to test out. 

image.png.1fd67891a97a5d771a9cb8896d9d0182.png

• Like 3

I went to the range Sunday and broke out the M5 7 iron for the first time.  Again, looking down at the ball, the club looks amazing.  I feel confident that if I don't give a good swing, the club will still produce.  one thing I didn't mention above is that I'm 6' 6" tall.  Most of my clubs have been extended from 1.5 inch to .5 inches.  Also, I game a midsize grip.  The club is standard across the board.  The first couple of swings weren't great and didn't feel great off the face.  My typical bad miss is a toe chunk.  Once I got used to the size, the swings got better and the strikes felt more pure.  The ball flight seemed to be in the middle.  The flight wasn't overly low or high.  I looked online and saw the M5 loft was like 30.5, which is definitely strong.  The irons I'm gaming, the loft is over 31.  I plan on going to my course and having the iron extended by .5, regripped, and bending the loft to over 31.  I want to truly have a one to one comparison with my current iron.  I also don't want to have a large gap in between my 8 iron and 7 iron.  

More to come on this review.   

• Like 1

I was also chosen for the free club (M6). Played golf over the weekend but didnt want to bag it during the round. Hit a few shots at the range and was not initially over impressed. I currently game the TM Rocketbladz tour and if you take away the thin strip of cast steel called the "speedbridge" then its the same as the rocketbladz except a strong loft. They both have the speed groove and filler behind the face...

It most likely goes further than my 7-iron because every year they decrease the lofts by about 1 degree. This is well discussed on the new 3rd episode of 'No Putts given.'

Im a fan of TM clubs but irons year over year are not changing THAT much.

• Like 1

I had a new mid-size MCC 4 align grip put on the club.  I also had the club bent to remove loft. I took it to where my PSI 7 iron is which was 32 degrees.  The weather has been awful here in Indiana so I haven't had a chance to take it to the range to practice.  I can't wait to have the opportunity to hit this club.  I'm hoping to change my mind about the club from the first outing. 

On 5/31/2019 at 7:58 AM, Markelly82 said:

Those look to have a "power/speed slot" (or whatever they choose to call it) much like the Wilson D7's?  

Hit the M5 7i (XP 100 stiff) vs Mizzy 919 HM 7i (Modus 105 stiff) for 30-40 minutes in the highly precise launch monitors of a local big box store. Numbers couldn't have been more similar. Back was stiff and was swinging 5-10mph less than normal, plus no warmup. 

Ball Speed: HM +0.4 mph (95.7) ~5-8 mph slow for me compared to trackman numbers for AP1 and my current S3 cobras. 
Launch Angle: HM +0.7 deg (25.0)
Spin: HM +900 rpm (5480)
Peak Height: HM +1 (27 yards)
Descent Angle: HM +1 (46 deg)
Carry/Total Distance 128/138 (1 yard more carry, 1 yard less total than M5)
Offline: M5 1 left, HM 6 right

I felt the M5s were actually more forgiving especially on thin shots due to the speed slot and was completely surprised the performance was so close. Dispersion circles were basically overlapping as well. 

• Like 1

Dispersion chart. The one hook is not included that was hit with the m5 but it was calculated as part of the stats above. 

20190703_151623.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/31/2019 at 9:58 AM, Markelly82 said:

I could not agree with you more on that one. I too am gaming the TM PSI irons and absolutely love them. The forged 8,9 and Pw are so $$ when you hit them. Congrats on the big win though let us know how the iron performs.

On 6/18/2019 at 12:27 PM, Markelly82 said:

I had a new mid-size MCC 4 align grip put on the club.  I also had the club bent to remove loft. I took it to where my PSI 7 iron is which was 32 degrees.  The weather has been awful here in Indiana so I haven't had a chance to take it to the range to practice.  I can't wait to have the opportunity to hit this club.  I'm hoping to change my mind about the club from the first outing. 

Okay, i know i just responded but his is just weird now. I am 6ft 5 and need my irons lengthened by an inch. i also game midsize align golf pride grips haha. Not to mention on the exact same irons as you.

On 7/4/2019 at 4:05 PM, BMart519 said:

Hit the M5 7i (XP 100 stiff) vs Mizzy 919 HM 7i (Modus 105 stiff) for 30-40 minutes in the highly precise launch monitors of a local big box store. Numbers couldn't have been more similar. Back was stiff and was swinging 5-10mph less than normal, plus no warmup. 

Ball Speed: HM +0.4 mph (95.7) ~5-8 mph slow for me compared to trackman numbers for AP1 and my current S3 cobras. 
Launch Angle: HM +0.7 deg (25.0)
Spin: HM +900 rpm (5480)
Peak Height: HM +1 (27 yards)
Descent Angle: HM +1 (46 deg)
Carry/Total Distance 128/138 (1 yard more carry, 1 yard less total than M5)
Offline: M5 1 left, HM 6 right

I felt the M5s were actually more forgiving especially on thin shots due to the speed slot and was completely surprised the performance was so close. Dispersion circles were basically overlapping as well. 

Are these your normal shafts?  With that ball speed, I would think your gamers have regular or senior flex shafts.  If that's the case, this is not really a useful comparison.