Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Hybrids - are they a wood or an iron?

I recently got fitted at a demo day for new irons and driver, but due to time restrictions, wasn't able to hit any hybrids. I'm wondering, do most people play hybrids with a shaft that is the hybrid/wood model of their driver or do you all play a differing version of your irons? For reference, my driver has a project x even flow black 6.5 75g shaft (114-116 CHS), and my irons have a C-taper X stiff (92-94 CHS). Looking for what others have had the most success with or thoughts.

... Hybrids are one of the truly remarkable clubs because they can be assembled to play any way you want or need. Although I have the same shaft in both my hybrids, the Matrix Altus 85, I shortened my 21.5* Tour 4 Hy 1/2" to play more like a 4 iron replacement and lengthened my 18.5* 3 Hy 1/2" to play more like a 5 wood replacement. 85gms is a nice tweener shaft that is heavy for a wood and lighter for an iron giving me the best of both worlds. I never considered matching my driver shaft as these are really 2 completely different clubs. 

... Many OEMs also make 2 different heads or one head that is designed to be hit down and thru like an iron or swept like a wood. So figuring out how you hit a hybrid is the first step to finding out what kind of shaft would work best for your swing. 

Edited by chisag

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

... Hybrids are one of the truly remarkable clubs because they can be assembled to play any way you want or need. Although I have the same shaft in both my hybrids, the Matrix Altus 85, I shortened my 21.5* Tour 4 Hy 1/2" to play more like a 4 iron replacement and lengthened my 18.5* 3 Hy to play more like a 5 wood replacement. 85gms is a nice tweener shaft that is heavy for a wood and lighter fr an iron giving me the best if both worlds. I never considered matching my driver shaft as these are really 2 completely different clubs. 

... Many OEMs also make 2 different heads or one head that is designed to be hit down and thru like an iron or swept like a wood. So figuring out how you hit a hybrid is the first step to finding out what kind of shaft would work best for your swing. 

Fully agree which is no surprise because it’s factual and this guy knows his facts.

The rule used to be to hit a hybrid like an iron but as they’ve evolved they have morphed into two types. The hybrids that I currently game are more “fairway metal” like - once I realized that I started to hit them much better. My last hybrids were far more iron like.

All of that stuff is about to change for me when I get my Ping gear for the long game fitting test.

Be sure to check that thread out once we get going because it speaks to this topic in a big way.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

1 hour ago, PSULions11 said:

I recently got fitted at a demo day for new irons and driver, but due to time restrictions, wasn't able to hit any hybrids. I'm wondering, do most people play hybrids with a shaft that is the hybrid/wood model of their driver or do you all play a differing version of your irons? For reference, my driver has a project x even flow black 6.5 75g shaft (114-116 CHS), and my irons have a C-taper X stiff (92-94 CHS). Looking for what others have had the most success with or thoughts.

Hybrids were previously known by many as utility or rescue clubs. They were specialty clubs meant to help golfers escape from trouble where the head of a fairway wood would struggle to slice through thick rough and irons (at the time) weren't providing enough ball speed to advance the ball a safe distance. 

Since then hybrids have evolved into long-iron replacement clubs. Designs vary, but that is the general consensus among the industry as to how hybrids should be utilized. As to whether or not you should match the shaft of your driver and fairway wood(s) or that of your irons, it really just comes down to what works best - and it could be a different shaft altogether.. Most players are likely playing 80g or lighter graphite shaft in their hybrids, but there are always exceptions and a good fitting will be beneficial in helping you make this decision.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

Like woods and irons the shaft should be what works best for the individual in the club. Many times the shaft in the driver is different from the shaft in the wood and the hybrid. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

11 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Like woods and irons the shaft should be what works best for the individual in the club. Many times the shaft in the driver is different from the shaft in the wood and the hybrid. 

+1 My Hybrid shafts are what was fit for those clubs.

Woods:  :callaway-small:  Rogue ST Max LS 9*,  Ventus Blue 6S / :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+, 15*, MCA Diamana Thump 75S
Hybrid: :PXG: 0317 X Proto 3H & 4H, Ventus Blue 7S  

Irons: :Takomo: Takomo IRON 101 5-PW, Accra T90i S
Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX ZipCore 48*, Accra T90i, 53* & 58*, Accra T100i S
Putter: :EVNROLL: ER1.2, 355g, :kbs: Tour GPS, 33" w/
image.png.709cedef1b6b981263b7fb0d3abefd71.png Mid Slim 2.0
Ball: Maxfli Tour
Bag/Cart: :nike-small: '20 Air Hybrid / :Clicgear: 4.0 / Alphard Club Booster V2, Swivel kit
Accessories: :Arccos: 360 /  Garmin G80 / Nikon Coolshot Pro Stabilized 

11 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I'm going to +1 this one as well. Go with the shaft that works best for that particular head. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game