Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Dr. Scholl's foot spray stain on clubface

So... I did a bit of practice in my backyard hitting my driver and seven iron into my golf net. I sprayed Dr. Scholl's on the club faces to get some strike location feedback. It appears that I let my practice session run a bit too long as there is some spray caked on to the toe area of my driver (where I tend not to hit), and high on the iron face and in the toe (again, where I tend not to hit). I usually wipe the faces with a wet towel when I change clubs at the range, but I just did a cursory wipe when changing clubs this time. This didn't happen to me the first five or six times I used the spray.

Has anyone else had this happen to them? Any tips on what to use to clean the faces without damaging them? I tried some soap and water and rubbed them with a towel but to no avail. Any help would be appreciated.

As an aside, this is one of the best feedback mechanisms for understanding how you can improve your strike, and I feel like most golfers should try it out. But learn from my experience and wipe your club face with a wet towel every five shots or so!

Driver: :taylormade-small: M4 D-Type

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 2 Max 3HL

Hybrid: :callaway-small: Rogue X 18*

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS2 21*

Irons: :callaway-small: Rogue 5-AW

Wedges:  :titelist-small: SM7 54*08M, 60*04L

Putter: Wilson Infinite West Loop

:Arccos:

That's interesting, I can't say I've ever had that happen when I've used foot spray. Maybe try a light spray of Goof Off or something like that to see if it helps?

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

I like the idea but was always wary of putting a chemical on the face of my driver.

I just wipe with a damp cloth prior to hitting, very easy to see your strikes that way and no residue issues or spraying a smelly stuff into my lungs🙄😉

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

8 hours ago, scratchmybirdie said:

So... I did a bit of practice in my backyard hitting my driver and seven iron into my golf net. I sprayed Dr. Scholl's on the club faces to get some strike location feedback. It appears that I let my practice session run a bit too long as there is some spray caked on to the toe area of my driver (where I tend not to hit), and high on the iron face and in the toe (again, where I tend not to hit). I usually wipe the faces with a wet towel when I change clubs at the range, but I just did a cursory wipe when changing clubs this time. This didn't happen to me the first five or six times I used the spray.

Has anyone else had this happen to them? Any tips on what to use to clean the faces without damaging them? I tried some soap and water and rubbed them with a towel but to no avail. Any help would be appreciated.

As an aside, this is one of the best feedback mechanisms for understanding how you can improve your strike, and I feel like most golfers should try it out. But learn from my experience and wipe your club face with a wet towel every five shots or so!

That's interesting. I've never had a problem with it not coming off. Maybe if you just put the driver into a bucket of warm soapy water and leave it there for a while it'll soften up. Like yourself I wouldn't want to use an abrasive pad or chemical - fearing that either one would take the finish off of the driver. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I like the idea but was always wary of putting a chemical on the face of my driver.
I just wipe with a damp cloth prior to hitting, very easy to see your strikes that way and no residue issues or spraying a smelly stuff into my lungs

I’ll give that a try. Just put a thin layer of water on the face before each hit?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: :taylormade-small: M4 D-Type

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 2 Max 3HL

Hybrid: :callaway-small: Rogue X 18*

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS2 21*

Irons: :callaway-small: Rogue 5-AW

Wedges:  :titelist-small: SM7 54*08M, 60*04L

Putter: Wilson Infinite West Loop

:Arccos:

4 hours ago, scratchmybirdie said:

I’ll give that a try. Just put a thin layer of water on the face before each hit?

damp cloth on a dry face, nothing more. Caveat is though if you are practicing in 85* heat it will evaporate pretty quickly.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

I'm not sure what Dr. Scholl's (or store brand equivalent) costs, but impact tape is not expensive at all.  You can get up to a couple hundred labels for $20 or less on Amazon.  The labels can easily be used for several hits, don't leave residue, don't evaporate, and don't require a thin layer of water on the face.   Is there any advantage other than cost to using foot spray?   It sure sounds like a lot of work.

I get that on my G25 driver from time-to-time. It'll go away if not immediately with cleaning, then over a little bit of time.

Foot powder spray is typically thought to be superior to impact tape because (supposedly) it doesn't affect spin rates (or at least not as much). It also is quite a bit more economical than a roll of stickers and is generally easy to apply and take off. Any residue left behind after a long session like that mentioned above will have little if any impact on play.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

Well it just doesn't seem easier given all the issues mentioned here.  Impact stickers fold up nicely and take up less space than a glove.  If you're hitting into a net like he is, then unless you're using a launch monitor spin rates don't matter too much.  Thanks for the reply, but I still don't get it.

Acetone will take it away.  It won't hurt the face.  FYI - water and impact tape are a horrible idea as they dramatically affect the ball flight via a change in friction and spin.  Now if you are only doing it to see impact fine but you need to ignore ball flight!

1 hour ago, TwoCoatsOfWax said:

Well it just doesn't seem easier given all the issues mentioned here.  Impact stickers fold up nicely and take up less space than a glove.  If you're hitting into a net like he is, then unless you're using a launch monitor spin rates don't matter too much.  Thanks for the reply, but I still don't get it.

Never said it was easier. Just said it was "generally easy to apply and take off" which is true in most cases - spray it on, wipe it off.

Fair point about hitting into a net though. Still worth stating for anyone reading who wants to use it at the range and see ball flight.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

• 3 weeks later...

I use a dry erase marker to color the club faces instead of foot spray for irons and hybrids. The marker can also be used to spot the balls themselves to leave marks on the face. Easier to remove as well as cheaper. Doesn't work as well on drivers and fairway woods with dark faces but you can usually see your ball mark on those anyway. I just wipe off after each swing. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

• 4 weeks later...

Never happened to me before.

Instagram:  @tony_rosselli_

:SuperSpeed:Training

Pre training max driver speed: 124mph

Current: 130mph

WITB:

Driver: :ping-small:G425 Max, 9*

Woods: :taylormade-small: 2007 Burner TP 3 wood and 5 wood

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z765 4-PW (1 degree flat) with KBS $-130 shafts

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 50/12/F, 54/10/S and 58/12/D

Putter:  L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1

Ball:  :titelist-small: ProV1

• 1 year later...

Word of caution, do not do this with foam balls and hit them into your white curtains..... my wife didn’t like the random marker spots all over the living room curtains lol.

This actually made me Laugh Out Loud. My wife just asked what’s so funny

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

Cleveland UHX Launcher 3 Iron

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

This actually made me Laugh Out Loud. My wife just asked what’s so funny

Yeah..... she was like “What are all these orange spots all over the curtains?”

Me: “......... I was practicing impact.....”

🤣

WITB:

Yeah..... she was like “What are all these orange spots all over the curtains?”

Me: “......... I was practicing impact.....”

🤣

They never see the big picture. How’re we supposed to improve if we don’t practice!

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

Cleveland UHX Launcher 3 Iron

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

They never see the big picture. How’re we supposed to improve if we don’t practice!

Exactly!!!!

WITB:

On 7/31/2020 at 2:54 PM, Jv2489 said:

Did you ever find a solution for this? I'm having the same issue. Acetone didn't do the trick. 

Try Windex and a towel.

I clean my clubs off post-round with Windex and it eats through the grass and mud stains quickly.

Tiger is the GOAT, change my mind.

This happened on my driver. Still working on getting it all off, trying not to scratch the face up 😬

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

• 2 months later...

I, too, let the foot powder spray remain too long. I've tried all of the usual suspects including Mr. Clean eraser and polishing compound for cars. Nothing worked. Anyone with a successful experience removing powder from the face of a driver? I'm beginning to wonder what the spray powder does to your feet! Lol

On 11/5/2020 at 4:34 PM, russbiz said:

I, too, let the foot powder spray remain too long. I've tried all of the usual suspects including Mr. Clean eraser and polishing compound for cars. Nothing worked. Anyone with a successful experience removing powder from the face of a driver? I'm beginning to wonder what the spray powder does to your feet! Lol

Shakley Products - Scour Off.  I think their stuff is all natural and as best I can tell, it works its magic because of a very (VERY) fine grit.  I left the spray on my club for MONTHS, thinking it was dry and i could wipe it off anytime.  No - it was really stuck on there.  Tried windex, finger nail polish remover, etc.  No good.  This pasty stuff was rubbed on and a minute or so wait - a little elbow grease with a scouring pad - and it is like brand new!!!  Did not damage the club face at all and no residue.

I will use the spray again - it is a great learning tool.  But I will be sure to wipe it off after each use.

• 9 months later...

Why don't you use Car Wax instead of the foot spray? I've been using past car wax for over 15 years and NEAR have a problem with it. It works the same way as foot powder and it both "Cheaper" to use and doesn't take up a lot of room in my golf bag. I just put a small amount of the wax in an old "Pill Bottle" and it tits easily in my bag or in my pocket. Easy to use and wipes off with a rag. Added bonus is it protects the driver from ball marks or sun damage if you apply the wax to the crown of your clubs like you would do on a car. One can of car wax will last a life time for a lot less money. Try it and forget the foot spray issues. 

All my clubs are custom built with aftermarket shafts that have been spine and FLO aligned for max performance every swing. 

On 6/13/2019 at 9:26 AM, tony@CIC said:

That's interesting. I've never had a problem with it not coming off. Maybe if you just put the driver into a bucket of warm soapy water and leave it there for a while it'll soften up. Like yourself I wouldn't want to use an abrasive pad or chemical - fearing that either one would take the finish off of the driver. 

What tony said, and use an old toothbrush to scrub it, in case it's caked in the grooves.

• 2 years later...