Sign in to follow this  
dmgolfer

Costs of 1-1 lessons

50 minutes ago, GB13 said:

Here is my opinion, I would avoid the day package at all costs. You'll be exhausted and have so much information thrown at you, none of it will stick. Golf isn't a sport that you can master in a day. It's a long process that requires additional tune-ups along the way. 

Also, if you aren't a fan of the instructor, he may not be the best fit for your game. 

Just my $0.02

Yeah, I agree. Just reading the description is exhausting!!!

It's been a while since I've spoken directly with him, but he's the head pro at the only private club in the area and comes off as a bit pretentious at times. What really soiled me for him was that after a couple lessons with him in previous years, he suggested I come out for a demo day just to try out some of the equipment and see what I thought. I hit some balls, tried some clubs, and ultimately decided not to buy. Next time I saw him, he practically blew me off.

I'm a nice enough guy, I'd be willing to give it one more try (there's a decent chance it's been long enough he won't even remember me),  but even with the lower price for instruction he is not my go-to.

48 minutes ago, cnosil said:

@TR1PTIK, ask if does 3 lesson packages. I haven’t found an instructor that wasn’t willing to put together a set of lessons that worked for the player. Just because it isn’t listed doesn’t mean it isn’t available.

I thought about that as I was typing. I haven't spent a lot of time around him, but what little I have he seems like he'd bite on something like that. I'm just surprised that the pricing for his services jumps so dramatically. He could definitely fill the bottom end a bit better.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

The Phil, tiger and tour package if they can be afforded sound like the best experiences and bang for the buck. Supervised practice sessions and individualized practice plans are a nice to have, even if the practice sessions are groups of students. It’s almost like a free clinic t

Based on the bolded part I wouldn’t spend any money with him.

The Tour Package is certainly the most intriguing option (also the most out of my league option). For where my game is, the Phil package is where I think my dollars would be best spent, but $600 is a lot to stomach at the moment.

I offered a little more detail when replying to @GB13, but basically I've made it a point to keep some separation between us for a while. I'd be willing to try once and see if there's enough water under the bridge to make it work, but any indication that he's still like that and I'm out!

• Like 1

Going back to the original poster I don't know that we've answered his question yet probably because we can't.  We would each of us know what the cost of lessons are in our own areas.  You should be able to make a few calls  to poll local places and see what is being charged.  It sounded like you had success with the guy/gal that you were working with so I would stick with them unless they are unaffordable - I'd find it hard to believe that someone at a local muni was much above $50 even in SoCal.  So I would guess that's affordable.

BTW for guys who were thinking that taking lessons at a club is more expensive it actually isn't. That's one of the perks - my guy is $60-$100 for non-members and $40 for members - he bills us at his cheapest package rate.

• Like 1

I'm taking a lesson tonight from a local pro that my wife got me a gift certificate for back at Christmas. He's supposed to be really good but he also charges $180 for an hour lesson, so I'm hoping I will get plenty out of it. I'm also playing Saturday at a really nice course I've never played before, so I won't have much time to work on anything he teaches me tonight. I may have to just stick with my current swing on Saturday and then work on any swing changes after that.