Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Garmin or Apple? Golf watches

I use a Garmin Approach G10 GPS thingie now, Yes, thingie is a technical term!

It can clip onto your belt or bag, ride in your pocket, get lost in the bottom of your bag, wherever! It’s small, lightweight, accurate enough for me and cheap enough. Plastic, crackable as I found out. About $100. I like it, it does what I need for getting ranges to the greens.

But I find myself having to listen for my phone for texts or calls. My phone rides in the bag, not in my pocket. As much as I’d to tell the world to go away while I’m playing, that isn’t realistic. I need to stay in touch to a degree. This is where I think a smart watch would come in handy.

We all know either the Garmin or Apple smart watches will function as a golf watch. GPS, keep score, maybe some other fancy function I haven’t heard of. Both will notify you of calls and texts, which is what I need. Both have functionality way beyond what I will ever use.

Cost-wise there isn’t a lot of difference. The Garmin Vivoactive 3 can be picked up right now for $156. An Apple Watch 3 for $188. (I’m cheap and will not spend a ton on these things that get outdated in a heartbeat, hence the older models listed here)

For what it’s worth I use an iPhone 8 now but I am not an Apple fan boy. Value carries the day for me, not fads.

Which one do you good folks think is the better?

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

I have had 2 Apple watches. Series 1 and just upgraded to series 4. They work great. I haven’t used the garmin as I am almost strictly a laser guy. Are you just using it strictly for golf? If not I would say go with the Apple. You always wear it and will serve multiple purposes. I have used Golfshot and arccos gps on Apple Watch and both function ok. I just prefer the laser. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

Thanks Zip.

The main use would be golf related. I’m a computer guy so I’m surrounded by clocks all the time. Or my phone is in my back pocket. The exception is when I’m playing golf.

I laser at times as well but have ended up using the gps most of the time. Quicker than trying to shoot a pin.

Being a die hard Apple cult follower I cannot being myself to purchase anything but Apple electronics that I can.

Funny though, I buy Samsung for my large electronics and appliances.

I’m in your same boat. My wife wants a Garmin for running, and I want a Apple Watch for golf, and running. Yet she tells me I need a garmin for that.

What to do? 🤷🏼‍♂️

If that’s the case I would take a good look at battery life. The Apple needs a daily charge even without using the gps. My guess would be the garmin would be a lil bit better in that regard.

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

YMMV, but this is from the experience I’ve gotten with both my Apple Watch, and old Garmin approach watch and a Garmin Vivoactive 3 owned by my dad.  

The the presentation of the Apple Watch is better and the UI is slightly more polished as well. However the screen is just that it’s practically a small iPhone on your wrist, therefore must be awaken to be of any use. That to me is a an absolute pain while I’m playing golf. I want to be able to look down and go. With that said, the Apple Watch will work a little bit more seamlessly with your phone.  Overall battery life, to me, sucks—and I wear one almost everyday.

I have found the Garmin to be a little bit more simple and more like a traditional watch. For golf, I much prefer it over the Apple Watch in both my old watch and the new Vivoactive. The Vivoactive pairs with iPhone easily, but the notifications and communication features just aren’t on the same level as the Apple Watch. I personally prefer the health data from the Garmin. My favorite thing about the Garmin is the screen. It’s not as detailed nor sharp as my Apple Watch, but because of that it is always lit and the battery life is far superior to the Apple.

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

Thank you JohnSmalls. Direct comparison between the two is what I needed.

I thought raising your wrist would wake the Apple watch? Maybe not.

Have I made up my mind yet? No but I have some solid thoughts to help

10 hours ago, toehold57 said:

Thank you JohnSmalls. Direct comparison between the two is what I needed.

I thought raising your wrist would wake the Apple watch? Maybe not.

Have I made up my mind yet? No but I have some solid thoughts to help emoji106.png

Per the usual with technology and programmed “gestures”, my Apple watch is very hit and miss with the raise the arm to wake gesture.  Again, ymmv.

I encourage you to do as much research as you can.  Both are good watches in their own right. Enjoy whichever you choose. 

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

Strictly for what it's worth:

I had a Samsung Gear Fit Pro2 that I got for completely non-golf-related reasons.  I was playing with a friend who had a laser, I was using 18 Birdies for yardages at the time, and it occurred to me that there may be an app I could add to my watch so I didn't have to carry my phone with me.

A little research, and I discovered Taylormade had "partnered" with Samsung to push their MyRoundPro to the Samsung smart watches.  It gives me front, middle and back distances.  It works with the Sport I'm currently using, and worked with the Gear Fit Pro2 I was using previously.  If I can remember to mark my shots on the watch, which is always an issue, it will give me stats at the end of the round.  These include strokes gained and distances for each shot.  I'm sure if I used the app better, there would be a lot more there for me as well.

Just another option to consider.  Trying to decide probably isn't hard enough.

I always try to remember that I'm not good enough to get mad!

My Bag:

:ping-small:  G400 Max

:ping-small:  G30 3W

:cobra-small: King S9-1 5W

:taylormade-small: Aeroburner 3 Rescue/Hybrid

:ping-small: G400  5-UW

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52* and 56*

:rife-putters-1: 2Bar Mallet

:ping-small: Traverse II Cart Bag

I currently am using the Garmin s20 gps watch which I got just a about two months ago ($150).  It works great!  It is pretty accurate as far as giving distances to the front, middle and back of greens and does a great job with sand and water hazards.  You can move the pin to different locations on the green to get a more accurate measurement if needed but I just use the basic info.  The watch keeps score for you, can give you layup distances (which comes in handy) and will track your steps like a fitbit.  It is able to sync to your phone so you can read texts if you want as well.  If you get the app for your phone, you can track each shot and distances for clubs to gain that much more information, although I don't really use that part of it.  The battery life is not bad, I can get about three rounds in until it needs a recharge.  I would highly recommend it!  

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

I love my vivoactive 3 music for golf and all other activity. If you do a lot of sports the VA is great. The golf function works great and I've been tracking my scores and stats with it for a while now which is helpful. I love the last shot feature that automatically displays the distances of your last shot. Has helped me a lot with my distances. I'm an Apple hater so never tried the other side.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I’m Apple in most things, since my first Mac Plus in 1985 or so. But I’ve never gotten an Apple watch, partly my iPhone is enough of a virtual leash and partly because I can’t see it without “cheaters.” I use a Garmin G20, though. Three rounds on a charge seems about right, but if you don’t use it for golf it only drains about 1% per day, so if you go a few days between rounds you won’t charge it before one round, get to the course for the next and find you only have 7% battery. The information on the primary screen (middle/back/front) is readable in sunlight without glasses, and the Garmin golf app seems pretty solid. I use it to track my driving distance, but it’s sometimes fun to scroll through the round and relive the better holes.

Get the Garmin... I have the original 2nd gen Apple watch and Garmin 945. I can tell you that I take the apple watch off for golf and running or exercise, it is just a much more specialized piece of equipment. If you're a runner/swimmer/biker etc there is so much more accurate data on it. Buddy and I run together he has apple watch and his watch is never the same distance as mine by .25 miles more or less, also the same loop around the same lake never gets measured the same by apple. 

Especially since you said you're not an apple fan boy, the Garmin will allow you to keep using it, if you decide your next phone isnt an iphone. 

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

Disclaimer: I'm an Apple hater (2 lawsuits, won both). I have a Garmin Vivoactive 3 Music. I didn't get it for golf, but that was a nice bonus. At least for running, the Garmin GPS has been third-party tested to be significantly more accurate than Apple. I don't know if that translates to golf, but it's a data point. Because I use the watch for multiple things, I keep an eye on battery usage. In normal, non-GPS mode I get almost a week out of the battery. 18 holes of golf takes about 20% of the battery. I keep my charger in the bathroom, and recharge whenever I shower. In the time it takes to shower and dress I get about a 50% charge if it's low, about 15% if it's just top off. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Moose, my cat, is Siamese

The Apple Watch is a great watch, but if you are using the GPS on it (as opposed to the phone), the battery runs out pretty quick.  I prefer the simplicity of the Garmin S20.  I don't use it for anything but yardage.

:ping-small:G410 plus driver,:taylormade-small:Aeroburner 3W, :cobra-small:F6 Baffler 
:callaway-small:XR 4, 5 hybrids
:titleist-small:2021 T300 6 - GW, SW irons
:callaway-small: Mack Daddy CB 58/12 wedge
Axis1 Rose putter

Alternates: Srixon ZX4 MKII irons

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/17/2019 at 5:15 AM, Dr Strangelove said:

The Apple Watch is a great watch, but if you are using the GPS on it (as opposed to the phone), the battery runs out pretty quick.  I prefer the simplicity of the Garmin S20.  I don't use it for anything but yardage.

While it still won't match a "golf watch" like the Garmin, the newest Apple Watch 4 has a really great battery life compared to previous models. A typical round will only use about 20% of the battery life.

Titleist TS3 9.5* w/Accra TZ5 65 X-Stiff
Titleist TS3 15* w/Fujikura Ventus 7X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 20* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 23* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Titleist 718 CB 5 iron w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist 718 MB 6-PW w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist SM7 Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Bettinardi Queen B 10 34.5"
Titleist Pro V1 or Snell MTB-X

On 6/28/2019 at 1:24 PM, chershey said:

While it still won't match a "golf watch" like the Garmin, the newest Apple Watch 4 has a really great battery life compared to previous models. A typical round will only use about 20% of the battery life.

Is that still true if you are using the GPS on the watch rather than the phone? To do so, you need to put the phone in airplane mode.

:ping-small:G410 plus driver,:taylormade-small:Aeroburner 3W, :cobra-small:F6 Baffler 
:callaway-small:XR 4, 5 hybrids
:titleist-small:2021 T300 6 - GW, SW irons
:callaway-small: Mack Daddy CB 58/12 wedge
Axis1 Rose putter

Alternates: Srixon ZX4 MKII irons

On 6/29/2019 at 5:58 PM, Dr Strangelove said:

Is that still true if you are using the GPS on the watch rather than the phone? To do so, you need to put the phone in airplane mode.

Good to know. I usually carry my phone in my pocket, so it never occurred to me that the watch wouldn't use it's internal GPS. I know I upgraded from the Apple Watch 2 to the 4 about 6 months ago and saw a huge increase in battery life as a result. For instance, when I go on runs, using the internal GPS of the watch, the Apple Watch 4 only uses about a quarter of what the Apple Watch 2 used for the same run. 

Titleist TS3 9.5* w/Accra TZ5 65 X-Stiff
Titleist TS3 15* w/Fujikura Ventus 7X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 20* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 23* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Titleist 718 CB 5 iron w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist 718 MB 6-PW w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist SM7 Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Bettinardi Queen B 10 34.5"
Titleist Pro V1 or Snell MTB-X