GolfSpy STUDque

If you're trying to catch up, the first post in this thread will always tell you where we stand. 

Message added by GolfSpy STUDque

currently 87F and 60% humidity
feels hotter than it measures because we're so close to the equator. the sun here doesn't mess around!

It’s 8:45pm here right now with 80% humidity and 82*. Here’s the next couple of days. And yes I’ll be playing 36 Saturday IMG_0572.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 1

About 5 degrees cooler than average and about 10 at night. 9CEFC131-BE12-45A0-B536-3071BC9E20F3.thumb.jpeg.1170c6218fde4fdc2d854eaf7fcd8e3a.jpeg

12 hours ago, yungkory said:

feels hotter than it measures because we're so close to the equator. the sun here doesn't mess around!

Pffft. That's an average day in summer where I'm from originally but with closer to 80-90% humidity.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, yungkory said:

Just finished my round. Sorry @palvord there was no magic today. It started promising with a birdie on #1, and being level par thru 5, but then my club selections kind of let me down. More on this later.

7/17/19

West Loch Municipal

67.2/109

84 gross

Clubs selected: Driver, 5i, 8i, 56*

Quick glance via Arccos:

image.png.8e9b717c2760c7687b6cbf495e497738.png

So typically I'm able to overpower this course since it's pretty short at around 6000y and I can put the ball out a decent way with my driver. Arccos shows the course having blue tees, but in reality there's only white, and red. Sometimes, the white tees are where the blue tees would've been, sometimes they're where they're supposed to be -- so the course never plays its actual stated length. What I didn't account for when picking clubs were the 20 mph winds today. It turned driver + wedge holes into "holy cow I need to think about this now" holes.

I started off pretty strong even though I turned over my drive a little too much, but I got a free drop off the path and flagged a 56* for a 2' birdie (the first putt I've attempted that counted for a score with my new Spider X, if I missed that... let's not think about it).

I made myself look really stupid on #2 after chunking my 5i, and chunking my 56* since I was at an awkward distance. This is usually what happens when I try to step on my wedges, they just go higher or get chunked. Crappy lie in the bunker for my 4th shot, I was lucky to nearly chip it in once I finally got near the green, and made a 4' breaker to save bogey.

#6 was a mess because I chunked an 8i after a nice 5i off the tee left me 150y with that stiff wind in my face. This was where I started to have issues with my club selections. I normally hit 4i off that tee because 200y off the tee puts you into great position, but in a wind like today I would've took a 5w, maybe even a 3w. Since I was so short I had to step on an 8i and ended up chunking it into the trash which took me 2 shots to get out of.

#8 was another oversight because it's also normally a 4i/5w off the tee because it requires accuracy with water on the left and right, and a very elevated tee shot. In the wind today, there's no way I had a shot at par with hitting 5i back to back so I decided to try and hit a high draw and blocked it straight into the water:

image.png.6c182a550ecbf0f418214a186e6cb5b3.png

#10 is another non-driver hole but you can get away with it if you bail out right, and play from the 11th fairway over the trees that separate the holes. Genius me duck hooked one into the hazard.

The rest of the round was a bunch of careful navigation with my 5i and 8i. I've never hit so many 3/4 shots before, and I don't ever intend to! This was very challenging, but surprisingly I didn't get punished too much by not having my full arsenal of clubs. I definitely could've shot a better score if my driver was working better and didn't cost me 2 penalty strokes, but that's golf! Thanks to @palvord for the invitation, even though it made the round harder, it was still a great time!

Good luck to everyone, and if you guys have any questions feel free!

Edit: sorry I don't have any other pics than the one I posted before I teed off. I actually had to turn my phone data off because it was dying. I finished the round with literally 1% battery.

Image result for literally gif

I know you're not thrilled with the score, but that is pretty dang good shooting in high winds. 

You're experience with needing to hit 3/4 shots or try to step on it with some awkward distances is more what I expected with this kind of a challenge. 

I hope you had fun and all that stuff too.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, yungkory said:

87 with 60% humidity and an ocean breeze sounds a lot like vacation

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, JohnSmalls said:

87 with 60% humidity and an ocean breeze sounds a lot like vacation

Come on guys stop heckling him for living in Paradise. Hot is relative to what you are used too. Plus @robertson153 and @JohnSmalls The southeast isn't really a fair comparison...We chose this hellish climate to live in. But the winters are nice. 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bardle said:

Come on guys stop heckling him for living in Paradise. Hot is relative to what you are used too. Plus @robertson153 and @JohnSmalls The southeast isn't really a fair comparison...We chose this hellish climate to live in. But the winters are nice. 🙂 

Its the freaking Catalina Wine Mix......I mean CCC3 challenge. Heckling is expected and encouraged for far less than living in paradise. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Hi, this is Texas calling. Did someone complain about heat?

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Man, I really love the feedback yall are able to give using the Arccos system. Being a data nerd for a living, it plays right to me.

• Like 3

How does everyone feel about the Connect grips?  Do you wish they were in a different model of grip?

• Like 2

How does everyone feel about the Connect grips?  Do you wish they were in a different model of grip?

I play with Winn Dri Tac midsized grips, I couldn’t find anything that looked similar, so I just went with what looked the closest. I do miss my Winn’s

• Like 4

3 hours ago, goaliewales14 said:

I'm not sure if you are aware but they give you a while bunch of choices for grips. It's not just a single one. They have at least one choice for every preference. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, goaliewales14 said:

I went with mid size grips for my clubs and I am very happy. They have 4 wraps on them so are really chunky. I am so used to them now that when I swing a club with a standard grip it feels like a twig and that it's going to fly out of my hands 😬. The grips are comfortable and have just the right amount of tackiness to impart the utmost confidence 😁😎 (look at me using my fancy words)

• Like 5

4 hours ago, bardle said:

I'm not sure if you are aware but they give you a while bunch of choices for grips. It's not just a single one. They have at least one choice for every preference. 

I just looked and they did a lot better with the offering than when I bought my F8 3 wood.  That makes things a lot nicer! 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, robertson153 said:

I’m gonna go ahead and post my round. Shot a solid 82 10 over. If some putts that I missed by inches would’ve dropped, it would’ve easily been a 78, would’ve should’ve could’ve. Best part about my round was NO doubles, and 2 birdies. When you tee off with a hybrid, it’s not long enough to get in trouble. So here’s the recap.

4 hybrid, 7 iron, PW, 58*
Rating of 71.10
Slope of 129
Gross score of 82 (10 over)

I've never even sniffed 82 with 14 clubs! Great round.

• Like 3

I couldn't get my round in yesterday and have family coming in today so here is my round from last weekend that will have to be good enough. 

Date Played: July 13th
Course: Pinetree CC in Kennesaw, GA
Course Rating/Slope for tees selected: 72.8 / 136
Gross Score: 101
Clubs Used:  3W, 5i, 8i, 54º

It was a weird round. Not many great shots and had several OB tee shots with my 3 wood. I left ALOT of strokes out there. I meant to get another round in yesterday but ended up getting rained out. Still not a bad round for me with 4 clubs from the blues. 

• Like 6