TESTERS WANTED! ×

Jim Gray yanked from Golf Channel’s Northern coverage

Moecat

http://tucsoncitizen.com/usa-today-sports/2011/02/18/jim-gray-yanked-from-golf-channels-northern-coverage/

by USA Today Top Sports News Feed on Feb. 18, 2011, under USA Today Sports

jimgrayx-large.jpg

Jim Gray has been “removed” from the Golf Channel's coverage of the Northern Trust Open in Pacific Palisades, Calif. this week, according to network spokesman Dan Higgins.

Gray apparently got into a heated argument with golfer Dustin Johnson's caddie Thursday. Johnson incurred a two-stroke penalty after nearly missing his tee time, a blunder Gray reported on the network's Golf Central show. After Johnson posted a first round 73, his caddie got into a profanity-laced argument.

“Our aim is to provide the best possible golf coverage for our viewers. Anything else is a disservice. In order not to provide further distraction, we've decided to remove Jim from this particular assignment,” Higgins told Game On! Friday.

Gray works as a freelance reporter for the Golf Channel. Since he lives in the Los Angeles area, he's been covering the PGA Tour's West Coast swing.

Copyright 2011 USATODAY.com

http://72strokes.com/2011/02/dustin-johnson-avoids-dq-by-6-seconds/

Dustin Johnson avoids DQ by 6 seconds

by DEREK on FEBRUARY 18, 2011

dustin-johnson-333x500.jpg

With six seconds to spare before being disqualified, Dustin Johnson arrived on the first tee of the Northern Trust Open yesterday for his 7:32 AM tee time. Players have 5 minutes to arrive for their tee time before being DQ'd. Johnson's caddie had told him that the tee time 8:12, which was actually the tee time for the previous day's pro-am.

Luckily, Johnson was in the middle of his warm-up routine on the range when a PGA Tour official came running over to let him know that he was late for his tee time. He was assessed a 2-stroke penalty for his tardiness, which started his round on a sour note:

I was pretty (ticked) off on No. 1 and No. 2… and 3, and 4 and 5.

Johnson eventually calmed down and shot a 73. The penalty definitely hurt him on the course, but it was a better outcome than a DQ (although that worked out pretty well for Jim Furyk last year).

[image Rob Hayashida/Sandbox8.com]

Derek

72strokeslogo_green.jpg

Incidentally Jim Gray is not listed on the Golf Channel's "on-air talent" page. I'm not sure if he was there before, but given the fact that he got in a yelling match with Corey Pavin and his wife after a round in the media center at the PGA Championship, it wouldn't surprise me if he got the ax over this.

http://72strokes.com/2011/02/jim-gray-pulled-from-northern-trust-open-coverage/

Derek

72strokeslogo_green.jpg

Wouldn't bother me in the least if he lost his job. I think he's terrible. He's like a slash/hack reporter that should be working for the gossip magazines. He kisses up to who he likes and then rips the people he don't like. trys to come off as the moral police. He's yeleld and argued with corey Pavin and his wife, now it's DJ and his caddy. I don't care for his type of BS journalism just like that other wacko Rick Riley. They both suck! :lol:

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

He should be working for the National Enquire. Or follow Linsey Lohan around for scoops.

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

This guy has never played within the rules or displayed any class - ie 1999 Pete Rose, then Corey Pavin in 2010, and most of all the Le Bron fest last year. His decorum is shameful. It's high time he gets his due and no more jobs - he was freelancing for GC. Inappropriate would be the first word that comes to mind to describe his actions over the years.

I'm wondering why it was the caddy's job to know the tee time. Seems immature to me. Might be why the whole fight started- upset that the penalty was assessed, maybe a little upset that he was basically left out to dry... got worse from there. Maybe it's just me, but I could see it happening that way.

Am I missing something ?

A reporter lost his assignment for reporting that a caddy gave his player the wrong tee time and the caddy didn't like having that reported ?

I don't see the sense in this.

Shambles

jim gray will hide behind your exact statement all day long and say well these guys are professionals and i'm just doing my job.

the problem is that why is he the only one that does THAT KIND OF JOB to these professionals?

gray goes out of his way to insinuate, aggravate, and needle at players at in opportune moments like everyone here has pointed out.

he reminds me of the pencilneck that when he's confronted to get his butt kicked in, quickly throws on a pair of glasses and says 'you wouldnt hit a guy with glasses on?'

i for one am glad that others in this thread feel the same about this jerk as much as i do. he has a history of attempting to BE THE NEWS instead of reporting it.

:cobra-small: Staffer 

:Arccos: Staffer 

www.MANAVIANGolf.com

Am I missing something ?

A reporter lost his assignment for reporting that a caddy gave his player the wrong tee time and the caddy didn't like having that reported ?

I don't see the sense in this.

Shambles

No, he got pulled because he decided to scoop the reporters who follow the rules by interrupting a player and his group during his round to interview him about why he was late to the first tee. When you're covering the tour, you NEVER start talking to a player during his round unless he says something to you first. If Gray had waited until Johnson was leaving the scoring area like he was supposed to, it wouldn't have been an issue.

Derek

72strokeslogo_green.jpg

I agree manavs this guy is a total jerk.I cant stand him when he interviews people I turn the channel. Never understood why tgc hired him.

Callaway razr x tour 5-pw

titleist 585h 24 &21 hybrid

Heavy wedge 52 gap wedge

Nike sv sand and lob wedge

Callaway Diablo Octane tour Driver

Adams F 11 3 wood

Seemore ci2 or Bettinardi studio stock 2

Archived