TESTERS WANTED! ×

US OPEN

Shankster
Message added by STUDque

Getting a little faster at this each time. Here's your link for the #SpyStaffSlam picks:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1RRiDBlLOeOQpB9jIKbyNsXvDbfW6qzXq-5l7Q-9izhw

Good luck everyone!

Someone picked Brooks, Gary, and Louis for the spy staff slam.  That's  gotta be a huge haul, probably over 4M with their 4th choice

:cobra-small:   RADspeed 10.5, :projectx: Evenflow Riptide CB 6.0s

:cobra-small:  Bio Cell 3/4w, :projectx: PXV 6.0s; AMP 3h 19deg Aldila RIP R.  Bio Cell 4h 22.5deg :projectx: PXV R. 

:titleist-small:          2021/22 T200 5-7, T100 8-P (bent 1deg strong), :projectx: LZ 5.5 

:cleveland-small:      CBX-2 50/11 

:taylormade-small:   ATV 56/16deg 

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Impact No.3 Align putter

:Arccos:     Caddie for tracking.     

:titelist-small:            Pro V1X balls

Previous forum tests:

2019: Golf Pride Tour Velvet Plus 4 grips, Lynx Black Cat 5-PW.    2020:  :skycaddie: LX5 Watch.    2021:  :1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact #3 Align putter

Big congrats to a very deserving winner Gary Woodland and Wilson/Staff !

IMG_1744.JPG

:cobra-small: SpeedZone Pars and Stripes 9.5* Driver 14gm weight in back, VENTUS Blue 6-R set to +1* draw.

:cobra-small: 14.5* Fairway,  18.5* Fairway, 22.5* Fairway.  All with Tensei CK Blue R set to +1* draw.

:titleist-small:  816H1 27* Hybrid w/ Diamana Blue Board 70 HY Stiff Shaft

:cobra-small: SpeedZoneONE 5 + 6   KBS Tour 80 R

:cobra-small: SpeedZoneONE 7, 8, 9  KBS Tour 90 R                                     

:cobra-small: SpeedZoneONE P, G, S  KBS Wedge

:cobra-small: King Black ONE 60*  VO8*      True Temper Dynamic Gold Black

Lamkin Crossline Cord Connect Black Mid-size plus 2 wraps

:cameron-small:  Special Select Newport 2  34" :scotty-small: Matador grip               :Arccos:                                                                                                                                                               

:titleist-small:  -ProV1x  Align XL  

All in a :cobra-small:  Masters Staff Bag  or  SpeedZone stand bag

#COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE 4  The ONLY One Length Contestant!

Tested :bridgestone-small: Prototype Balls       Tour B RXS                Tested:image.png.8e77a45b1fe8c9cfb7c2a61386f855a5.pngBlack Cat irons 5 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Graphite Regular +0.5" 1* upright                

BirdieBall Outdoor Putting Green                                 

Probably a pretty unpopular opinion but here goes....

A US Open at Pebble Beach without any wind is not a "US Open". 
Yeah, the rough is thick but it didn't seem to be that bad; Woodland hit one on to the green from 170 out of it on Sunday.
The 7th hole was a joke - guys were just firing at the pin and with no wind it was child's play.
Eagles galore... Rose had more 1 putts than 2 putts for a while (I know he crash landed on Sunday but before then...)
I realize the greens are super tiny and you still had to hit them or at least get close but these guys are good.

Don't get me wrong - Pebble is a spectacular course that makes for good eye candy, but you take the wind out of it and it is not 'the greatest test in golf'....

see, told you it would be unpopular.  Fire away!

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

Just now, GolfSpy Stroker said:

Yeah, the rough is thick but it didn't seem to be that bad; Woodland hit one on to the green from 170 out of it on Sunday.
The 7th hole was a joke - guys were just firing at the pin and with no wind it was child's play.
Eagles galore... Rose had more 1 putts than 2 putts for a while (I know he crash landed on Sunday but before then...)
I realize the greens are super tiny and you still had to hit them or at least get close but these guys are good.

Don't get me wrong - Pebble is a spectacular course that makes for good eye candy, but you take the wind out of it and it is not 'the greatest test in golf'....

To me the PGA was more like the US Open and the US Open was more like the PGA this year.  That being said not only was there no wind but the greens were soft from the rain they received prior to the event.  You usually don't see even these guys backing up the ball on US Open greens but they did this year.  However, I did think the back 9 yesterday played very tough and really had the feel of a US Open to me.  But was it the course or the pressure? 

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

1 minute ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

I don't disagree, but that's the weather that week and it was the same for everyone.

We had similar when Calcavecchia won at Royal Troon, hot temps, zero wind and with Calcavecchia's fade a strong wind for the back 9 would have turned his fade into a banana slice. But it was what it was. Links and seaside courses need wind to really make it a test.

Pebble greens were soft and slow I believe compared to what a hot windy summer would bring, but thems the breaks.

Hopefully the wind will blow at Royal Portrush for THE Open in 4 weeks. It always seems to blow a Hooley whenever I play a links course lol

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

17 hours ago, HardcoreLooper said:

I've liked Woodland for a while, and especially so after his moment on 16 at the Waste Management with Amy Bockerstette.  This couldn't have happened to a better guy.

If I knew how to post it, I would, but check out her tweet to Gary yesterday.

"You got this Gary..."

^^^edit    Also meant to quote @Rickp to see her tweet

Edited by Grand Stranded

Driver:          :ping-small: G425 Max 10.5*

Fairway:      :ping-small: G425 Max 14*5* & 17.5*

Hybrids:      :ping-small: G425 Max 22* & 26*

Irons:           :callaway-small: Apex DCB 6-AW

Wedges:      :callaway-small: Jaws Raw Face 54-10

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore 58-6

Putter:         :EVNROLL:  ER7  34”

5 hours ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

Totally agree.

I really saw no concrete difference between the US Open and AT&T Pro-Am. For me, I enjoy one week, just one week, every year where the field has to score around par to win. Is -1 or -2 fine? Yes. And Tiger shooting -12 at Peeble in 2000? Yes again, because he played magnificently to do so and second place was over par. It was arguably the best 4 rounds ever played. So yeah, to all the players that whine about  week where they have to shoot close to par, I don't buy it. To me this was one of the most boring tournaments of the year (taking nothing away from Woodland, he's a great guy and I'm happy to see him win), but this wasn't the US Open I look foward to every year. 

Edited by GB13

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

What was very un-US Open like about this US Open was that the USGA did not screw up the course. The weather is usually a factor at The Open, but the USGA is what the golfers have to battle at the US Open.

The USGA was not a factor because they set the course up right. No players were bitching and no one can rightfully say that good shots were not rewarded and bad shot were not penalized. In the past few years even good shots were sometimes penalized.

Kudos to the USGA (for a change).

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

6 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Is this unpopular?

Who cares if they are +30 or -30.

Winning is winning. By an inch or a mile. emoji854.png

100% Woodland played great and totally deserved the title. 

I'm just saying, I'd have rather watched them play a course that was set up more difficulty. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

The course was set up as difficult as they could get it given the weather conditions for the week and in the weeks leading up to the event itself.

There wasn't much more they could do to toughen up the setup when the sun never came out and the temperatures not surpassing 70 with little to no wind for an ocean adjacent course.

They brought the rough in quite a bit on many holes, which completely changed target lines off the tee compared to the AT&T.

Winning score was 6 shots worse than Phil's winning score earlier this year and I may be remembering wrong but I think scoring conditions were much better at the US Open than the AT&T.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER PXG 0811XF GEN4 (10.5°)

FAIRWAY WOODS PXG 0341XF GEN4 (16°)

HYBRIDS PXG 0317XF GEN4 (19°), PXG 0317X GEN4 (22°)

IRONS PXG 0311T GEN3 (5 - 9)

WEDGES TAYLORMADE MG3 (45°, 50°, 55° TW Grind, 60° TW Grind)

PUTTER PXG BATTLE READY ONE & DONE

7 hours ago, FrogginBullfish said:

The course was set up as difficult as they could get it given the weather conditions for the week and in the weeks leading up to the event itself.

There wasn't much more they could do to toughen up the setup when the sun never came out and the temperatures not surpassing 70 with little to no wind for an ocean adjacent course.

They brought the rough in quite a bit on many holes, which completely changed target lines off the tee compared to the AT&T.

Winning score was 6 shots worse than Phil's winning score earlier this year and I may be remembering wrong but I think scoring conditions were much better at the US Open than the AT&T.

This.

This was Erin Hills all over again.  The USGA had to set the course up with wind in mind, and they didn't get any wind.  Had they gotten some wind, it would have been a whole different ballgame.

That being said, the guys who controlled their tee shots well were rewarded with approach shots that they could execute.  We didn't have a bunched leaderboard; we had two guys that out-executed the rest of the field.  A good course that's set up well lets the best players that week separate themselves from the pack.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

I think it was more of a Congressional in 2011 than an Erin Hills but the point stands all the same.

Erin Hills was a mistake for a US Open from the beginning. More suited to a PGA Championship than a US Open.

This.
This was Erin Hills all over again.  The USGA had to set the course up with wind in mind, and they didn't get any wind.  Had they gotten some wind, it would have been a whole different ballgame.
That being said, the guys who controlled their tee shots well were rewarded with approach shots that they could execute.  We didn't have a bunched leaderboard; we had two guys that out-executed the rest of the field.  A good course that's set up well lets the best players that week separate themselves from the pack.

DRIVER PXG 0811XF GEN4 (10.5°)

FAIRWAY WOODS PXG 0341XF GEN4 (16°)

HYBRIDS PXG 0317XF GEN4 (19°), PXG 0317X GEN4 (22°)

IRONS PXG 0311T GEN3 (5 - 9)

WEDGES TAYLORMADE MG3 (45°, 50°, 55° TW Grind, 60° TW Grind)

PUTTER PXG BATTLE READY ONE & DONE

20 hours ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

I thought it was awesome.

They could hold the US Open at a local public muni and it would still rule, if all the best players and qualifiers are there to compete.  They all have to play the same course and conditions, whether or not there is wind, or high rough, or greens stimping 18. 

I think the course was fine.  A course that beats players up causes frustration.  13 under is, relatively speaking, not a super low score or a joke by any means, where most everyone else were single digits under.

A 15 handicap "perspective player" would have easily shot 130 for one round 🙂

Sometimes the course is nasty, sometimes not so much.  All still have to compete against each other.  🙂.  It still made the best player in the world hit lights out, only to fall short.  

just my $.02.  🙂

I do understand where your thinking comes from.  🙂

:cobra-small:   RADspeed 10.5, :projectx: Evenflow Riptide CB 6.0s

:cobra-small:  Bio Cell 3/4w, :projectx: PXV 6.0s; AMP 3h 19deg Aldila RIP R.  Bio Cell 4h 22.5deg :projectx: PXV R. 

:titleist-small:          2021/22 T200 5-7, T100 8-P (bent 1deg strong), :projectx: LZ 5.5 

:cleveland-small:      CBX-2 50/11 

:taylormade-small:   ATV 56/16deg 

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Impact No.3 Align putter

:Arccos:     Caddie for tracking.     

:titelist-small:            Pro V1X balls

Previous forum tests:

2019: Golf Pride Tour Velvet Plus 4 grips, Lynx Black Cat 5-PW.    2020:  :skycaddie: LX5 Watch.    2021:  :1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact #3 Align putter

This guy...man... he is just as good as they get.... PGA tour needs more like him.
Awesome dude.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

25 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

This guy...man... he is just as good as they get.... PGA tour needs more like him.
Awesome dude.

I need to stop peeling onions when I watch stuff like this.

Out-Standing by a true Champion.........in more ways than just golf!

Thanks for sharing.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

34 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

Awesome dude.

The PGA Tour need to promote more players like Gary and stop shoving the same half-dozen players down our throats. 

#GrowTheGame

The PGA Tour need to promote more players like Gary and stop shoving the same half-dozen players down our throats. 
#GrowTheGame

You got this one right. Great guy nobody knew, till now. I didn’t know who he was until that awesome Waste Mgt piece with Amy.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list