GolfSpy STUDque

2019 OFFICIAL #CobraCONNECT Challenge 3

GolfSpy STUDque

If you're trying to catch up, the first post in this thread will always tell you where we stand. 

Message added by GolfSpy STUDque

#CCC3 Week 7  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Which Shot/Hole was your favorite?

• BARDLE - “Breaking Barriers”
    • BUCKY CC - "Eagle for the Win"
    • NUNFA0 - "Redemption"
    • PALVORD - "Emotional Roller Coaster"
    • ROBERTSON153

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closes on 07/29/2019 at 02:00 AM

@bardle great intro. Glad someone had the cojones to go with one length 🤣. Will be interesting to follow to see if you improve ball striking. Also with only playing a short time your game is is pretty solid. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

dwight.gif.692f8c16ecd551baaf4dba20225fac05.gif

Its Finallyyyyyy Timeeeee!!!!!

Welcome everyone! The first thing I want to do it is thank MGS and Cobra for letting me be a part of this incredible challenge. Being a high handicapper, I wasn’t sure I’d get an opportunity like this but I know there others out there like me, so I’m hoping I can be of service to you.

MVIMG_20190506_174353.jpg.7d87dfaf2f4faa632022c207eeb52383.jpg.404cf370f9148ba3779f0d5dbc938336.jpgMy name is Bradley, I’m 29 and I live just north of Atlanta. I’m married and we have two pups, one of which is my profile pic, and we have a 7 month old little girl who is my pride and joy.

Warning: Adorable kid pic incoming:

MVIMG_20190603_122047.thumb.jpg.99d391896796338e5ba82bba8cc7ddea.thumb.jpg.e7355fa790f33587eb1fe1b0b759d569.jpg

I’ve been golfing a year and a half or so now. My first round ever was at my in-laws Thanksgiving “Turkey Open” family scramble where I played for fun with my brother-in-law and father-in-law. It was a blast, I was terrible, but I had so much fun that I’ve never looked back.

Here are my current gamer clubs:

Driver: Cobra F7 - Aldila 2KNV Stiff shaft

Irons: Taylormade Rocketbladez Stiff 4-PW

Wedges: Bridgestone Tour B XW-1 52º / 56º / 60º

So hows my golf game?

Yeah it’s okay, I try to not be too hard on myself being pretty new to the game but I am a perfectionist and I hate being bad at anything.

I recently joined a club that is well known to be the hardest course in the immediate area. This was intentional because I want to be better at the game. I play the blues which sit at a 72.8 / 136 and 6,600 yards long. It’s probably way too tough for me. My first round I shot a 113, since then I’ve come back down and currently my average score is around a 102. I have yet to break 100 at my new course in a full 18 hole round. That being said its teaching me the premium of keeping the ball in play as the rough is extremely punishing on most holes and it forces me to play shots I never would have before.

Here’s my baseline stats with my pre-cobra gamers.

baseline.png.6ce5535f6cc0fd46cb727e09287dbe14.png.3fe61edb03545c1921170dd287dab0f0.png

I am the epitome of the high handicapper golfer, inconsistent ball striking with some good shots sprinkled in. I 3 putt sometimes, sometimes I don’t. I hit a power slice when my Driver isn't working, but overall the biggest problem with my golf game is inconsistency with my irons. Pretty standard stuff and if you’re over an 18 handicap everything I am saying here probably resonates with you.

Some more details:

driver.png.0dcbe6f2c6a9d0e3b4fb37064307413f.png.428d5d52ea214f1c4c41dc3906e5ec40.png

Driving wise, you can see my average dispersion is only 20 yards, but I have a big time two way miss, I’ve been holding back on the tee lately in an effort to hit fairways more and lose less balls. The problem is that gives me a 4 or 5 iron into alot of the greens. Here’s my usage chart on my clubs from arccos:

usage.png.39e5ca10993595f8fb7fee64298da01c.png.323013c2007f39150db37d935d9514f2.png

You can see that leaving myself short off the tee means my 4 and 5 iron are used more than anything else. I almost never am in range to use a scoring club to get to the green reliably. Because of this, my approach stats show what I already know is the truth, I'm short alot...

approach.png.8d9fb5c29975e39595ae43b197e50c78.png.89552434f036ea631960f564d20f98a3.png

Short, short, short. Left and right aren’t nearly the issue here. Its thinning and chunking long irons that cause all the problems. As you can see a lot of my approach shots are 30 yards or more short of the green, which means I’m constantly hitting short pitches into the green and trying to save par. With my handicap I don’t mind missing greens, I expect it,  the real problem is the distance I’m leaving everything short. It makes chipping or pitching anything close very difficult.

chipping.png.54b82c3bede5f589cd09e6733e029ff0.png.1cd4d4922511811cc3bc54e482eac92a.png

The greens I play on are really fast, I know everyone says that, but they are the fastest I have played in my limited time golfing and pitching from 30+ yards often leaves me far away from the pin. If I’m greenside but off the fringe and I can’t putt it, I do fairly well. When I move the slider in, I’m averaging 6 to 8 ft from 15 yards and in on chipping, The problem is that only 11% of my baseline chips are inside 15 yards…

Sand....

GjQHzTdspX5TYQE7vpZY1X3y2wz28csRxHlfLne6_nKIF1iCAIGV2KqRb9_vyeak88-TqX8GnpezVyLS2YbBnTEiaMlAyPnFLBuZIDXsm3fMk44Q2xV2bE-m9AdRHRJXDIUiMb7B

I’m a 22 handicap, the only beach I do well on has a chair and a cooler full of beer on it, not a golf ball. Seriously though, I leave sand shots short primarily, I’m always scared of sending them over the green or thinning them. Most of the time I can get out in one, but I do have the occasional 3-peat to get out of a high lipped trap.

sand.png.121edbe7756de77757546fa801018e4e.png.5605b00a0dfe184b081527ca0af1afba.png

On to The Fun Part

J0JVk1TKNGlhVHhotl_wuiNJulBg3vdHS8bALIWErK1KOJARq2l1QQ_UFin3qtlT5E2M5fYt5Xkq3DKYsox57CeLZjB8wypILHXJxavU25t81t20E0nsCCndo3jKqbm33l900tuI

That was a lot, you guys still with me? I saved the best part for last. First let’s hit the high notes and walk through what my fitting revealed and the clubs I chose:

The Bag:

Driver: F9 9º Degree head, Evenflow White T1100 X Stiff

Woods: 3/4 Wood, Evenflow White T1100 X Stiff

Hybrid: 3 Hybrid, Aldila 2KNV Green X Stiff

Irons: One Length F9’s 4-PW, Modus3 Tour 105’s Stiff

Wedges: King Black Wedges in 50º / 54º / 58º

Bag: Black / Black Stand Bag (I freaking love this thing)

bag2.jpg.0b3866179b1885cc76941ca93e77d0c9.jpg.83641b04f74462e84f144dd924b23573.jpg

Fitting Overview:

So I saw a cobra fitter, without going into too much detail. I swing hard and put a lot of torque  on the butt of my clubs shaft. So he selected shafts for me that basically have no butt end and pretty much demanded that I go with X Stiff in all my woods and hybrids to prevent whipping and increase control.

drivershaft.jpg.ba06646ad72bd4b5ff7b94e312458566.jpg.44aced1243ba830dd6e21075a9a63ce1.jpg

He also suggested that I go with a D4 swing weight on my irons, especially if I was going one length because of my size, he was concerned that I’d get too loose and wouldn’t be able to control the clubs if they weighed in at their stock D0 swing weight. My irons and wedges are also 1 inch longer than standard and the grips are like +4 wraps or something, which is an adjustment, but they do feel a lot better to hold. 

3w.jpg.a7eafd2934ce7250b5208542fded0039.jpg.59f2eccfa8243f8f44b1a50357bd80e8.jpg

I also went with a 3 hybrid and a 3 wood. My 4 iron is typically right around 200 yards. So I need some extra distance to recover from poor tee shots or hit long 2nd shots into par 5’s. So I went with the 3 Hybrid hoping for a 215-235 club and a 3 wood for something just over that, 230 - 260 or so would be great. We have a few tight par 4’s that require a limited tee shot and a little more control than a driver usually gives me. So I’m hoping I can hit those fairways a little more consistently with these clubs.

BUT WHY ONE LENGTHS?!?!?!

I hear all of you screaming, I’m the only one length tester in this crew. Cobra swears these things work. They have a lot of tech in them to make them work. Progressive shaft weighting to make the same shaft work and gapping consistent, Wider soles in the 4-6 irons to help with launch and trajectory on top of all of the standard F9 features like Progressive Hosel lengths, E9 Pwrshell face, etc... You get it. You read everyone else’s intros too.

f9.jpg.39d04438bc5f2517527cb624ae25431a.jpg.537f4a86d168e9053be684dda544fe98.jpg

What you really want to know is do these things work? Can a high handicapper like myself really be more consistent just because all of his irons are the same length. You’ve seen my approach stats, you know I need something to help me. I chose them because I want to eliminate some variables. I think too much as it is on the course. Take away ball position and swing changes due to shaft length and I think I can improve my consistency. I really feel like that is all that’s left in my game to take me from a 20+ index to a mid handicapper.

Whats it gonna take for them to stay?

My old set isn't exactly nice, but one thing I have with them is consistent gapping. My old wedges are great, I hit them well when I get to hit them, My driver might not be the most accurate, but when I have good days with it, I have really really good days.

For the Cobras to hang around, what I really need to see is consistency throughout the bag. I need my driver dispersion to be tighter and preferably limited to a one way miss, I obviously need consistent contact with the One length irons, since thats kind of the point. The wedges have the most to live up too as the XW-1's I reviewed are very good, but the lower lofts have to help with gapping and consistency. It would be nice to be able to use that 58º reliably. I know, thats a lot to ask of the arrow, but I feel like I'm close to being a better golfer and I'm hoping these clubs can help mitigate some bad habits I have and get me shooting the scores that I feel like I should be.

Lets make it rain with questions folks, especially with regards to the One Lengths, I'll do my best to answer everything I can. 

wedge.thumb.jpg.e1c854831b47288caf51ca905fb620a9.jpg.782fe8e0b1f86dd85666c08767a4530b.jpg
drivertop.jpg.8b2ceff0c650a0349987be33f193b34e.jpg.094e13a60d04bad93fa402ed6777f801.jpg
driverback.jpg.92decdb7e1d952cc17707e7ec2b604c2.jpg.738a8b993a887592eb53ec162eacd62b.jpg
Excellent write-up@bardle! I commend you for taking the risk and going with the one lengths, it will be interesting to see how they work for you. I can't wait to follow along and watch that handicap come down.

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 2
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, sirchunksalot said:

One of the new features Cobra has added this year is a wider sole area with a raised portion to minimize turf interaction and lower the CG. I had to read up in order to understand what Cobra was doing.20190609_073104-01.jpeg
My question is how are you guys finding the F9 to perform out of the rough? Are you having more problems than normal with twisting or loss of distance?

Great job during the pre-chatter to all of you, it's been a fun read.

In my few rounds I've found that I love the Cobra F9 irons from the rough.  Fairway shots are still up in the air for me (literally and figuratively - they launch very high).

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Bucky CC said:

In my few rounds I've found that I love the Cobra F9 irons from the rough.  Fairway shots are still up in the air for me (literally and figuratively - they launch very high).

Interesting, considering 90% of my approach shots come from the rough, that may actually be good for me. 

@bardle, I'll be watching your review closely. I'm so very intrigued by the ONE lengths. 

Regards,

Team GB13

• Like 1

1 hour ago, THEZIPR23 said:

@bardle great intro. Glad someone had the cojones to go with one length 🤣. Will be interesting to follow to see if you improve ball striking. Also with only playing a short time your game is is pretty solid. 

So you're going to reward my bravery with a vote I assume? It's only fair. 😎

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JohnSmalls said:

giphy.gif

FINALLY! 

@bardle your intro really resonates with my game, I had to make sure that wasn't something I posted 😂.  With that, how are you adjusting from a traditional set of iron lengths to the one lengths?

@robertson153  the gray on that bag looks absolutely stunning.  I think Arccos might have been a little drunk.  28.8 handicap??

Also. Since I'm basically you. You should feel compelled to vote for yourself. I mean me. Or is it you? 😉 Don't fight it.

Team Bardle is accepting new members for this one time low price of a vote for yours truly. 

Also. Since I'm basically you. You should feel compelled to vote for yourself. I mean me. Or is it you? Don't fight it.
Team Bardle is accepting new members for this one time low price of a vote for yours truly. 
You're definitely working toward stacking the deck with the cute kid picture.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

You're definitely working toward stacking the deck with the cute kid picture.

So my plan is working... Mwahaha

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, bardle said:

Also. Since I'm basically you. You should feel compelled to vote for yourself. I mean me. Or is it you? 😉 Don't fight it.

That is tempting and the thought crossed my mind.  But I tend to be an informed voter, so we'll see what happens after all of the competitors drop their lines. 

I do appreciate the hustle, but you we're hurt that you didn't mention you are a member of the esteemed Hard Rock Challenge HOF.  Speaking of which, you have exactly 3 weeks left to defend your title 😉

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bardle said:

It's tough. I mean mentally I always want to move the scoring irons back a touch and the long irons up a touch ball position wise which messes everything up. I have to really pay attention right now and focus on making sure it's always the same until I get used to it. 

Another thing. The swings. With my long irons I used to sweep a lot more and be less steep opposed to my scoring irons. Now I sort of do that with all my clubs and I just shorten my swing for the scoring clubs so that it doesn't matter to much. It seems to be working. Shot a personal course record 99 today with my second round using these puppies. Booyah. 

Nice work on the 99!  I am really interested to see if the one lengths do their thing.  It only seems like the theory should work.  Do you see the "normal" one length issues of ballooning short irons or strange gapping problems?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, JohnSmalls said:

That is tempting and the thought crossed my mind.  But I tend to be an informed voter, so we'll see what happens after all of the competitors drop their lines. 

I do appreciate the hustle, but you we're hurt that you didn't mention you are a member of the esteemed Hard Rock Challenge HOF.  Speaking of which, you have exactly 3 weeks left to defend your title 😉

I've been trying to decide what to do. The cobras are so young to be abused like that...

19 minutes ago, JohnSmalls said:

Nice work on the 99!  I am really interested to see if the one lengths do their thing.  It only seems like the theory should work.  Do you see the "normal" one length issues of ballooning short irons or strange gapping problems?

No ballooning. I have a sneaking suspicion that the 4 and 5 iron aren't going as far as they should. But I don't have evidence to prove it just yet....

My intro is up.  I had to add a paragraph to the beginning of it after my two rounds this weekend.  Vote Bucky!

• Like 1

*PREFACE* I wrote my complete intro a few days before our June 9th deadline.  We were given the OK to put the new Cobra clubs in play starting on June 8th, and I used them for my course’s first “major” of the year.  36 hole net stroke play event played from 6400 yards.  As a 7 handicap I shot 73-78 to shoot net -5 and win my flight by 11 shots.  These clubs are good.

1853625396_JuneCup.JPG.2afca01f37df1a1f82489bd29f1a8d7a.JPG

Official Intro:

Hello.  My name is Bucky and I’m an alchol----wait, wrong forum.  For some strange reason I’ve been chosen to compete in the most prestigious contest that MyGolfSpy has to offer.  What were they thinking?  In any case I owe a gigantic thank you to MGS and the Cobra team for putting this together for the 3rd year.  To recycle a comment I made in the pre-chatter; it’s the Catalina Wine Mixer of MGS events.

1173901256_whatamidoinghere.jpg.f7a7f228b36bdac796e5c21e2ff3bd4f.jpg

I know most of you aren’t all that interested in our personal back stories so I’ll be brief.  Born in Wisconsin, learned the game from my older brother, been playing for close to 30 years now, lived in Minnesota for 10 years after college, back in Wisconsin for good now.  If that’s not boring enough for you head over to the SuperSpeed forum page and check out my intro from last fall.  It’s a real page turner.

[/url] 612105414_reduceboredom.JPG.aba35f1956cf422a2ac7b77a7912ccc0.JPG

I have gone through fittings for pretty much every club in my bag.  I had a Callaway Epic driver, PXG 3 wood (used of course!), Ping i25 hybrids, Titleist 714 AP2 irons, and Vokey wedges.  My favorite clubs are probably my Ping hybrids.  They are small and anti hook.

Last year I started tracking more of my shots by hand so to use the Arccos system this spring was amazing.  The only issues I had with it were missing a few tap in putts but they were easily added before I even got to the next tee box.

Overall my swing is moderate tempo with a top swing speed in the 105-110 range.  Here’s a video of me from the range earlier this week.  My typical ball flight is medium height with misses to both sides of the fairway/green.  I'm still working on my Phil Kwon Do Calves.

ezgif.com-video-to-gif.gif.2b504366908557a9de38771d70eeb697.gif

While my USGA index is currently a 6.3 I’ve struggled this spring with extremely wet conditions and getting used to my new SuperSpeed enhanced swing.  The long Wisconsin winters also wreak havoc on my game.  My Arccos baseline rounds show that I'm an 8.8 handicap using my old clubs.  My best rounds of the year always come in July, August, and September.

1691162768_Baselinehandicap.jpg.48043defdddceaef37256e2fd263a61f.jpg

I’ve been fighting a nasty slice this spring but may have made a correction earlier this week.  Hopefully I’m finally over the winter rust and it’s not just a matter of me playing crappy golf.  Here are my driving numbers with basically zero roll on the wet courses.

Driving.jpg.55cd91ca81f3b4f48f54a766d4483428.jpg

Here are a few more boring stats before we get into the good stuff.  I would say this is a pretty accurate representation of my game with a few too many doubles that usually go away as the conditions firm up and my swing becomes more fluid.

Scoring breakdown and Putting stats/handicap.

1649946215_Scoringbreakdown.jpg.e21190addaaeb3071efd6d1cab0a5890.jpgPutting.jpg.63c8833ee19671c26abfcf6e269707c6.jpg

Greens in regulation show I leave my shots short too often.  A lot of the greens at my home course slope back to front so it’s definitely beneficial to be below the hole.  Chipping is pretty poor thanks to extremely thick and wet rough this spring and low skill level on my part.  

GIR.jpg.27258f35e9a0bf9d6b9586bd3d483262.jpgChipping.jpg.ff4a0b25a740bb046616bdba19b9b5b2.jpg

And now on to the 2019 Cobra lineup.  Drumroll please!

drumroll.jpg.a39e822278e7953017cf30398f34ede6.jpg

Cobra is all about speed this year.  Heck, everything but the wedges have Speedback in their name!  While the reason behind the SPEED is a little different for each club, essentially they all claim to be forgiving, long, and FAAAAAAASSSSSSSSTTTTTTTTTTTTT!  I’m pretty sure I’ll be hitting 400 yard drives within 2 inches of my target line by the end of the summer.

I’ve posted quite a few club pictures in the pre-chatter forum already, but I really love the look of these clubs and want to post more.  Deal with it!

The driver looks fantastic.  I’m not a big fan of huge club head markings (turbulators), but Cobra toes the line perfectly blending functional aerodynamic improvements and standard club head shaping.  I really like the matte grey top of the club that came with the white drivers.

image.png.9ccb2a1014c9679da0767cd83854b157.pngimage.png.99db66f304d70aba3ea2401f3b633cae.pngimage.png.576c4e581a58d18f078ebc4292f67a9e.png

The fairway wood is basically a mini driver.  I’ve hit some BOMBS with this off the tee.

image.png.b83d56423c36a3da519b7d21f3a967f5.png

If I had to use one word to describe the hybrids it would be speed BIG.  Compared to my old i25’s these are quite large.  Bigger is always better, right?

image.png.911490c320317e53111fb491b1feae7e.pngimage.png.85086889001cb683fbcae0bde225c7f0.png

The irons are also on the large side of what I’m used to.  I know I could use a little help here but these almost seem excessive.  I’m most interested to see how super game improvement irons compare to my old AP2s (right side of the 2nd picture.)

image.png.a2f60e691cd0fff16dcf8e36ac1ed70d.pngimage.png.a73ab5d738e6b25be933d52218fffd92.png

The wedges are gorgeous with the black on black look.  As described in the pre-chatter they are basically ninjas.  I can’t wait to take Bruce Lee, The Bride, and Haru (Chris Farley in Beverly Hills Ninja) out on the course.

image.png.a09c98bf3f20f8ee238a1ebe8168f51e.pngimage.png.93addda35daf363fad1ea22211521414.png

I would show you a multitude of bag pictures but unfortunately I’m not currently gaming the bag with my new clubs.  Upon seeing the awesome red/white/blue stand combo I selected my wife claimed it as her own.  It’s replacing a black and yellow Acuity bag (Dick’s Sporting Goods store brand) that was over 10 years old.  Vote for me; my wife stole my bag!!!

I really struggled with the final part of my intro to the CobraConnectChallenge3.  At first I had this elaborate “30 for 30” style story about how I was groomed from a child to win this entire challenge; complete with requisite jokes at the expense of my fellow competitors.  There were some bad jokes like comparing Nunfa0’s New Zealand home to Middle Earth (lame), some mediocre jokes about Palvord sharing Detroit with Kid Rock (meh), and a decent one about Bryson giving a rough estimate of my chances of winning at 31.3593204852929039481%.

image.png.3bfd6c199fc778e848bc0586a24c2b9c.png

Truth is none of that stuff is me.  I play my best when I’m challenging the course instead of my foursome (or fivesome in this case).  For all I know Bardle, Nunfa0, Palvord, and Robertson153 are amazing people both on and off the course.  All I can control over the next 8+ weeks is how I present myself and how much time and effort I put into my game.

With all of that being said I have four (FORE!) main questions going into this challenge:

1.  The Cobra clubs are top notch across the board but can gaming a full bag of just one brand really beat my individually fit clubs from multiple companies?

2.  Will the extra large hybrids be able to cut through the thick rough on my course and be more than just fairway finders off the tee?

3.  Can the super game improvement aspect of the F9 Speedback irons really help improve my approach stats?  I’m not looking for extra distance here; I want accuracy and consistency.

4.  If I win the intro phase of the challenge will I really go full Rickie?  It’s a good possibility!

image.png.bf492939adeec3b562be728118e8bb8d.png

1768934256_Baselinehandicap.jpg.6444abd64ab6d60f07fe49993636f150.jpg

[/url]GIR.jpg.dd0aaf49cc3403473c80cec9b30f5992.jpg

[/url]Chipping.jpg.aca9fb416f81912392e2dea3f2d1261d.jpg

Chipping.jpg.71fe5f2a60552d10f3a2d079d58a114e.jpg

image.png.c5b328a4d56631b0b157e123d6576d24.png

Great job on the intro Bucky! Nice photos and a lot of reading, "yawn". Just kidding, you hit it out of the park. Just do us all one favor and please don't go full Ricky, that moustache might end you up on a watch list.

It's going to be fun seeing how these clubs work for you, considering you've been gaming more of a player's iron and your skill level. As a fellow SuperSpeed tester, I'm rooting for you to do well.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bucky CC said:

Vote for me; my wife stole my bag!!!

On the bright side, at least she has good taste 🤷‍♂️.   I think the overall handicap picture that Arccos has generated for you indicates who it has chosen as a winner 🤔

• Like 1

My intro is up.  I had to add a paragraph to the beginning of it after my two rounds this weekend.  Vote Bucky!

Does going full rickie include the stache?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, blackngold_blood said:

Does going full rickie include the stache?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

tenor.gif.71c695ad8ed2d2ccdf246a7fe3cdc88b.gif

• Like 3

Nice intro @Bucky CC!

Out of curiosity, was the muppet pic for me? 😁