Hoganman1

Calcutta Golf Ball

Has anyone tried this new ball? I saw an ad for a free sleeve. I started the process, but pulled up when they asked for my credit card to pay for shipping. Although it was only $1.00, I'm skeptical of "free offers" that require one to pay for shipping. There are so many scams out there now. I never volunteer my credit card info unless I know the seller.

Anyway the ad has all the usual claims that the Calcutta is the longest, greatest ball ever. While I doubt these claims I am curious. I tried the Snell ball and it was pretty good. Also, I've read great reviews of the Kirkland ball from Costco and the Vice ball. I've been a Pro-V-1 player for years, but I'm always open to change.

• Like 1

Don’t do it. Take it from a sucker who ordered two sleeves. No feedback on the golf balls themselves, but the promo automatically  signs you up for a $49.99 monthly subscription to swingbits. They then charge you $1.99 to cancel. Scam. 

• Like 1

Call your credit card company and report it

• Like 1

I bought the sleeve, you get emailed with an account. you log in and cancel the subscription, the balls look very nice and have a good feel. I haven't played with them yet. hoping to this weekend.  But it isn't a scam

• Like 1

I should what is the email address.  They got me also with the $49.95 fee. I need to cancel. Went to the bank, they said I needed to call.  They give me a phone number, but it was wrong. 

I thought it  bit odd but thought what the hell so I started the process to sign up the dog (now a few years deceased) to get a sleeve.   Then the $1 shipping fee AND the auto subscriptions popped up...   The bottom line is the dog (still deceased) will not be getting any golf balls as she doesn't have a credit card.

I think that golf ball company is run by a Nigerian prince.

BTW my filter for this stuff is I sign up the dog for most freebie offers and requests for info.   It's worked out well as it keeps us off many lists and it is also a great indicator for future junk mail.   Regularly getting LTC flyers, annuity sales dinner requests and (unsolicited) dating mailers to her on a regular basis.  Oddly no one from the dating service has ever responded to her interests of home cooked dinners, snuggling by the fire and long walks on the beach.

your credit card company should help you take care of it but it may take a while to get the payment back.          

If you ever wondered who falls for this stuff, now you know.    

• Like 1

Extremely unethical operation. I became a sucker last year when they were using MAJOR, not CALCUTTA as the brand of balls. The $1.00 shipping charge is merely to get your credit card number on file to charge you for the monthly videos. The disclaimer about the charging for the videos is buried so deep on one of the order pages, that only the most vigilant folks would ever see it. I sure missed it.....shame on me. However, there was certainly the impression given that they were selling golf balls, not overpriced golf instruction videos......shame on them. My advice is to run, not walk, away from this outfit.

Oh, and the golf balls? They look to me as if someone bought a bulk quantity of the cheapest looking golf balls available and imprinted the brand name with one of those hand held golf ball personalization stamps. They were packaged in what I perceived to be a cheep looking clear plastic sleeve, with absolutely no graphics on the packaging.

There are people in some other forums who have also said that there was at least one other name they were using as the brand for these golf balls.......which was the name of a, then existing, golf equipment company, whose lawyers had to get involved, so the story goes. In my opinion, even if you do end up paying only the $1.00 "shipping charge", you are not getting $1.00 worth of value.

I was given a sleeve and hit one off the first tee before a storm stopped me. I am 59 and losing distance for the most part. The only drive I hit went 289(which is not normal for me anymore) and felt like it. I was shocked. I did make a good swing with good contact so maybe my ProV1 would have gone that far, maybe. However, I hit it with my wedge on the next shot, thought I hit it good and it was about 5 yards shorter than normal. The test will be continued on Saturday.