TESTERS WANTED! ×

What flex is your shaft?

I was previously playing with a taylormade R15 driver 10.5° for which I was hitting terrible 90% of the time(hooks, slices and short) . This was before I realised what shaft flex it was so when I checked the shaft I realised it was a L flex. I was able to trade it in for a stiff flex Titleist 915 D2 driver and this sorted my problems out. What flex shaft do you use? Do other shafts mess your tee shots up? Let me know 🙂

Edited by Tomkgolf

I have mostly S flex shafts but I do play a R in my fairway wood.  I have a pretty smooth swing and am not to aggressive in transition so both work well for me.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

My SS is on the border of S and X, but I play S. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Irons have R flex KBS Tour graphite shafts.  FW have R flex (stock shafts).  Driver has a stiff flex from Paderson.

Note that there is no standard on shaft flex, so it's difficult to sometimes compare just the flex from one brand to another.  Also, there are other shaft characteristics within each range of shaft flex that will change the characteristics of your ball flight.  

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

I really don't know the flex of my clubs. My driver has a Fujikura Speeder-57 with an S label. Doesn't mean anything. Is it Stiff or Regular? Again... who knows. What I do know is that it plays well with my swing and the EXS head that's attached to it.

My irons are Aerotech SteelFiber i-80. They are labeled R.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Same here
  • Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

The thing to remember with flex designations is just because it states L,A,R,S,X doesn’t always mean anything. Especially with stock shafts. 1 shaft may be labeled R but may cpm similarly to a shaft labeled S.

More golfers would benefit from leaving their ego out of the equation when it comes to flex. I am a firm believer in playing a shaft that feels right to YOU and helps you put a good swing on it. I use loft to adjust spin and launch.

I have played shafts from regular to x stiff and even hit my fathers senior flex. Results were basically the same. My same crappy swing produced the same crappy results.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

1 hour ago, blackngold_blood said:

The thing to remember with flex designations is just because it states L,A,R,S,X doesn’t always mean anything. Especially with stock shafts. 1 shaft may be labeled R but may cpm similarly to a shaft labeled S.

More golfers would benefit from leaving their ego out of the equation when it comes to flex. I am a firm believer in playing a shaft that feels right to YOU and helps you put a good swing on it. I use loft to adjust spin and launch.

I have played shafts from regular to x stiff and even hit my fathers senior flex. Results were basically the same. My same crappy swing produced the same crappy results.

Well said 👍

I was playing A senior flex. This week I was fitted and put me into a R regular flex and a heavier shaft. It seems to work.
I believe you have to try your club of choice with the different shafts available to get the right combination.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

On the shaft labels I play x in my driver, three wood and hybrid with an s in my irons. According to CPMs I am heavy x in the driver and three wood, mid x in the hybrid and x in all my irons and wedges. Labels don’t tell the entire story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

On the shaft labels I play x in my driver, three wood and hybrid with an s in my irons. According to CPMs I am heavy x in the driver and three wood, mid x in the hybrid and x in all my irons and wedges. Labels don’t tell the entire story.

Agree.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Wait, this is the internet, doesn't everyone play XX flex? 

😉

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

I do in the driver :)

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

X in everything but wedges. Those are DG wedge flex.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

8 hours ago, GB13 said:

I’m exactly the same

Driver: TaylorMade M2 9.5

3 Wood: Taylormade M2 16.5

Utility: Srixon U65 20deg (3 iron)

Irons: Srixon z765 4-AW

Wedges: Callaway MD4 54 & 58

Putter : Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s

Ball : TaylorMade TP5

I currently use a proforce V2 7F5 extra-stiff shaft. The correct shaft makes a HUGE difference in my game. If was using that L shaft that you had, id easily loose 30-40 yards short on my drives.

M5 7.5Deg UST Proforce V2 tipped 1" strong 70g X

M5 Rocket 3 14deg UST Proforce V2  70g X

GaparLo 2 17deg KBS Tour Hybrid Prototype 95g X

4-iron Titleist T-MB Project X 6.5

5-Pw Taylormade P7TW Project X 6.5

52 Slate Blue Vokey SM7 Project X 6.5

56 Jet Black Vokey SM7 Project X 6.0

60 HiToe Mill Grind Project X 6.0

I'm a "tweener" Driver SS is low to mid 90's (mostly low), but a stiff flex usually fits me better and that is based mostly on feel. In fact, all my shafts are now of the stiff variety. I started with R-flex with everything and had awful results. After being fitted to a stiff shaft for my first ever driver fitting last year, I have since upgraded all equipment to stiff with very positive results across the board. Are they perfect? No. But they "feel" right and I am comfortable with them all. I can also certainly tell the difference between R & S and R for me just feels like a noodle. I believe for me it has a lot to do with my semi-violent transition...

My 2-cents.

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

I'm in stiff everything except my 3 wood which still says stiff but it has been tipped to play between stiff and extra stiff. It's a holdover from the clubs I played before my back surgeries. I don't have near the speed I once did but I mostly play what I know works in terms of shafts.

Ping G400 LST 8.5* Graphite Design DI 6 stiff 45"

Taylormade RBZ Proto 14.5* Oban Kiyoshi 85 04 42.5"

Adams 4555 19* Matrix Ozik Altus 80 S/X 42"

Ping G410 Crossover 2 Project X Even Flow Blue 85 6.0 40"

Ping i500 4-8 Modus 105 Stiff

Ping Blueprint 9-P Modus 105 Stiff

Fourteen RM-12 53* and 58* Tour Issue Black Onyx s400 

Odyssey Tour Black Series 9 35" Flatso 1.0 

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

Stiff driver, hybrids, irons, SW, x-flex for 3W.

Used to be X in driver, woods, hybrids but had lost speed (always preferred stiff in irons even when my speed was up). Seemed to have picked it up again as the 3W keeps working better and I tend to get loose with driver lately.

May throw the RIP Alpha X into driver to test the waters again.

'S' in irons except wedges which are 'R'- go figure, it just felt better

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

5 hours ago, PING Apologist #9 said:

I'm a "tweener" Driver SS is low to mid 90's (mostly low), but a stiff flex usually fits me better and that is based mostly on feel. In fact, all my shafts are now of the stiff variety. I started with R-flex with everything and had awful results. After being fitted to a stiff shaft for my first ever driver fitting last year, I have since upgraded all equipment to stiff with very positive results across the board. Are they perfect? No. But they "feel" right and I am comfortable with them all. I can also certainly tell the difference between R & S and R for me just feels like a noodle. I believe for me it has a lot to do with my semi-violent transition...

My 2-cents.

I'm the same way. My swing speed hovers in the middle, but I always do better with heavier shafts. 

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: 4.5LS

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth 9* w/ Aldila Red 60

Fairway: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* w/ Diamana 70

Fairway: :callaway-small: GBB Heavenwood 19* w/ Fujikura Pro 72

Irons: :taylormade-small: p790 4-PW w/ C-Taper Lite 110s

Wedge: :taylormade-small: MG3 50 & 54

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 60*

Putter: :taylormade-small: Spider X

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5 PIX

Through fittings and trial and error I play S or 6.0 in everything. My driver SS is about 100mph and irons about 88mph but I have an aggressive downswing so the S works for me.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

17 hours ago, blackngold_blood said:

Good point.  I suspect there is ego/vanity shaft configurations in many bags that aren't the best for that player. I say this because during my recent driver and iron fittings, I kept wanting to hear "stiff shaft needed" for this swing - regular just sounds wimpy 😄.  I think many associate stiff shaft with low handicap players and, much like selecting a ball that their favorite tour pros play as opposed to one that fits their game, allow image to steer the boat.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

For as long as I can remember, I've played stiff shafts.  I did a driver fitting last Thanksgiving, and ended up with a Graphite Design YS-Six in X flex, even though my clubhead speed was 98-100 mph.  As I understand it, the X flex did a better job of lowering spin.  I have no complaints, I gained 15 yards or so.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I go with AAA myself as you get better road service

I game regular flex in all my clubs

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Just had a fitting yesterday and he recommended X in my woods. My irons are 6.5s wedges are X but soft stepped

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

4 hours ago, perseveringgolfer said:

'S' in irons except wedges which are 'R'- go figure, it just felt better

That actually isn't unusual at all. A lot of players play weaker flexes in their wedges since they are used for more "controlled" shots and don't need the extra stiffness to stabilize the shaft. It also can provide better feel around the green. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock