Golfspy_CG2

2019 Official Forum Member Review-Odyssey Stroke Lab Putter

Forum Member Review - Odyssey Stroke Lab Putters  

168 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a believer in Stroke Lab tech?

With two more stage ones to come what putters do you think they were fit into? There are a ton of options to fit all strokes and what suits the eye. What do you think you would be fit into?75479323-522D-4246-B801-D562F9D61FBF.jpeg.fad05311c6f2017323961f77a7fa9b91.jpeg
I don't know which one I would be properly fit into, but from what I like, it would be the Seven or the Marxman. I've rolled the Seven at the local DSG and really love the way it feels and the distance control.

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

Stage One arrives tomorrow everyone, get hyped 

• Like 5

Nice start guys!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

4 hours ago, yungkory said:

Definitely interested in this test having bagged a Stroke Lab for 2 months!

Which one do you have? 

Just now, MaxEntropy said:

Which one do you have? 

Had a double wide flow. I don't want to share my thoughts and possibly put some biased thoughts into you and your fellow testers' heads, but I'll chime in later once you guys get some rounds in for sure.

• Like 2

Nice job you guys that have posted so far. Love “the pipe” Berg!

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, bens197 said:

Hold up...Is that the sun shining in CNY??

From a week ago yes, lolz

• Like 1

On 6/11/2019 at 7:54 AM, Apolloshowl said:

With two more stage ones to come what putters do you think they were fit into? There are a ton of options to fit all strokes and what suits the eye. What do you think you would be fit into?75479323-522D-4246-B801-D562F9D61FBF.jpeg.fad05311c6f2017323961f77a7fa9b91.jpeg

I do like me a mallet 😍😁

• Like 3

Great stage ones guys but Berg that pipe is one of the strangest looking putters I have seen!!

• Like 2

Great Stage 1's so far everyone! 

One thing I'll be interested in is the adjustment period - will it be quick, will it be a struggle, will gains be evident immediately, will you feel like you need to change your setup/stance/grip etc.? Putters seem to be the most personal of any stick in the bag, so how the new tech vs "old faithful" works for you will be some good reading. 

• Like 2

Waiting on one more Stage 1 but I’m secretly hoping to see either a Tuttle or an R-Ball in play...

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Nunfa0 said:

Great stage ones guys but Berg that pipe is one of the strangest looking putters I have seen!!

So, the Pipe line of putters from Nickent game out as a response to the 2 ball craze of the early 2000's when everyone was experimenting with enhanced alignment in putters. I'm going to touch on this when I do my fitting post because I'm going to compare and contrast the way I picked the Pipe and how I was fit for my Stroke Lab, but you have to remember this was the time of the Craz-e, the Futura and Detour, the TM Monza lines, Never Compromises Voodoo line, the Rife 2 Bar Mallet, Nike's Blue Chip Oz, the MacGregor V-Foils and of course, the 2 Ball.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, russtopherb said:

One thing I'll be interested in is the adjustment period - will it be quick, will it be a struggle, will gains be evident immediately, will you feel like you need to change your setup/stance/grip etc.? Putters seem to be the most personal of any stick in the bag, so how the new tech vs "old faithful" works for you will be some good reading. 

Based on my fitting and performance so far, I don't think I need any adjustments to setup/stance/grip, at least in the short term. I can't really say there has been an adjustment period for me - things felt pretty natural from the word "go". There may be some long term adjustments/tweaks to see if I can squeeze out any more improvement, but that will likely be outside the scope of this test.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, russtopherb said:

Great Stage 1's so far everyone! 

So, this is obviously a question teed up for me to answer more than most.

First, let's address feel. As I showed in the video I posted, sonically I don't hear much of different between the putters, maybe Stroke Lab is a touch softer on proper contact than the Pipe, but it isn't like marshmellow to ball bearing type difference. Also, I kinda custom counterbalanced my Pipe with the Lead Tape on the head, so that's not weird either.

Alignment is a bit different, but it hasn't taken much to adjust to that either. The modified Versa color scheme looks super cool and pleasing on the eye with Stroke Lab, so it helps me set up in good position I think. Also, as a line putter, having that small extended white line really does it for me. It's less obtrusive than the Pipe obviously, but I still feel good about my alignment.

Setup is proving to be a bit different and that deals with eye position more than anything else. Again, I plan on touching on this in the fitting post coming maybe Friday or over the weekend with graphics to illustrate why I thought I was going to get a mallet putter because of how I set-up with my Pipe and the eye adjustment I'm making to lead to better form with the Stroke Lab

Lastly grip has proven to be an early challenge, and it's on stupid stuff. You see, coming from an oversized grip on a face balanced putter, there were times on short putts (3-5 ft) where I just let it work itself down the line and the natural path of it allowed it to happen. With a putter with more toe hang and a smaller grip, I realize that my lazy stroke leads to the face closing down quickly either through natural path or having the smaller grip roll in my hands because of improper grip pressure and pulling these short putts when they should be easy to make. That's not to say I need to go tighter because that blocks my path and leads to a push, just staying a bit more focused and aware of the stroke as it's happening.

• Like 3

Tomorrow will be round 4 with the stroke lab and I'm hopefully going to at least get another 9 in before going to China for a bit to work.

I have to admit the transition has been pretty easy so far. I noticed when practicing in the basement that it is much smoother. Compared to both the Ping and Nike which both have opposite feels the Stroke Lab is on between both. I'm not talking off the face either, simply swing feel. I always felt I liked the feel of a heavy putter as though it would guide itself and be harder to take off track. With a lighter feeling putter it would sway on me. The stroke lab finds a really nice balance between both and so far results have been good. 

The last two rounds have been very solid with only one 3 putt and it was going to be almost no matter what. Had 5 one putts my first real round out with it as the greens were incredible.

Second round was solid as well, no 3 putts but just really really bad off the tee so a lot of scrambling around.  

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Berg Ryman said:

So, the Pipe line of putters from Nickent game out as a response to the 2 ball craze of the early 2000's when everyone was experimenting with enhanced alignment in putters. I'm going to touch on this when I do my fitting post because I'm going to compare and contrast the way I picked the Pipe and how I was fit for my Stroke Lab, but you have to remember this was the time of the Craz-e, the Futura and Detour, the TM Monza lines, Never Compromises Voodoo line, the Rife 2 Bar Mallet, Nike's Blue Chip Oz, the MacGregor V-Foils and of course, the 2 Ball.

Ah now it makes sense and if you look at my sig, I'm rocking the Rife 😁😎

Edited by Nunfa0
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, bens197 said:

Waiting on one more Stage 1 but I’m secretly hoping to see either a Tuttle or an R-Ball in play...

I really like the look of the Tuttle, it takes me back to my Ram Zebra 😁

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Nunfa0 said:

Ah now it makes sense and if you look at my sig, I'm rocking the Rife 😁😎

And putting well with it! May be a bit older but certainly is very trusty for you. 

• Like 1