Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
dmgolfer

Costs of 1-1 lessons

Recommended Posts

Hi:

Recently took advantage of a deal a local pro offered for 3 lesson, some flight scope data and video. We discussed after the 3 lessons what on-going lessons and what type of plan we can work on. I did see some improvement and liked what he pointed out during our initial 3 lessons. 

What is considered a good per lesson price; I do live in Southern California and this is a local muni where I found him?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It really depends on the pro, his experience level, and market conditions.  Muni course is likely to be the least expensive.  Prices can range from $35/lesson to well over $100/lesson.  Going with a package deal will net you better prices.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Depends on the area and the pro. There’s usually a general average all pros charge in an area then there’s the more popular/better ones or that work at upper level places that charge more.

the cost is really dependent on the golfer and what they are getting 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lessons are not cheap but they do become more cost effective when you commit to a package. If you have a Golftec (or like company) in your area they are a good way to go. While the package cost may be a little intimidating at first if you use all the package has to offer it’s a pretty good deal.

Remember everything is a negotiation until it’s not. If you have a pro in your area who doesn’t offer a package you can live with then propose your own deal. He/she is trying to make a living. If it were me on the teaching end I’d probably consider any reasonable offer.


Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Money is always a factor but keep in mind the most expensive instructors may not suit you. I would interview a bunch and ask about their approach to teaching and then how much 1-1 lessons are. Also some do group clinics which might be a good way to "test drive" the instructor. FYI twice I made the mistake to the most expensive instructor and they didn't last more than 2 lessons each.

Also most do offer package deals which on a per lesson basis are quite a bit lower.


Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've paid 30 bucks a lesson and the new guy I'm doing is 50 a lesson. I think it really depends on the area and the amount of golfers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In North Texas, lessons can range from $40 to over 100.  The course I take lessons at charges $100 per lesson, but I buy a package that reduces it to $80 per lesson.  This is a state of the art facility that uses trackman, indoor hitting bays, covered outdoor practice bays, etc.  My instructor is great.  He has drastically improved my swing without totally changing my natural mechanics.  So I found the features worth the price.  I enjoy each lesson almost as much as a round of golf.  Totally worth it in my opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/9/2019 at 7:26 AM, SteddyGolf said:

Lessons are not cheap but they do become more cost effective when you commit to a package. If you have a Golftec (or like company) in your area they are a good way to go. While the package cost may be a little intimidating at first if you use all the package has to offer it’s a pretty good deal.

Remember everything is a negotiation until it’s not. If you have a pro in your area who doesn’t offer a package you can live with then propose your own deal. He/she is trying to make a living. If it were me on the teaching end I’d probably consider any reasonable offer.


Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

We just had a new Golftec open up near my house and I'm considering doing the swing analysis. Have you done the lesson plan from them and had positive results?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, chershey said:

We just had a new Golftec open up near my house and I'm considering doing the swing analysis. Have you done the lesson plan from them and had positive results?

I’ve heard several “horror” stories about golfwrx lessons. I haven’t done them myself but I have had a free swing analysis from them several years ago during tigers event at congressional. 

Im not a fan of their approach that seems to be one swing for all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My muni pro is $30 an hour and he's by far one of the least expensive. I think it's important to be able to talk with the pro so they understand what you want out of the lesson. Do you need a tune up or are looking for a whole rebuild? If the former you need to find a pro who understands that, not one that will ignore your needs and only teach "their" swing. If the pro only wants your money and isn't willing to take 20 min or so to talk to you about what you need, it isn't worth your time.

Take Dead Aim

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unless it's snowing, outdoor lessons are significantly more beneficial than indoor, hence why I don't recommend Golftec. I will occasionally utilize a launch monitor indoors to get impact data on new clubs but the outdoors is the way to go. Ask playing partners or ask folks on the range who they would recommend for lessons. I imagine there are some good teachers in the S. Cal area. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
We just had a new Golftec open up near my house and I'm considering doing the swing analysis. Have you done the lesson plan from them and had positive results?


I’ve not done lessons with them but I’ve had friends who have. I think they get a bad rap because of their business model which is like all good businesses designed to make money.

I think you are spot on by starting with a swing analysis. That experience will give you a good feel for their products. If it’s not for you then you simply move on. I will say from my knowledge they offer a lot then kind of bet on the fact you will not take advantage of all the benefits. Kind of like a gym membership.....folks join, go for a month then tapper that down to once a week.

I did have a guy I played with every Sunday who’s progress thru Golftec was astonishing. He went from 20 to 6 in a matter of months. Granted he was a former college athlete but the basics built through his time at Golftec really maximized his god given abilities.

There will be folks who will jump on here to lambaste Golftec. I say judge for yourself.


Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a second note about Golftec. Yes they have a business model in place to maximize their profits. They too must feed their families, make car payments and house payments, etc..... The one thing to keep in mind is your experience is based on two things; the quality of instruction and your willingness to keep an open mind to learn.

FYI- the most common cost I’ve seen across the industry for Golf lessons is between $30 to $60 an hour.


Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SteddyGolf said:

Just a second note about Golftec. Yes they have a business model in place to maximize their profits. They too must feed their families, make car payments and house payments, etc..... The one thing to keep in mind is your experience is based on two things; the quality of instruction and your willingness to keep an open mind to learn.

FYI- the most common cost I’ve seen across the industry for Golf lessons is between $30 to $60 an hour.


Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Thanks! I have no issues buying into something if I think it will work. The amount of money I spent for my custom fit clubs at Club Champion a couple of months ago are a testimony to that. They to have an expensive business plan that I also bought into, but I'm already seeing massive improvements from my fit. I'm obsessed with getting my scores consistently in the 70s and a consistent lesson plan seems like the logical next step to get me there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Thanks! I have no issues buying into something if I think it will work. The amount of money I spent for my custom fit clubs at Club Champion a couple of months ago are a testimony to that. They to have an expensive business plan that I also bought into, but I'm already seeing massive improvements from my fit. I'm obsessed with getting my scores consistently in the 70s and a consistent lesson plan seems like the logical next step to get me there.


If you are already a single digit guy you might find lessons to be a bit frustrating. That’s were the “willingness to learn” comes into play. To take a step forward you might need to take two steps backward first. This is where teaching adults is a challenge. We learn to compensate to achieve functional results and are unwilling to give up our current competencies even when it may lead to greater gains in the future. Pride and ego tend to get in the way.

If you are willingly to accept some mid 80 to low 90s scores in the short term for a few rounds while you work through those swing changes I am confident low 70s will soon follow.

I also recommend you review your course management behaviors along with you club selection pattern. You might find a hidden jewel that will lead to lower scores in the absence of formal lessons.


Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This thread got me thinking about taking some more lessons again. We just got a new dedicated instructor at my home course, but I'm starting to wonder whether or not I can afford him... 1 lesson = $70 for 45 minutes (not bad IMO), but packages start at $450!!! I'm not sure I would even call them packages as much as I would call them experiences either because they're all tailored for something a little different. I like the concept, but yeesh!!!

$450 - A Day with the Instructor - Includes: 2hr long game/swing instruction, 1hr short game, 1hr putting, 1hr lunch break to discuss goals and course management, 9-hole playing lesson, 1hr post-round supervised practice session.

$600 - "Phil Package" - Includes: 1 skill assessment & video analysis of short game technique, 8 short game lessons, monthly supervised practice sessions, personalized practice routines.

$725 - "Tiger Package" - Includes: Video and data analysis with each club, 10 individual lessons, monthly supervised practice sessions, personalized practice routines.

$2000 - "Tour Package" - Includes: Video and data analysis with each club, 3 skill assessments (beginning, middle, and end of season), unlimited lessons, monthly supervised practice sessions, personalized practice routines, unlimited video submissions for review & feedback.

While any one of those packages sound great. None of them are really in my price range. How about 3 lessons for $175 or something???

May have to look at lessons from someone else which has it's pro's and con's. Pro's: close to my house, best practice facilities in the area, lower cost. Con's: I'm not a huge fan of the instructor... He's good, but he's also kind of a...ummm... disposable feminine product in bag form...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TR1PTIK said:

This thread got me thinking about taking some more lessons again. We just got a new dedicated instructor at my home course, but I'm starting to wonder whether or not I can afford him... 1 lesson = $70 for 45 minutes (not bad IMO), but packages start at $450!!! I'm not sure I would even call them packages as much as I would call them experiences either because they're all tailored for something a little different. I like the concept, but yeesh!!!

$450 - A Day with the Instructor - Includes: 2hr long game/swing instruction, 1hr short game, 1hr putting, 1hr lunch break to discuss goals and course management, 9-hole playing lesson, 1hr post-round supervised practice session.

$600 - "Phil Package" - Includes: 1 skill assessment & video analysis of short game technique, 8 short game lessons, monthly supervised practice sessions, personalized practice routines.

$725 - "Tiger Package" - Includes: Video and data analysis with each club, 10 individual lessons, monthly supervised practice sessions, personalized practice routines.

$2000 - "Tour Package" - Includes: Video and data analysis with each club, 3 skill assessments (beginning, middle, and end of season), unlimited lessons, monthly supervised practice sessions, personalized practice routines, unlimited video submissions for review & feedback.

While any one of those packages sound great. None of them are really in my price range. How about 3 lessons for $175 or something???

May have to look at lessons from someone else which has it's pro's and con's. Pro's: close to my house, best practice facilities in the area, lower cost. Con's: I'm not a huge fan of the instructor... He's good, but he's also kind of a...ummm... disposable feminine product in bag form...

Here is my opinion, I would avoid the day package at all costs. You'll be exhausted and have so much information thrown at you, none of it will stick. Golf isn't a sport that you can master in a day. It's a long process that requires additional tune-ups along the way. 

Also, if you aren't a fan of the instructor, he may not be the best fit for your game. 

Just my $0.02

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@TR1PTIK, ask if does 3 lesson packages. I haven’t found an instructor that wasn’t willing to put together a set of lessons that worked for the player. Just because it isn’t listed doesn’t mean it isn’t available.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TR1PTIK said:

This thread got me thinking about taking some more lessons again. We just got a new dedicated instructor at my home course, but I'm starting to wonder whether or not I can afford him... 1 lesson = $70 for 45 minutes (not bad IMO), but packages start at $450!!! I'm not sure I would even call them packages as much as I would call them experiences either because they're all tailored for something a little different. I like the concept, but yeesh!!!

$450 - A Day with the Instructor - Includes: 2hr long game/swing instruction, 1hr short game, 1hr putting, 1hr lunch break to discuss goals and course management, 9-hole playing lesson, 1hr post-round supervised practice session.

$600 - "Phil Package" - Includes: 1 skill assessment & video analysis of short game technique, 8 short game lessons, monthly supervised practice sessions, personalized practice routines.

$725 - "Tiger Package" - Includes: Video and data analysis with each club, 10 individual lessons, monthly supervised practice sessions, personalized practice routines.

$2000 - "Tour Package" - Includes: Video and data analysis with each club, 3 skill assessments (beginning, middle, and end of season), unlimited lessons, monthly supervised practice sessions, personalized practice routines, unlimited video submissions for review & feedback.

While any one of those packages sound great. None of them are really in my price range. How about 3 lessons for $175 or something???

May have to look at lessons from someone else which has it's pro's and con's. Pro's: close to my house, best practice facilities in the area, lower cost. Con's: I'm not a huge fan of the instructor... He's good, but he's also kind of a...ummm... disposable feminine product in bag form...

The Phil, tiger and tour package if they can be afforded sound like the best experiences and bang for the buck. Supervised practice sessions and individualized practice plans are a nice to have, even if the practice sessions are groups of students. It’s almost like a free clinic t

Based on the bolded part I wouldn’t spend any money with him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Based on the bolded part I wouldn’t spend any money with him.


I interpreted that as a con for another instructor in the area and not the one with the packages. If it is the one with the packages then I would agree; lessons always seem better if you like the instructor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...