Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Head Case and huh?

revkev

So I went for my Ping fitting this week and after completing the long game fitting for MGS looked at the rest of my bag except for putter.

Obviously I’m saving the long game stuff for stage 1 of the test thread. There will be a lot there that you will want to read from all the testers.

So to the point of this thread. My driver Swing Speed did reveal they I’ve gained around 10 mph since last Spring when I was fit for my G400. So you would think that I’d need a radical change in equipment -

“Not so,” said the fitter as he looked at what I currently have in my bag - “the G30 is a great iron and you have a fabulous shaft in it (Aerotech Volant). We’ve already established that you hit it beautifully, they fit you, heck I’m a plus 2 and I could game those.”

Armed with that knowledge I’ve been to the range twice since and hit my irons great. Sometimes knowing the club fits is all that matters. Now I know it’s me when I hit a poor shot so I can focus on what I’m doing rather than worrying about whether or not a good swing will produce a poor result because of the club or ball (I play the Pro VIx exclusively).

Driver did require a change. I peeled off several nice looking drives but he said they were launched a bit low and with not enough spin. That shows that my swing has changed some through SS training. I had big spin issues at my fitting last Spring - the best we could do was mid 3,000s. I was in the low 2,000 with that same set up.

So it was on to the G410 plus because “I can get you some more distance here. Just take this, hit it and don’t look.”

So I did - hates the sound and the ball flight looked like a pop up. “You carried that one 223” - my normal carry is 210-215 “and it went dead straight.” So I hit it again, “225” and again, “225.” By the third or fourth swing I didn’t mind the sound nor the 225 carry 240 total that I was getting and the dispersion pattern looked like I was hitting a wedge.

So I looked - 12 degree loft, 45 gram senior flex shaft - I was launching it at 15 with spin rates below 3,000. It reminded me of the SLDR that I used to game - but the fitter promises this will be more forgiving and despite the high launch it will work into the wind.

So to summarize I’ve gained 10 mph in driver SS, still my irons fit fine and with driver I went to more loft and a lighter, weaker shaft to gain distance, consistency in ball flight and accuracy. Go figure.

He loved my wedges and putter BTW.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

21 minutes ago, revkev said:

but the fitter promises this will be more forgiving and despite the high launch it will work into the wind.

I've gotten past the sound my 410 SFT makes too and if yesterday's range session is any indication, it is indeed forgiving as all get up. Out of around 25 hits with it, I had 4 or 5 that I either hit from the toe or high up on the face that still flew fairly straight and out to the 220 range. It was a good session for me where I could actually tell if it was a bad strike or not by both sound and feel. I hope what you found there will produce dividends for you and I'm real excited to read all of the pending stage-I's for the tests. Keep 'em coming Rev!

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers