Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

Can i use a driver with a crack on the head or it's risky?

Hi all,

i've an old Callaway X-Hot Driver with a small crack on the head; i wasn't hitting it very well so i simply put it away and used a mini driver or 5 wood since; now my swing is a bit improving and i wanted to try to use the driver again, but before buying a new one i wanted to practice a little. Can i use this driver with that crack, or there is the risk that the head will break into a million pieces and hurt someone nearby? I know i'd be losing performance, but i want to use it just to test my swing with a driver i used to hit very well when i first bought it. Putting some tape on the crack could help or makes no sense?
Thanks 

Dani

XHotHeadCrack1.jpg

XHotHeadCrackCloseUp.jpg

That's a pretty good sized crack, I wouldn't be using that at all to be honest. You may be able to find that head very inexpensively online if you liked it and want to re-use the shaft. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

It’s junk. The club won’t explode as you suggest; it just won’t work. It relies on the integrity of the whole and if one portion is compromised it’s useless.

Toss it in the bin, it’s rubbish.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, Swing_Thoughts said:

Hey I just got a used SLDR white driver that has a small crack in the back of the driver... will this affect performance? 

more than likely it will impact performance.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/4/2019 at 3:32 AM, Daniunchained said:

Hi all,

i've an old Callaway X-Hot Driver with a small crack on the head; i wasn't hitting it very well so i simply put it away and used a mini driver or 5 wood since; now my swing is a bit improving and i wanted to try to use the driver again, but before buying a new one i wanted to practice a little. Can i use this driver with that crack, or there is the risk that the head will break into a million pieces and hurt someone nearby? I know i'd be losing performance, but i want to use it just to test my swing with a driver i used to hit very well when i first bought it. Putting some tape on the crack could help or makes no sense?
Thanks 

Dani

XHotHeadCrack1.jpg

Looks that club has a hosel adapter, you could go to ebay or the like and get the same model, or maybe go with another Callaway model but confirm that your old model and new model fit with the same adapter.

Usually I like to have a beer or two before I go "shopping".