TESTERS WANTED! ×

Mid- to High- Handicapper Challenge

Are you a mid- to high-handicapper?

If you are, do you have those rounds where you can’t get a decent score even on one hole?  Yeah, I know… low handicappers have days like that too, but low handicappers need not continue reading.  This is not for you.

Now, have you gone to the course to play a casual round, maybe with some friends, and didn’t think about the score?  Did you play better than usual?  What were you doing differently?  I bet you were more relaxed; tension in your grip and swing is probably less, and you were considering each shot opportunity relative to a target; the fairway… the green… the hole, and NOT what par is for the hole.

However, we all want to get better at this game and keeping score is a measure of how well we are doing to reach whatever goal we have; breaking 100, 90, or 80.  Golfers have varying degrees of skill level and for many, making a par on a hole is a significant but maybe infrequent achievement.  For others, pars are a little easier, but then there are those dreaded blowup holes!  So, how can we achieve that relaxed feeling while keeping score?

The Challenge

Disclaimer:  I have absolutely no idea if this will improve your game.  There is no guarantee.

I am proposing a challenge to mid- to high-handicappers to change your mindset so that you play holes with an entirely different perspective.  Change what PAR is for each hole.

1. Get a scorecard from a golf course you play all the time.
  2. On one of the spaces where you would put your name, write “New Par”
  3. Change the par for each hole to a Triple Bogey; i.e., a Par 3 is now a Par 6, a Par 4 is now a Par 7, and a Par 5 is now a Par 8
  4. Go play

On the first hole the real Par is 4, but the New Par is 7.  If you score a 6, you are now 1 under par.

Play at least 3 rounds this way.

Now, change the “New Par” for each hole to Double Bogey (mid-handicap players may want to start here)

Now, change the “New Par” for each hole to Bogey.

Play at least 3 rounds this way

Compare all of your New Par scorecards.  How did you do??

Playing to a different Par gives your mind a different perspective on how a hole can be played.  Finally, go play using the real Par for each hole.  Does that round feel different than previous rounds before this exercise?  What are the results?

If anyone takes up this challenge, I would be curious to hear what your thoughts are about how your mind worked during the rounds and if your play was significantly altered.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Interesting. I like the premise behind it, anytime you can take the mind out of golf it usually equals good results. Will be curious to hear results. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

Been doing this with a student of mine to make the goal more literal and more enjoyable. I based each hole off their driving distance and the length of the hole, how many strokes it should take to get to the green and 2 putt.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

1 hour ago, Kenny B said:

If you are, do you have those rounds where you can’t get a decent score even on one hole?  Yeah, I know… low handicappers have days like that too, but low handicappers need not continue reading.  This is not for you.

Now, have you gone to the course to play a casual round, maybe with some friends, and didn’t think about the score?  Did you play better than usual?  What were you doing differently?  I bet you were more relaxed; tension in your grip and swing is probably less, and you were considering each shot opportunity relative to a target; the fairway… the green… the hole, and NOT what par is for the hole.

However, we all want to get better at this game and keeping score is a measure of how well we are doing to reach whatever goal we have; breaking 100, 90, or 80.  Golfers have varying degrees of skill level and for many, making a par on a hole is a significant but maybe infrequent achievement.  For others, pars are a little easier, but then there are those dreaded blowup holes!  So, how can we achieve that relaxed feeling while keeping score?

The Challenge

Disclaimer:  I have absolutely no idea if this will improve your game.  There is no guarantee.

I am proposing a challenge to mid- to high-handicappers to change your mindset so that you play holes with an entirely different perspective.  Change what PAR is for each hole.

3. Change the par for each hole to a Triple Bogey; i.e., a Par 3 is now a Par 6, a Par 4 is now a Par 7, and a Par 5 is now a Par 8
  4. Go play

On the first hole the real Par is 4, but the New Par is 7.  If you score a 6, you are now 1 under par.

Now, change the “New Par” for each hole to Double Bogey (mid-handicap players may want to start here)

Playing to a different Par gives your mind a different perspective on how a hole can be played.  Finally, go play using the real Par for each hole.  Does that round feel different than previous rounds before this exercise?  What are the results?

If anyone takes up this challenge, I would be curious to hear what your thoughts are about how your mind worked during the rounds and if your play was significantly altered.

I think this is an excellent idea, but I am curious as to how our brains would react knowing that we have altered the par. 

After the Cobra Connect Challenge, I'd be willing to give this a try and report back how it worked for me.

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

The Challenge
  4. Go play

Kenny, interesting concept. The problem I have is 3 or 4 blowout holes that keep me from breaking 90. Those 3 or 4 holes are not the same every time. They could be on the front or the back. Any thoughts on that?

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

40 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

Kenny, interesting concept. The problem I have is 3 or 4 blowout holes that keep me from breaking 90. Those 3 or 4 holes are not the same every time. They could be on the front or the back. Any thoughts on that?

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

I think everyone has different reasons for that.  Most everyone has a blowup hole every now and then; more blowups the higher the handicap.  If I have one or two a round, I pretty much know what holes they will be, but that is because there's something about those holes that doesn't suit my game very well.  One hole, I have tried several different types of shots trying to find the best way to tackle Par.  Sometimes it works; sometimes it doesn't.

The purpose of this challenge is to change how your mind thinks about what the standard is for each hole.  If you think differently when playing a hole, you might create a reality that affects those shots that cause you problems.  I'm curious if this works.  

I'm not a candidate for this challenge because most times, I'm close to par on most holes anyway.  However, I'm going to approach my wife to participate in this challenge.  She's been struggling this year since the snow melted.  Last year, she was breaking 90 regularly and sometimes 85.  This spring, it's been difficult for her to break 100.  Her swing has been mostly the same, but she struggles putting good shots together to reach Par.  I think she's mental about Par.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

One of the games that I'll play in my head is what I call 13.  Divide the round into groups of 3 holes.  The goal is to shoot 13 or better on 3 holes.  Do it fine, don't then move on to the next 3 and start over.  If you can shoot 13 on each group of 3 holes, you'll break 80 with a 79.  IF, and that's a big if, you can keep your mind off the total score and focus on just 3 holes at a time, it just mind allow you to focus differently.

I do a similar bet with a golfing buddy where we play medal play for 3 holes for a buck, then the next 3 holes for another buck, and so on until all 18 holes completed.  It is much less stressful than focusing on how far down you are on an 18 hole game, match or medal.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

I do a version of this where I add 1 to every hole. 

Doesn't stop me from having a double cross off the tee or help me read greens better LOL!!

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

I think a lot of what Kenny is getting at is expectations. If you can adjust your expectations you may find the round more enjoyable. A good friend and I are both about the same level - bogey golfers, so we try to adjust our expectations to +1 on every hole so a bogey or better is a good thing. He is better at it than I am, though, and he frequently reminds me bogey is a good score for us. That doesn't stop a 3-putt bogey from chapping my hide, though.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

That's called Doug Par.  And I play for Bogey from the Senior Tee.  

When Bogey is the goal, I get lucky with a few pars, so Doubles don't hurt.  Basically put 5's across the scorecard, and your actual score (6, 4) determines how far over or under you are.

Shoot under and you're breaking 90 🙂

When bogey is the goal, I shoot for bailout zones, middle of greens instead of pins, or split long iron approaches into a 9i and wedge.  

i still have blowout holes.  😉

:cobra-small:   RADspeed 10.5, :projectx: Evenflow Riptide CB 6.0s

:cobra-small:  Bio Cell 3/4w, :projectx: PXV 6.0s; AMP 3h 19deg Aldila RIP R.  Bio Cell 4h 22.5deg :projectx: PXV R. 

:titleist-small:          2021/22 T200 5-7, T100 8-P (bent 1deg strong), :projectx: LZ 5.5 

:cleveland-small:      CBX-2 50/11 

:taylormade-small:   ATV 56/16deg 

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Impact No.3 Align putter

:Arccos:     Caddie for tracking.     

:titelist-small:            Pro V1X balls

Previous forum tests:

2019: Golf Pride Tour Velvet Plus 4 grips, Lynx Black Cat 5-PW.    2020:  :skycaddie: LX5 Watch.    2021:  :1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact #3 Align putter

I'm in! Er...I reckon I qualify as a "High" handicapper, yes? Where is the mid-cap line generally?

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

45 minutes ago, PING Apologist #9 said:

I'm in! Er...I reckon I qualify as a "High" handicapper, yes? Where is the mid-cap line generally?

I'd call it 10-18

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

2 minutes ago, CarlH said:

I'd call it 10-18

Makes sense, thanks! I was a 19 briefly last season...for about 2-weeks!😫

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

I was a 19 end of last yr but probably mpre like 22-23 currently

:cobra-small:   RADspeed 10.5, :projectx: Evenflow Riptide CB 6.0s

:cobra-small:  Bio Cell 3/4w, :projectx: PXV 6.0s; AMP 3h 19deg Aldila RIP R.  Bio Cell 4h 22.5deg :projectx: PXV R. 

:titleist-small:          2021/22 T200 5-7, T100 8-P (bent 1deg strong), :projectx: LZ 5.5 

:cleveland-small:      CBX-2 50/11 

:taylormade-small:   ATV 56/16deg 

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Impact No.3 Align putter

:Arccos:     Caddie for tracking.     

:titelist-small:            Pro V1X balls

Previous forum tests:

2019: Golf Pride Tour Velvet Plus 4 grips, Lynx Black Cat 5-PW.    2020:  :skycaddie: LX5 Watch.    2021:  :1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact #3 Align putter

Some good ideas here.  I have also been using bogey golf as my "New Par" for some time.  Right now my (unofficial) handicap is 20 so it's a good yardstick.  I also like the game of 13 that CarlH mentioned and may try a version of that.  There's lots of variations on the theme you could do. 

2 hours ago, TwoCoatsOfWax said:

I also like the game of 13 that CarlH mentioned and may try a version of that.  There's lots of variations on the theme you could do. 

Sure.  Pick a goal that's reachable and make it fun.   You'll be surprised at what you can do when the goal is attainable.  And, once you achieve that goal, set a new one.  Let's face it, many of us are not scratch golfers.  Holding ourselves to scratch golf puts undue stress on us.  

4 hours ago, CarlH said:

Sure.  Pick a goal that's reachable and make it fun.   You'll be surprised at what you can do when the goal is attainable.  And, once you achieve that goal, set a new one.  Let's face it, many of us are not scratch golfers.  Holding ourselves to scratch golf puts undue stress on us.  

Exactly!!  The idea is to play with a New Par that is achievable.  It helps put your mind in a different place so you can focus on golf shots and targets, not the hole score.  The brain reacts positively when you achieve a par or birdie, even if it is the New Par.  

The challenge is to compare your playing experiences as you progress from the New Par being par+3, par+2, and par+1.  Does your outlook on a round change?  Does it make a difference when you finally go back to Normal Par?  I'm curious.

I do a version of this where I add 1 to every hole. 
Doesn't stop me from having a double cross off the tee or help me read greens better LOL!!
I've done this in the past and have played a little better rounds when I do. Doesn't solve all my problems and it doesn't always work for me, but I would say the experience is largely a positive one.

Sent from my XT1585 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I always try to remember that I'm not good enough to get mad!

My Bag:

:ping-small:  G400 Max

:ping-small:  G30 3W

:cobra-small: King S9-1 5W

:taylormade-small: Aeroburner 3 Rescue/Hybrid

:ping-small: G400  5-UW

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52* and 56*

:rife-putters-1: 2Bar Mallet

:ping-small: Traverse II Cart Bag

Challenge Accepted!

Might take me some time to accumulate 9 rounds with a newborn and busy schedule. But I promise I will keep the next 9 score cards and post pictures once I hit that point. Hopefully by round 10, the theory will have payed off. With only a handful of rounds under my belt for the season. I feel like my golf game is stronger than ever, yet my scores at the end do not reflect as so. This could just be me setting unrealistic expectations of shooting 40 or better every round. But there’s one thing I’ve noticed in each round. There is a “tipping point” where I realize shooting anything close to Par is a pipe dream and say “screw it.... can’t get much worse than this. What’s the worst that could happen, you can’t “hurt” a round that I’ve already “murdered” and a majority of the time I start hitting my best shots on the back stretch of holes. Obviously warming up, learning from earlier mistakes, and recognizing how your swinging the club that day play a roll in this. But if I can’t count how many times I think in my head “well damn... here’s my 100 yard chip-in for par that isn’t going to happen.”

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Papa-Bear was Here. 

One of the games that I'll play in my head is what I call 13.  Divide the round into groups of 3 holes.  The goal is to shoot 13 or better on 3 holes.  Do it fine, don't then move on to the next 3 and start over.  If you can shoot 13 on each group of 3 holes, you'll break 80 with a 79.  IF, and that's a big if, you can keep your mind off the total score and focus on just 3 holes at a time, it just mind allow you to focus differently.
I do a similar bet with a golfing buddy where we play medal play for 3 holes for a buck, then the next 3 holes for another buck, and so on until all 18 holes completed.  It is much less stressful than focusing on how far down you are on an 18 hole game, match or medal.

Love that idea. I've tried adding one to par on each hole but it doesn't trick my brain enough. I think I'll start using your way, but play "14" instead.

I've also found that repeating "Never mad with a bogey" helps me too. Even if I three (or four) putt, I'll never be mad at myself for a bogey.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver -  :callaway-small: Big Bertha Alpha

3W -  :callaway-small: XHot Pro

3 Hybrid - :taylormade-small: Rescue 11

4-PW - Maltby DBM Forged

52 -  :vokey-small: SM4

56 -  :cleveland-small: RTX-3

60 - Scratch SS

Putter -  :seemore-small: FGP

4 hours ago, BenjaminButtonz said:

Challenge Accepted!

Might take me some time to accumulate 9 rounds with a newborn and busy schedule. But I promise I will keep the next 9 score cards and post pictures once I hit that point. Hopefully by round 10, the theory will have payed off. With only a handful of rounds under my belt for the season. I feel like my golf game is stronger than ever, yet my scores at the end do not reflect as so. This could just be me setting unrealistic expectations of shooting 40 or better every round. But there’s one thing I’ve noticed in each round. There is a “tipping point” where I realize shooting anything close to Par is a pipe dream and say “screw it.... can’t get much worse than this. What’s the worst that could happen, you can’t “hurt” a round that I’ve already “murdered” and a majority of the time I start hitting my best shots on the back stretch of holes. Obviously warming up, learning from earlier mistakes, and recognizing how your swinging the club that day play a roll in this. But if I can’t count how many times I think in my head “well damn... here’s my 100 yard chip-in for par that isn’t going to happen.”

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Good luck with it.  Always be positive with your thoughts... and being positive that you can't get much worse doesn't count!!