Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

What do you guys think?

So with all the recent talk on MGS about blades vs player irons, has me thinking to shell out another 1000$ for their player distance winner JPX 919 Forged.

I currently game Miura CB 1008, great clubs love them - when they are struck well. They are one of Miura’s most forgiving, but I doubt as forgiving as the Mizuno’s. 

I’m currently a 16hcp, only started playing spring 2018. I think thats pretty good for only a year of on course experience, so I went out and bought a set of Miura CB1008 thinking I swing my irons pretty consistent I can game these beautiful hand forged clubs. 

But if I look back to when I was gaming Taylormade M4’s I feel like I was much more consistent, got higher ball flights compared to the Miura irons. 

So do you guys think I should continue to game the Miura’s and keep working on them or should I just hang them up and gain some forgiveness with the Mizuno’s? 

Tough when I just spent 1800$ on these Miura irons. But I’m golf obsessed and buying clubs without thinking is part of Golf life lol

So do you guys think I should continue to game the Miura’s and keep working on them or should I just hang them up and gain some forgiveness with the Mizuno’s? 
Tough when I just spent 1800$ on these Miura irons. But I’m golf obsessed and buying clubs without thinking is part of Golf life lol

Do you just want us to justify the purchase? If so, you have to get new clubs to see if you play any better with them and as you said it is part of the golf life.

If you want us to talk you out of the purchase: you recently bought those irons and need to give them a chance. No reason to have multiple sets and the new clubs are expensive and the clubs you have are great.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Players irons will be more penal on mishits than a GI or SGI model. Some players irons may be a little more forgiving than others but it will be minimal. AP2 vs CB for example. The ap2 is going to offer more forgiveness but it’s still not going to offer the level of forgiveness as ap3 or ap1.

now a players distance iron like i500, ap3, p790 will offer a good blend of players looks and some feel while offering the forgiveness of a gi model. 

Golf is a great sport that we have many options. Having something in the bag that one likes the looks of and makes them want to go play or practice is what matters. The best thing to do is get fit. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I agree, I do enjoy them. Just all the MGS talk about never playing blades again has me thinking if I should back track from the Miura’s.

In a sense yes I guess I was looking for an answer like yours lol I want to buy the Mizuno’s but as the same time like you said got to give my new clybs a chance. 

I did get fit and the fitter recommended P790 due to distances but I did not like the less spin it gave. So I sat for a while, waited, and due to where I live (Flushing, NYC) an asian friend of mine convinced me to buy Miura (only irons he plays). 

But being a big MGS follower, all their recent talk blades vs player distance just has this topic on my mind. 

3 minutes ago, PingMe said:

I agree, I do enjoy them. Just all the MGS talk about never playing blades again has me thinking if I should back track from the Miura’s.

In a sense yes I guess I was looking for an answer like yours lol I want to buy the Mizuno’s but as the same time like you said got to give my new clybs a chance. 

There’s a distinguishable difference between the 1008 and blades. 

4 minutes ago, PingMe said:

1 minute ago, PingMe said:

I did get fit and the fitter recommended P790 due to distances but I did not like the less spin it gave. So I sat for a while, waited, and due to where I live (Flushing, NYC) an asian friend of mine convinced me to buy Miura (only irons he plays). 

But being a big MGS follower, all their recent talk blades vs player distance just has this topic on my mind. 

Non CB, MB and players type irons are designed to have lower spin and higher launch...necessary to keep them from dropping out of the sky.  People get tied up in these numbers to much and ignore or overlook land/descent angle which will help determine if one can hold a green. This type of set up is going to be what’s seen in many of the releases out there.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I do think I am past GI and SGI sets, I hit my irons pretty well and consistently and am starting to learn how to shape the ball. I don’t shape it very well yet but I am making progress. Thus the reason if anything I would take a step back and go into the player distance category either with Mizuno JPX 919 or try the Ping I500

I also see Ricky that the CB1008 and Mizuno look fairly similiar with the thick bottom on the back of the head. 

Not sure theyre would be much difference. 

But the main difference I would imagine is the club on the Mizuno may not be so compact thus giving me a little bit larger of a sweet spot. Maybe that mis hit will travel 10yds further and more on line with the Mizuno vs the Miura. 

I guess I should try the Mizuno’s on monitor and see if there is any difference.

I agree. Apex and descent angle are very important to me. 

If I look back and compare my M4 irons to my Miura I did have more height with the M4’s and I’d imagine my descent angle was stronger too then. 

I would have never recommended a guy 12 months into Golf spend $1800 for a full bag of clubs let alone for just his irons. However, those eggs have already been scrambled so I’ll move forward towards your initial question.

Stop the madness. Keep what you have and spend the $1000 on lessons. $1000 buys a years worth of instruction and at the end of that year your current irons will feel like a new set because you’ll hit them like never before.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

1 hour ago, SteddyGolf said:

I would have never recommended a guy 12 months into Golf spend $1800 for a full bag of clubs let alone for just his irons. However, those eggs have already been scrambled so I’ll move forward towards your initial question.

Stop the madness. Keep what you have and spend the $1000 on lessons. $1000 buys a years worth of instruction and at the end of that year your current irons will feel like a new set because you’ll hit them like never before.

$1000 buys you 10 lessons.  Hardly a years worth.  

As for the first post, it depends on you goal.  If you want beautiful clubs and don't care about your score than you got it.  If you want to improve, you have no business with those clubs.  From a coaching/teaching/fitting point of view,  I don't care what you like to look at or how it feels to you.   Does it hit the ball higher, longer and with tighter dispersion?  If yes, buy it and go improve.  Everything else is a purchase on vanity and ego.  Improving has no room for ego.  

Down to 16 hcp that quickly is good going, well done.

My thoughts are...  If you really want to change clubs to help you improve more then get properly fitted for some that suit you and show a noticeable improvement over what you already have, and keep an open mind brand wise.  But I think lessons, and maybe a launch monitor to help you practice, would be a much better investment.

$1000 buys you 10 lessons.  Hardly a years worth.  

As for the first post, it depends on you goal.  If you want beautiful clubs and don't care about your score than you got it.  If you want to improve, you have no business with those clubs.  From a coaching/teaching/fitting point of view,  I don't care what you like to look at or how it feels to you.   Does it hit the ball higher, longer and with tighter dispersion?  If yes, buy it and go improve.  Everything else is a purchase on vanity and ego.  Improving has no room for ego.  

Not sure where you live. I’ve moved 18 times in the last 32 years. I’ve lived in Germany, England, and Korea. I’ve also lived in 9 different US States. From my experience $1000 US buys you much more than 10 lessons.

If 10 lessons is what $1000 US buys you I still say those 10 lessons (roughly one a month) will pay bigger dividends than a new set of irons.

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

I had the same scenario with the P790 and lack of spin, so I also passed on them, but I did buy a set that finished “second”. Ultimately you gotta play what you like, but I wouldn’t buy another set without a fitting, so if you’re thinking about Mizunos, I’d still take the Miuras to a fitting and see if they’re the better choice. I’m about to do this with two drivers I have. You could end-up buying Mizunos and not be any better off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX