bardle

MGS Officially Unofficial P.A.T.T.S thread

20 minutes ago, Mmdanz said:

Now where's the thread for excellent tee shots, horrible follow-up shots, and still making par? 

Yeah, I agree.  I drive the ball pretty well, but I have a couple of those every round.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Yeah, I agree.  I drive the ball pretty well, but I have a couple of those every round.

#1 at my home track is a par 4 with water long and left of the green. I couldn't tell you how many sand/gap wedges have made their way into that water.. LOL 

How does it go again? "Nice drive, nice five" 😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Mmdanz said:

#1 at my home track is a par 4 with water long and left of the green. I couldn't tell you how many sand/gap wedges have made their way into that water.. LOL 

How does it go again? "Nice drive, nice five" 😅

I would be surprised if I won't have the most posts in that thread. 🤣😱

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

Arccos should track those stats. I'd like a little blue ribbon saying "fewest bladed wedges" once in a while. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

Let's see... Scratch vs 9... I have to have 9 more than you, at least!!  🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Mmdanz said:

Now where's the thread for excellent tee shots, horrible follow-up shots, and still making par? 

That thread would be the most posted in on MGS. Guaranteed. 

• Like 2

I had doubts that I'd ever get to post on this thread, as usually a bad drive leads to bogey or worse for me. But today I pull hooked a drive on 4 that left me with a second shot having to go over a tree, and I hit the green! Two putts later, and I can say I had a P.A.T.T.S. Screenshot_20190705-153237-01.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 7

Par 5 number 2 at highland creek in Charlotte area. I just birdied hole number 1. Get to the tee box and decide it is reachable with a good drive. So I decided to hit driver, that was a big mistake, it was a nice fade that was really just a 40 yard slice and into the abyss. Take my drop from the red stake area in the appropriate place. Hit a nice straight 3 hybrid to the 100 yard marker area. Hit my next shot from 105 to 6 inches, easy par. The one nice thing that I figured out about the greens is that wherever the ball landed on the green it usually stayed within a few inches of that spot. I was able to just flag hunt all day with every club. 

My second P.A.T.T in that round was hole 8 where I pushed my tee shot into the tree on the short par 4. My hybrid, it went about 150 yards, which left me 230 to the green with a creek 20 yards short, I hit the same hybrid to 5 feet, the birdie putt was 3/4 of the way down before popping back out. 

• Like 5

It wasn't super dramatic, nor did it involve a penalty, but I badly and weakly flared my drive to the right - I felt my right elbow fly away on the backswing, knew it didn't feel right and am guessing I decelerated on the downswing. Normally a decent drive results in a wedge for me, at worst. A really good drive can be a decent chip if you get a hard bounce. I had a 6 iron from the previous tee box that I pushed right a bit, then a decent chip and a 1-putt for par. "Drive" was 190, 6 iron was 180. That just ain't right.

18.png.566cf4e5f8becefe172a637c718ad936.png

• Like 5

Had two contenders from yesterday but this was my favorite.  On the par 4, 14th, hit absolutely horrendous drive. One of the most beautiful shanky slices you’ll ever witness. Ended up with 210 left to the middle of the green:0E2B378C-0845-477C-8D93-F0061DA93A3C.thumb.jpeg.f3817feb9d5fa375a6234d95372d30e5.jpeg

After some deliberation on club choice I ended up pulling 3 hybrid and flushed it. Ball rolled just off the back right of the green:BFDBEFD8-4FD3-4068-BFDD-9666F111DAB9.thumb.jpeg.776455ff8b671e51f157727b3393b361.jpeg

Which set up a nice little up and down with the ever trusty ER2. 

9D743950-B1C6-401F-A445-6718C5E0BC9A.jpeg.73741311cef18cedecc2e99aa80ce953.jpeg

• Like 6

1 minute ago, JohnSmalls said:

Had two contenders from yesterday but this was my favorite.  On the par 4, 14th, hit absolutely horrendous drive. One of the most beautiful shanky slices you’ll ever witness. Ended up with 210 left to the middle of the green:0E2B378C-0845-477C-8D93-F0061DA93A3C.thumb.jpeg.f3817feb9d5fa375a6234d95372d30e5.jpeg

After some deliberation on club choice I ended up pulling 3 hybrid and flushed it. Ball rolled just off the back right of the green:BFDBEFD8-4FD3-4068-BFDD-9666F111DAB9.thumb.jpeg.776455ff8b671e51f157727b3393b361.jpeg

Which set up a nice little up and down with the ever trusty ER2. 

EB603774-CA2D-4E29-9EB9-7E0F050531C5.thumb.png.93a6463848b51e616ce9cbd060a51967.png

Nice 2nd, very impressive recovery.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, M. Parsons said:

Nice 2nd, very impressive recovery.

Thanks!  Yesterday was a day full of scrambling.  Those trees almost snagged that second shot.  But take enough swings and you get lucky every once in a while!

• Like 3

Played 18 on a new .. tough .. course a few days ago, and - happily - had mostly *good* tee shots! Sorry to say the bad ones did not yield any pars ... but I do hope to contribute a "PATTS" here soon...

Love the other posts - some pretty awesome recovery shots in there guys!!!

• Like 4

Hole 14, pulled tee shot into the trees right, hit out across the fairway into the rough to about 90 yards, hit wedge to 12 feet, made the putt for par. 

• Like 5

I don’t know if this qualifies or not but I’m going to throw it up here anyway. 3rd hole is a par 5 dog leg left. 200 straight is as far as you can hit it. You can, sometimes, hit it over trees on left at about 240 and give it a go in 2. Well I tried today and didn’t quite make it. Hits tree and takes big bounce back and left. Have about 240 back to fairway over more 6th tee box, 5th green and more trees. After waiting for everyone to clear off those spots I hit 5w and hit it well but not good enough. Hits top of tree and drops straight down. Now have 165 and have to hit low drawing 7 iron. Hit it perfect, best shot all day. Drain 30 footer for birdie. The artistic red line I drew is how the hole is supposed to be played. 436A375E-D719-4695-B8C0-C358A16B4114.thumb.jpeg.59533d019023f11170b91b3cfd463e79.jpeg

• Like 6

IMG_1220.JPG

Oh there’s this one from today. Windy, wet, 213 was into the wind, plugged. Had 185 to the middle and shoved it right, short sided in thick rough.

Tried the flop that turned into the sh...nk. So now I’m staring at a tougher pitch but from a better lie. Pitched it in for par!!!

Ruined the great feeling on the next hoke after hitting it on in 2 on a par 5 and three putting. :(

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 5

This past Saturday in league play. 18th at the Innisbrook Resort's Copperhead course. 

http://www.innisbrookgolfresort.com/pdf/innisbrook-copperhead-yardage-card.pdf

The final hole of Copperhead's 'Snake Pit' finishing run. Tee shot was pushed to the right and dropped into the first of the right side fairway bunkers (not a terribly struck shot, but a terrible result). That left me with 150 to the green, good lie in the bunker, with the bank/lip of the bunker about 2 feet above the ball but with probably enough to play to the green with 7 iron.

Hit slightly behind the ball on the bunker shot, so did not make the green but advanced the ball about 60 yards into the right side rough.

Next shot was a 'hat tipper' of a 3/4 wedge that never left the line to the flag and stopped about 1-1/2 behind the hole.

Tapped in for my par of the day and a P.A.T.T.S. to remember

I also made par from the trees left of number 6, but that was an unobstructed iron shot and a GIR. 

Here's a mental game insight I'll share because of the theme of this thread. After both of those tee shots (and after many other bad/poor/terrible tee shots) since they were still in play without a penalty involved I said "I've still got par from there", or I'll say to my partners "I can make par from there". Sometimes it gets a laugh. But, it is a good way for me to advance my mindset past the immediate frustration of the bad shot and maintain some confidence that I have enough competence with recovery shots (punch shots/bunker shots etc) to advance the ball to a position to get to the green and make a putt for par.

• Like 7

I had two this weekend on back to back holes:
image.png.89034014d61d96effb0c5fce4ab86175.png

This one, I cold topped the 3w, and then relied on my 5i to get me back into play. A crazy good sand shot and 1 putt saved a par on this long par 5.

The very next hole:
image.png.2c6aa4eecb96e03c2dd4139ec3c867cd.png

I smashed the 3w, but so far offline to the left. I was against a rock wall needing to hit up a hill. I punched the 7i into the side of the hill, and was able to get it to roll to the top and rest. Another good pitch shot and 1 putt saved par.

The more I really look at the game, the more I have learned that the short game is how you can save strokes. The ability to get up and down from any situation is possibly the best way to lower your score. I need to find a better practice facility to really work at honing this skill.

• Like 7

13 hours ago, GregB135 said:

"I can make par from there". Sometimes it gets a laugh. But, it is a good way for me to advance my mindset past the immediate frustration of the bad shot and maintain some confidence that I have enough competence with recovery shots (punch shots/bunker shots etc) to advance the ball to a position to get to the green and make a putt for par.

13 hours ago, palvord said:

The more I really look at the game, the more I have learned that the short game is how you can save strokes. The ability to get up and down from any situation is possibly the best way to lower your score.

I don't have anything new to add -- I just really like these two excellent insights into *playing* this wonderful, crazy game we all love. 

• Like 3

On 7/21/2019 at 11:04 PM, revkev said:

Ruined the great feeling on the next hoke after hitting it on in 2 on a par 5 and three putting. 😞

Ooohhh... What's the only thing worse than a three putt bogey? 

😜 Been there enough that last year's fantasy football team name was 'Three Putt Pars'

• Like 1