GolfSpy STUDque

2019 OFFICIAL #CobraCONNECT Challenge 3

GolfSpy STUDque

If you're trying to catch up, the first post in this thread will always tell you where we stand. 

Message added by GolfSpy STUDque

So, question for the testers...how much do you attribute the increased distances/accuracy to the heads (driver, irons or otherwise) versus the shafts if different from your previous set?

MDGolfHacker 

In my old set of irons I had 95g shafts, and in the new set I have 120s. I think the heads are heavier in the Cobras vs my Nikes. I don’t like to “feel” the heads in my irons, if that makes sense. My old driver, Epic SZ, I had a 70g shaft, new Cobra I went with the 60g shaft to “feel” the head better. Doesn’t make sense to me either how I like the two differences. Point is, my shaft choice had to deal with feeling. We started out with the same weighted shafts to match my old set, but it didn’t feel right. Weird thing is trackman was the same on both different weights. I have the same flight, mid-high,and pretty close to the same distances. For example my old 7 iron was my 180 club, now the F9 7 iron is my 185 club(when hit good). I’ll talk more about the accuracy in my iron and driver review. Hope in all this rambling I answered your question.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, Nunfa0 said:

Personally I have the same shafts in my irons and a close as I could in the woods so and improvement will be the heads 😁😎

Good to hear😁

2 hours ago, Bucky CC said:

The biggest difference for me is that I've never used an X flex driver before this contest.  Most of that is due to the SuperSpeed program that I did over the winter.  My old stiff flex driver shaft wasn't necessarily a bad fit but the ATMOS Black shaft in X flex seemed to be much more consistent for me to hit than any of the stiff offerings Cobra had.

Iron shafts are very similar stiff flex, low spin-low launch profile as my previous gamers.  The F9's launch higher but the shaft feels the same.

Kind of key having a driver shaft with a load profile that can work with your swing.  

55 minutes ago, robertson153 said:

In my old set of irons I had 95g shafts, and in the new set I have 120s. I think the heads are heavier in the Cobras vs my Nikes. I don’t like to “feel” the heads in my irons, if that makes sense. My old driver, Epic SZ, I had a 70g shaft, new Cobra I went with the 60g shaft to “feel” the head better. Doesn’t make sense to me either how I like the two differences. Point is, my shaft choice had to deal with feeling. We started out with the same weighted shafts to match my old set, but it didn’t feel right. Weird thing is trackman was the same on both different weights. I have the same flight, mid-high,and pretty close to the same distances. For example my old 7 iron was my 180 club, now the F9 7 iron is my 185 club(when hit good). I’ll talk more about the accuracy in my iron and driver review. Hope in all this rambling I answered your question.

I feel ya😁😂🤣

Thanks for the responses!

MDGolfHacker 

• Like 2

Sorry boys (and girls), but I'll be leaving you all soon to enjoy my newfound fame as a social media influencer.  I've hit the big time.
Instagram.png.ad465c1b28036c237fc95164cf8653ca.png

You’ve gotta put that ball in play Bucky. I had a George Brett autograph baseball that lasted 2 weeks in its plastic case until we needed a ball. Prioritize!

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 3

16 hours ago, MDGolfHacker said:

So, question for the testers...how much do you attribute the increased distances/accuracy to the heads (driver, irons or otherwise) versus the shafts if different from your previous set?

MDGolfHacker 

@MDGolfHacker for me, it's a combination of both.

The increased distance is due to the club head. The forgiveness in the irons is very apparent as toe or heel strikes are not hurting me distance wise compared to mishits with my old irons. Center strikes are just flying further compared to my old irons. For example, my current average for my 7 iron is 166yds. In my baseline testing, my average for the old 7 iron was 156yds. The courses are still just as wet now as during my baseline play. So my extra 10yds on average is clearly due to the clubs.

The increased accuracy in my iron play is due to being properly fit for a shaft. When I went to my fitting, I talked about wanting to eliminate my two way miss. When the fitter saw my big right miss, he said "We'll get rid of that with this shaft," and he has been correct. Most of my misses with my irons now are to the left due to leaving the club face open.

My confidence levels are through the roof when I stand over the ball that I know where it is going and how far, and that increased confidence gives me a better chance to play my best golf.

• Like 7

I am here to see the amazing Golf Ball Whacker Guy...

Can any of you hit it over the highway?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Shankster said:

I am here to see the amazing Golf Ball Whacker Guy...

Can any of you hit it over the highway?

If the highway runs down the left of the course, I'll slice it over that for you!

Does that count?

• Like 5

If the highway runs down the left of the course, I'll slice it over that for you!
Does that count?

As long as it goes OVER it.
  • Like 3

For these weekly challenges, how are you deciding what courses to play?  Are you guys playing courses that have always been your home courses, or course based on the challenges?  For example, this week are you guys playing a course that may be a bit more wide open rather than tight and tree lined?  

Also, how many of you plan to play brand new courses throughout this challenge?

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, goaliewales14 said:

For these weekly challenges, how are you deciding what courses to play?  Are you guys playing courses that have always been your home courses, or course based on the challenges?  For example, this week are you guys playing a course that may be a bit more wide open rather than tight and tree lined?  

I am playing a mix of brand new courses and my usual courses. 

I typically will play a new course every weekend based on the deals I find, and my after work 9's are in my league play or the course near my house.

I don't have the luxury of choosing courses based on the challenge, although it would be highly beneficial.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, goaliewales14 said:

Well I'm back after my 24 hours of being a social media influencer.  The pay is much lower than anticipated.  💰💸🤷‍♂️

Unfortunately work and family obligations pretty much dictate when and where I can play.  I have Thursday afternoons off over the summer to play at least 18 at my home course with the hope that I can play elsewhere some weekends.

This week I'm planning playing 63 holes and all will be at the same course.  I'd love to find a place with gigantic fairways but life often gets in the way of golf.

• Like 8

Most of my rounds will be on my home course. I will however be taking a golf trip to Tennessee in July to play 2 new courses. My course is all but 2 doglegs and tree lined, I’m not changing anything.

• Like 6

Most of my rounds will be on my home course. I will however be taking a golf trip to Tennessee in July to play 2 new courses. My course is all but 2 doglegs and tree lined, I’m not changing anything.

I don't hear golf trip and Tennessee mentioned in the same sentence often. Where are you planning on playing? I honestly need to get out more in the state and play, but I usually stay around my home area near Chattanooga.

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

I don't hear golf trip and Tennessee mentioned in the same sentence often. Where are you planning on playing? I honestly need to get out more in the state and play, but I usually stay around my home area near Chattanooga.

Tazewell, it’s north eastern TN. Woodlake Lodge and Golf to be more specific. And we’ll be playing 36 on the way down, not sure where yet.

• Like 2

Tazewell, it’s north eastern TN. Woodlake Lodge and Golf to be more specific. And we’ll be playing 36 on the way down, not sure where yet.

Nice! Make sure you wear some orange and white when you come down, so if you play bad you can feel at home down here.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, goaliewales14 said:

I am going to be playing mostly my home course but if I get the chance I will play some different ones. In fact the course I played on the weekend is one I have never set foot on before 😁😎

• Like 5

Nice! Make sure you wear some orange and white when you come down, so if you play bad you can feel at home down here.

Is a Kentucky fan allowed to wear orange and white? That seems sacrilegious.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, palvord said:

Is a Kentucky fan allowed to wear orange and white? That seems sacrilegious.

Proper orange, or Tennessee “orange”? 

• Like 1

Who was the first to lay up to hit more fairways this week?

@Nunfa0 don’t you dare pull anything less than driver. You are a warrior!   

• Like 1
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, JohnSmalls said:

Who was the first to lay up to hit more fairways this week?

@Nunfa0 don’t you dare pull anything less than driver. You are a warrior!   

Probably me.

Hole #2 at Rackham is a dogleg right and if I pull driver, I'd be hitting it into the next fairway.

5 iron Off Tee.PNG

• Like 6