TESTERS WANTED! ×

Costs of 1-1 lessons

Hi:

Recently took advantage of a deal a local pro offered for 3 lesson, some flight scope data and video. We discussed after the 3 lessons what on-going lessons and what type of plan we can work on. I did see some improvement and liked what he pointed out during our initial 3 lessons. 

What is considered a good per lesson price; I do live in Southern California and this is a local muni where I found him?

It really depends on the pro, his experience level, and market conditions.  Muni course is likely to be the least expensive.  Prices can range from $35/lesson to well over $100/lesson.  Going with a package deal will net you better prices.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

Depends on the area and the pro. There’s usually a general average all pros charge in an area then there’s the more popular/better ones or that work at upper level places that charge more.

the cost is really dependent on the golfer and what they are getting 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Lessons are not cheap but they do become more cost effective when you commit to a package. If you have a Golftec (or like company) in your area they are a good way to go. While the package cost may be a little intimidating at first if you use all the package has to offer it’s a pretty good deal.

Remember everything is a negotiation until it’s not. If you have a pro in your area who doesn’t offer a package you can live with then propose your own deal. He/she is trying to make a living. If it were me on the teaching end I’d probably consider any reasonable offer.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

Money is always a factor but keep in mind the most expensive instructors may not suit you. I would interview a bunch and ask about their approach to teaching and then how much 1-1 lessons are. Also some do group clinics which might be a good way to "test drive" the instructor. FYI twice I made the mistake to the most expensive instructor and they didn't last more than 2 lessons each.

Also most do offer package deals which on a per lesson basis are quite a bit lower.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I've paid 30 bucks a lesson and the new guy I'm doing is 50 a lesson. I think it really depends on the area and the amount of golfers. 

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

In North Texas, lessons can range from $40 to over 100.  The course I take lessons at charges $100 per lesson, but I buy a package that reduces it to $80 per lesson.  This is a state of the art facility that uses trackman, indoor hitting bays, covered outdoor practice bays, etc.  My instructor is great.  He has drastically improved my swing without totally changing my natural mechanics.  So I found the features worth the price.  I enjoy each lesson almost as much as a round of golf.  Totally worth it in my opinion.

Mizuno JPX EZ driver

Taylormade SLDR HL 3 wood

Mizuno JPX EZ hybrids 3 & 4

Mizuno JPX EZ Irons 4-G

Titleist SM6 Vokey wedge 54.10

Odyssey White Hot Pro V-line putter

On 6/9/2019 at 7:26 AM, SteddyGolf said:

Lessons are not cheap but they do become more cost effective when you commit to a package. If you have a Golftec (or like company) in your area they are a good way to go. While the package cost may be a little intimidating at first if you use all the package has to offer it’s a pretty good deal.

Remember everything is a negotiation until it’s not. If you have a pro in your area who doesn’t offer a package you can live with then propose your own deal. He/she is trying to make a living. If it were me on the teaching end I’d probably consider any reasonable offer.

We just had a new Golftec open up near my house and I'm considering doing the swing analysis. Have you done the lesson plan from them and had positive results?

Titleist TS3 9.5* w/Accra TZ5 65 X-Stiff
Titleist TS3 15* w/Fujikura Ventus 7X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 20* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 23* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Titleist 718 CB 5 iron w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist 718 MB 6-PW w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist SM7 Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Bettinardi Queen B 10 34.5"
Titleist Pro V1 or Snell MTB-X

26 minutes ago, chershey said:

We just had a new Golftec open up near my house and I'm considering doing the swing analysis. Have you done the lesson plan from them and had positive results?

I’ve heard several “horror” stories about golfwrx lessons. I haven’t done them myself but I have had a free swing analysis from them several years ago during tigers event at congressional. 

Im not a fan of their approach that seems to be one swing for all.

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

My muni pro is $30 an hour and he's by far one of the least expensive. I think it's important to be able to talk with the pro so they understand what you want out of the lesson. Do you need a tune up or are looking for a whole rebuild? If the former you need to find a pro who understands that, not one that will ignore your needs and only teach "their" swing. If the pro only wants your money and isn't willing to take 20 min or so to talk to you about what you need, it isn't worth your time.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

Unless it's snowing, outdoor lessons are significantly more beneficial than indoor, hence why I don't recommend Golftec. I will occasionally utilize a launch monitor indoors to get impact data on new clubs but the outdoors is the way to go. Ask playing partners or ask folks on the range who they would recommend for lessons. I imagine there are some good teachers in the S. Cal area. 

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

I’ve not done lessons with them but I’ve had friends who have. I think they get a bad rap because of their business model which is like all good businesses designed to make money.

I think you are spot on by starting with a swing analysis. That experience will give you a good feel for their products. If it’s not for you then you simply move on. I will say from my knowledge they offer a lot then kind of bet on the fact you will not take advantage of all the benefits. Kind of like a gym membership.....folks join, go for a month then tapper that down to once a week.

I did have a guy I played with every Sunday who’s progress thru Golftec was astonishing. He went from 20 to 6 in a matter of months. Granted he was a former college athlete but the basics built through his time at Golftec really maximized his god given abilities.

There will be folks who will jump on here to lambaste Golftec. I say judge for yourself.

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

Just a second note about Golftec. Yes they have a business model in place to maximize their profits. They too must feed their families, make car payments and house payments, etc..... The one thing to keep in mind is your experience is based on two things; the quality of instruction and your willingness to keep an open mind to learn.

FYI- the most common cost I’ve seen across the industry for Golf lessons is between $30 to $60 an hour.

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

1 hour ago, SteddyGolf said:

Just a second note about Golftec. Yes they have a business model in place to maximize their profits. They too must feed their families, make car payments and house payments, etc..... The one thing to keep in mind is your experience is based on two things; the quality of instruction and your willingness to keep an open mind to learn.

FYI- the most common cost I’ve seen across the industry for Golf lessons is between $30 to $60 an hour.

Thanks! I have no issues buying into something if I think it will work. The amount of money I spent for my custom fit clubs at Club Champion a couple of months ago are a testimony to that. They to have an expensive business plan that I also bought into, but I'm already seeing massive improvements from my fit. I'm obsessed with getting my scores consistently in the 70s and a consistent lesson plan seems like the logical next step to get me there.

Thanks! I have no issues buying into something if I think it will work. The amount of money I spent for my custom fit clubs at Club Champion a couple of months ago are a testimony to that. They to have an expensive business plan that I also bought into, but I'm already seeing massive improvements from my fit. I'm obsessed with getting my scores consistently in the 70s and a consistent lesson plan seems like the logical next step to get me there.

If you are already a single digit guy you might find lessons to be a bit frustrating. That’s were the “willingness to learn” comes into play. To take a step forward you might need to take two steps backward first. This is where teaching adults is a challenge. We learn to compensate to achieve functional results and are unwilling to give up our current competencies even when it may lead to greater gains in the future. Pride and ego tend to get in the way.

If you are willingly to accept some mid 80 to low 90s scores in the short term for a few rounds while you work through those swing changes I am confident low 70s will soon follow.

I also recommend you review your course management behaviors along with you club selection pattern. You might find a hidden jewel that will lead to lower scores in the absence of formal lessons.

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

This thread got me thinking about taking some more lessons again. We just got a new dedicated instructor at my home course, but I'm starting to wonder whether or not I can afford him... 1 lesson = $70 for 45 minutes (not bad IMO), but packages start at $450!!! I'm not sure I would even call them packages as much as I would call them experiences either because they're all tailored for something a little different. I like the concept, but yeesh!!!

$450 - A Day with the Instructor - Includes: 2hr long game/swing instruction, 1hr short game, 1hr putting, 1hr lunch break to discuss goals and course management, 9-hole playing lesson, 1hr post-round supervised practice session.

$600 - "Phil Package" - Includes: 1 skill assessment & video analysis of short game technique, 8 short game lessons, monthly supervised practice sessions, personalized practice routines.

$725 - "Tiger Package" - Includes: Video and data analysis with each club, 10 individual lessons, monthly supervised practice sessions, personalized practice routines.

$2000 - "Tour Package" - Includes: Video and data analysis with each club, 3 skill assessments (beginning, middle, and end of season), unlimited lessons, monthly supervised practice sessions, personalized practice routines, unlimited video submissions for review & feedback.

While any one of those packages sound great. None of them are really in my price range. How about 3 lessons for $175 or something???

May have to look at lessons from someone else which has it's pro's and con's. Pro's: close to my house, best practice facilities in the area, lower cost. Con's: I'm not a huge fan of the instructor... He's good, but he's also kind of a...ummm... disposable feminine product in bag form...

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

1 hour ago, TR1PTIK said:

This thread got me thinking about taking some more lessons again. We just got a new dedicated instructor at my home course, but I'm starting to wonder whether or not I can afford him... 1 lesson = $70 for 45 minutes (not bad IMO), but packages start at $450!!! I'm not sure I would even call them packages as much as I would call them experiences either because they're all tailored for something a little different. I like the concept, but yeesh!!!

$450 - A Day with the Instructor - Includes: 2hr long game/swing instruction, 1hr short game, 1hr putting, 1hr lunch break to discuss goals and course management, 9-hole playing lesson, 1hr post-round supervised practice session.

$600 - "Phil Package" - Includes: 1 skill assessment & video analysis of short game technique, 8 short game lessons, monthly supervised practice sessions, personalized practice routines.

$725 - "Tiger Package" - Includes: Video and data analysis with each club, 10 individual lessons, monthly supervised practice sessions, personalized practice routines.

$2000 - "Tour Package" - Includes: Video and data analysis with each club, 3 skill assessments (beginning, middle, and end of season), unlimited lessons, monthly supervised practice sessions, personalized practice routines, unlimited video submissions for review & feedback.

While any one of those packages sound great. None of them are really in my price range. How about 3 lessons for $175 or something???

May have to look at lessons from someone else which has it's pro's and con's. Pro's: close to my house, best practice facilities in the area, lower cost. Con's: I'm not a huge fan of the instructor... He's good, but he's also kind of a...ummm... disposable feminine product in bag form...

Here is my opinion, I would avoid the day package at all costs. You'll be exhausted and have so much information thrown at you, none of it will stick. Golf isn't a sport that you can master in a day. It's a long process that requires additional tune-ups along the way. 

Also, if you aren't a fan of the instructor, he may not be the best fit for your game. 

Just my $0.02

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

@TR1PTIK, ask if does 3 lesson packages. I haven’t found an instructor that wasn’t willing to put together a set of lessons that worked for the player. Just because it isn’t listed doesn’t mean it isn’t available.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, TR1PTIK said:

The Phil, tiger and tour package if they can be afforded sound like the best experiences and bang for the buck. Supervised practice sessions and individualized practice plans are a nice to have, even if the practice sessions are groups of students. It’s almost like a free clinic t

Based on the bolded part I wouldn’t spend any money with him.

I interpreted that as a con for another instructor in the area and not the one with the packages. If it is the one with the packages then I would agree; lessons always seem better if you like the instructor

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

50 minutes ago, GB13 said:

Here is my opinion, I would avoid the day package at all costs. You'll be exhausted and have so much information thrown at you, none of it will stick. Golf isn't a sport that you can master in a day. It's a long process that requires additional tune-ups along the way. 

Also, if you aren't a fan of the instructor, he may not be the best fit for your game. 

Just my $0.02

Yeah, I agree. Just reading the description is exhausting!!!

It's been a while since I've spoken directly with him, but he's the head pro at the only private club in the area and comes off as a bit pretentious at times. What really soiled me for him was that after a couple lessons with him in previous years, he suggested I come out for a demo day just to try out some of the equipment and see what I thought. I hit some balls, tried some clubs, and ultimately decided not to buy. Next time I saw him, he practically blew me off.

I'm a nice enough guy, I'd be willing to give it one more try (there's a decent chance it's been long enough he won't even remember me),  but even with the lower price for instruction he is not my go-to.

48 minutes ago, cnosil said:

@TR1PTIK, ask if does 3 lesson packages. I haven’t found an instructor that wasn’t willing to put together a set of lessons that worked for the player. Just because it isn’t listed doesn’t mean it isn’t available.

I thought about that as I was typing. I haven't spent a lot of time around him, but what little I have he seems like he'd bite on something like that. I'm just surprised that the pricing for his services jumps so dramatically. He could definitely fill the bottom end a bit better.

49 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

The Phil, tiger and tour package if they can be afforded sound like the best experiences and bang for the buck. Supervised practice sessions and individualized practice plans are a nice to have, even if the practice sessions are groups of students. It’s almost like a free clinic t

The Tour Package is certainly the most intriguing option (also the most out of my league option). For where my game is, the Phil package is where I think my dollars would be best spent, but $600 is a lot to stomach at the moment.

I offered a little more detail when replying to @GB13, but basically I've made it a point to keep some separation between us for a while. I'd be willing to try once and see if there's enough water under the bridge to make it work, but any indication that he's still like that and I'm out!

Going back to the original poster I don't know that we've answered his question yet probably because we can't.  We would each of us know what the cost of lessons are in our own areas.  You should be able to make a few calls  to poll local places and see what is being charged.  It sounded like you had success with the guy/gal that you were working with so I would stick with them unless they are unaffordable - I'd find it hard to believe that someone at a local muni was much above $50 even in SoCal.  So I would guess that's affordable.

BTW for guys who were thinking that taking lessons at a club is more expensive it actually isn't. That's one of the perks - my guy is $60-$100 for non-members and $40 for members - he bills us at his cheapest package rate.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I'm taking a lesson tonight from a local pro that my wife got me a gift certificate for back at Christmas. He's supposed to be really good but he also charges $180 for an hour lesson, so I'm hoping I will get plenty out of it. I'm also playing Saturday at a really nice course I've never played before, so I won't have much time to work on anything he teaches me tonight. I may have to just stick with my current swing on Saturday and then work on any swing changes after that.