TESTERS WANTED! ×

32 minutes ago, Big money said:

Forgive me. But who in the world is Julian Suri?

🦗 crickets 

he turned pro in 2013.Missed one cut this year and finished 54th in the pga championship.Some of these teaching pros credentials really make me snicker at times.Cant make this stuff up.Im outta this thread 

Keep it in the short stuff

The wonderful thing about golf instruction is that there's a teacher and a style out there that will fit with nearly anyone and everyone. Doesn't matter if it's online or in person. People all respond differently when it comes to how they're taught and how they retain and use that info. I've bought videos and e-books from a number of online instructors, follow a bunch online, read their posts in forums, etc. Some things have worked for me, some haven't. Just like with in-person lessons. I tried one locally respected instructor who's methods had me in back spasms. I went to someone else with a completely different teaching style and things clicked almost immediately.

What doesn't work for you may work wonderfully for another person. No need to bash what you personally don't like or understand, as what doesn't click for you may be the lightbulb moment another person needs. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

22 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

The wonderful thing about golf instruction is that there's a teacher and a style out there that will fit with nearly anyone and everyone. Doesn't matter if it's online or in person. People all respond differently when it comes to how they're taught and how they retain and use that info. I've bought videos and e-books from a number of online instructors, follow a bunch online, read their posts in forums, etc. Some things have worked for me, some haven't. Just like with in-person lessons. I tried one locally respected instructor who's methods had me in back spasms. I went to someone else with a completely different teaching style and things clicked almost immediately.

What doesn't work for you may work wonderfully for another person. No need to bash what you personally don't like or understand, as what doesn't click for you may be the lightbulb moment another person needs. 

Agreed 100%. Fundamentally most teachers are teaching the same baseline ideals. Rotation, compression, extension etc. with slight variations. The importance in self discovery is trying a variety of methods from as many resources as you can. You end up understanding the nuances better as well as what concepts you believe in. 

Driver: Callaway 815 DBD Irons: New Ben Hogan Ft. Worth 15's with KBS C-Taper Stiff Flex Shafts 21,25,29,33,37,41,45 Wedges: Ben Hogan TK with KBS Tour V Stiff Flex Shafts 52,56,60 Putter: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

3 hours ago, TR1PTIK said:

There are plenty of great instructors who work with golfers competing on the "big stage" that you've likely never heard of. How many golfers ever heard of or acknowledged Gankas prior to Matt Wolff at the WMPO???

Gankas works with a lot of tour players as well as some of the top amateurs in the world. His stats as a teaching pro go way beyond Matt Wolff.  The number of champions in his stable is very impressive. He is known for building speed in the swing along with consistency. The novice golf fan most likely has heard of him because of Matt and his unusual swing; however as another poster said before, he’s also worked with Adam Scott. Adam has one of the most beautiful swings in golf. Adam came to him looking for more horsepower as did Padraig Harrington. Paddy is closer to the senior tour than the PGA tour and has gotten back to 120mph swing speed. I’ve studied the swing a lot and I’m biased but do believe that GG will be a very relevant coach for many more years. 

Driver: Callaway 815 DBD Irons: New Ben Hogan Ft. Worth 15's with KBS C-Taper Stiff Flex Shafts 21,25,29,33,37,41,45 Wedges: Ben Hogan TK with KBS Tour V Stiff Flex Shafts 52,56,60 Putter: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

13 minutes ago, chaseclelland said:

Gankas works with a lot of tour players as well as some of the top amateurs in the world. His stats as a teaching pro go way beyond Matt Wolff.  The number of champions in his stable is very impressive. He is known for building speed in the swing along with consistency. The novice golf fan most likely has heard of him because of Matt and his unusual swing; however as another poster said before, he’s also worked with Adam Scott. Adam has one of the most beautiful swings in golf. Adam came to him looking for more horsepower as did Padraig Harrington. Paddy is closer to the senior tour than the PGA tour and has gotten back to 120mph swing speed. I’ve studied the swing a lot and I’m biased but do believe that GG will be a very relevant coach for many more years. 

You obviously didn't read my post in context... Go back up and you'll see I already mentioned Scott and Harrington.

The post you quoted was in response to a statement made by @Edveed. Thanks for the info though.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

2 hours ago, Big money said:

Forgive me. But who in the world is Julian Suri?

1 hour ago, Twofer said:

🦗 crickets 

he turned pro in 2013.Missed one cut this year and finished 54th in the pga championship.Some of these teaching pros credentials really make me snicker at times.Cant make this stuff up.Im outta this thread 

Was an all American at Duke, has a few individual college wins, 1 win on challenge tour and another on the euro tour. Been ranked inside the top 100 for a couple years, currently just outside of it.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

3 hours ago, russtopherb said:

Thank you. This is why I hate any instructional golf area of a forum. It turns into my instructor is better than yours mess. If an instructor can make me play a little better and enjoy the game more I’m more than happy. Past accomplishments really mean very little too me. Or and whose who in their stable of players they coach 

Keep it in the short stuff

I never heard of GG before Wolff.

Any link to his exaggerated leg movement lesson? Yes, I could Google, but just to make sure we are talking about the same video 😄

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

6 hours ago, Kanoito said:

I never heard of GG before Wolff.

Any link to his exaggerated leg movement lesson? Yes, I could Google, but just to make sure we are talking about the same video 😄

The dude has countless videos on YouTube and Insta, and pretty much *every single one* shows the exaggerated leg movement as part of the lesson. Won't be too hard to find!!! 

15 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

The dude has countless videos on YouTube and Insta, and pretty much *every single one* shows the exaggerated leg movement as part of the lesson. Won't be too hard to find!!! 

Lol that squat looks ugly... but I gotta give it a try!

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

I am a fan of GG and have been watching his Instagram and other stuff for probably 3-4 years. What GG teaches isn’t anything new. Here’s a video of him on GC talking about the swing. Start watching from the 1:25 mark and what Wolff is doing isn’t unique to him or what Gag teaches.

https://www.golfchannel.com/video/2019-travelers-matthew-wolff-golf-swing-george-gankas

Here’s an interview with Travis Fulton where in he talks about how he took what others did. He uses a lot of stuff the greats from the past did and some new guys including Jamie Sadlowski. Starts about the 4 min mark.

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

The rotation and applying pressure from the ground up is the “new” big thing in swing instruction. Technology has helped teachers learn how the swing becomes more effective. Video let teachers see the swing better, Launch monitors taught us the real ball flight laws and how to optimize the launch, and pressure plates now allow us to see how a player moves in the swing. The following article talks about how pressure through the toes versus heel may be helpful for your swing type.

https://www.golf.com/instruction/2019/07/10/what-is-golf-swing-pressure/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

42 minutes ago, Kanoito said:

It’s not necessarily a squat. Many call that or what Pretty much every good to tour level players do a squat. What is happening is getting the knees and this the body back to a “level” position before the lead side gets higher than the trail side reversing what happened in the takeaway. 

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I am a fan of GG and have been watching his Instagram and other stuff for probably 3-4 years. What GG teaches isn’t anything new. Here’s a video of him on GC talking about the swing. Start watching from the 1:25 mark and what Wolff is doing isn’t unique to him or what Gag teaches.

https://www.golfchannel.com/video/2019-travelers-matthew-wolff-golf-swing-george-gankas

Here’s an interview with Travis Fulton where in he talks about how he took what others did. He uses a lot of stuff the greats from the past did and some new guys including Jamie Sadlowski. Starts about the 4 min mark.

That was really interesting, thanks for posting

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

6 minutes ago, perseveringgolfer said:

That was really interesting, thanks for posting

As consil posted earlier technology has changed how things are done but in reality the principles of the golf swing haven’t really changed but rather improved for efficiency. 

Takeaways, top of swings, the transition and to a point the downswing and the follow thru varies by golfer but if one looks at the good players up to the pros from roughly club parallel to ground up to and just past impact they all are in pretty identical positions. 

The guys at athletic motion golf have gears and they use pro swings they have captured and they talk about how they all do the same things movement wise in their swings and how there is just slight differences in the positions.

I have been watching George's videos for a while, they're very interesting and he has a way to talk to people that most other teachers don't have. He had an incident last year with a partner online who has taken his "GG Swing Tips" website and channel, which is why George has rebranded a bit.

One of the things I like about him is he is able to relate to people in a way that makes sense to them. In one video he asked a student, "are you better if I tell you feels or if I put up some pool noodles and things for you to avoid." Something so simple but is going to be a big learning difference for many and shows his ability to teach, not just understand the golf swing.

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

GG is the flavor of the month because Wolff won.... Why isn’t anyone talking about Kuchar’s coach? Kuchar’s won MULTIPLE times this season, and is leading the FedEx Cup standings. Spieth’s Coach, McCormick I believe, was hot when Spieth had that big year as a “youngster” on Tour. “Jocking” a coach because one of his players wins quickly on Tour, and then claiming that THIS coach is REALLY teaching, or doing something so different is hyperbole at best.
Good gracious. Haney was REALLY hot when he had Tiger, then when Tiger switched again, Sean Foley was the best... Slow the roll, folks. Anyone talking about Schauffele’s coach? JT’s coach? Patrick Cantlay’s coach? Nawwww. Those coaches ain’t got NOTHING on GG! He’s the REAL deal....
As Salt-N-Pepa said, “Pssshhhh, whateva!”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

7 hours ago, PMookie said:

GG is the flavor of the month because Wolff won.... Why isn’t anyone talking about Kuchar’s coach? Kuchar’s won MULTIPLE times this season, and is leading the FedEx Cup standings. Spieth’s Coach, McCormick I believe, was hot when Spieth had that big year as a “youngster” on Tour. “Jocking” a coach because one of his players wins quickly on Tour, and then claiming that THIS coach is REALLY teaching, or doing something so different is hyperbole at best.
Good gracious. Haney was REALLY hot when he had Tiger, then when Tiger switched again, Sean Foley was the best... Slow the roll, folks. Anyone talking about Schauffele’s coach? JT’s coach? Patrick Cantlay’s coach? Nawwww. Those coaches ain’t got NOTHING on GG! He’s the REAL deal....

Gankas has been quite popular for around 3-4 years now at least. He's getting some accolades because of Wolff, sure, but he's certainly not flavor of the month.

He also gets a lot of talk because he's accessible - he offers video lessons online, the "average joe" can afford to go see him still (for the most part, anyways), he's got YouTube & Instagram videos galore that a lot of people find helpful, etc etc etc. 

Again, just because someone's being talked up because of his techniques and student results doesn't mean that every other coach is lesser or bad. I don't understand why a thread discussing someone's techniques and teaching style automatically means everyone else is worse by comparison. That's just not the way it works. 

7 hours ago, PMookie said:

He may be the flavor of the month as far as tv coverage and Wolff having success in his short career but GG is far from the flavor of the month in instruction. As mentioned earlier in the thread he worked with adam Scott, Harrington is working with him. Sung Kang has a win on tour, he’s worked with Danny Lee.  He has Johnny Rodriquez who had some status on web.com. He’s had high level amateurs in his stable for awhile. 

Just now, russtopherb said:

Gankas has been quite popular for around 3-4 years now at least. He's getting some accolades because of Wolff, sure, but he's certainly not flavor of the month.

He also gets a lot of talk because he's accessible - he offers video lessons online, the "average joe" can afford to go see him still (for the most part, anyways), he's got YouTube & Instagram videos galore that a lot of people find helpful, etc etc etc. 

Again, just because someone's being talked up because of his techniques and student results doesn't mean that every other coach is lesser or bad. I don't understand why a thread discussing someone's techniques and teaching style automatically means everyone else is worse by comparison. That's just not the way it works. 

He’s quite expensive. 

Just now, RickyBobby_PR said:

He’s quite expensive. 

That's why I put "(for the  most part, anyways)". For some people, $400/hour is an acceptable cost. That's still far cheaper than in-person lessons with any of the Harmons, Haney, Hardy, Leadbetter, etc. Bottom line, Gankas is more visible and more accessible AND he's got Wolff's wins backing him up along with working with the other pros you mentioned. 

For full disclosure, I'm not even a big fan of his. However, I'm a huge fan of people finding pros that they like and learn from, and get them excited to play more golf.  

29 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

That's why I put "(for the  most part, anyways)". For some people, $400/hour is an acceptable cost. That's still far cheaper than in-person lessons with any of the Harmons, Haney, Hardy, Leadbetter, etc. Bottom line, Gankas is more visible and more accessible AND he's got Wolff's wins backing him up along with working with the other pros you mentioned. 

For full disclosure, I'm not even a big fan of his. However, I'm a huge fan of people finding pros that they like and learn from, and get them excited to play more golf.  

Yeah when it comes to those guys he’s definitely a cheap option. The interesting thing is he’s accessible/visible because a buddy of his on tour told him he needed to get on social media and just do some funny stuff and some tips. 

Its weird how it took Wolff and his “unique” swing winning for the media to talk about GG when sung Kang had won the Byron Nelson just a couple months ago and had some good finishes in the last couple years. 

14 hours ago, PMookie said:

Golf instructors and true students of the game absolutely talk about and investigate the other coaches.  Don't get mad at the media or those who succumb to the message.  Just do your thing and learn what you can from each.  

• 1 month later...

Anyone here checked out George Gankas lessons?  He gets a lot of love on another site, but the membership is pricey.  He comes across as rambling on the free YouTube stuff.  The swing he promotes looks the same as Shawn Clements but allowing for more variation.

:ping-small:G410 plus driver,:taylormade-small:Aeroburner 3W, :cobra-small:F6 Baffler 
:callaway-small:XR 4, 5 hybrids
:titleist-small:2021 T300 6 - GW, SW irons
:callaway-small: Mack Daddy CB 58/12 wedge
Axis1 Rose putter

Alternates: Srixon ZX4 MKII irons

A Quick search will show the thread where he is discussed:

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/32054-george-gankas/?tab=comments#comment-548500

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

There's a thread or two about Gankas that have been floating around since at least the WMPO. He seems like an interesting guy and I generally like what he has to say about how to swing a golf club. 

3 minutes ago, cnosil said:

A Quick search will show the thread where he is discussed:

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/32054-george-gankas/?tab=comments#comment-548500

Thanks. I thought this guy was so obscure there wouldn't be a thread!

:ping-small:G410 plus driver,:taylormade-small:Aeroburner 3W, :cobra-small:F6 Baffler 
:callaway-small:XR 4, 5 hybrids
:titleist-small:2021 T300 6 - GW, SW irons
:callaway-small: Mack Daddy CB 58/12 wedge
Axis1 Rose putter

Alternates: Srixon ZX4 MKII irons

14 minutes ago, Dr Strangelove said:

Is the website better than his YouTube stuff?  I DONT think he communicates info very well.  Awful actually.  But that's just me.  PS. He should pull up his pants and get a smaller hat. 🙂

It's just a matter of what speaks to you as an individual and how you process information. I don't agree with everything he says, but the way he breaks down parts of the swing is very similar (if not exactly the same) as how I tend to look at those parts.

I also like that he isn't about changing a swing simply because of how it looks. His explanation of "match-ups" is spot-on IMO. Coaches like Gankas will help the sport return to more personalized swings instead of the text-book cookie cutter type which is nice - not that I have anything against that type of swing. I'd have to be crazy to suggest there's anything wrong with swings like those belonging to Adam Scott or Rory McIlroy.