TESTERS WANTED! ×

On 3/24/2020 at 9:45 AM, CarlH said:

I'll be interested in your comments when you finally do get out on the course.  Will be very interesting to see how your game progresses.  As a bogey golfer, I believe your results will be very telling.

My handicap went down by 2 last season (I play ~24 rounds a season and never practice save for hitting pitch shots into a net in my garage).  I did not get through the entire series, but got a lot out of the basic setup, posture, turn, and swing sequence.  I never got the leg and foot action right.  Overall, the one year subscription was money well spent.  I did not extend after one year only because I think I've gotten what I need out of it and the ongoing cost is substantial.  

:ping-small:G410 plus driver,:taylormade-small:Aeroburner 3W, :cobra-small:F6 Baffler 
:callaway-small:XR 4, 5 hybrids
:titleist-small:2021 T300 6 - GW, SW irons
:callaway-small: Mack Daddy CB 58/12 wedge
Axis1 Rose putter

Alternates: Srixon ZX4 MKII irons

Thanks for the feedback @Dr Strangelove

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

The posture - balance points - is probably his greatest contribution to modern instruction. I’ve never heard any teacher describe the setup in this way. 

I used to goat hump until I masted his balance points posture. Now I can squat and keep the butt back with no problem in the downswing.

Edited by DeadPoets

• 1 month later...

I've watched GG videos in the past but was never really drawn to his approach. Yesterday I was listening to the "Fore the People" podcast that interviewed Gankas... The 2 hosts are pro's and George made some bold claims about finding 10-20 yards easy for one of them(which is a common theme in his videos). This peaked my interest and I tracked down one of his Youtube videos on the backswing. I found a few of the aspects from the pod (big turn, high hands - with a focus on getting the  right bicep/humerus parallel to ground at top of backswing while trying to get the forearm parallel to spine).

I decided to try getting my trail side upper arm parallel while hitting balls, because who wouldn't like 20 more yards... WOW

I instantly picked up 4-5 MPH club head speed and went from 240-240 carry to 252-258, all while feeling like I was swinging slow to make/learn the new move. Biggest surprise was I pured 5 in a row all clustered around center of the face with no heel or toe misses.

JJ Killeen hosts the Fore the People podcast, otherwise known as West Texas Driving Range Pro on twitter and is a hilarious follow. He also Monday qualified for the Valero Texas open this week, his friend, co-host and former pro Jon Peterson is caddying for him in the tourney and was the subject of GG's coaching. 

Maybe the crazy money GG charges for his online content is justified? Can't wait to see what happens when my Stack System arrives and I start speed training seriously.. Could be a big year, let's see if I can take it to the course on Monday.  

Edited by BMart519

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

There's a new Gankas swing aid out called the "Shallower."  I just ordered that as I exhibit some of the faults it tries to fix.

:ping-small:G410 plus driver,:taylormade-small:Aeroburner 3W, :cobra-small:F6 Baffler 
Axis1 Rose putter

9 hours ago, BMart519 said:

Maybe the crazy money GG charges for his online content is justified?

The price isn’t that crazy at all $500 for a year if you pay up front, a little more if you do monthly at $49. You get his entire teaching philosophy broken down into multiple segments for both full swing, short game and putting. You get access to mental approach, course management, practice. Not to mention access to swing analysis and feedback from some of his coaches which in itself is alone worth the money. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I am glad this post has been given life. George has been popping up on my Instagram lately and he fascinates me. It takes a lot of focus for me to translate what he is saying but the essence of his style is incredibly appealing. 

My biggest issue is that I supinate my left arm in transition and the club gets thrown out prior to impact. It’s not something that ruins me but when I’m swinging lazy that move dominates my swing. 

I just ordered a GBox Shallower. I’ll share more when it arrives but using an example from my downswing, you’ll see that this could help me. 

CDDDC0B8-4077-454B-B972-F2DED386A225.jpeg

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

4 hours ago, Dr Strangelove said:

There's a new Gankas swing aid out called the "Shallower."  I just ordered that as I exhibit some of the faults it tries to fix.

That looks awesome .. I want to get the G box but haven't pulled the trigger yet. 

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter - BGT Stability Tour Black shaft 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag 

3 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

The price isn’t that crazy at all $500 for a year if you pay up front, a little more if you do monthly at $49. You get his entire teaching philosophy broken down into multiple segments for both full swing, short game and putting. You get access to mental approach, course management, practice. Not to mention access to swing analysis and feedback from some of his coaches which in itself is alone worth the money. 

Considering next level golf from Adam young is $150 a year. $500 is quite high for access to videos. But I didn’t realize there was actual swing analysis and coaching baked into that. 

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

9 minutes ago, BMart519 said:

Considering next level golf from Adam young is $150 a year. $500 is quite high for access to videos. But I didn’t realize there was actual swing analysis and coaching baked into that. 

It’s a course that has several main topics then within those topics there are usually sections like his full swing section. There’s 3 parts and he added some mini series videos recently to that based on stuff he was seeing in videos and comments.

Each video has a section for comments/question and one of the coaches will reply to and there’s time frames for when he module opens.

With the swing analysis at one point you get access to post pics of your swing and the coaches will provide feedback. Then after a certain time...might be 30 days the swing forum opens and you can post swings in there for the analysis. 

It also has a section on stats and an app or website where you can track the stuff they look at and this is used to help guide what needs to be worked on in the swing.

For the information you get the $500 is well worth it the help from the coaches is beyond the value 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

I will give my take. I have been in the program for a year and some change. My swing has changed drastically as well as my knowledge of the swing and game. I went from being a puller who had to time it just right to hit a decent 1 to 2 yard fade, to someone who swings with buckets of rotation. 500 USD may seem expensive, but what you get is well worth it. Heres why: 1) You get a "from the ground up" education about the swing no stone is left unturned, this site isn't like the others in which you get access to a bunch of videos and YOU have to figure out how to piece it together. 2) You can get swing feedback 2 twice a week by a certified pro within 24 hours of posting, telling you what you're doing right and wrong and how to fix it. That alone (to me)  is worth 45 bucks a month. 3) Not only is this dealing with the swing, but you're also getting comprehensive modules on short game and putting, that alone should be worth it to a lot of amatuers.

Like I said above, you will learn so much about the swing and become pretty autonomous when it comes to your swing. When I learned why I was early extending and what the root causes were, I stopped looking for quick tips on youtube to try and hit the ball further with my over the top swing. 

Other than that, GG's swing philosophy really resonated with me because, you have a lot less to think about. Just set  up properly and turn and burn with a square club face. I will say this, you have to be willing to go through a full swing overhaul with any program you get into. You need to be willing to stick with your instructor and not chase clickbait YouTube videos that are not going to Give you the full Swing formula.

I highly recommend GG and his program, its a very complete program that will extremely help anyone. but he is not the end all be all. My point is, find a swing philosophy that resonates with you, find someone who teaches it, and stick with them and don't leave their side unless you aren't understanding them. Moving from instructor to instructor will only mess you up, why ? because each instructor approaches the swing differently. 

Hope this helps some of you. 

Cheers 

Very good summary CJRoss.  You explained the benefits well.  And your point about finding a coach that resonates with you is spot on.

Personally, I have always had a hard time understanding the takeaway: arms vs. shoulders vs. hips vs. hinge lift and rotation and when they occur.  For whatever reason it has always been hard for me to visualize.  This is one of the areas I think George does a real nice job on.  Not only the takeaway, but the motions of the entire swing.

That said, I have a hard time with his promoted leg action.  Maybe it's because I have 'tight hips' or maybe I just havent hit the 'aha' moment.

Axis1 Rose putter

2 hours ago, Dr Strangelove said:

Very good summary CJRoss.  You explained the benefits well.  And your point about finding a coach that resonates with you is spot on.

Personally, I have always had a hard time understanding the takeaway: arms vs. shoulders vs. hips vs. hinge lift and rotation and when they occur.  For whatever reason it has always been hard for me to visualize.  This is one of the areas I think George does a real nice job on.  Not only the takeaway, but the motions of the entire swing.

That said, I have a hard time with his promoted leg action.  Maybe it's because I have 'tight hips' or maybe I just havent hit the 'aha' moment.

I used to think he had weird leg movement too but his promoted leg action isn’t anything new or different. It seems like a lot of coaches don’t talk about it or at least not in the way he does. GG refers to Snead a lot in videos and especially when it comes to the squat move.

here’s a couple videos from Monte demonstrating the same movement. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLeqd0UlYpI/?igshid=1thc4tlqokypy

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNFrRzmMAPl/?igshid=1kt4wlku2tgze

Eric Cogorno has a few videos on the movement. In one of them he shows how the hip opens naturally just by pushing the his back as you go into the forward bend in transition. I don’t recall the specific video that’s in but this one does a good job of explaining the hip movement too.

I agree Dr.strange love, the leg movement is difficult to get down, but it happens naturally when everything in your swing is right. that's why he emphasizes heavily about balance points, good backswing structures and pivot. If none of those are correct then the legwork he speaks of won't happen. 

Larry Chung and Eric Corgorno teach the same swing philosophy, but they have a different way of teaching it. 

21 hours ago, Dr Strangelove said:

I agree Dr.strange love, the leg movement is difficult to get down, but it happens naturally when everything in your swing is right. that's why he emphasizes heavily about balance points, good backswing structures and pivot. If none of those are correct then the legwork he speaks of won't happen. 

Larry Chung and Eric Corgorno teach the same swing philosophy, but they have a different way of teaching it. ive found good value in their YouTube vids. sometimes hearing something explained differently can help. 

I have 3 lessons left with my current instructor and want to see how that goes, but plan on talking about GG's backswing structure next time. I took the backswing move to the course for the first round this year with no range time and only the thought of "high hands"... Had my best driving in a long time and ended up pulling driver 11 times when I was only planning to hit it off 6 tees. You know you are feeling good when you start cutting corners over environmental reserves...

drive.jpg.60a1df390f557724cfc9570a27266b6f.jpg

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

29 minutes ago, jlukes said:

His Shallower looks like an interesting Smart Ball alternative. Especially intrigued by the ability to put in on the bicep to help keep width

I’ll take some close shots when it arrives and answer any specifics you guys have along the way. 

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

My Shallower came in.  I often exhibit a collapsing left elbow on my swing and never knew what caused it.  Early returns on the shallower are great.  No more collapsing elbow.  Swings are a lot more powerful.

Axis1 Rose putter

On 4/5/2021 at 9:44 AM, RickyBobby_PR said:

I used to think he had weird leg movement too but his promoted leg action isn’t anything new or different. It seems like a lot of coaches don’t talk about it or at least not in the way he does. GG refers to Snead a lot in videos and especially when it comes to the squat move.

here’s a couple videos from Monte demonstrating the same movement. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLeqd0UlYpI/?igshid=1thc4tlqokypy

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNFrRzmMAPl/?igshid=1kt4wlku2tgze

Eric Cogorno has a few videos on the movement. In one of them he shows how the hip opens naturally just by pushing the his back as you go into the forward bend in transition. I don’t recall the specific video that’s in but this one does a good job of explaining the hip movement too.

The interesting thing about the guy in the Cogorno video is that he changes his left foot heel position during the swing.  He picks it up moves it towards the target and then places it back down.

I'm starting to get it by trying to emulate the Matt Wolff pre-swing squat, but at this point my hips are still moving to far forward as they turn.

Axis1 Rose putter

10 minutes ago, Dr Strangelove said:

My Shallower came in.  I often exhibit a collapsing left elbow on my swing and never knew what caused it.  Early returns on the shallower are great.  No more collapsing elbow.  Swings are a lot more powerful.

While I’m waiting for it to arrive, I am trying to see if there are any benefits to wearing it on one arm as opposed to another based upon swing tendencies. 

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

1 minute ago, bens197 said:

While I’m waiting for it to arrive, I am trying to see if there are any benefits to wearing it on one arm as opposed to another based upon swing tendencies. 

If you subscribe to info about the product, George sends you a few drills to use with the device.  In addition to the standard use, another he calls out is to wear it on your right bicep.  It's supposed to help you maintain width.  I haven't tried that yet.

One downer... nothing comes with the shallower other than the product. No instructions, no links to drills, nothing at all.

Axis1 Rose putter

10 minutes ago, Dr Strangelove said:

If you subscribe to info about the product, George sends you a few drills to use with the device.  In addition to the standard use, another he calls out is to wear it on your right bicep.  It's supposed to help you maintain width.  I haven't tried that yet.

One downer... nothing comes with the shallower other than the product. No instructions, no links to drills, nothing at all.

That’s a bummer. I guess we’ll have to share our experiences here and offer up what works and what doesn’t. The width drill sounds pretty cool. 

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

43 minutes ago, Dr Strangelove said:

The interesting thing about the guy in the Cogorno video is that he changes his left foot heel position during the swing.  He picks it up moves it towards the target and then places it back down.

I'm starting to get it by trying to emulate the Matt Wolff pre-swing squat, but at this point my hips are still moving to far forward as they turn.

Rory does it with both feet in his takeaway and downswing. 

45 minutes ago, bens197 said:

He has a bunch of videos on his YouTube channel showing how to use it and why

25 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Rory does it with both feet in his takeaway and downswing. 

I've never noticed.  Will take a look.  One thing I HAVE noticed is the Bryson's of the world have both feet off the ground at impact!

Axis1 Rose putter

22 minutes ago, Dr Strangelove said:

I've never noticed.  Will take a look.  One thing I HAVE noticed is the Bryson's of the world have both feet off the ground at impact!

GG showed video of it in his course. But I imagine if you Google rory footwork or something there’s video of it. The video GG had was just of his feet up to almost his knee.

He has a bunch of videos on his YouTube channel showing how to use it and why

I did a search and watched one of the videos. Seems like a great product. Took a little shot at another product when he was saying it was better than the ball product. I will say it does seem more versatile than the smart ball.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

10 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I did a search and watched one of the videos. Seems like a great product. Took a little shot at another product when he was saying it was better than the ball product. I will say it does seem more versatile than the smart ball.

Yeah he does take a shot at that but I think it’s more in how it’s used or not used by the golfer. The smart ball from some content I’ve seen is only supposed to be used for 3/4 shots or somewhere between left arm parallel and short of a full swing. The concept of connected to that point is something GG supports and in his course and I think in his social media lessons you will see the use of a towel tucked under both arms to the same point in the swing. His philosophy is that keeping the arms close past that robs the golfer of speed. He prefers to have abduction at the top of the swing, which is what he mentions in several  of those videos for the shallower.