TESTERS WANTED! ×

Heft / MOI club fitting

Have anyone tried to fit your clubs, from first of all using your best iron as a baseline, and then changing the swingweight of the rest of your clubs, so the MOI was similar/same as the favorite?

I saw an interesting article, where the swingweigts basicly changed 1.3 seingweight for every inch the shaft/club changed..

For instance if your 7 iron was D1, then the 8 iron would be D1.65 and the 9 iron was D2.3 and so on.. (5 iron would be C9.7)

I tried this on a HONMA LB280 ironset I got for cheap, because the 4,5 and 6 irons felt so much better than the rest of the irons (set is 3-11 iron)..

So I tried the 1.3 swingweight change for every inch and I was very surprised (and glad) that it actually worked! (For me anyway)..

So my question is if anyone has tried this or something similar?

IMG_8283.JPG

I know it's a popular way to do it. It requires a lot of DIY knowledge and some equipment, but I know it's popular. I have never tried it myself but some people absolutely swear by it. 

There's never been any evidence I've seen that it works better then traditional weighting, it has lots of subjective evidence of individuals claiming how great it is. If it works for you, go for it. 

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

I could be nice, if #mygolfspy tested both traditionally weighted irons vs. MOI / heft weighting.. 

Only reason I tried it, was because the 7-10 irons felt 'funny'.. -I even used this method for my driver/wood/hybrid and so far it seems like it works. 

4 hours ago, Claus Moeller said:

I could be nice, if #mygolfspy tested both traditionally weighted irons vs. MOI / heft weighting.. 

Only reason I tried it, was because the 7-10 irons felt 'funny'.. -I even used this method for my driver/wood/hybrid and so far it seems like it works. 

I honestly don't think it's a popular enough method for MGS to bother testing it, a lot of their testing revolves around the average golfer and people who are changing the swightweights of their own clubs I don't think qualify.

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

• 1 month later...

http://wishongolf.com/clubmakers/matching-golf-clubs-by-moi/

http://www.tutelman.com/golf/clubs/index.php

Tom Wishon details the MOI matching model.  Dave Tutelman provides a more scientific analysis of MOI and his personal MOI matching observations.   I prefer MOI matching with the length progression of clubs  3/8" so the long irons are shorter.  

“Think well of all, be patient with all, and try to find the good in all.”-- Muhammad Ali

⛳ WITB 2024 Edition

• Woods: :cobra-small: LTDx [10.5*, :kbs: TD LE 60; :cobra-small: RadSpeed Tour [17.5*], :kbs: TD Gloss 70;
  • Hybrid: :cobra-small: King Tec 2019 [21*], :kbs: TD LE 60; :mizuno-small: Pro Fli Hi [4ui], :aerotech: Steelfiber HLS880;
  • Irons & Wedges: :KZG: CB-1 [5i - 9i], NovaTech BTR Lite; Wedges: S23, 610;
  • Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville One, One Step, Max;
  • Ball: :bridgestone-small: XS [22];
  • Notables: Best Grips MicroPerf; -Vessel Tour stand bag; Pro LX+ with H4; 3.5+ with Alphard Club Booster V2

• 2 weeks later...

I was just fit for Wishon clubs and so far I love them. I think getting into the correct shaft for my swing is the main difference maker. Here's a spec sheet of my clubs, the swing weight varies and the weights are without a grip. The e's changed to D's after the grips were installed.  My fitter put some 4 grams weights into each of the club heads. The heads are 575 MMC all cavity backs. The shafts are N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour120X. These are pretty damn accurate. They hold greens really well. The most I've seen approach shots roll on the green after descent is a foot.

Here's how the sheet reads left to right: club, spec weight of clubhead, actual weight plus the plug weight, swing weight without grips, length, MOI.

Right now I'd say avoid OEM clubs from big box stores and go with a club builder. If the club builder has OEM products, then you can trust that you are getting a quality fitting.

Hope this helps.

IMG_2324.JPG

Krank Formula X Veylix Alpina 573 45" 9*

:755178188_TourEdge:CBX 3 Wood Matrix HD Radix S VIII 43" 15*

Krank Formula X 5 Wood Matrix HD Radix S VIII 42" 18*

Wishon Golf 775HS 3H Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid X-Flex  39.75" 21*

Wishon Golf 585HI 3DI  same shaft as irons 38.25" 21*

Wishon Golf 575 MMC Forged 5-A N.S.Pro Modus 3 Tour 120X

Wishon Golf Micro-Groove HM S, L same shaft as irons 

:EVNROLL: ER7B Gravity Grip 35"

On 8/4/2019 at 11:35 PM, whtfsh said:

http://wishongolf.com/clubmakers/matching-golf-clubs-by-moi/

http://www.tutelman.com/golf/clubs/index.php

Tom Wishon details the MOI matching model.  Dave Tutelman provides a more scientific analysis of MOI and his personal MOI matching observations.   I prefer MOI matching with the length progression of clubs  3/8" so the long irons are shorter.  

@whtfsh I appreciate you sharing those links, that Tutelman one was really good, but now I am officially confused as to where my ball position should be in my stance. I currently put everything (except Driver) in the middle of my stance, and I hardly ever take divots. I know that if I moved the ball towards my left heel, then I would hit it really thin. This has given me some things to look at and work on. Thanks for sharing. 

• In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 6-way
  • :cobra-small: King F9 set to 9*, Tour length Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.0 S-flex, with GolfPride MCC +4 mid-size
  • image.png.27e1496834233542c5d124bf8b9e3352.png3W - 13*, UST Mamiya 65 Gold S-flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :taylormade-small: SIM UDI 2-iron - 18*, Mitsubishi Diamana Thump 100 X-flex, with GolfPride MCC Align
  • :srixon-small: ZX5 4-5 & ZX7 6-PW, :Nippon: Modus3 120 Tour S-flex, +1/2", with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: - SM8 Tour Chrome, 50.08F - 54.10S - 58.12D, DG Wedge Flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :EVNROLL: Custom Fit 35" ER6 Red at 68 degree lie angle and 4 degrees of loft
  • :Snell: MTB-X            :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope             Tracked by :Arccos:         #WPS 🐗

Wow. Never heard of this before! Pretty interesting. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

4 hours ago, Slap said:

The heads are 575 MMC all cavity backs.

I too was custom fit and play Wishon. There's not many of us around here. Mine are the 771csi. Going in I wanted the 565 but ended up with the 771's. With my 3-5 hcp I'm glad I did. I can use some forgiveness. But, the 771's just preformed best during my fitting. I've been playing my set since about 2015-16 I guess. All my irons have Aerotech i80 shafts.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

When I was fit for my irons at Spargo Golf we did MOI match them.

I do feel as though it makes a difference, but I’m not sure the best way to go about it as a DIY. I know they weight sort the shafts and use tip weights to get it to match.

It was an awesome fitting experience and I do not regret going with an MOI matched set. My handicap has dropped, and my ball striking has become much more consistent, especially in the long irons.

The Wishon Golf link posted earlier is a good starting point, but let me know if you have any questions and I can try to answer them for you from my experience with them.

Edit: should mention that the 714 AP2 I am currently playing are the MOI matched irons I have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8