Golfspy_CG2

2019 Official Forum Member Review-Odyssey Stroke Lab Putter

Forum Member Review - Odyssey Stroke Lab Putters  

166 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a believer in Stroke Lab tech?

As requested by @goaliewales14 here is a 9 total putt, 3 with each putter tee video. 

After about 30 minutes of practice doing this drill it was a very close tie between my gamer (Ping) and stroke lab. Really can't say one was better then the other, but they both did best the Nike. I did feel very confident with both ping and Odyssey even though they are balanced very differently as I've mentioned previously. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Apolloshowl said:

As requested by @goaliewales14 here is a 9 total putt, 3 with each putter tee video. 

After about 30 minutes of practice doing this drill it was a very close tie between my gamer (Ping) and stroke lab. Really can't say one was better then the other, but they both did best the Nike. I did feel very confident with both ping and Odyssey even though they are balanced very differently as I've mentioned previously. 

Very consistent strokes all around!  I was even watching the back swing and between the Ping and the Stroke Lab, I couldn't see any difference at all.  I thought this might highlight the difference since the Stroke Lab is all about "improving golfers strokes." Thank you for doing the drill! 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, goaliewales14 said:

Very consistent strokes all around!  I was even watching the back swing and between the Ping and the Stroke Lab, I couldn't see any difference at all.  I thought this might highlight the difference since the Stroke Lab is all about "improving golfers strokes." Thank you for doing the drill! 

I'm in the process of posting 4 more videos on the channel. 9 putts with stroke lab, ping, Nike and another Nike I had which is not face balanced. Different camera view as well which may give a bit more insight as I did at times feel the stroke lab sway, but it seemed to get results.

• Like 1

My stage 1 is up - I've been traveling the past couple weeks so it's been a little tough to get the time.  I'm playing my first 18 hole round Saturday as well - so I'll have a lot of updates to share!

• Like 5

On 6/12/2019 at 7:08 AM, russtopherb said:

One thing I'll be interested in is the adjustment period - will it be quick, will it be a struggle, will gains be evident immediately, will you feel like you need to change your setup/stance/grip etc.? Putters seem to be the most personal of any stick in the bag, so how the new tech vs "old faithful" works for you will be some good reading. 

Great point!  This is one of the reasons that I feel like a putter is so tough to change out.  Even more so than irons in my opinion.  My putter has the longest tenure of anything else in my bag at 7-8 years.  So far it's been a fairly smooth change except I do notice that the face seems softer with the Odyssey, but alignment, grip, stance, etc... have all been ok.  Weighting is a bit different - still need to play more to have a better description - stay tuned.

• Like 2

Great round of Stage One's by me and the boys in case you haven't seen them. As a tease, hopefully sometime this afternoon my post about my fitting will be going live in this very thread and hopefully we'll all have some discussion about rounds we played this weekend coming to you as well!

• Like 2

Alright, boo me if you want fellow spies. Due to work the fitting post is delayed until Monday. However, as a bonus, it will come complete with thoughts and stats from the first three rounds of play with Ye Olde Stroke Lab.

• Sad 1

I just got back from spending a couple hours at the practice green, mainly focusing on putts of 10 feet and shorter. 

Some trends are starting to develop, but I don't want to spoil it until I get more time on the green. 

I will say early results suggest the Stroke Lab has a fight on its hands. This may change as I get further away, we'll see. 

I'm sure a little bit is due to my comfort level with my Ping. 

• Like 7

June 14th Update

This Sunday I'm off to China to make some curling ice and sadly the stroke lab will not be making the trip. So although I have some material to keep everyone entertained during the lull of play I do have a bit of info after my first 3 rounds. So far I'm impressed. I have had all of 2 three putts so far and last rounds was completely my own stupidity and not the stroke labs. As for round breakdowns those I will save for future, but here is a good showcase of them so far. Feel free to compare to the stage one graph shows the same numbers but from the previous 60 some of rounds. 

pixlr_20190614184302837.jpg

• Like 6

I was playing last night in 30 mph winds to start off with and it got me thinking, is there any differences in heavy wind?  I could tell my "normal putter" stroke was affected by wind.  Is it better/worst/same for the Stroke Lab?

• Like 1

On 6/14/2019 at 9:20 PM, goaliewales14 said:

I was playing last night in 30 mph winds to start off with and it got me thinking, is there any differences in heavy wind?  I could tell my "normal putter" stroke was affected by wind.  Is it better/worst/same for the Stroke Lab?

Haven't played in really windy conditions, but I can say I don't feel it would be effected any more or less then my standard putter. 

• Like 1

Tease for my round report for Monday... I suck at golf

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Well no golf today. It’s been storming all day. Going to try to play Tuesday if I am able.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

Ok, so you’ve been good little spies so let me bring you the long awaited fitting post. First, a big shout out to the newly opened Club Champion in Victor, NY and their guy Adam for the fit on such short notice. Also, even though I didn’t get fit there, a big shout out to Big Oak outside of Rochester as well. If they had the new Odyssey fitting board they would have likely been my first choice, but Jim was very understanding.

Now, let’s start by talking about how I ended up with the Nickent Pipe in my bag in the first place. The year was 2006 and the scene of the crime was the Central New York Golf Center near Bridge St. in Dewitt, NY. I went in that with the plan to pick up some kind of alignment based mallet and came down to three. The two finalists ended up being the Nickent Pipe and The Rife 2 Bar Mallet. I then took the balls on the putting green out to 20 feet, closed my eyes and hit some putts with my mom watching . I made 2 with the Pipe and none with the Rife. Decision made, that’s how I got the pipe and the rest, as they say, was history.

Fast forward to 2019 and driving out on a foggy morning to Victor, NY to get fit for a Stroke Lab Putter. Going out there I was pretty certain I was going to be in a mallet shape and my reason for that has to do with something I know about my eye position in putting. You see, when I’m putting with my Pipe, my eyes aren’t centered over the ball they’re actually drawn down the putter. I’ll drop a picture of the Pipe in here with a spot to show where my eye line normally lines itself up.

Y5JyXQ6l.jpg

Thanks to @Shankster for the Orange Duo Professionals to test

So yeah, my eyes settle away from the ball on my mallet. The reason for this is that I can see the pipe portion of the putter move away over this spot and make sure that it’s on a solid path back. I know it’s a bit weird, but it’s what helps me be certain I’m on the right path. So, looking at where my eyes are and knowing what we know about the line, you can understand why I was expecting to end up with an R Ball, Seven, or maybe even a Tuttle.

I arrive early in the morning and we get SAM Lab set up. It’s a really cool experience for me because I’ve never been on one and if you haven’t here’s how it goes. They take your putter and get some static measurements, using a digital loft and lie machine and a standard ruler for length. Then they attach the apparatus to read the machine on the front of your putter and you hit like 5-8 10 foot putts for a baseline. While I didn’t receive the report, and I should have asked for it for you guys, here’s what I learned

1)      My line up is pretty square with my Pipe, .4 degrees open.

2)      Path: I bring it outside and then bring it inside going forward. The issue with this is when I make I don’t bring it back inside, leading to a wipey push, my normal miss.

3)      Before and after impact: my stroke is always closing, closing .2 degrees before impact and closing .2 degrees after impact, allowing me to get almost perfectly square.

4)      Consistency: both numbers for this score were in the high 80s, so pretty damn good.

So, we put the numbers in and the suggestion of head style comes up, 30-45 degrees of toe hang. I find it a touch weird since I’m been face balanced for so long but I figure, well maybe I’m the person the Slant Neck Mallet was made for. So Adam stars out by giving me a 7S and I hit some putts with it. It feels ok at best, but I still feel like I’m steering a bit on the stroke. Also, and this is gonna sound weird, it feels head light. Obviously you all know I love my lead tape and considering the Stroke Lab is slightly counterbalanced, the head just felt light in the mallet. I think I went 2-5 before Adam decided the seven wasn’t going my way.

Then, he goes and grabs the One and something just feels different. The balance in this is a bit head heavy which is nicer for me as it smooths some things out. I proceed to make the next 6 putts in a row. Adam tells me, I think we have a winner but in my mind I almost don’t want to believe it, so I ask to try one more putter, the Double Wide Slant Neck. Here, I figure is the best of both world, a decent toe hang, blade, but with mallet principles. Admittedly, it’s ok, but just ok, going 5-8 from ten feet. I get the One back in my hand, going 6-8 with the two misses being lip outs and it’s decided, One it is.

Also, weirdly enough the SAM it recommends that I go with a standard sized grip. Deciding not to fight and also feeling as if that’s a bit weird to not consider the Stroke Lab with the grip it was intended to be used it, I do accept this finding and get it with the Standard Pistol Stroke Lab grip.

So, I thank Adam, get the printout of the specs, message them over to MPR and the rest is Testing history. I then spent an interesting late morning early afternoon with my girlfriend (who came out to keep my company) at the Eastman House and grabbed some food in like a city market type place with awesome burgers and woodfire pizzas.

Now, coming later today after I get back from lunch and court, I’ll bring you results from the first 3 rounds of play and they are… interesting to say the least.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

While watching the US open, I found myself in the basement and doing alot of practice on my carpet with my PuttOut trainer.  I'd love the feedback from some of the other testers, but when comparing against my Scotty - the best thing I could come up with is that it feels like a forged iron (Scotty) then hitting a game improvement club (Odyssey).  

It's not a bad sensation, i just do not get nearly as much feedback from the Odyssey as I do with my Scotty Cameron.  I get that buttery soft feel with the SC that doesn't come through with the Odyssey. Maybe it's as simple as the Odyssey has an insert and the SC does not, but I wanted to point it out for anyone who may be coming from a 100% milled putter.

Keep in mind that my first 9 holes with the Odyssey resulted in just 12 putts, so it may not matter - just something to mention.

@Berg Ryman @Apolloshowl @MaxEntropy

Edited by juspoole
  • Like 5

14 minutes ago, juspoole said:

While watching the US open, I found myself in the basement and doing alot of practice on my carpet with my PuttOut trainer.  I'd love the feedback from some of the other testers, but when comparing against my Scotty - the best thing I could come up with is that it feels like a forged iron (Scotty) then hitting a game improvement club (Odyssey).  

It's not a bad sensation, i just do not get nearly as much feedback from the Odyssey as I do with my Scotty Cameron.  I get that buttery soft feel with the SC that doesn't come through with the Odyssey. Maybe it's as simple as the Odyssey has an insert and the SC does not, but I wanted to point it out for anyone who may be coming from a 100% milled putter.

I have played soft-faced putters since 2000-ish, and the weights and balance points between the Odyssey and Ping are pretty similar, so I haven't noticed too much difference in the feel between the two.

I am curious about total weight, though. I need to remember to put them on a scale.

34 minutes ago, juspoole said:

Admittedly, as someone who doesn't really care that much about feel, my opinion really should hold no weight in this, especially since every putter I've played with has an insert. What I will say is that it feels a bit more fluffy on good center contact, maybe because of those hinges? All I really care about is does it get the ball in the hole or on the line I wanted to start it on with increasingly regularity. A you'll see with my next post, that answer is... usually.

• Like 1

Alright I've played three rounds with the Stroke Lab One at this time, all with my current skins game in the morning. Here's how it's performed

Round 1: Ball striking is a disaster on the front side. I play it in Bogey golf (44). There are 16 total puts, 7 2 putts and 2 1 putts. Best putt was a lengthy bogey save on the #1 handicap par 5 from 8 feet. Rolled it really nice. Back side, Stroke Lab and my ball striking come alive. 13 total putts, 4 2 putts, 5 one putts including one putting four of the first five greens. Stand on 15 -2 on the side, come home +3 from there due to fatigue and missing greens. Lip out a third birdie on the back on 18 to post 44-38 for a round of 82.

Round 2: Again, swing is a bit out of sorts early, but the putter is not there to save me. Took a total of 32 putts, 17/15 split with no three putts on my way to a 84. Weird part of the round, hit 6 putts that either stop on the lip or lip out entirely, including a putt that broken 15 feet on 4 and a similar putt on 13. I understand these are growing pains, but it doesn't feel great knowing I left so many out there. Lag putting continues to be solid with most finishing within easy tap in range, hence the majority of two putts because I'm not hitting wedges and short irons on target

Round 3: The round teased on Saturday, where I learned I suck at golf in a big way. Failure to break 90 for the first time in a single round in nearly 3 years, shooting the number on the nose. 39 putts.

39 PUTTS

4 three putts, 13 two putts, 1 one putt. Speed leaves me, hitting everything too hard, alignment is awful, I start making these stupid wipey strokes opening the face and pushing everything. Stroke is all out of sorts and I can't figure it out. The only 1 putt comes after flopping a wedge to a foot and it's conceded. Wasted money playing that round of golf and just frustrated at myself for playing so poorly. Really made me want to switch back to the Pipe, but I promised myself one month Stroke Lab only to get a good feel.

I'm hoping to find some time to practice this week as I clearly need it. What do I think the problems are?

1) Not trusting my lines yet: Because the aiming component is a bit more understated, I try to save what I consider to be bad alignment with a weird stroke path

2) Inconsistent stroke path: I've been a nearly SBST putter forever, moving to something with rotation is a change and it's taking time to get comfortable, especially under pressure

3) Eye position: I'm dropping my eyes back in a similar say to where there were with the Pipe, this is proving awful with the Stroke Lab as the weighting and toe hang are totally different

I'll keep you all posted, maybe going out again on Saturday morning, might be heading to Rochester for the International Jazz Fest that afternoon so may save some cash.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, juspoole said:

Keep in mind that my first 9 holes with the Odyssey resulted in just 12 putts, so it may not matter - just something to mention.

I've played all sorts of putters both with and without inserts and I had to admit I like the stroke lab feel. It's not that buttery soft blade like feel, but it has for a very responsive feel and I know where I've hit and what I've done when I make contact. Large part of that is I tried in practice hitting all over the have and figuring out what the feel is all over. It isn't the same feel as a milled putter, but it's also not meant to be. It does feel way better then the older micro hinge as well. That being said I hated my ping Tyne with it's harder loud sound, but came to love it after time. I'm really more interested in how the shaft makes a difference in my game.

• Like 2

Update after league play last night:

I had an OK round from a putting perspective. I averaged 2 putts per hole, which was a bit disappointing after the way I have been putting this year, but my chipping was crap. I wasn't catching the ball clean consistently so the bite/lack of bite was not predictable, leaving me too many 10-20 footers for up-and-down.

The jury is still out on short to medium range putts for the Stroke Lab - I assume some of this is just getting used to the slight difference in specs, but I need more time on the practice green. So far, I am very happy with the lag putting with this putter - I had 2 putts in the 50 foot range last night that ended up in easy kick-in range. Is this a face effect, shaft effect, or both? 

• Like 3