Testers Wanted! Shot Scope V5 ×

KZG Irons

Jondagcl

I'm in the market for new irons. I've read a little online about KZG, but not enough to really be able to make any sort of informed decision. I know that they have a fitting center here in SoCal...other than that I have no idea on prices, or how these irons compare to similar "big brand" irons.

My idea is to sort of look at a more boutique offering, but not something that breaks the bank.

What I have read on other message boards is mixed, some outstanding reviews, some bad.

Is there anyone on here familiar with these clubs, their price points, fitting process and overall impressions of the product.

I like their blades and evolution line.

I'm in the market for new irons. I've read a little online about KZG, but not enough to really be able to make any sort of informed decision. I know that they have a fitting center here in SoCal...other than that I have no idea on prices, or how these irons compare to similar "big brand" irons.

My idea is to sort of look at a more boutique offering, but not something that breaks the bank.

What I have read on other message boards is mixed, some outstanding reviews, some bad.

Is there anyone on here familiar with these clubs, their price points, fitting process and overall impressions of the product.

I like their blades and evolution line.

They make a great forged blade iron. A friend of mine that runs a cutom club shop was a dealer for them but they bcame too pricey for his customers. If you have a good custom fitter in your area and if price is not a consideration I say go for it they do make an outstanding product.

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I used to sell KZG's and played between 2-13 clubs in the bag from 1999-2008.

i found the price points, options, availability, and people to be fantastic.

never had an issue with their cast irons, forged wedges, or woods.

only reason i stopped playing them was when i put my blades against my current set of tm tp's irons it was no comparison. i was losing considerable distance with the kzg blades. if thats not an issue - go for it!

:cobra-small: Staffer 

:Arccos: Staffer 

www.MANAVIANGolf.com

Thanks manavs. That's the kind of info I am looking for. I am planning on getting these in the next couple of months. I sent an email to the company to get some more info as well.

While I wouldn't necessarily want to lose distance I am looking for something that has a little more feel and workability than my x-20 tours. They are a good iron and very forgiving, but they feel clunky. So I am looking for a something like the evolutions...a bit of forgiveness with the ability to work the ball a bit. I guess I'll find out exactly what I need in a fitting.

I fit and sold many sets of evo's. they are a beautiful looking set of irons, great progression. the common issue again is their forgings tend to be very soft which is good for bending purposes but you'll get very traditional distances. you'll also want to get the lies and lofts checked out often to make sure that they havent gone out of whack. depending on how much you play i'd say check them 2x's a season

www.MANAVIANGolf.com

I fit and sold many sets of evo's. they are a beautiful looking set of irons, great progression. the common issue again is their forgings tend to be very soft which is good for bending purposes but you'll get very traditional distances. you'll also want to get the lies and lofts checked out often to make sure that they havent gone out of whack. depending on how much you play i'd say check them 2x's a season

I used to be a KZG dealer too.

The products were (I felt) very top notch. Well designed, well manufactured and well priced. Plus most of their irons were very tastefully looking.

I would say you'd be hard pressed to find softer and better feeling forged offerings…but they did lose massive distances from the rest of the offerings on the market….the owner of the company is a psychopath.

You can only buy them from a KZG dealer and can only get (warranty) replacement parts from a KZG dealer…and due to the lunatic behavior of their head office, dealers are discontinuing the KZG line up (like we did)…so there is always the possibility you may not get support down the road as you are now…but ya never know…heck, maybe a FEW new ones will pop up in your area!

Interesting. Ok, well hey I guess if they make a good product that can be overlooked right?

I did end up getting an email back from the company. Incredibly professional and very detailed. If money were no object I would of jumped right on those evolutions. The fitting process that was described looks like nothing I've been through before and I've always had my clubs "fit". These guys take it to the next level it looks like. Not to mention, as you guys described, the clubs look great!

My issue now is price, it looks like these evo's may go over my budget. .

Interesting. Ok, well hey I guess if they make a good product that can be overlooked right?

I did end up getting an email back from the company. Incredibly professional and very detailed. If money were no object I would of jumped right on those evolutions. The fitting process that was described looks like nothing I've been through before and I've always had my clubs "fit". These guys take it to the next level it looks like. Not to mention, as you guys described, the clubs look great!

My issue now is price, it looks like these evo's may go over my budget. .

They are not cheap...and they are not allowed to advertise below retail...but I can assure you the dealers work on GREAT margins....if you reach out to one and ask their best price, you might be pleasantly surprised.

• SPY VIP

I used to be a KZG dealer too.

The products were (I felt) very top notch. Well designed, well manufactured and well priced. Plus most of their irons were very tastefully looking.

I would say you'd be hard pressed to find softer and better feeling forged offerings…but they did lose massive distances from the rest of the offerings on the market….the owner of the company is a psychopath.

You can only buy them from a KZG dealer and can only get (warranty) replacement parts from a KZG dealer…and due to the lunatic behavior of their head office, dealers are discontinuing the KZG line up (like we did)…so there is always the possibility you may not get support down the road as you are now…but ya never know…heck, maybe a FEW new ones will pop up in your area!

It's sad, but I've heard this story countless times now. The general takeaway is that unless you're one of KZG's top handful of dealers, the company more or less could give a damn about you. It's next to impossible to get inventory replenished because stock is always allocated to bigger dealers, and when you call to protest, you get hung up on.

Psychopath is actually one of the kindest adjectives I've heard used to describe the owner/CEO.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

It's sad, but I've heard this story countless times now. The general takeaway is that unless you're one of KZG's top handful of dealers, the company more or less could give a damn about you. It's next to impossible to get inventory replenished because stock is always allocated to bigger dealers, and when you call to protest, you get hung up on.

Psychopath is actually one of the kindest adjectives I've heard used to describe the owner/CEO.

Sadly, it is true…at one point the owner called me directly to tell me I was one of the top dealers in the mdwest and by far, #1 in our state. She showered me with praise and asked me to come out as her guest to their clubmaking clinic in No. Hollywood…and I think had I been there, she would have blown me.

Then, in May 2008, the Cedar Rapids floods hit…both shops under water, all courses closed the remainder of the year..we lost tens of thousands of dollars of non-insurable components.

Went to place my next KZG order in October and was told that due to my poor sales numbers, I was no longer a dealer unless I plopped down an order for $2,000 of inventory.

Now why would I buy that much inventory, knowing full well, it might be replaced by newer models in two months?

I told them about the floods the week it happened…sent my sales rep pictures….they did not give a damn.

To be fair, I always enjoyed speaking with Jennifer at KZG - calling her a psychopath imo is a bit much (real psychopaths are much much worse). I had years without an issue. Always took care of me for personal use clubs, quick turnaround, hand picked items to spec, and even when I wrote my book they were very glad to send a bag, clubs, and a worldwide list of clubfitters for the index.

With that said they had implemented a hard and fast policy that did not waiver. unless you sold $XXX of product you were going to be dropped as a retailer. i disagreed with it, but i can respect their decision to have a policy and stick to it and wished them well.

i also believe, as this thread has indicated, that by implementing this policy their company image has suffered. still are known as great clubs, but too many retailers have been rubbed the wrong way and in todays available options, its easy to suggest a different brand and pass them over.

www.MANAVIANGolf.com

I've never used their irons per say but the shafts for my Mizuno's came from them. Excellent shaft, decent price, super hassle to get and have installed. The performance seems to be worth the effort though.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

Thanks for the input on the irons folks. I did want to the add, so that the thread stays balanced here - that both of my inquiries with the company and a nearby dealer were very professional and detailed. Both went through great efforts to educate me about the product even though I was very candid about the fact that I would not even by buying for a few months. They treated me like I was in the store ready to buy and as a priority. 

I was emailed back super fast by a very professional rep that knew his stuff inside and out from KZG within 24 hours of an inquiry.  

And as was suggested I did end up calling a local dealer who again ended up being super knowledgeable about the products and fitting process. 

I certainly don't want to discount anyones personal experience. But to be fair I wanted to add that as a prospective customer I have been treated pretty well so far by the company itself and a dealer. 

I used to sell KZG's and played between 2-13 clubs in the bag from 1999-2008.

i found the price points, options, availability, and people to be fantastic.

never had an issue with their cast irons, forged wedges, or woods.

only reason i stopped playing them was when i put my blades against my current set of tm tp's irons it was no comparison. i was losing considerable distance with the kzg blades. if thats not an issue - go for it!

Well being in the club business you know all of the new clubs have less loft than all blades especially TM. KZG blades are about the same loft overall as most older blades (ie Macgregor or Wilson) I love my blades and i do sacrifice distance though. I just cannot seem to work the ball as well with the newer clubs. But that is just me. I know some of the newer clubs are hotter off the face also.

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Well being in the club business you know all of the new clubs have less loft than all blades especially TM. KZG blades are about the same loft overall as most older blades (ie Macgregor or Wilson) I love my blades and i do sacrifice distance though. I just cannot seem to work the ball as well with the newer clubs. But that is just me. I know some of the newer clubs are hotter off the face also.

yeah i'm well aware, i could resist when i was getting 215 yards carry on a tm tp r7 6iron compared to my 171yard kzg blades. playing professionally it just didnt make sense to keep my blades.

www.MANAVIANGolf.com

Archived