TESTERS WANTED! ×

DIY Driving Iron

Had a big win online when I found a Ping G700 4 iron for $60 that was barely used. Only downside was it came with a Modus 105 XS shaft and I usually play an R or S flex in iron shafts, but still in the 105 gram range so I am going to give it a few swings at the range this week. I have a spare grip and am going to search for a stiff graphite shaft, likely in the 70g range to turn this into a driving iron. I am going to check out a local club builder that may have some cheap shaft pulls and see if I can "donate" the Modus XS plus new MCC Align grip to get a graphite replacement for cheap. 

In my old hybrids I play stiff 65g Fujikura Motore shafts that I hit well. So i am using that a reference point to try a 70g replacement. 

Has anybody done similar projects with a blended set using an GI/SGI as their long irons? How did you decide on the appropriate graphite shaft? Did you go for a fitting?

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

I did this a couple years ago with a Taylormade Speedblade 4i.  I put a 92g diamana whiteboard in it.  I built it for a specific tee shot on my home course and it worked great.  I've since moved on but still have the club in the basement.

As for picking which shafts it's just like any other club in the bag, it's best to get fit.  

The issues you may run in to are the the hosel size of the irons.  I believe the G700 irons are .355 and most hybrid shafts in graphite are .370.  Ping is also notorious for having a slightly larger than average hosel.  They typically used collared ferrules which takes up some of the slack in the gap at the top of the hosel.  

Also when doing a project like this you have to pay close attention to the swing weight of the club.  Going from a 105g steel shaft to a 70g graphite shaft is going to make the club extremely light.  You will need to had a bunch of tip weight if you want to get the swing back up.

All that said it's a fun project, I'd just recommend having someone with some experience do the build and be aware of the fitting and weight issues that may come up.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Good points to consider, thanks for the feedback. Maybe I will replace it with a traditional iron shaft since I am considering a full set of the G700 or G410 to make it a normal set. 

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

G700 isn’t exactly a typical head style for driving irons. High launch low spin head with g700.

i would talk to a fitter about best shaft to put in there for you that accomplishes what you want from this spot in the bag

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

• 2 months later...

Based on some of the feedback here I decided to purchase a ping awt 2.0 stiff shaft from a pull on ebay. Longest I could fine was 5 iron length. After the 3 range sessions the head was coming unglued..  Never having Golf Town do any club work other than grips going forward. 

Brought it to a fitter to have the head glued and took it out on the course this weekend for the first time. Hit it side by side with the 4 iron from my iron set on a couple tee shots. Dropped a ball in the rough to see if the massive g700 head could get through some wet rough. Surprisingly it did ok and I rolled one up on the green from 190 out with a side hill lie. 

Best shot was off the tee on a short par 4 into a 1-2 club head wind that shot scope had as 226 yards in the fairway. I later hit a driver 265 into the same head wind, so pretty happy with the results at this point.

Not bad for about $125 all in with a modus 120x sitting around afterwards. 

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60