GolfSpy STUDque

STUDque Plays the Southern Maryland Amateur

But seriously... Play the course, work your game plan, focus on *your* game and tune out distractions.

Heard a great line at a clinic earlier this year:

"Confident swing on a conservative line."

• Like 1

You’ll be fine, play your game and to your strengths and ENJOY IT

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

This will be a lot of fun!  Enjoy the experience again & play your game that you know how to play.  It will come back to you & the juices will be flowing.  Getting in competitive rounds every now & then is good for the golfing soul.  I miss those days of high school & college for sure.  

• Like 2

16 hours ago, GolfSpy STUDque said:

Current State of my Game

Really wanted to do a course overview first but Arccos has a number of the tee boxes in weird places. I sent an email to help them get that straight. In the meantime, here's a baseline for where my game stands:

First off, my gapping. There's no glaring gaps so I feel like I'm playing the correct set. I'm getting to the point where I'm feeling good about my yardages but there's still work to go to slim those ranges down. Invariably, there'll be wiggle room due to changing conditions.

D3E97572-9E9F-4796-8EA0-1597FCAF5807.jpeg

Thanks to the stats,  I've focused much harder on driving and approach over the past 6 months and those overall numbers are trending downward. Two big areas I need to continue improving on is  1) accept risk off the tee and still deliver and 2) execute the easy shots from the fairway. 

BTW: Yes I entered the tourney as a 12 and yes Arccos shows me at 10.3. For those that use Arccos, you'll know that the overall HC tends to be a little lower than real life. 

8B9B1914-3B19-4BCC-8C4E-4A901DA4A94A.jpeg

Off the tee, I've got a nasty habit of trying to baby it into the fairway by taking less than driver. Testing the G410 Plus has inspired me to pull the big dog every chance I get and the results have been showing. My ball flight is a fade but I sometimes get in front and hook it wide left. While that fairway % isn't overly impressive, it's up quite a bit from this time last year. 

1AC7041E-1619-4DB0-8FCC-FB7E9DC1E8B2.jpeg

Thanks to advice here, I've been really trying to take more club coming into greens. For the most part, it's helped as I've raised my GIR by 3% but there's still a ways to go. Clubbing up and launching it into the woods is a big deterrent. 

62FA74B2-6089-4D6A-8FAF-3436072C9B20.jpeg

In case it's not obvious, I'm pretty hot and cold in this stat. Not really from round to round, but DEFINITELY throughout a single round. I could hole out over a bunker then bunt one that barely gets onto the green with the pin 50ft away. IMO, club selection plays a key role here because I'm too quick to pull the 56* where a PW would be the better play. 

FA79169C-F4DA-4F97-AF53-8F167CFD935D.jpeg

Sample size in Arccos for Sand is small so I'm gonna skip over that and go to putting. Quick BLUF is that I'm just as streaky from the sand as I am chipping. 

I never thought I was a good putter until Arccos told me I was. Funny how that worked because my confidence increased and made me even better. If I had to attribute it to anything, I'd put it on a putter test I did 2 years ago that really got me rolling smooth. Mid-spring I made a putter switch that drove my cap upwards with multiple 3-putts per round so I switched back and it's been coming back down. Generally speaking, this is my only stat that hovers in the "+" range; it's just a little higher now due to the failed experiment. 

D90BA21E-E082-458C-B8B8-E206B23A939C.jpeg

Well there you have it. Here's the kind of player that I'll be taking to the tourney. Like many people in my HC bracket, streaky fits the description well. Here's hoping for a hot streak. 

You are a lot longer than I am but probably a whole lot younger> I am 62 years old---- Good example on your driver at your lowest number (262) that is about max for me with roll out--- Your 3 wood also My max with roll out is around 220---- On your irons you are two clubs longer than I am--- But you do have great yardages

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BIG STU said:

You are a lot longer than I am but probably a whole lot younger> I am 62 years old---- Good example on your driver at your lowest number (262) that is about max for me with roll out--- Your 3 wood also My max with roll out is around 220---- On your irons you are two clubs longer than I am--- But you do have great yardages

And you'd still whip me with those persimmons 😂

8 hours ago, cksurfdude said:

Heard a great line at a clinic earlier this year:

"Confident swing on a conservative line."

That's a great line, I'll keep that in mind. Looking back, the conservative swing on a conservative line leads to wayward shots. 

• Like 5

The website had been having issues but now it's all good and shows me as an entrant. 84 players signed up so far so I'm liking my chances of getting an early tee time for rounds 1&2. Here's the website if you want it. Under the history tab, I'm pretty sure you'll find me in the 2012 or 2013 results:

http://www.somdamgolf.com/default.asp

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

On the practice side, I went out today for a bit to the pitching green. After not playing last week, boy oh boy did it start rough. Sequence, form, contact, and alignment were all out of sorts. By the end of the session I was showing some progress but I'm going to have to keep on it. Crazy how much you can lose that quickly. 

My day job is looking to be quite busy both weeks leading up to the tourney so I'm gonna have to get time in this week and next then try to maintain enough leading into the event. Not the ideal schedule but it is what it is. 

• Like 3

Good luck Stud! Looking forward to the updates along the way.
A friend's 90 year old grandfather gave me some great advice about a year ago. He said when on the golf course keep all your thoughts POSITIVE!

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Ok stud you have this.. it's just 3 rounds of golf. A game you play for FUN so go have fun and guess what at the end of the day we will all still be here for ya..

Sent from my SM-G900V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Went to the range after work today. Spent a fair bit of time working on irons on/off the tee. 4 irons was troublesome but the rest of the bag was just a little off so there's progress on yesterday. Wedge game was much better.

As I was finishing up, it started to sprinkle. I hadn't seen rain in the forecast so I kept hitting. Then suddenly WOOOOOSSHHHH immediate downpour. I hit my last 5 balls and walked to the car. Not only was the rain strong, there was little bits of hail mixed in that was pelting my face walking to the car. Had to cover my face to make it. Legitimately looked like I took a shower with my clothes on.

Oh what we do for this game. I wanted to putt too but I guess I'll work on that tomorrow. 

• Like 5

Just prepping like Rick.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

All my stuff is still soaked. I wasn't kidding when I said it was a torrential downpour. My garage has golf stuff scattered all over in an attempt to dry stuff out. Wet or dry, I've gotta pack it all up for tomorrow as I'm fortunate enough to join @jb0330 for a charity scramble. As luck would have it, I get to play the same course I'll be playing for this tournament. What better practice round than a scramble???

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The Course Preview

Course: Breton Bay Golf and Country Club

Length: 6659 yards from the Blue Tees

Fairways: Bermuda

Greens: Bent Grass

Hole by hole strategy is therapeutic for me to plot my rounds but I hope you find it interesting as well. One thing is for sure, the course will be in immaculate shape with smooth, fast greens, lush rough, manicured bunkers, and fancy cups they only bust out for this occasion. 

In my markups, I'm considering yellow areas to avoid, blue areas of interest, and the yardages aimed at the landing spots. Without further ado....

F565D4C5-48CB-4AC1-9468-5DDF37BD1643.jpeg

Nothing about hole 1 should be challenging but it always is. An elevated tee increases any miss and there's trouble on both sides with hazard left and driving range right. I usually aim at the tree marked by a blue arrow with hopes it'll drift back into the fairway. Over the bunker in the rough is a safe miss. 

The approach is usually me getting out of trouble but you can attack any pin from the fairway. 

8CF9EE02-1107-4A25-A4E7-128EB7D4A8D6.jpeg

Most tee shots will be safe but the further left you can go, the better the angle. Hole 2 is always defined by your approach. OB left and long surrounding an elevated green makes the approach a risky proposition. The longer the drive, the safer you'll be with height on the second shot. 

4147871F-BB43-462D-9705-8E7E8DFAC52E.jpeg

I always figure Hole 3 would be one of those that would get turned into a par 4 if the pros played it. The Arccos tee box is wrong so the carry over the bunker is actually about 250. From there, you can approach the green with an iron if far enough right. If things are really sideways, there's a bail out in the adjacent fairway that still gives a clear shot to the green if you can elevate. Pin position could affect the approach by as many as 3 clubs. OB long is a big consideration. The green is massive front to back but narrow left to right. Big slope from back to front can leave some dicey putts if you're in the wrong section. If played smartly, definite birdie opportunity. 

9BEE127C-656B-408D-B4F7-4CDA000A8800.jpeg

I'm not a big fan of Hole 4. OB lines the entire right side of the fairway. My ball flight with driver just does. not. draw. but I can hit a nice one with my 3 wood to clear the corner. The approach varies from easy to difficult depending on pin location. I'm sure it'll be tucked behind the bunker at least once and in the back once. It's hard to get it all the way back there. 

90A70553-D6A7-47FD-924E-260E97D6C8F8.jpeg

Hole 5 brings the first par 3. There's a nice little fountain feature in the pond for asthetics. Standing on the tee, the only part of the green that can be seen is the front as that bunker is raised to gobble up shots. The right bunker is difficult to get out of but most other areas around the green are manageable with the prime bail out spot being right in front of the green. 

735E0684-5C28-4809-9494-72079485D9DE.jpeg

Take as much risk as your stomach can handle on Hole 6. OB lines the fairway on both sides. A well struck hybrid or 3W will settle you atop the plateau with a nice angle in. Cut the corner with driver and you're looking at a pitch shot with an awkward angle. There's a small valley between the white lines. The green has 2 distinct and flat tiers with a small transition swale in the middle. 

53591134-EC45-4EAD-9EFD-C2F9C86404BF.jpeg

Hole 7 begins a climb up to the clubhouse and is uphill the entire way. A high fade with the driver will pop over the tall corner trees but beware running through as a penalty area in the form of a creek runs along the tree line to the left of the fairway. The green can be reached in 2 from the fairway but a nice 100y layup can be found in the pocket within the blue circle. Most approaches require height to get closer to the hole. Long is safe however. 

41CC6C61-6690-4D13-8571-262F2959E5FE.jpeg

Not only is Hole 8 long, but the air is dead in here as trees line from all edges (including behind the green not pictured). The tee is elevated but not enough to make a difference. I'll need a well struck 4 iron to get there. If I make par on this hole, I'm sprinting to the next tee. 

6ACAA271-9CDB-427C-8344-77083422D988.jpeg

Hole 9 climbs back up to the clubhouse. Driver is ok to pull here because I can keep it clear of the pond to the right and don't have to worry about it running into the trees due to how sloped upward the fairway is. Missing left is in jail with a heavy tree line. No approach locations are able to see the green and it's really easy to come up short. Plan to club up here. 

Thus concludes the front 9 handshake. Stay tuned for the back 9 where mental fortitude is tested. 

• Like 6
  • Love 2

50 minutes ago, GolfSpy STUDque said:

Feel free to share any strategy ideas you may have as I'm open to suggestion.

Here's mine: Don't screw it up. 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Arccos is a wonderful tool and your preparation is admirable.

It appears that it is a tight course (but tough to tell on pics) one thing I do is use google earth to measure distance width wise from trouble to trouble in landing areas (via Decade advice). If nothing else it helps my confidence off tee, because I too struggle to release the big dog in a tourney. I will then write down what club I will use for every drive. Helps me reinforce the decision.

On approach shots 90% of the time I will aim for center of green. This is hard to stick to but really helps scoring. 

Pick a target, commit to it and swing aggressively. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Stud.. my only advice is not to over think every thing.. don't start 2nd guessing yourself.. go play YOUR round and have fun..

• Like 1

16 hours ago, GolfSpy STUDque said:

Hole by hole strategy is therapeutic for me to plot my rounds but I hope you find it interesting as well.

I too draw catharsis from plotting out an overall tourney game plan. I'll also play out the round (as intended) from tee-to-green, several times in my head.

My advice: choose small targets and be decisive (waffling is the greatest enemy of tournament golf)

And FWIW - #7 and #17 both look like irons off the tee to me.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, downlowkey said:

I too draw catharsis from plotting out an overall tourney game plan. I'll also play out the round (as intended) from tee-to-green, several times in my head.

My advice: choose small targets and be decisive (waffling is the greatest enemy of tournament golf)

And FWIW - #7 and #17 both look like irons off the tee to me.

You know, I had never thought about hitting iron off 17. Given the down-slope for a 2nd shot, I just may do that to sit on even ground. I've played short off 7 before and may do it in the tournament too...depends on how I'm swinging driver. Great tips, thanks!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

We finished the charity scramble yesterday after a lengthy rain delay. Just for fun, I hooked up Arccos to see how crazy the stats can look with a group. There wasn't much extra in play besides 1 kick, 1 throw, and 4 mulligans per team. We left a few shots out there as none of the mulligans paid off but what can ya do. T3 and missed a prize due to tiebreakers. 

03119CC4-65F5-4E1C-910B-630CA3CB7566.jpeg

Really cool to see insane stats in Arccos though 😂. All the years I've been here, first time I've played a scramble on this course. My personal swing was off just enough that I was very inconsistent.  Only used 6 of my full swings and I had a few more that were basically the same result as what we used but were not better. Other than that, lots of solid contact, wipey fades. Need to spend some time working on staying inside the ball. 

• Like 5

19 hours ago, THEZIPR23 said:

Arccos is a wonderful tool and your preparation is admirable.

It appears that it is a tight course (but tough to tell on pics) one thing I do is use google earth to measure distance width wise from trouble to trouble in landing areas (via Decade advice). If nothing else it helps my confidence off tee, because I too struggle to release the big dog in a tourney. I will then write down what club I will use for every drive. Helps me reinforce the decision.

On approach shots 90% of the time I will aim for center of green. This is hard to stick to but really helps scoring. 

Pick a target, commit to it and swing aggressively. 

Tight in some places, wide in others. Most shots require a specific purpose and distance. I'm going to take your advice and write down my clubs by tee shot. For now, this is my plan for round 1:

1. Driver
  2. Driver
  3. Driver
  4. 3w
  5. 5/6/7 iron depending on pin
  6. Hybrid
  7. Driver (for round 1)
  8. 4 iron
  9. Driver
  10. 5 iron
  11. 5/6 iron depending on pin
  12. Driver
  13. Driver
  14. Hybrid
  15. 8/9 iron depending on pin
  16. Uhhhhh. Hybrid and pray 😁
  17. 4 iron (you're on the hook @downlowkey 😉)
  18. Driver

18 hours ago, Reesedw said:

Stud.. my only advice is not to over think every thing.. don't start 2nd guessing yourself.. go play YOUR round and have fun..

I absolutely am. This whole thread is an exercise in overthinking 😂 I'm doing it for the content 👍

• Like 3
  • Haha 1