Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

Wilson C300 Forged Gun Metal Irons - pix & impressions

GolfSpy Barbajo

Hope you guys had the chance to read yesterday's blog on Wilson's new C300 Forged Gun Metal irons. The C300 Forged irons are in their second year, and Wilson - following industry trends - is jazzing them up a bit with a limited edition finish. 

It's an interesting look - not midnight black like some of the others - and indoor pix make the irons look very different from outdoor pix, but to my eye anyway, they look great. 

And to show how a different shaft can make a difference - I tried a set last year with Nippon Modus 120's and could never really get the feel, too harsh and could never really get comfy with them. Maybe it's age, but the stock KBS Tour 105's worked much better right out of the shoot - from the first PW on the practice range right through to my last GW approach on 18, I really enjoyed hitting these. Ball flight is still higher than I'd like, and distance was really not a ton different from my Srixon/C Taper combo, but much easier to hit and at almost 59 years old, I did feel better coming down 18. Does 20 grams per club make that much difference?

The MGS Players Distance Most Wanted comes out Monday - and the C300 Forged is in the mix. They finished 4th overall last year (not the longest, but accuracy was top notch) and it'll be interesting to see how the same iron fares in its 2nd year. Based on one round - which really isn't enough to fully judge but what the hell - I can see these staying in the bag for a while - at least until I get bored. 

Enjoy the pix and fire away with questions...

Wilson C 300 Forged Gun Metal 2.jpg

Wilson C 300 Forged Gun Metal 6.jpg

Wilson C300 Forged Gun Metal - 4.jpg

Wilson C300 forged gun Metal - feature.jpg

Wilson C300 Forged Gun Metal -13.jpg

Wilson_C300_Forged_Gun_Metal_-14.jpg

Wilson C300 Forged gun Metal 1.jpg

Wilson C300 Forged Gun Metal 5.jpg

Wilson C300 Forged Gun Metal 7.jpg

Wilson C300 Forged gun Metal 8.jpg

Wilson C300 Forged gun Metal 9.jpg

Wilson C300 Forged Gun Metal -16.jpg

Wilson C300 Forged Gun Metal -17.jpg

Wilson C300 Forged Gun Metal -18.jpg

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Thanks for sharing. I did read the article and if I recall Wilson said the gunmetal finish will wear over time. Do you know if they will have more of a chrome look to them after wear? Also you were rocking the D7s for awhile. Which of these two sets do you prefer? I really enjoy my Launchers but could use more accuracy from 7-GW and these may be the ticket if gapping would work.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

2 minutes ago, Wedgie said:

Thanks for sharing. I did read the article and if I recall Wilson said the gunmetal finish will wear over time. Do you know if they will have more of a chrome look to them after wear? Also you were rocking the D7s for awhile. Which of these two sets do you prefer? I really enjoy my Launchers but could use more accuracy from 7-GW and these may be the ticket if gapping would work.

Right now I'd say I prefer the C300 Forged - only have a couple of round in with the D7's early in the year when the game was still off, so I can't give them a fair evaluation. But if you made me choose I'd go C300 Forged. I'd think a D7/C300 Forged combo set might be interesting, or even a C300 Forged/V6 combo set. 

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

These look sweet! Wilson has really brought their A game these last few years

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Crap, I just wrote a big long email and it got lost. Lucky for you I’ll paraphrase. Do buy into the Matlby head rating system?

IMG_0103.JPG

Wilson always seems really low even the D7s are considered “conventional”. I gamed the Ci7 irons for awhile and thought they were the most accurate irons I have ever owned. Problem was I couldn’t hit anything past the 8. Do you think these provide more foreignness than prior models?

Wedgie

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

32 minutes ago, Wedgie said:

Crap, I just wrote a big long email and it got lost. Lucky for you I’ll paraphrase. Do buy into the Matlby head rating system?

IMG_0103.JPG

Wilson always seems really low even the D7s are considered “conventional”. I gamed the Ci7 irons for awhile and thought they were the most accurate irons I have ever owned. Problem was I couldn’t hit anything past the 8. Do you think these provide more foreignness than prior models?

Don't really know much about how Maltby comes up with their ratings, but it all seems reasonable. Like our Most Wanted rankings, it serves as a good starting point when gathering info when searching for new irons. 

As far as the C300 Forged go, the most similar iron I can think of is the Srixon Z-585. In terms of forgiveness they're very similar, and in terms of overall head size and sole width, they're damn near identical. 

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Is the whole head forged and then they cut those slots out?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

2 hours ago, Wedgie said:

IMG_0103.JPG

The Wilsons score low relatively speaking because the VCOG (vertical center of gravity) is higher than the equator of the golf ball (which sits at .840).  You had better get down and through that iron to get the sweet spot on the ball at impact.  I ignore the overall MPF but pay careful attention to several of the measurements that pertain most closely to my swing.  As a picker (with primary miss being a little thin), I do much better with a club that has a lower VCOG.

The Wilsons score low relatively speaking because the VCOG (vertical center of gravity) is higher than the equator of the golf ball (which sits at .840).  You had better get down and through that iron to get the sweet spot on the ball at impact.  I ignore the overall MPF but pay careful attention to several of the measurements that pertain most closely to my swing.  As a picker (with primary miss being a little thin), I do much better with a club that has a lower VCOG.

Thanks for the explanation. I play my best when I’m sweeping so maybe Wilson isn’t a good fit after all.

Wedgie

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

Thanks for the explanation. I play my best when I’m sweeping so maybe Wilson isn’t a good fit after all.

We had an "Official Tester " Posts last May for the 300's seems to me that half were forged - you may get some more info there..

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Wilson has really made some solid irons over the past few years!  It's sad that people have put the in a category of "cheaper equipment."  I absolutely loved the C200's when I had a chance to hit them.  I am starting to look for some new irons and these are definitely top on my list, especially with that finish!

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST Max
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM
3 Utility Iron: Srixon U85
4i – 5i: Taylormade P790
6i – AW: Taylormade P770
SW: Taylormade MG3 TW Grind
LW: Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Low Bounce
Putter: PXG Battle Ready One & Done

Love the “black chrome” look, had a drum set with all the hardware and rims like that. Looked killer

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

These are some sweet looking irons.....

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Me also - I gamed the C100 and then the C200 for a short while until a fitter pointed this out to me. Too bad -I’d love to game Wilson and these clubs look beautiful but they and my swing are not sympatico.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

4 hours ago, revkev said:

Me also - I gamed the C100 and then the C200 for a short while until a fitter pointed this out to me. Too bad -I’d love to game Wilson and these clubs look beautiful but they and my swing are not sympatico.

I never knew this about Wilson irons, but I have no problem with getting down & taking a divot and I'm on my 5th set of W/S irons. No wonder I get along with them (the D line in particular).

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

13 hours ago, russtopherb said:

I never knew this about Wilson irons, but I have no problem with getting down & taking a divot and I'm on my 5th set of W/S irons. No wonder I get along with them (the D line in particular).

The fitter put me into D-7's with Recoils this past May.  - big gain in accuracy. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

There’s no substitute for a good fitter who isn’t afraid to put player A in brand x because he knows the characteristics and that OEM squared with that player’s swing type and then when Player B arrives he’s on to a different brand because those will tend to fit that guy.

Ironically I played better with the C100’s than I did the 200’s. I had an interesting shaft in the C100’s which may have accounted for that. Loved that shaft - it wasn’t available in the C200.

I preferred the C200’s look but in retrospect the C100 was a better club for me.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD