GolfSpy STUDque

If you're trying to catch up, the first post in this thread will always tell you where we stand. 

Message added by GolfSpy STUDque

Next time I wear my Puma hat and shirt I’ll snap a pic. I haven’t been on here much lately, 10 or so weeks of this challenge will do that to ya.
I’ve been struggling lately with my driver, no big secret there, so today I had an impromptu lesson with just my driver. Turns out I was starting my hips to soon and causing me to leave the face open. 2 minutes later, launching them right down the middle. Funny how someone can look at 3-4 swings and tell you one little thing to do that improves everything. Now, can I transfer what I learned tonight to the tee box, we’ll just have to see.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

So, no I didn’t learn a dang thing. Hit 3-4 good drives to start, then it’s like I forgot everything I learned the other night. Looks like more range time/lessons for the near future.

MyGolfSpy is all about honesty and no BS.

It's time for me to come clean.

As of now, I have replaced the Cobra F9 driver in my bag  with the Callaway Rogue.

A little over a year ago, TrueGolfFit launched and I went through the online fitting and was recommended the Callaway Rogue. At the time, the Rogue was way out of my price range, but performed well for me on a launch monitor at a Golf Galaxy.

In the early spring, I was at a golf show, and found the Rogue at a great price. SWMBO gave her blessing, and I walked out with my new toy. I had to wait for the snow to melt and the rain to go away before I could start playing with it on the course.

My few rounds with the Rogue were during the baseline rounds for the challenge. Since the challenge has ended, I have been able to put the Rogue head to head against the F9, and I just cannot keep the Rogue out of the bag.

(Yes it is labeled 3w, as I haven't added an Arccos tag to the club yet, but here are the first 3 drives with the Rogue with no practice with it since May.)
image.png.8401a3509f26d02fb765de46fa37affa.png

image.png.61873dd9e5eefdd96b7984915dfb0136.png

image.png.6ccb655923ada7ae615184669ba28323.png

All of these drives hit the target area I wanted, and were way beyond what I was getting with the F9.

Here is the last drive I hit with the F9:
image.png.8fe9d687effc295fda06fa03aaae8551.png

I don't know if I had a poor fitting with the F9, or if the Rogue is just better for my swing. Kudos to TrueGolfFit for the accuracy of their data matching me up to the Rogue. 

• Like 7

As of now, I have replaced the Cobra F9 driver in my bag  with the Callaway Rogue.
A little over a year ago, TrueGolfFit launched and I went through the online fitting and was recommended the Callaway Rogue. At the time, the Rogue was way out of my price range, but performed well for me on a launch monitor at a Golf Galaxy.
In the early spring, I was at a golf show, and found the Rogue at a great price. SWMBO gave her blessing, and I walked out with my new toy. I had to wait for the snow to melt and the rain to go away before I could start playing with it on the course.
My few rounds with the Rogue were during the baseline rounds for the challenge. Since the challenge has ended, I have been able to put the Rogue head to head against the F9, and I just cannot keep the Rogue out of the bag.
(Yes it is labeled 3w, as I haven't added an Arccos tag to the club yet, but here are the first 3 drives with the Rogue with no practice with it since May.)
All of these drives hit the target area I wanted, and were way beyond what I was getting with the F9.
I don't know if I had a poor fitting with the F9, or if the Rogue is just better for my swing. Kudos to TrueGolfFit for the accuracy of their data matching me up to the Rogue. 

Are the driver shafts, lengths, or lofts drastically different?
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Bucky CC said:

Are the driver shafts, lengths, or lofts drastically different?

The F9 is 9°, with an Atmos Blue Tour Spec shaft that is cut to 44.75".

The Rouge is 10.5°, which I have set to -1°, and the shaft is an Aldila Synergy Blue 50.  

Both shafts are stiff flex. I'm not 100% sure about the complete differences between the shafts other than the length.

• Like 2

Palvord - as they say Numbers Don’t Lie 

Play what works and enjoy!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, palvord said:

Mate you've got to go with what works for you. Great numbers with the Rogue by the way 😁😎

• Like 3

Well, for the time being I’ve sidelined my driver. I can put my 3 wood down the middle with 20-25 yards difference. I’ll gladly take the loss in yards if that means playing from the fairway. The season is winding down in my area, maybe a month to a month and a half left. I’ll come out next spring with a vengeance to get my driver playable. I honestly think it’s in my head. I’ll continue to work with it on the range, maybe I’ll get it going before the first frost. I’ll keep you all updated on the progress. If all else fails, I do have a Callaway Epic Flash in the garage .

• Like 5

image.thumb.jpg.ef2392ab382ab9e3daaa35df6026ba9d.jpg This came as a surprise today!  Looks like Shot Scope has competition now.  Feel like I’m joining yet another part of the CCC3 team

• Like 6

3 hours ago, JohnSmalls said:

image.thumb.jpg.ef2392ab382ab9e3daaa35df6026ba9d.jpg This came as a surprise today!  Looks like Shot Scope has competition now.  Feel like I’m joining yet another part of the CCC3 team

Nice, it will be interesting to see what you think

• Like 3

13 hours ago, JohnSmalls said:

Mine came, too!

20190823_154836.thumb.jpg.8e9ed9784fd38d8e3daee232bc3ce850.jpg

Like @JohnSmalls and @Nunfa0, I am looking forward to comparing after nearly a season with ShotScope V2. Maybe the three of us can work on a compare/contrast thread between the two?

I also reached out to Arccos to ask for their recommendation on how to attach the putter sensor with the counterbalanced shaft. They suggested cutting the threads off and using electrical tape to attach to the grip. I did not cut off all the threads - I left about 1/3 so the sensor would have some "bite" in the grip and then wrapped with tape. It worked out pretty well. For reference, the grip is a SuperStroke Slim 3.0.

20190826_175221.thumb.jpg.e0bc895aaf5da8aab194d04b46e29ef4.jpg

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, MaxEntropy said:

Mine came, too!

Like @JohnSmalls and @Nunfa0, I am looking forward to comparing after nearly a season with ShotScope V2. Maybe the three of us can work on a compare/contrast thread between the two?

I also reached out to Arccos to ask for their recommendation on how to attach the putter sensor with the counterbalanced shaft. They suggested cutting the threads off and using electrical tape to attach to the grip. I did not cut off all the threads - I left about 1/3 so the sensor would have some "bite" in the grip and then wrapped with tape. It worked out pretty well. For reference, the grip is a SuperStroke Slim 3.0.

I like that idea, a lot! What say you @Nunfa0?

The Euro license plate trophy arrived in the mail today.  It will definitely find a prominent place to be displayed in my home.

1105842690_CCClicenseplate800x600.png.4917cb14c7474c60c98973962521b5dd.png

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Bucky CC said:

The Euro license plate trophy arrived in the mail today.  It will definitely find a prominent place to be displayed in my home.

That looks pretty damn slick!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bucky CC said:

That's sweet!

• Like 1

Mine came, too!
Like [mention=70071]JohnSmalls[/mention] and [mention=74192]Nunfa0[/mention], I am looking forward to comparing after nearly a season with ShotScope V2. Maybe the three of us can work on a compare/contrast thread between the two?
That's awesome guys! I can't wait to hear the comparisons between Arccos and Shot Scope. I am absolutely in love with Arccos and really find the data that it provides to be helpful to my game.
That's a great trophy and with all the great competitors here, you earned it. Coming into the year, this was the one review that was on the must reads of the summer. You guys all above and beyond, and have all been great ambassadors of Cobra, Arccos, and MyGolfSpy.

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 3
  • Love 2

18 hours ago, Bucky CC said:

Awesome @Bucky CC, treasure it and enjoy telling the tales of your victory 👏👏🏆😁😎

• Like 2

So some sweet new swag has arrived 😁😎IMG_20190903_003810.thumb.jpg.278a195f3588499615eaa30ac5631f34.jpg

Also I have sold my Hotmetals and my Ping driver is next....

• Like 4
  • Love 4

11 hours ago, Nunfa0 said:

So some sweet new swag has arrived 😁😎

Also I have sold my Hotmetals and my Ping driver is next....

That looks like a pretty sweet prize pack.

Too bad you play lefty or I would have made an offer on your Ping driver.  Seems like I've had a lot of penalties off the tee recently and the Arccos data backs that up.  Driving handicap is by far the worst aspect of my game.

1409417489_Arccoshandicap.JPG.227a10a9f85a09916ed614b1d00aa096.JPG

My first step in trying to right the ship is to try a different shaft in the F9 driver.  When I was swinging all out on the launch monitor the Atmos 7X shaft was a great fit.  On the course when I swing a little more controlled it seems too wild.  I have an order placed for a Project X EvenFlow Blue stiff flex shaft that should come in later this week.  If that doesn't work I may have to go back to the old reliable Epic Sub Zero.

Here are the stats for my Epic Sub Zero at the beginning of the year.  It was shorter, but definitely more accurate.

411083292_Epicstats.JPG.1b26853c33d0522de398e5dc10bd270d.JPG

And here is the F9.  Smart distance up 13 yards but accuracy down 15.7%. 

1754126430_CobraF9.JPG.e33755c77291683e7a06d64d6c2d745d.JPG

• Like 4

I’m still grinding with the speedbacks. It has finally happened, my trending handicap is 9.3!! I’ve waited so long to be a single digit. My driver is still hit and miss, if it wasn’t for that, I could see me in the low 8s for sure. I feel like I’m in the same boat as Bucky, on the LM I was swinging 90-95%, on the course I’m trying to be more conservative and only swing 80% or so. Might need to go from a 6.5 to a 6.0, I’ll keep tinkering and we’ll see what happens.

• Like 7

Took almost a full month off from Golf due to a little bit of burnout but mostly because my child is at an age where I just love spending time with her and I hate to miss anything. 

But...

My in-laws are in due to the hurricane so I went off and played 9 yesterday afternoon and had a great time. Ended up shooting a 47 with 3, 3 putts.  So apart from putting ability, it looks like I didn't lose anything due to the time off. I felt great and am getting the driver back under control.

It turns out that wrist hinge was causing some massive slices and inaccuracies with my driver, I can't recall if that was the issue during the challenge but the time off helped me pick up some things I may not have been noticing at the time. I'll keep you updated as I get back out there in this freaking gorgeous, almost fall weather. 

• Like 6