Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

RBC Canadian Open

newballcoach

RBC Canadian Open

THE CANADIAN OPEN, ORGANIZED BY GOLF CANADA, WAS FIRST CONTESTED IN 1904.

Played annually continuously since then, except during World War I and World War II, the Canadian Open is the third oldest continuously running tournament on the PGA TOUR, after The Open Championship and the U.S. Open.

Only two players have been able to capture golf’s Triple Crown (consisting of winning all three National Open titles in the same season); they are Lee Trevino (1971) and Tiger Woods (2000).

As a national open, the event had a special status in the era before the professional tour system became dominant in golf.

The top three golfers on the Mackenzie Tour – PGA Tour Canada Order of Merit prior to the tournament are given entry into the Canadian Open.

Celebrated winners include Leo Diegel, Walter Hagen, Tommy Armour, Harry Cooper, Lawson Little, Sam Snead, Craig Wood, Byron Nelson, Doug Ford, Bobby Locke, Bob Charles, Arnold Palmer, Kel Nagle, Billy Casper, Gene Littler, Lee Trevino, Curtis Strange, Greg Norman, Nick Price, Vijay Singh, Mark O’Meara, Jim Furyk, Tiger Woods and Jason Day, just to name a few. The Canadian Open is regarded as the most prestigious tournament never won by Jack Nicklaus, a seven-time runner-up.

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

This is taken right from the tournament website, and I have to say I am very excited about this years event.

The last half decade the Canadian Open has been in real shambles due to being scheduled right after the British Open. Very few big name players would enter and as such it lost a lot of its luster. 

They have also started to rotate the venue to different places outside of Glen Abbey Golf Club (which I love but most pro golfers do not) which is going to help the tournament and has caused some increases in excitement this year. It's being held less than an hour away from where I live (although unfortunately I will not be attending this year).

It's great to see the field as crowded as it is with some of the best in the game as they prepare for the US Open next weekend. I hope everyone enjoys watching!

There's also a concert series attached this year to help draw more fans, including Florida Georgia Line and the Glorious Sons. There's tons of local Canadians in the field (Mackenzie Hughes' home course is less than 20 minutes away) which adds to the local excitement. It has been decades since a Canadian won this (Mike Wier came the closest since then) so hopefully we get a local victory. 

WITB

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

Just now, Shankster said:

Thanks for getting this started.

I’m taking Sneds for the W.

I was waiting for you to do it! You do all the other ones, but I wanted to get talking because obviously this tournament being so close to me is super exciting. 

Sneds has been in contention but with the venue change I'm not sure he is someone who I'd be looking at. Hamilton GCC should provide higher scores than the typical -20 that has been in play at the last few opens. Glen Abbey was just not challenging enough for the modern game. DJ always plays well up here (his famous father in-law grew up 45 minutes away from the course). It's hard to put any thought against Brooks right now. That being said, it is very wet in southern Ontario right now, we have had a ton of rain this spring/summer and that will make it harder to get huge rollouts on drives. I would imagine accuracy and ball striking are going to be extremely important this week. I could see Henrik Stensen competing this year. 

The real question is who will win the Rivermead Challenge Cup (presented to the low Canadian). My pick is Corey Connors. 

WITB

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

Nope, that was the St Jude. Canadian Open got moved with the schedule change. Used to be the week after The Open.

Is this the one DJ holed out on 18 last year? For the win?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER PXG 0811XF GEN4 (10.5°)

FAIRWAY WOODS PXG 0341XF GEN4 (16°)

HYBRIDS PXG 0317XF GEN4 (19°), PXG 0317X GEN4 (22°)

IRONS PXG 0311T GEN3 (5 - 9)

WEDGES TAYLORMADE MG3 (45°, 50°, 55° TW Grind, 60° TW Grind)

PUTTER PXG BATTLE READY ONE & DONE

7 hours ago, FrogginBullfish said:

Nope, that was the St Jude. Canadian Open got moved with the schedule change. Used to be the week after The Open.

This years tournament will barely resemble the Canadian Open of the last decade. Better players, better venue, more coverage. It'll be nice to see our Open get back to the level it should be on the PGA tour.

WITB

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

12 hours ago, Shankster said:

I was going to pick Sneds, but since you did...  I have to go with G-Mac for the win to qualify for The Open at home.

Low Canadian...  I'm going with UW Nick Taylor.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

It's been crappy as a Canadian to see our flagship tour event placed in such a crummy spot on the schedule for so many years. Glad to see it's in a slightly better spot now though. The week before the US Open should definitely bring in more top guys to use it as a major tune up.

This years tournament will barely resemble the Canadian Open of the last decade. Better players, better venue, more coverage. It'll be nice to see our Open get back to the level it should be on the PGA tour.

9 hours ago, FrogginBullfish said:

It's been crappy as a Canadian to see our flagship tour event placed in such a crummy spot on the schedule for so many years. Glad to see it's in a slightly better spot now though. The week before the US Open should definitely bring in more top guys to use it as a major tune up.

With the US Open being at Pebble it's probably not AS helpful this year due to the massive time change. However, pros know Pebble well so they won't have to spend extra time scoping it out. Next year when it's at Winged Foot the venues will be much closer together. 

They just need to figure out either a) a permanent host for the event or b) an awesome rotation of the best courses in the GTA. I see b being more likely as a permanent host would likely need to be built and designed first. 

WITB

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

Hadwin is tied for the lead as of right now, and I thought this might be an event Shane Lowry would show well in and he's only one back. It's a shorter course than usual on tour (a problem with lots of potential Canadian Open hosts) so it may level the playing field. 

Guys should be able to make lots of birdies though with the greens as soft as they are. 

WITB

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

2 hours ago, Shankster said:

When are they going to put the Canadian Open our at Cabot?

I’d buy tickets for that show.

I would imagine never. RBC wants to keep it close to Toronto because that's where their head office is. Cabot is like Bandon Dunes. Remote, no good places for spectators and no infrastructure to support a major tournament being there. 

WITB

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

I would imagine never. RBC wants to keep it close to Toronto because that's where their head office is. Cabot is like Bandon Dunes. Remote, no good places for spectators and no infrastructure to support a major tournament being there. 

That’s a bummer. It looks amazing.

G-Mac is now tied for the lead, but my guys Stenson and Lowry are one stroke back. Mack Hughes and Adam Hadwin are close to Taylor as well, good showing for all three. 

Really surprised at Corey Connors, as it looks like he might miss the cut. Also in danger are Zach Johnson, Brooks Koepka, DJ, and Sergio, although they have a bit of time today to make up for that.

It's nice on one hand the course is challenging enough the big names/bombers can't just destroy the field, but it also is going to suck a lot of the star power away from the weekend if none of those guys qualify. Since most more casual golf fans only watch weekend coverage, it will seem like the same old boring Canadian Open (where are the big names). It's not the tournaments fault these guys didn't prepare properly (McIlroy, Koepka and DJ all said they hadn't played the whole 18 before the tourney started Thursday) but it is going to hurt ratings and the bottom line. A real shame. 

WITB

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

On 6/5/2019 at 10:07 AM, Shankster said:

He shot a 60!!!!!!! today. I didn't think the course would be super challenging, but that is INSANE! 60 in a PGA tour event? Unbelievable!

WITB

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

1 minute ago, newballcoach said:

He shot a 60!!!!!!! today. I didn't think the course would be super challenging, but that is INSANE! 60 in a PGA tour event? Unbelievable!

He shot 59 last year too. He can produce some low scores. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Okay, I have one gripe with the schedule change now. Canadian Open and Formula 1 Canadian Grand Prix are now the same weekend. Guess it's PVR time again for the F1.

My pick of Graeme McDowell was purely hoping he would win and get into The Open, but he is only 4 back going into the weekend.  Looking good!!   Also. good showing by four Canadians so far, and my Canadian-pick Nick Taylor is just one shot back!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Link to the leaderboard. https://www.pgatour.com/leaderboard.html

I'm going with Webb Simpson.  Whenever I get into a putting funk I start channeling my inner Webb.  I like the way he and Fowler putt.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

Rory is putting on a clinic