Tolmij

Golf is great but so is art

Anyone out there that likes art, I know this is a golf site but as I am in everything else I am talking about my other passion. As an introduction here is my latest painting

IMG_2792.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 5

I love art and music - I have absolutely no talent for art but that doesn’t stop me from enjoying it - we are members at the Dali museum in St Pete and go there frequently.

I was a music major as an undergrad

Very cool and interesting piece!!! Thanks for sharing it.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

My daughter did art through high school. Not sure what her plans are for college, I hope they include some type of art or design. It’s a gift she has. She won 2nd place for this one at the art show. I forget what the process is called for this. Basically you take a thick rubber pc and cut out the shapes that you want, then roll the paint out on it and place that on the paper. It is very difficult from what I understand. Especially the curvy lines and loops that she did. The judges were really impressed that she did this since it is so difficult to get it correct. 

Edit: I looked it up and I think it’s called relief. 

04E7B010-3065-4782-A8B2-EC8180F0EF75.jpeg

Edited by Kor.A.Door
  • Like 3

I am always envious of people with artistic talents like drawing/painting and music.

• Like 2

My daughter did art through high school. Not sure what her plans are for college, I hope they include some type of art or design. It’s a gift she has. She won 2nd place for this one at the art show. I forget what the process is called for this. Basically you take a thick rubber pc and cut out the shapes that you want, then roll the paint out on it and place that on the paper. It is very difficult from what I understand. Especially the curvy lines and loops that she did. The judges were really impressed that she did this since it is so difficult to get it correct. 
Edit: I looked it up and I think it’s called relief. 
04E7B010-3065-4782-A8B2-EC8180F0EF75.thumb.jpeg.51028c8f294b269d3fe1e93108a528dc.jpeg

Nothing like starting with the difficult stuff lol. If she is interested in it give her every opportunity to realise that dream, I always knew I could paint but there was never any encouragement from my parents, it is only five years ago I started to take it up seriously at the age of 72, never had lessons work only on instinct.

Most important is selection of the art type you want to follow and this will not be obvious until it has been tried so always encourage experimentation. Give her my best wishes and tell her she has a good start with that standard of work, seen many so called artists that could not do that standard.
  • Like 3

I like to paint things with some sort of message, to me that is, I like to feel something in the picture. This one was from some time back and it reminded me of our inhumanity to animals. It’s IMG_1572.jpga Tiger cub in a cage, it looks sad it’s body language says I do not want to be here. When I posted this with a similar message on another site, I was vilified because the animal was born in captivity so knows no difference, it has been proven time and time again they do know something is wrong. Make up your own minds.

• Like 2

IMG_0928.JPG

I’ve talked a lot about the lovely Laura here. She designed and made all of these costumes. Art is a big deal.

Big!

• Like 2

IMG_0928.thumb.JPG.9a20b9553ba194e95f0c0f985cea21af.JPG

I’ve talked a lot about the lovely Laura here. She designed and made all of these costumes. Art is a big deal.

Big!

Absolutely art is a big deal, me as a person getting on in age find it soothing. My wife and I must spend about 3 days a week painting, the challenge keeps the brain active. Unfortunately we do not like to sell our work as it is personal, we do it as a hobby but we should sell some as we use oil paints and they are expensive, between us we have in excess of $4,000 worth of paint plus around 80 brushes. Started three more today and have another two on the go. I will post more of my work soon but I would also like to see other people’s work.

• Like 3

IMG_1030.JPG

Here’s one by my daughter in law.

• Like 2

I'm not that much of an art fan per se'. I certainly have zero artistic ability and can barely draw a stick figure. Of course I've seen many different types of art work in my lifetime. Some of it was amazing quite frankly - wondering how can someone actually make a painting that looks so real. Others times I see what I'd call pure crap. None the less I appreciate some art or "art forms" if for no other reason than appreciating someones talent. Walking around in a museum looking at paintings on a wall isn't my thing really. However, if you are one who can paint-draw or create beautiful things I say more power to ya. Beauty really is in the eye of the beholder.

• Like 3

I'm not that much of an art fan per se'. I certainly have zero artistic ability and can barely draw a stick figure. Of course I've seen many different types of art work in my lifetime. Some of it was amazing quite frankly - wondering how can someone actually make a painting that looks so real. Others times I see what I'd call pure crap. None the less I appreciate some art or "art forms" if for no other reason than appreciating someones talent. Walking around in a museum looking at paintings on a wall isn't my thing really. However, if you are one who can paint-draw or create beautiful things I say more power to ya. Beauty really is in the eye of the beholder.

Beauty really is in the eye of the beholder, unfortunately when you look at some so called art work the eyes are not seeming to work very well. Having said that every one does their best it’s only that some have more natural talent. One thing I notice is that not many that practice art will accept their work is not good. I think my work is acceptable, I have never taken art classes so what I do is what I think is correct, we have a friend who does not like it, but I am also no fan of her work. This is one of my recent paintings it is an Inca trail from way back that is now a tourist spot.

IMG_2381.thumb.jpg.dfff2b997f88a0b2b8df6947fe979131.jpg

We have chickens in our back garden so this picture was fun to paint. Even the animals can photo bomb.

IMG_2495.jpg

• Like 2

I have always been attracted to the things I am not good at.  I love to read, listen to music and look at paintings and sculpture.  My writing style is like a textbook.  I have a good ear and can tell whenever something is off key, I always am.  A picture in my head can not be translated to any type of medium.

When my kids were young I used music lessons as an excuse to buy a grand piano.  They no longer take lessons but the piano is still there.  When I can start working less I will learn how to play.  A bit like golf, you don’t have to be very good to still enjoy it.

Congratulations to all those with talent.  It makes the world a better place.

• Like 2

We all have different talents and sometimes we have unfound talents, me it was art 77 now and have only been oil painting for 5 years, tried other mediums but could not make them work. Now .i paint as often as possible,making up for lost time.

This is a painting I did late last year, one of my favourites

20180531_132505.jpg

• Like 2

Talking about my favourite paintings. We, that is my wife, son and myself each did a painting which is hung up only at Christmas. This is mine and it has a story.

The bear is an actual toyIMG_0420.jpg bear that was purchased for my wife aged three when she was in hospital as a child, she has looked after it since then and it still has a place in our home, so the bear is 71 years old.

• Like 2

I'm envious of all of you with artistic skills. After 70 years I still haven't graduated beyond stick figures - guess I'm not patient enough. 

I'm envious of all of you with artistic skills. After 70 years I still haven't graduated beyond stick figures - guess I'm not patient enough. 

Give it another try, I was 70+ when I found oil paints. As they say, you are never to old to fall in love ( or to learn how to paint)

96D24A6D-5752-4ECD-8F9B-E53EB5D0F485.jpg

This is a cute painting, the dog waiting for his master to arrive home from work. When I paint a picture I like to see the mood of the subject and try to give it that feel, I don’t always succeed but in this instance I think I have. I like subjects that have some complexity as I enjoy messing about with detail, in this one the door, dog wall and path all have a fair amount. Please any other person with art work, let’s see what you have done.