Golfspy_CG2

2019 Official Forum Member Review-Odyssey Stroke Lab Putter

Forum Member Review - Odyssey Stroke Lab Putters  

168 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a believer in Stroke Lab tech?

I have something similar going on with mine - I have noticed I'm pushing many more putts than normal.  I have a slight in to down the line stroke with a slight arc on the through swing, but don't feel like I get it around as well as my current putter

I wonder if it is a weight issue. I noticed you put ted well when you went back to your Scotty and it could be you can feel the club head better with it vs the counter-balancing of the Stroke Lab. The two issues I had were the counter-balancing and the insert - one impacted line and both impacted speed. I'm interested to hear your thoughts as to why you put ted better with the Scotty. I'm sure familiarity played a part but "feel" is so important in putting and the insert and weighting will "feel" quite different when compared to your gamer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, golfertrb said:

Do you have a particular miss with the Stroke Lab?

In general, it's long and left or short and right. Since I've never really seen that trend with my Ping, it makes me wonder if I'm making some kind of weird subconscious change. 

One thing I'm strongly considering once stage 2 is up is giving the claw grip another go (the last time I tried it I had great control of line, but distance control sucked). The fitter suggested I should try at least practicing with it to give me the feel of less right hand through the stroke. 

In general, it's long and left or short and right. Since I've never really seen that trend with my Ping, it makes me wonder if I'm making some kind of weird subconscious change. 

One thing I'm strongly considering once stage 2 is up is giving the claw grip another go (the last time I tried it I had great control of line, but distance control sucked). The fitter suggested I should try at least practicing with it to give me the feel of less right hand through the stroke. 

I bet you are making some subconscious stroke compensation. It sounds like you are either holding off (short and right) or when you are actually putting a stroke on it it's long and left. Which always brings in doubt when you are missing both ways. I am interested in how the claw works for you since that is designed to eliminate the compensations our hands often make with the putter. Do you think you will stick it out with the Stroke Lab?

• Like 1

A few days delayed, but here is a round update. 

Long and short of it was things have been turning around and I have noticed a significant different is putting with the stroke lab when on slower greens compared to faster greens.

Here are a few screen shots from the last two rounds. Screenshot_20190713-173744.thumb.png.c28a8e23185d08cf004574d30e5c2946.pngScreenshot_20190713-173551.thumb.png.e849c9a23649958b11ac3b690f4d11e3.png

Both rounds were okay, not amazing and my tee shots leave a lot to be desired which I would mark as the main cause for scoring woes. That's 3 more new courses for the season which brings me to 13 rounds at 12 different courses! 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, golfertrb said:

I bet you are making some subconscious stroke compensation. It sounds like you are either holding off (short and right) or when you are actually putting a stroke on it it's long and left. Which always brings in doubt when you are missing both ways. I am interested in how the claw works for you since that is designed to eliminate the compensations our hands often make with the putter. Do you think you will stick it out with the Stroke Lab?

That makes sense. I don't want to make a dramatic change on grip while I'm still testing, so once I'm done with my data collection, I'll play around with the claw and report back. I also think I need to do the yard stick drill a bunch, which is one thing I haven't done with this putter. 

As far as whether I'll stick with the Stroke Lab, I'm not sure yet. I like the feel and lag putting is much better. 

• Like 2

Overslept this morning, failed you all 

So a few weeks left in this testing and review thread, I figure I'd let all of you in on my future testing protocols with the Stroke Lab going forward.

I'm hoping to put together at least 3 more Stroke Lab Only rounds, bringing my total to seven 18 hole rounds and two 9 hole excursions. They will be weekend rounds, probably not on my home course as I'm looking for cheap deals at local places and my Saturdays are well booked with the girlfriend for the next three weeks, car show, city wide festival and likely final testing round with her on camera and playing along side.

I will be tracking every putt taken, none will be conceded to test my mettle. At the end of this, I think I'll be pretty well informed as to where The One and I stand. I hope y'all enjoy the next few weeks as we wind this down and I wish the best of golf to my fellow Labbies @juspoole @MaxEntropy and @Apolloshowl, roll them well boys. 

• Like 5

Ping is in the bag for league tonight to help determine if I was riding a hot streak early in the year or if there is something Stroke Lab-related that I need to overcome. I'll report back this evening. 

OK, so it appears the issue is me, not the putter. I didn't putt terribly, but missed on a couple decent opportunities - both I hit on my intended line, but played too much break. No three putts and one 1 putt. 

• Like 1

Conditions were really tough out there....... (tiger voice).  Played over the weekend and trying to finalize my comparisons.  Used my Scotty for a full 18 and then I will use the stroke lab for the next round and then complete my stage 2.  Game was not on by any means, but managed to squeak out a 79 in a heat advisory and some gusting winds.  Did not have many good looks at birdie as I only hit 6 greens for the day and 7 fairways.  However, I did capitalize on many and managed 3 birdies in those 6 chances.  Overall I had 27 putts, mostly due to good chipping, but I was still able to make a lot of 5-6 footers and two 15 footers for par that kept me in the round.  Only one putt got away from me - it was a 35 footer that was much more down hill than I initially thought and knocked it about 8 feet past and missed the come back. 

• Like 2

I have all my data and stage 2 will drop some time this week, so I played around a bit in league tonight. When I had my fitting, the fitter asked if I had ever tried the claw grip. He suggested I at least practice with it to get the feel of less right hand in my stroke. When I did use the claw, I seemed to start the ball on line better, but I struggled with distance control. I figured I'd try it again since my distance control has been mostly spot on with the Stroke Lab. It worked out pretty well and I ended up with 15 putts and made a couple in the 8-10 foot range that I have been missing recently. I stuck with a traditional grip for lag putts. I think going forward I will keep using the claw in the range that we have a better chance/expectation to make them. 

• Like 3

My Stage 2 is up....

Questions, comments, and major concerns are welcome, as always!

• Like 2

My Stage 2 is up....
Questions, comments, and major concerns are welcome, as always!

Great stuff Max! I've enjoyed following this thread and I'll be interested in seeing how things work out going forward.

• Like 1

Go read everyone else's Stage 2 guys, mine is coming shortly, I promise.

• Like 1

I know I just finished up stage 2 but played in a fun scramble last night 2 v 2 and it just have been offended I didn't give it higher because I was dropping putts all evening. Still left a couple shorter, but under pressure every putt went in! 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Apolloshowl said:

I know I just finished up stage 2 but played in a fun scramble last night 2 v 2 and it just have been offended I didn't give it higher because I was dropping putts all evening. Still left a couple shorter, but under pressure every putt went in! 

Obviously you have upset it too much, bring it to NZ and I will dispose of it for you...

41 minutes ago, Nunfa0 said:

Obviously you have upset it too much, bring it to NZ and I will dispose of it for you...

It will definitely be joining me! Currently debating the section of the set. 

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Daily Deals

• Sponsors

• Our Sponsors

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Eric Trautman

• By FromRightToLeft
      Hello all! Thought I would chime in on this putter since I've owned it for a few months now.

I had been using a Ping Ketch mallet putter since the beginning of the year. (I am relearning the game left handed this year due to a back issue and decided to do so with the putter as well) I had been putting fairly well with it but found it a bit hard to line up and I didn't love it, like all putters I have owned. I saw the testing and reviews on this putter and decided to buy it online sight unseen.

I tend to like a longer putter and got it in the 35” model.

(Aside: A member of the forum let me know that it could be bought here in Canada on golfworks.ca as we don't have Dick's here, so thank you whoever you were. It was $130 Canadian. It arrived super well packed, maybe better than any other golf club I've ever gotten in the mail. There were two small scratches on the putter shaft. I decided to email golfworks and see what they had to say about it. The service was incredible and the best I've ever had online. They got back to me within an hour with an apology and said they would ship out a new one that day and they had a shipping label for me to return mine with. For me the scratch's weren't a big deal and I offered them to refund me $15-20 and I'd keep it. They did me even better and gave me their cost on it and refunded the difference! Unreal service. I will buy all my grips etc. from them going forward.)

Ok, back to the review!

The putter fit my eye immediately. I have only ever had one other golf club where I just knew I was going to hit it well and that I'd love it at first sight. It was a Cobra knockoff driver I won in the 90's in a closest to the pin contest. This putter was the same way. I just knew I was going to love it and play well with it. I have played ten rounds so far and only six three putts. My first round with it I swooped and won three skins with a twenty foot putt and did it again later in the round with a thirty five foot putt for three more skins (The guys weren't mocking me anymore for having a Tommy Armour putter after that haha)! I do not normally sink many long putts. My longest previous this year wouldn't have been any longer than fifteen feet.

It is really well balanced, the pistol grip is actually very comfortable (I may replace it with something different down the road, we'll see) and I think it looks good. The head cover I can't say the same for, it's pretty ugly and doesn't fit on that well. That's a fairly minor issue, especially considering the price and performance of this putter. 
      On long putts I can easily line it up and it's no different on the short ones. The feel is just right for me, not too firm and not too soft, so they got the insert just right.  I just have so much confidence with this thing that I can't say enough about it. I would have paid five times as much if I knew it was going to make this kind of difference in my game. My putting stats show that I've dropped almost four strokes off my rounds. I was averaging thirty six PPR and now it's down to thirty two I took no lessons and used no training aids. It was all the putter. If someone would have told me a putter would shave three to four strokes off my game I would have laughed at you! 

Bottom line is I love this putter. What a value the guys at Dicks have come up with....they made a world class putter for the $100 range. Thank you MY GOLF SPY, without this site I would never have given this a chance. You saved me spending $400+ on an Evenroll, so thank you guys for that.

Looks – 7/10
      Feel – 9/10
      Alignment – 10/10
      Value – 11/10

Overall – 9/10 – I highly, highly recommend this putter.

• By Golfspy_CG2
      PRESS RELEASE
      PING introduces next generation
      of custom-fit women’s equipment

PHOENIX (July 1, 2019): Advancements in technology, lighter overall club weight, expanded fitting options and premium materials combine to make the new G Le2 family PING’s highest performing women’s clubs to date, the company announced today. The complete line of clubs is available for pre-order at authorized PING golf shops around the world beginning today.

“The G Le2 represents our continued commitment to providing women golfers of every skill level with premium, high-performance equipment optimized to their swing speeds,” said Stacey Pauwels, PING Executive Vice President and the granddaughter of PING founders Karsten and Louise Solheim, whose role includes overseeing the brand’s women’s initiatives.”

“To achieve one of our performance goals of improving the feel of the club throughout the entire swing, we focused on making the clubs lighter overall,” Pauwels added.  “We integrated our extensive knowledge of materials and manufacturing processes with our proven design technologies to deliver measurable improvements throughout the set. At the same time, we wanted to present the new clubs in a visually appealing and confidence-inspiring way. We’re extremely excited about the results and look forward to bringing the G Le2 family to women golfers around the world.”

Custom fit and custom built
      Along with ensuring measurable performance improvements throughout the G Le2 family, PING’s engineering team placed added importance on expanding the fitting options to help women find the ideal set to match their games.

“Having equipment that is custom fitted to their games allows women to see improvement from every club in their bag,” said Pauwels. “The G Le2 family really emphasizes that need through loft, lie and length adjustability along with the shaft weight, flex and grip offerings. Once we know those specifications, finding the best combination of fairway woods, hybrids, irons and wedges during a fitting is the next step in the process.”

“Because we custom build every club, we want women to know we’ll make them a set that best fits their game,” she said. “The key is determining the ideal set makeup that provides proper distance gaps between each club. That may be a full set or maybe a smaller set of a few metal woods, hybrids, irons, a wedge and a putter. Once we have all their fitting information, we can custom build the clubs to their precise specifications for maximum performance.”
      Lighter, faster, more forgiving driver

The next generation of golf’s highest-performing women’s driver maximizes forgiveness and distance through a higher MOI, faster face and lighter overall weight. Its titanium head features a rounder, more aerodynamic shape to promote faster clubhead speeds. A thin, forged T9S+ face is optimized for the intended swing speed to increase flexing for more ball velocity and improved launch conditions. Internal heel-biased weighting helps ensure straighter ball flights and softer turbulators help frame the ball at address. Trajectory Tuning 2.0 in the G Le2 driver utilizes a new lightweight, aerodynamic hosel sleeve that provides eight positions for influencing ball flight through loft (±1.5°) adjustments.

Faster faces, higher-launching, adjustable fairway woods

A thinner, faster maraging steel C300 face, a significantly higher MOI and an 8-lobe adjustable hosel distinguish the G Le2 fairway wood from its predecessor. The added ball speed from the face technology increases distance and combines with the shallower face to launch the ball higher with greater forgiveness. An overall lighter club weight makes swinging the club easier with more clubhead speed for longer and straighter results. Internal weighting promotes right-to-left shot correction to keep shots on target. Available in 3, 5, 7 and 9 woods.

Lighter, longer and straighter irons

Precise and forgiving with a lighter overall club weight, G Le2 irons utilize COR-Eye Technology with a deep top-rail undercut to increase face flexing for more ball speed and higher max height. A tungsten toe weight helps increase MOI by 10% for greater forgiveness and a co-molded cavity badge ensures a pleasing feel and sound. Available in 6-9 iron, PW, UW, SW.

Faster face, higher-launching hybrids with more fitting choices

A thinner, hotter Carpenter 455 face and lighter club weight generate faster ball speeds while a lower, deeper CG helps increase the MOI to launch the ball high with greater forgiveness. The addition of a 34⁰ 7 hybrid expands the fitting options for women who prefer the technology of a hybrid in place of an iron. Softer crown turbulators help capture the ball at address and aid in alignment. Available in 4, 5, 6 and 7 hybrids.

Adjustable putters with feel and forgiveness

Enhanced feel and forgiveness and a new adjustable-length shaft improve performance and fitting opportunities in the three new G Le2 putters (Anser, Shea and Echo). A dual-durometer face insert -- engineered with TR face technology -- provides a soft front layer for precision and improved impact feel and a firmer second layer for control to improve consistency on putts of every distance. The easy-to-use adjustable shaft allows self-fitting for length between 31" and 35". A new, softer PP59 midsize grip improves feel and comfort.

Lighter shafts, softer grips
      PING’s proprietary ULT240 Lite and Ultra Lite premium graphite shafts are standard throughout the G Le2 family and help bring down overall club weight while helping generate more clubhead speed and higher launch. The super-soft Golf Pride Tour Velvet Garnet 360 grip is available in three sizes (Blue -1/16", Red -1/32", Aqua -1/64").

Specifications:
      G Le2 Driver
      Multi-material construction: Cast Ti 8-1-1 body, forged T9S+ face, lightweight aluminum/thermoplastic adjustable hosel
      Loft option: 11.5⁰ (adjustable +- 1.5⁰)
      Head weight: 190g
      Head volume: 460 cc
      Std. length: 44 ¾"
      Std. lie angle: 58.5⁰
      Std. Swingweight: C2
      Stock grip: Golf Pride Tour Velvet Garnet 360 in three sizes (Blue -1/16", Red -1/32", Aqua -1/64")
      Shaft options: PING ULT240D (Lite and Ultra Lite flexes)
      U.S. MSRP: $435
      G Le2 Fairway Woods
      Multi-material construction: 17-4 stainless steel body, C300 maraging steel face, lightweight aluminum/thermoplastic adjustable hosel
      Lofts (adjustable up to +-1.5⁰ 3W (19⁰), 5W (22⁰), 7W (26⁰), 9W (30⁰)
      Std. lengths: 3W (42 ½"), 5W (42"), 7W (41 ½"), 9W (41")
      Std. Swingweight: C1
      Stock grip: Golf Pride Tour Velvet Garnet 360 in three sizes (Blue -1/16", Red -1/32", Aqua -1/64")
      Shaft options: PING ULT240F (Lite and Ultra Lite flexes)
      U.S. MSRP: $270 per club
      G Le2 Irons
      Multi-material construction: 17-4 stainless steel head, tungsten toe weight, aluminum/thermoplastic composite badge, HydroPearl 2.0 finish
      Available 6-9, PW, UW, SW, in 10 color codes (lie angle). Black color code is standard.
      Std. length/loft: 6i (37.13"/27⁰), 7i (36.5"/30.5⁰), 8i (36"/35⁰), 9i (35.5"/40⁰), PW (35"/45⁰), UW (35"/52⁰), SW (34.5"/58⁰),
      Std. Swingweight: 6i (C1), 7i (C2), 8i (C2), 9i (C2.5), PW (C4), UW (C5), SW (C6),
      Shaft options: PING ULT240i (Lite and Ultra Lite flexes)
      U.S. MSRP: $137.50 per iron
      G Le2 Hybrids
      Multi-material construction: 17-4 stainless steel head, CarTech Custom 455 steel face
      Lofts: 4H (22⁰), 5H (26⁰), 6H (30⁰), 7H (34⁰)
      Std. lengths: 4H (39"), 5H (38 1/2"), 6H (38"), 7H (37 ½")
      Std. Swingweight: C0
      Shaft options: PING ULT240H (Lite and Ultra Lite flexes)
      U.S. MSRP: $200 per hybrid
      G Le2 Putters
      Anser
      Putter Type: Blade
      Materials: 17-4 stainless steel body, dual-durometer PEBAX insert
      Finish: Champagne nickel plating
      Adjustable-Length Shaft: 31" to 35" range (std: 33")
      Head Weight: 345g
      Stroke Type: Slight Arc
      U.S. MSRP: $215
      Shea
      Putter Type: Mid Mallet
      Materials: 17-4 stainless steel body, dual-durometer PEBAX insert
      Finish: Champagne nickel plating
      Head Weight: 350g
      Stroke Type: Strong Arc
      U.S. MSRP: $215
      Echo
      Putter Type: Mallet
      Materials: Machined 6061 aluminum body, stainless steel soleplate, dual-durometer PEBAX insert
      Finish: Magenta-color anodized body, champagne nickel soleplate
      Head Weight: 360g
      Stroke Type: Slight arc or Straight
      U.S. MSRP: $270

###

• By Golfspy_CG2
      Follow along as four members of our forum will be putting the Tommy Armour TA3 Impact Putter to the test on the course and putting green.  This is a My Golf Spy Most Wanted winner, so see if it performs as well for them as it did the Most Wanted testers and how it might work for your game.

The Four Testers Are:
      @tchat07                           Stage 1                         Stage 2
      @skrupa15                         Stage 1                         Stage 2
      @Txmason123                   Stage 1                          Stage 2
      @HeathS16                         Stage 1                         Stage 2
      @jayjay0808                         Stage 1           Stage 2
    • By Green Sheep Productions
      Been having fun playing around with a design your own putter applet at Lajosi Golf Australia. 
      As a result, been trying to fine a summary of each face mill type... What does deeper milling mean, the concentric waves vs straight mill etc. 

Any guides out there? 
  • Recent Topics

• Latest from the Blog

• Happy Birthday Today!