TESTERS WANTED! ×

Review Wanted: Titleist 910D3 vs. Taylormade R11

hckymeyer

I'm in the market for a new driver this year and these are two clubs that I'm very interested in. Obviously I plan on going to a local fitter and testing out both clubs to see which fits me best.

I'm just curious what the hold up is on the review process? MGS has had the 910D2 for quite a while and no review has been posted. The R11 has been out for a couple weeks now and no word on performance on this site. I'd really love a side by side comparison. I'm really looking to MGS for an unbiased review of these new clubs. It seems that every site I go to is biased or just a Titleist/Taylormade fanboy site.

I know MGS likes to focus on the little guys, but with all the hype surrounding these two drivers I think the people would love to see a side by side in depth comparison from someone we trust.

Keep up the good work!

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I can give you a little info based on my fittings with either club. The R11 doesn't spin nearly as much as the SuperTri did, which is good for lots of (some?) people. I do have a fitting bias towards the Titleist because I have access to more shafts, and I have yet to find a person who couldn't get really good numbers out of the "stock" options. I have not put them head to head for ball speed, etc, but if/when I do I will report back.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

I can give you a little info based on my fittings with either club. The R11 doesn't spin nearly as much as the SuperTri did, which is good for lots of (some?) people. I do have a fitting bias towards the Titleist because I have access to more shafts, and I have yet to find a person who couldn't get really good numbers out of the "stock" options. I have not put them head to head for ball speed, etc, but if/when I do I will report back.

Have you found the Titleist to be a little lacking in ballspeed?? The jury is still out for me, but EVERY PLAYER has seen lower ball speed #'s with the Titleist v other current drivers. Now, there are trade-offs. For some fellas, the Titleist is WAY straighter..... WAY STRAIGHTER!!!! Just a bit shorter, and that is not a big deal to them. One of the good players I work with (2.2 index) swears by this club. Accuracy is his big issue. I'm still waiting for the holy grail of distance and accuracy.....

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

Put me in the camp that wants to hear more on the Titleist.

I had some credit I had to use from last season, and got both a 910D2, or D3 (the smaller one)...and also an Adam's 9064LS. I'd love to hear more, or see a review of either. With all the snow around here, I haven't had a chance to hit either one of them.....they're just sitting there, all shiny and new....teasing me.

Have you found the Titleist to be a little lacking in ballspeed?? The jury is still out for me, but EVERY PLAYER has seen lower ball speed #'s with the Titleist v other current drivers. Now, there are trade-offs. For some fellas, the Titleist is WAY straighter..... WAY STRAIGHTER!!!! Just a bit shorter, and that is not a big deal to them. One of the good players I work with (2.2 index) swears by this club. Accuracy is his big issue. I'm still waiting for the holy grail of distance and accuracy.....

To be totally honest, I don't pay a ton of attention to ballspeed because most people that I fit have their mind made up as to what model they want before they see me. I will try to get somebody to compare the 910 to something else tomorrow...or I'll just have to do it myself.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• 2 weeks later...

I have not hit any of the 910`s yet but from my experience with 909`s I love titleist`s. As said above titleist you`re going to lose a bit of distance but the accuracy is great so it really comes down to what you want in a driver.

P.S. I`ve heard that the R9`s are longer then the R11`s so really just try both drivers and pick which you like best

Interesting takes on both clubs...Have yet to hit the Titleist 910 and am usually not a big fan of TM but I loved the way the R11 set up and found the white satin finished crown to be very attractive along with the black face.

It felt great in my hands, also..I will get a proper fitting for driver/ball combo soon and will use both of those...but would like to see everyone who has hit either share their impressions.

I can offer personal input because I hit both drivers and I purchased the 910d2. For me, the r11 just didnt feel comofortable in my hands and it didn't instill confidence. My ball flight is a slight draw and I could only hit high fades with the r11. I got the 910d2 to replace my r9 and it is at least 15 yards longer (not even including the adjustible factors) and WAY straighter. I think the 910d2 is the best driver thats out there right now.

Holy crap I thought I was the only one! My natural shot is a draw. With the ASP set on closed, shaft at L position, and 10g weight in the heel, I lost MANY a shot to the right. If there is one thing I hate, it is losing a ball right. I have tried 3 yes 3 R11's, hoping 1 would work for me. I REALLY wanted to like this club. Not only that, but for me I found it lacking in distance. My current driver is a tour issue SuperDeep.

I trade in the R11 for a 910 D3. It is being drop-shipped from Titleist. I went for the D3 because in the launch monitor, my spin rate with the R11 was about 3800 rpm. With the Titleist it was 2800. I will let you know how it works out.

BTW, they had a 10.5 Adams 9015d there that I also hit in the LM. Spin on that with the stock shaft was under 2000 consistently. My LA with that club was like 6*, so too low obviously. I tried it because I have a buddy that games one. He is the longest player I know. We hit our irons the same distance, but he is 30-50 yards longer than me with his 9015. That club is ridiculous....... If you can hit it.

• 4 weeks later...

Just got back from a fitting at Totally Driven in MN. After about an hour I came up with the R11 as the best fit for me. Ball speed was about the same between both drivers, but I was getting much lower backspin and side spin numbers with the R11. Also better distance with the R11 by about 15-20yds.

My new setup will be the R11 TP with an Oban Kiyoshi 65 S shaft. I can't wait to get on the course now! Although we are having a blizzard today so it might be a few weeks before that happens.

I tried the R11 with the Blur next to the R9 Supertri with the VooDoo in a fitting the other day.

I wouldn't trade the Supertri for the R11 in a million years. Maybe it was the BLUR which I think sucks big time, but I didn't have ONE hit measured longer in the R11 than in the R9 (50 balls with the R9, 40 with the R11). I don't know if a better shaft would do the trick, but personally, the buzz around the R11 is no where but in the color.

I tried the R11 with the Blur next to the R9 Supertri with the VooDoo in a fitting the other day.

I wouldn't trade the Supertri for the R11 in a million years. Maybe it was the BLUR which I think sucks big time, but I didn't have ONE hit measured longer in the R11 than in the R9 (50 balls with the R9, 40 with the R11). I don't know if a better shaft would do the trick, but personally, the buzz around the R11 is no where but in the color.

It's all in the shaft!! Makes all the difference in the world. I agree there aren't too many differences from one head to another, but I picked the R11 because it's adjustable components fit my swing better than the adjustments available on the 910. The stock shaft was terrible for me as well, but don't discount a driver just because you hit it with the stock shaft and didn't like it.

This fitting was extremely eye opening for me. Finding the right driver is 85% shaft, 10% head and 5% grip.

Archived