Tomkgolf

What flex is your shaft?

Posted (edited)

I was previously playing with a taylormade R15 driver 10.5° for which I was hitting terrible 90% of the time(hooks, slices and short) . This was before I realised what shaft flex it was so when I checked the shaft I realised it was a L flex. I was able to trade it in for a stiff flex Titleist 915 D2 driver and this sorted my problems out. What flex shaft do you use? Do other shafts mess your tee shots up? Let me know 🙂

Edited by Tomkgolf
  • Like 2

I have mostly S flex shafts but I do play a R in my fairway wood.  I have a pretty smooth swing and am not to aggressive in transition so both work well for me.  

• Like 3

My SS is on the border of S and X, but I play S. 

• Like 3

Irons have R flex KBS Tour graphite shafts.  FW have R flex (stock shafts).  Driver has a stiff flex from Paderson.

Note that there is no standard on shaft flex, so it's difficult to sometimes compare just the flex from one brand to another.  Also, there are other shaft characteristics within each range of shaft flex that will change the characteristics of your ball flight.  

• Like 5

I really don't know the flex of my clubs. My driver has a Fujikura Speeder-57 with an S label. Doesn't mean anything. Is it Stiff or Regular? Again... who knows. What I do know is that it plays well with my swing and the EXS head that's attached to it.

My irons are Aerotech SteelFiber i-80. They are labeled R.

• Like 3

@PlaidJacket the flexes are extra stiff (X), stiff (S), regular (R), senior (A) and ladies (L) as far as I know but if you're hitting it well does it really matter? 

• Like 1

@CarlH I agree with that. It's the same as a driver or iron head, they are all different but are they possibly overlooked as not being important 

Same here
  • Like 2

The thing to remember with flex designations is just because it states L,A,R,S,X doesn’t always mean anything. Especially with stock shafts. 1 shaft may be labeled R but may cpm similarly to a shaft labeled S.

More golfers would benefit from leaving their ego out of the equation when it comes to flex. I am a firm believer in playing a shaft that feels right to YOU and helps you put a good swing on it. I use loft to adjust spin and launch.

I have played shafts from regular to x stiff and even hit my fathers senior flex. Results were basically the same. My same crappy swing produced the same crappy results.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 6

1 hour ago, blackngold_blood said:

The thing to remember with flex designations is just because it states L,A,R,S,X doesn’t always mean anything. Especially with stock shafts. 1 shaft may be labeled R but may cpm similarly to a shaft labeled S.

More golfers would benefit from leaving their ego out of the equation when it comes to flex. I am a firm believer in playing a shaft that feels right to YOU and helps you put a good swing on it. I use loft to adjust spin and launch.

I have played shafts from regular to x stiff and even hit my fathers senior flex. Results were basically the same. My same crappy swing produced the same crappy results.

Well said 👍

I was playing A senior flex. This week I was fitted and put me into a R regular flex and a heavier shaft. It seems to work.
I believe you have to try your club of choice with the different shafts available to get the right combination.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

On the shaft labels I play x in my driver, three wood and hybrid with an s in my irons. According to CPMs I am heavy x in the driver and three wood, mid x in the hybrid and x in all my irons and wedges. Labels don’t tell the entire story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

On the shaft labels I play x in my driver, three wood and hybrid with an s in my irons. According to CPMs I am heavy x in the driver and three wood, mid x in the hybrid and x in all my irons and wedges. Labels don’t tell the entire story.

Agree.

• Like 1

Wait, this is the internet, doesn't everyone play XX flex? 

😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Wait, this is the internet, doesn't everyone play XX flex? 

I do in the driver :)

• Like 2

8 hours ago, GB13 said:

I’m exactly the same

• Like 2

I currently use a proforce V2 7F5 extra-stiff shaft. The correct shaft makes a HUGE difference in my game. If was using that L shaft that you had, id easily loose 30-40 yards short on my drives.

• Like 2

I'm a "tweener" Driver SS is low to mid 90's (mostly low), but a stiff flex usually fits me better and that is based mostly on feel. In fact, all my shafts are now of the stiff variety. I started with R-flex with everything and had awful results. After being fitted to a stiff shaft for my first ever driver fitting last year, I have since upgraded all equipment to stiff with very positive results across the board. Are they perfect? No. But they "feel" right and I am comfortable with them all. I can also certainly tell the difference between R & S and R for me just feels like a noodle. I believe for me it has a lot to do with my semi-violent transition...

My 2-cents.

• Like 3

I'm in stiff everything except my 3 wood which still says stiff but it has been tipped to play between stiff and extra stiff. It's a holdover from the clubs I played before my back surgeries. I don't have near the speed I once did but I mostly play what I know works in terms of shafts.

• Like 2