TESTERS WANTED! ×

Course Playability Factor - CPF

I like the way you think Plaid! Great idea!

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

1 minute ago, Shankster said:

You should Plaident that.

*groans*

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

My feeling is that people that go to a fitting already know what length of course they can reasonably play, or should be playing.  The ones we see that play from the wrong tees probably have never been to a fitting and probably wouldn't go anyway.  But I like the idea!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I know which tees I should be playing .... my problem is that the group that I play with (about 24-30) require me to play from the tees further back.  They set an arbitrary age of 70 to move to the blue tees.  Interestingly enough, the club tournaments place me on the blue tees because their age requirement is significantly lower than 70!  I can still play the gold tees (mens) but I enjoy playing the senior tees (blue) much more because I'm not hitting a long iron or fairway metal into every green!

But, I like your idea Plaid!  I think far too many higher handicap players play from the back tees for ego reasons.   If you can still shoot in the 70's from the back tees, good on you -- stay there.  But, if you're struggling from those back tees and the par 3s are requiring you to hit your driver, by all means, drop your ego at the door and move forward and enjoy the game again.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

The fitters job is to find the best fit for the customer and sell clubs. The monitor software would need to be tweaked to provide that and there need to be a business need for companies to make that tweak.

Most golfers know where they should play from and ego gets in the way. Course layout has as much to do with playability as does the distance on the scorecard. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I think this is on the right track, but ive played with plenty of guys that can hit it 270+ yet don't have any business being on the back tees. There's more to being a highly skilled golfer than how far you can hit driver.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

15 minutes ago, ED13 said:

How many men want to be told they should play further up?  Egos can be easily bruised.

None that I know of. But it's funny.... a few years ago I made the decision that I needed to make the long overdue decision to move a tee so to speak. I was consistently playing longer approaches than a lot of guys I normally played with. I was at a disadvantage to them and the course and they loved it. Then one day when I finally moved up they bitched and groaned because now I was with them in the fairway off the tee. Their advantage evaporated. Truth be told... they have also lost distance and a few of them have moved up as well. Funny how that works sometimes. LOL

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Interestingly enough, I have always played about 6900 yards at my home course. I never realized that it is actually fairly further than most courses. I generally hit the ball pretty far (7 iron from 190 yards- 200 if i hit it hard) so I never really noticed it being an insanely long course. I really want to see and play a course where it would really challenge me and force me to hit 5 irons into greens to see what I would end up shooting.

WITB 2019

Driver: :taylormade-small:Taylormade M2 8.5 w/ Xstiff Aldila RIP Beta shaft

2 Iron: :taylormade-small:Talormade P790 UDI 17 degree w/ Hazardus Xstiff driver shaft

4-PW: :taylormade-small:Taylormade PSI iron w/ KBS C-taper stiff iron shafts

52 degree: :cleveland-small:Cleveland RTX 3

56 degree: :callaway-small:Callaway Mac Daddy 4

60 degree-::taylormade-small:Taylormade milled grind

Putter: :cameron-small:Scotty Cameron Dual Balance X5

Ball::titelist-small:ProV1x

I automatically head for the white tees and rarely give it (course yardage, slope, etc.) much thought. For the caliber of courses I typically play, they seem appropriate for my game. Some courses, like Las Barancas in Yuma, have 5 tees and they are listed/recommended based on handicap. It seems most course layouts have the tee lengths matched well to the histogram of player ability - whether the player allows ego to choose the wrong tee is another matter.  Perhaps in addition to a handicap, we should have a "carry length index" (CDI) which you must show to the starter and/or marshals. 😉

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/19/2019 at 12:59 PM, bmaru99 said:

Interestingly enough, I have always played about 6900 yards at my home course. I never realized that it is actually fairly further than most courses. I generally hit the ball pretty far (7 iron from 190 yards- 200 if i hit it hard) so I never really noticed it being an insanely long course. I really want to see and play a course where it would really challenge me and force me to hit 5 irons into greens to see what I would end up shooting.

Occasionally use only hybrids or long irons off every tee.  That would give you an idea how you would play longer courses.

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

• 1 month later...
On 6/9/2019 at 11:25 PM, CarlH said:

I know which tees I should be playing .... my problem is that the group that I play with (about 24-30) require me to play from the tees further back.  They set an arbitrary age of 70 to move to the blue tees.  Interestingly enough, the club tournaments place me on the blue tees because their age requirement is significantly lower than 70!  I can still play the gold tees (mens) but I enjoy playing the senior tees (blue) much more because I'm not hitting a long iron or fairway metal into every green!

But, I like your idea Plaid!  I think far too many higher handicap players play from the back tees for ego reasons.   If you can still shoot in the 70's from the back tees, good on you -- stay there.  But, if you're struggling from those back tees and the par 3s are requiring you to hit your driver, by all means, drop your ego at the door and move forward and enjoy the game again.

I'm trying to convince our regular group that 50 should be the cutoff for shorter tees.  After all, the pros move onto the Senior Tour don't they?

:ping-small:G410 plus driver,:taylormade-small:Aeroburner 3W, :cobra-small:F6 Baffler 
:callaway-small:XR 4, 5 hybrids
:titleist-small:2021 T300 6 - GW, SW irons
:callaway-small: Mack Daddy CB 58/12 wedge
Axis1 Rose putter

Alternates: Srixon ZX4 MKII irons

10 minutes ago, Dr Strangelove said:

I'm trying to convince our regular group that 50 should be the cutoff for shorter tees.  After all, the pros move onto the Senior Tour don't they?

its about ability not age- imagine a 4 ball of Tom Watsons all being told they need to move up....lol

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

45 minutes ago, Dr Strangelove said:

I've always liked the idea of "age plus handicap" to determine tees for events.  For recreational rounds, play whatever tees you want.  🙂

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

As a side note to this topic I've become very interested in the Long Leaf System. I've mentioned it before in another post somewhere.

Take a look at this and see what you think... Makes good sense to me.

http://www.longleafteesystem.com/#our-purpose

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

• 3 weeks later...

This wasn’t what I was thinking it would be when I checked in - it’s actually better.

The soft ware could be tweaked to show a guy what clubs the average tour player uses for his approach shots and then the course length that particular guy would need to be at to play like a pro.

Instead of playability factor or tee if forward how about play it like they do. Or some other title that gets a guy pumped for the challenge - he’s trying to equal what pros do.

I like the idea

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I think the club fitting business is overlooking a big opportunity to help golfers even more. As many of us know; playing properly fit golf golf equipment is important. I believe a large population of this forum already have that and understand the benefits of playing clubs fit to your swing and ability. However, I think club fitters are missing an opportunity to help golfers even more.
At the end of a fitting session club fitter should IMO present a recommendation to their customers for the optimal course length they should be playing. They've already gathered all the data and know how far their customer hits the ball. Driver and irons. Generally speaking a fitting strives to add distance and tighten up the customers shot disbursement. Yes, I know there are many more data points; but increasing a customers distance is usually the King of club fitting. Therefore, at the end of the fitting the club fitter should also be able to present to their customer a range of acceptable yardages they should consider playing from. For example:  6,300 - 6,500 yards. Or perhaps 6,800 - 7,000. Maybe 5,800 - 6,000. The launch monitor will automatically calculate the CPF based on the data gathered.
As we all know - men especially; play from the wrong tee (too long!) all to often. So, at the end of the fitting -  the fitter hands the customer their data sheet with all the information gathered during the session which also includes a recommended or suggested course length/yardage. Perhaps it's called the CPF - Course Playability Factor. 
1.5200 - 5500
2. 5600 - 5900
3. 6000 - 6300
4. 6400 - 6650
5. 6800 - 7000+

Great post;
This process is “encouraged” in The Villages.
The teaching Pros I know, local News Paper and Starter Shacks has this posted.
We have WAY too many guys who believe they’re the 30 year old studs from 49 years ago. Our golf groups have adopted this type of thinking and has somewhat worked. There’s always that 10% that want to play poorly from the tips instead of decently from the proper yardage.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

On 8/20/2019 at 9:28 AM, Dr Strangelove said:

I play with guys that are 50+ that can play from the tips and shoot close to even par they would laugh if they were told they have to move up.

Distances especially off the tee are better determining factor. 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

I play with guys that are 50+ that can play from the tips and shoot close to even par they would laugh if they were told they have to move up.

Definitely. I’ve played with 70 year olds that are still players and can handle the longer yardage. I’m not one of them.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Definitely like this idea.

Many have already stated. Most golfers who play to a mid handicap or better know what yardages they are comfortable playing on. This would be a great way to show newer or less experienced players a target yardage to play from based on their launch monitor stats.

Driver:  :PXG: 311XF Gen5, Tensei CK Pro Orange, S flex

Fariway:  :PXG: 311XF Gen6 3-Wood, Tensei Blue 55g R flex

Hybrid:   :PXG: 211, 3H Project X Evenflow H, 80g, 5.5

:titleist-small: TSR2 4H, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester)

Irons:  :titleist-small: T200 2023, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester), 5-GW

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: CBX2 Zipcore  52*, 56* Project X Catalyst Spinner Graphite Shaft

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2 Murdered Out

Depends on the tips - at 50 I was a 2 - I could handle many but not all courses from the tips. But to do it i was already hitting a lot of long shots into the green - I learned how to do it.

55 is the definition of senior for ams BTW. I dropped to a 1 at 55 because I moved up a set of tees. :)

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Depends on the tips - at 50 I was a 2 - I could handle many but not all courses from the tips. But to do it i was already hitting a lot of long shots into the green - I learned how to do it.

55 is the definition of senior for ams BTW. I dropped to a 1 at 55 because I moved up a set of tees. :)

When I arrived here at TV, 65 years old I started playing on Men’s Day on the Execs. 70 and under had to play from back tees. A lot of these Par 3’s are 175+ and a number of guys under 70 had trouble getting there.
At 70 you became a Super Senior and can play from whatever Tee you wanted which is OK except closet to the pin $$ changed and they had a formula devised to figure all that out.
I started @ 70 to play on the Big Boy Men’s day and super Seniors can play from forward Tees also. I didn’t last long , that’s when the knees and shoulders started falling off.

Rick

Left Hand, 

I read an article about the LongLeaf System (on Golf Advisor, I think?); great concept but possibly too complicated and costly for many - especially public - courses. And then there's the big issue of "compliance" - as already well discussed here, will the players who really need it, heed its guidance and actually do so..??

Another wacky idea I have is to add a string of small yardage signs along the length of the teeing ground, indicating the *carry* distance to get into the preferred landing zone in the fairway. Then each player tees up where appropriate / comfortable for their game.
(Sidenote: this scheme NOT appropriate for tournament nor handicap play, as it would throw off the course ratings from the defined tees.)

Anyway, Plaid, I love the idea but agree with KennyB above, re: most people who are getting fitted are more likely the knowledgeable golfer who is well aware of the proper tee for them. But providing the info as a general rule of thumb, it couldn't hurt!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

This year the OGA Course (Oregon Golf Association) in Woodburn, OR went to numbered tees.  They put out a lot of notices on where people should play and even had a swing speed monitor set up to help people that had no idea what the clubhead speed was.  From their website...

Our new “numbered” tees have been developed through combined research published by both the PGA of America and the USGA.  The use of numbers will assist all golfers in finding the MOST ENJOYABLE yardage for their clubhead speed.   Gender, age and handicap based tee assignments have missed the mark for a majority of players.

Equality in Golf should allow all players to play similar clubs into the greens on their approach.  So, if your clubhead speed is under 75 mph, the number one set is for you.  Between 70 and 85 makes you a candidate for the number two markers.  Number three tee is best suited for those with 90 plus mph and the number four is for those with and excess of 100 mph.

The bottom line is this; you should be able to enjoy the game in a fashion similar to the high level players.  This means playing a club into the green that will a) get there, and b) stop when it lands. 

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

9 hours ago, Kenny B said:

This year the OGA Course (Oregon Golf Association) in Woodburn, OR went to numbered tees.  They put out a lot of notices on where people should play and even had a swing speed monitor set up to help people that had no idea what the clubhead speed was.  From their website...

Our new “numbered” tees have been developed through combined research published by both the PGA of America and the USGA.  The use of numbers will assist all golfers in finding the MOST ENJOYABLE yardage for their clubhead speed.   Gender, age and handicap based tee assignments have missed the mark for a majority of players.

Equality in Golf should allow all players to play similar clubs into the greens on their approach.  So, if your clubhead speed is under 75 mph, the number one set is for you.  Between 70 and 85 makes you a candidate for the number two markers.  Number three tee is best suited for those with 90 plus mph and the number four is for those with and excess of 100 mph.

The bottom line is this; you should be able to enjoy the game in a fashion similar to the high level players.  This means playing a club into the green that will a) get there, and b) stop when it lands. 

Playing OGA this Thursday.  I will check it out. 

Im 52 and can play the tips at most places but prefer not to as its not fun for me to hit driver and longer irons every par 4.  It's not even always the distance that gets me from the tips, its the narrow chutes to find the fairways on many boxes. 

I play with a guy who is 69 and was a 4 hdcp but is up to a 12 or so.  I give him strokes when we play the same box.  When he moves up we play straight up and its a much more enjoyable game for him.  When the wet Oregon weather arrives, I will probably move up a box as it creates similar approaches for  once it dries out. 

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

I'm not so sure everyone really "knows" what tees they should be hitting from. Maybe I'm an odd case, but I am almost a 15 hdcp, but can drive ~300yds. So there's plenty of courses around here that, if I don't play the tips, it's a ton of just driver-wedge (shows you how bad my short game is 😅), but from the tips I'm certainly not burning down the course.

Would the recommendation for someone like me be to play up a box or two, and learn to improve my control? And just be okay taking primarily shorter clubs off the tee rather than driver?

Right Handed

Driver: 9° :cobra-small: Speedzone (HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g X-Stiff shaft)

2 Hybrid: 18° :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

3/Driving Iron: 18° :Hogan: UiHi Iron (MMT Utility TX 105g shaft)

Irons: 4-GW :titelist-small: T100 irons (Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff shafts) (2021 MGS Official Review here)

Wedges: 54° & 58° post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: MAXFLI Tour X

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

WITB thread here

3 hours ago, ncwoz said:

I'm not so sure everyone really "knows" what tees they should be hitting from. Maybe I'm an odd case, but I am almost a 15 hdcp, but can drive ~300yds. So there's plenty of courses around here that, if I don't play the tips, it's a ton of just driver-wedge (shows you how bad my short game is 😅), but from the tips I'm certainly not burning down the course.

Would the recommendation for someone like me be to play up a box or two, and learn to improve my control? And just be okay taking primarily shorter clubs off the tee rather than driver?

To me it doesn’t matter where one plays if they are enjoying themselves. For some that may be shooting low scores, others it may be testing their abilities at a longer distance or whatever gives them joy while being out.

the problem is when a group is slowing down the course and that can happen at any distance. Course setup plays a role as much as just some golfers are slow no matter what tees they play from.