GolfSpy STUDque

2019 OFFICIAL #CobraCONNECT Challenge 3

GolfSpy STUDque

If you're trying to catch up, the first post in this thread will always tell you where we stand. 

Message added by GolfSpy STUDque

#CCC3 Week 7  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Which Shot/Hole was your favorite?

• BARDLE
    • BUCKY CC - "Eagle for the Win"
    • NUNFA0
    • PALVORD
    • ROBERTSON153

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closes on 07/29/2019 at 02:00 AM

Placeholder Week 7

With apologies to a few of the holes that I posted in the P.A.T.T.S. thread (Par After Terrible Tee Shot) there was really only one clear choice for me this week.  I'm officially calling it "Eagle for the Win".

The public course I'm a member at holds a season long event race that finishes with a Ryder Cup style tournament in October.  There's a wide variety of tournament types (single, partner, stableford, 40 ball foursome, etc) with four 36 hole majors sprinkled in.  My shot comes from our first major of the year - The June Cup.

After a great first round I slept on a five shot lead in my flight.  That good feelings quickly evaporated as round two got off to a discouraging start.  We began on hole 4 (shotgun start) and I immediately bogeyed the first four holes to all but evaporate the five shot lead I had built.  A few more bogeys and one double later I was +8 for the day with only two holes left.  I was feeling a bit like this guy:

1853445842_Golferchoking.jpg.07b99738c9c8b702faaa6ac7f8828ea4.jpg

Thinking that my lead was probably gone I had to be very aggressive on the next hole.  Hole 2 at Western Lakes is a 486 yard par 5 that usually plays into a strong wind.  There is a nasty fairway bunker along with water on the right and a stream you have to cross on your approach shot.  Arccos Caddie suggests I play the hole with 3H and a six iron.  I'd love to try that strategy but it would never work with the hole playing into the wind.

strategy.jpeg.4b3303d940c352ad134cae83b0a1ba1f.jpeg.

Feeling a mix of crushing disappointment and quiet aggression I grabbed the big stick and aimed way left to avoid the water.  I hit the exact drive I was going for 271 yards safely into the next fairway over 

IMG_1062.jpg.f821fae10e9d30e9a8365eef21a27545.jpg

That left me with 215 to the hole and a big decision.  Do I go for the green or play it smart with an iron to get back into my own fairway?  Of course I go for it!

I hit a high draw with my 4h that started out a little right and came back to the green perfectly and stopped 28 feet from the pin.  The putt found it's home and I ended with an Eagle 3.

IMG_1061.jpg.2a00402234cea4e9963ba8e8725d55db.jpg

After a par on the last hole the tournament ended with me 11 shots (net) on top of the nearest competitor in the 1st flight.  I later found out the closest guy to me went double-triple over his final two holes when he heard I was struggling and he was close.

Thanks to the Cobra clubs and this hole I won my first ever tournament.  Since then I've been playing the best golf of my life.

1544144405_JuneCup.JPG.d3203ed3e07a443e2e10a7f07144ad7a.JPG

• Love 2

Placeholder Week 7

Placeholder Week 7

Placeholder Week 7

One of the new features Cobra has added this year is a wider sole area with a raised portion to minimize turf interaction and lower the CG. I had to read up in order to understand what Cobra was doing.20190609_073104-01.jpeg
My question is how are you guys finding the F9 to perform out of the rough? Are you having more problems than normal with twisting or loss of distance?

Great job during the pre-chatter to all of you, it's been a fun read.

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 4

To short answer you, no. I have not seen a loss of distance or twisting with the new clubs. But you have to remember I gamed SGI irons before these, so maybe it would be different for someone who didn’t.(?)

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 4

Did y'all really think you could get away from me just by changing threads?!? Ha, it's not that easy!

Seriously, nice Stage 1 Team 153, the bar is set high for everyone else. 

• Like 1

As my favorite Naval Aviator would say...

B9F3ACBE-F97A-4174-B393-C253CD7D7F3D.gif

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

To short answer you, no. I have not seen a loss of distance or twisting with the new clubs. But you have to remember I gamed SGI irons before these, so maybe it would be different for someone who didn’t.(?)

Thanks for the feedback! That hump on the soles was just something that jumped out at me the first time I saw them.

Great stage 1, those photos are great and love the fact you went with the yellow. Those F9 drivers are .

5 hours ago, robertson153 said:

Ladies and gentlemen it’s finally here!! The Cobra Connect Challenge 3 has officially kicked off 🏌🏻‍♂️.

IMG_0384.JPG

It’s been a late spring here in central Kentucky, why is that relevant, my home course has Bermuda fairways which doesn’t become “playable” until late May early June. This year it’s the first week of June and they’re still not very good. Hopefully in the next few weeks they start filling in nice, hate to hit the new clubs off dirt.

I’ve only been seriously playing the game for around 3 years. My swing and game in general are definitely a work in progress. I swing hard, hit it a long way, but generally don’t know where it’s gonna end up. The added distance didn’t really peak my interest in the Cobras, it was the promise of forgiveness. Obviously, like everyone else on this great forum, I’m in love with this game, well, more like a love hate relationship emoji23.png. So far this year I’ve shot 79, all the way to 93 emoji51.png. I guess you could call me a little inconsistent.

My bag, before the Cobras, consist of Epic Flash driver, Adams 3 wood and 4 hybrid, Nike VrS forged 4-G, Callaway Mack Daddy forged 56* and 60* and my Scotty Cameron Circa 62. All my clubs were picked up used mostly off eBay.

IMG_0347.JPG

This is what Arccos said my handicap should be after 7-8 rounds. I don’t really understand it all because I shot 3 of my lowest scores ever during that period (18 hole 79, 18 hole 80, 9 hole 37). So not sure how all of that is calculated 🤷‍♂️. But, I guess you can say it worked out, I can’t do anything but go up from here. We’ll see if after several rounds this Arccos levels out and becomes more accurate.

IMG_0202.JPG

This is my first swing with the HRZDUS Smoke 6.5 shaft (which I love). IMG_0367.JPG The first couple of shafts felt terrible, can’t remember what they were. Apparently they caused me to keep hitting them off the heel, didn’t realize how important shafts are until that moment.

My swing speed with 7 iron during my fitting was 93mph and driver averaged 108, got one up to 113 (ended up being a big hook). My go to 150yd club is my PW, can always count on that trusty PW. I’ve always had a high ball flight throughout the entire bag, with the Cobras it’s no different. My typical miss is when I get lazy and start swaying instead of turning and dead pull it (left for me). If I had one strength it would have to be my distance. My entire game depends on how I’m driving the ball that day. If it’s bad, my entire game suffers, and if it’s good, I can shoot high 70s to low 80s. Mid 80s is my average with the occasional upper 80s low 90s. Official handicap at this moment is 12.2. I’m hoping the hype surrounding the F9s with “ultra forgiveness” is just what the doctor ordered.

My first visual impression of the new clubs were just so so. Then once the fitter fixed me up with the right shaft, it took 3 tries, they started looking better. We decided to go with KBS Tour Flight 120 stiff in 4i-58*. IMG_0365.JPG With that combo it produced a nice mid-high ball flight with a great spin rate. It was my first ever fitting, so I can’t really say much about that, other than it was better than expected. The guy I had at Golf Headquaters in Louisville KY was very informative and seemed to want to help. Even after I said I wasn’t going to buy from them, they still were very helpful (maybe it was the MGS name drop).

IMG_0293.JPG

You can see how thick the top line is on this 4 iron, and how the “speedback” sticks out at address. But once I hit it, none of that mattered.

Cobra says the F9s are made for mid cappers with high SS, so that’s a check and check. Claims of low center of gravity are supposed to help keep the face square through impact. With the long irons there’s a tungsten weight in the heel and toe IMG_0395.JPG that seemed to help me launch the ball high and straight. So maybe all the hype isn’t all BS, maybe some of it is actually true.

I have had my Cobra F9s for about 3-4 weeks, had several range sessions (8-10) with around 8-10 full rounds. I’m still trying to figure out some of the clubs, mostly long irons. With the last lesson I had, the guy made a couple of tweaks to my grip and transition, now I’m playing a high fade. Which is fine by me, if I can depend on it.

For this set to become my gamers they need to be consistently long, straight, and appeasing to my eye. So far I’m loving the yellow. IMG_0389.JPG Wether they will or not is going to be an 8 week adventure that all of you get to take with me. So might as well jump on board with Team 153 and join me in the victory circle.

If anyone has any questions, something you’re wanting to see, or want me to try something, just ask it in this thread or PM me. Stay tuned for the biggest testing/review of the year!!

Great intro. That is one sweet looking setup. I am not a fan of yellow but honestly they pop and look 🔥🔥.

Is ball flight higher with Cobra’s than previous set? Curious if about the lower CG affecting this. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sirchunksalot said:

One of the new features Cobra has added this year is a wider sole area with a raised portion to minimize turf interaction and lower the CG. I had to read up in order to understand what Cobra was doing.20190609_073104-01.jpeg
My question is how are you guys finding the F9 to perform out of the rough? Are you having more problems than normal with twisting or loss of distance?

Great job during the pre-chatter to all of you, it's been a fun read.

I actually did have a shot today from the rough where I thought I caught it well, but it was about 30 yards short of the green, low and left. Dead straight though. That being said, given my skill level, its hard to blame the club for something like that...

• Like 2

Great intro. That is one sweet looking setup. I am not a fan of yellow but honestly they pop and look .
Is ball flight higher with Cobra’s than previous set? Curious if about the lower CG affecting this. 

I’m loving the yellow because its an attention grabber, plus the sound of the driver. During my fitting we had to go to the 120 tour flights to get my ball up. The other shafts wouldn’t let me elevate the ball. Like I said in my intro I’ve always been a high ball hitter. The Cobras are no exception.

• Like 1

giphy.gif

FINALLY! 

@bardle your intro really resonates with my game, I had to make sure that wasn't something I posted 😂.  With that, how are you adjusting from a traditional set of iron lengths to the one lengths?

@robertson153  the gray on that bag looks absolutely stunning.  I think Arccos might have been a little drunk.  28.8 handicap??

• Like 2