Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Is there a formula to work out carry based on SS etc

perseveringgolfer

The reason I ask is I see so many youtube videos or magazine reviews of clubs, particularly driver, with enormous distances quoted.

Is there a formula that if you see SS, ball speed, spin etc that equates to what that carry distance could only be?

Heres an example; I saw a driver review on youtube and the reviewer had a 98mph swing speed, he said he had 146mph ball speed and a 278yd CARRY! (290yd total)

I had a fitting recently and didnt get near that length of carry with a slightly better SS.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

31 minutes ago, perseveringgolfer said:

The reason I ask is I see so many youtube videos or magazine reviews of clubs, particularly driver, with enormous distances quoted.

Is there a formula that if you see SS, ball speed, spin etc that equates to what that carry distance could only be?

Heres an example; I saw a driver review on youtube and the reviewer had a 98mph swing speed, he said he had 146mph ball speed and a 278yd CARRY! (290yd total)

I had a fitting recently and didnt get near that length of carry with a slightly better SS.

I know we've addressed this in the past on MGS,, however, I too lazy this morning to do a search - so I copied a link from WRX.

http://www.golfwrx.com/303248/how-far-you-can-actually-hit-your-driver/

As you'll see there are a number of components that come into play such as angle of attack (which in my case is negative). I assume that another factor that isn't addressed is where you hit the ball. I had heard that for every 1/4" off center you lose 7 yds of distance, but I've never seen documentation on this. 

We have lots of experts here that can chime in - but at the very least the article gives you a starting point. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Here's the site you want.

https://flightscope.com/products/trajectory-optimizer/

Just input your numbers and it will give you distances.  Also a fun tool to play around with and what various launch angles and spin rates will do to your carry distances.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

2 minutes ago, hckymeyer said:

Here's the site you want.

https://flightscope.com/products/trajectory-optimizer/

Just input your numbers and it will give you distances.  Also a fun tool to play around with and what various launch angles and spin rates will do to your carry distances.

excellent, thanks👏

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

1 minute ago, perseveringgolfer said:

excellent, thanks👏

After you play around with it I think you'll notice that 146mph ball speed does not carry 278yds.  Unless you are at that WGC course in Mexico City (7000ft altitude) and a hell of a tail wind behind you.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s