I am a fan of GG and have been watching his Instagram and other stuff for probably 3-4 years. What GG teaches isn’t anything new. Here’s a video of him on GC talking about the swing. Start watching from the 1:25 mark and what Wolff is doing isn’t unique to him or what Gag teaches.

https://www.golfchannel.com/video/2019-travelers-matthew-wolff-golf-swing-george-gankas

Here’s an interview with Travis Fulton where in he talks about how he took what others did. He uses a lot of stuff the greats from the past did and some new guys including Jamie Sadlowski. Starts about the 4 min mark.

• Like 2

Found a local teacher that is extremely highly rated that shares a lot of of the same philosophies as GG. 

I think I might opt for a one hour lesson with him. Price is more than I'd normally pay but I think a one hour session would be worth it 

• Like 1

Lol that squat looks ugly... but I gotta give it a try!

The rotation and applying pressure from the ground up is the “new” big thing in swing instruction. Technology has helped teachers learn how the swing becomes more effective. Video let teachers see the swing better, Launch monitors taught us the real ball flight laws and how to optimize the launch, and pressure plates now allow us to see how a player moves in the swing. The following article talks about how pressure through the toes versus heel may be helpful for your swing type.

https://www.golf.com/instruction/2019/07/10/what-is-golf-swing-pressure/amp/?__twitter_impression=true
  • Like 3

42 minutes ago, Kanoito said:

Lol that squat looks ugly... but I gotta give it a try!

It’s not necessarily a squat. Many call that or what Pretty much every good to tour level players do a squat. What is happening is getting the knees and this the body back to a “level” position before the lead side gets higher than the trail side reversing what happened in the takeaway. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I am a fan of GG and have been watching his Instagram and other stuff for probably 3-4 years. What GG teaches isn’t anything new. Here’s a video of him on GC talking about the swing. Start watching from the 1:25 mark and what Wolff is doing isn’t unique to him or what Gag teaches.

https://www.golfchannel.com/video/2019-travelers-matthew-wolff-golf-swing-george-gankas

Here’s an interview with Travis Fulton where in he talks about how he took what others did. He uses a lot of stuff the greats from the past did and some new guys including Jamie Sadlowski. Starts about the 4 min mark.

That was really interesting, thanks for posting

6 minutes ago, perseveringgolfer said:

That was really interesting, thanks for posting

As consil posted earlier technology has changed how things are done but in reality the principles of the golf swing haven’t really changed but rather improved for efficiency. 

Takeaways, top of swings, the transition and to a point the downswing and the follow thru varies by golfer but if one looks at the good players up to the pros from roughly club parallel to ground up to and just past impact they all are in pretty identical positions. 

The guys at athletic motion golf have gears and they use pro swings they have captured and they talk about how they all do the same things movement wise in their swings and how there is just slight differences in the positions.

• Like 2

I have been watching George's videos for a while, they're very interesting and he has a way to talk to people that most other teachers don't have. He had an incident last year with a partner online who has taken his "GG Swing Tips" website and channel, which is why George has rebranded a bit.

One of the things I like about him is he is able to relate to people in a way that makes sense to them. In one video he asked a student, "are you better if I tell you feels or if I put up some pool noodles and things for you to avoid." Something so simple but is going to be a big learning difference for many and shows his ability to teach, not just understand the golf swing.

• Like 1

GG is the flavor of the month because Wolff won.... Why isn’t anyone talking about Kuchar’s coach? Kuchar’s won MULTIPLE times this season, and is leading the FedEx Cup standings. Spieth’s Coach, McCormick I believe, was hot when Spieth had that big year as a “youngster” on Tour. “Jocking” a coach because one of his players wins quickly on Tour, and then claiming that THIS coach is REALLY teaching, or doing something so different is hyperbole at best.
Good gracious. Haney was REALLY hot when he had Tiger, then when Tiger switched again, Sean Foley was the best... Slow the roll, folks. Anyone talking about Schauffele’s coach? JT’s coach? Patrick Cantlay’s coach? Nawwww. Those coaches ain’t got NOTHING on GG! He’s the REAL deal....
As Salt-N-Pepa said, “Pssshhhh, whateva!”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 2

7 hours ago, PMookie said:

GG is the flavor of the month because Wolff won.... Why isn’t anyone talking about Kuchar’s coach? Kuchar’s won MULTIPLE times this season, and is leading the FedEx Cup standings. Spieth’s Coach, McCormick I believe, was hot when Spieth had that big year as a “youngster” on Tour. “Jocking” a coach because one of his players wins quickly on Tour, and then claiming that THIS coach is REALLY teaching, or doing something so different is hyperbole at best.
Good gracious. Haney was REALLY hot when he had Tiger, then when Tiger switched again, Sean Foley was the best... Slow the roll, folks. Anyone talking about Schauffele’s coach? JT’s coach? Patrick Cantlay’s coach? Nawwww. Those coaches ain’t got NOTHING on GG! He’s the REAL deal....

Gankas has been quite popular for around 3-4 years now at least. He's getting some accolades because of Wolff, sure, but he's certainly not flavor of the month.

He also gets a lot of talk because he's accessible - he offers video lessons online, the "average joe" can afford to go see him still (for the most part, anyways), he's got YouTube & Instagram videos galore that a lot of people find helpful, etc etc etc. 

Again, just because someone's being talked up because of his techniques and student results doesn't mean that every other coach is lesser or bad. I don't understand why a thread discussing someone's techniques and teaching style automatically means everyone else is worse by comparison. That's just not the way it works. 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, PMookie said:

He may be the flavor of the month as far as tv coverage and Wolff having success in his short career but GG is far from the flavor of the month in instruction. As mentioned earlier in the thread he worked with adam Scott, Harrington is working with him. Sung Kang has a win on tour, he’s worked with Danny Lee.  He has Johnny Rodriquez who had some status on web.com. He’s had high level amateurs in his stable for awhile. 

• Like 2

Just now, russtopherb said:

Gankas has been quite popular for around 3-4 years now at least. He's getting some accolades because of Wolff, sure, but he's certainly not flavor of the month.

He also gets a lot of talk because he's accessible - he offers video lessons online, the "average joe" can afford to go see him still (for the most part, anyways), he's got YouTube & Instagram videos galore that a lot of people find helpful, etc etc etc. 

Again, just because someone's being talked up because of his techniques and student results doesn't mean that every other coach is lesser or bad. I don't understand why a thread discussing someone's techniques and teaching style automatically means everyone else is worse by comparison. That's just not the way it works. 

He’s quite expensive. 

Just now, RickyBobby_PR said:

He’s quite expensive. 

That's why I put "(for the  most part, anyways)". For some people, $400/hour is an acceptable cost. That's still far cheaper than in-person lessons with any of the Harmons, Haney, Hardy, Leadbetter, etc. Bottom line, Gankas is more visible and more accessible AND he's got Wolff's wins backing him up along with working with the other pros you mentioned. 

For full disclosure, I'm not even a big fan of his. However, I'm a huge fan of people finding pros that they like and learn from, and get them excited to play more golf.  

29 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

That's why I put "(for the  most part, anyways)". For some people, $400/hour is an acceptable cost. That's still far cheaper than in-person lessons with any of the Harmons, Haney, Hardy, Leadbetter, etc. Bottom line, Gankas is more visible and more accessible AND he's got Wolff's wins backing him up along with working with the other pros you mentioned. 

For full disclosure, I'm not even a big fan of his. However, I'm a huge fan of people finding pros that they like and learn from, and get them excited to play more golf.  

Yeah when it comes to those guys he’s definitely a cheap option. The interesting thing is he’s accessible/visible because a buddy of his on tour told him he needed to get on social media and just do some funny stuff and some tips. 

Its weird how it took Wolff and his “unique” swing winning for the media to talk about GG when sung Kang had won the Byron Nelson just a couple months ago and had some good finishes in the last couple years. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, PMookie said:

Golf instructors and true students of the game absolutely talk about and investigate the other coaches.  Don't get mad at the media or those who succumb to the message.  Just do your thing and learn what you can from each.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Dr Strangelove said:

Is the website better than his YouTube stuff?  I DONT think he communicates info very well.  Awful actually.  But that's just me.  PS. He should pull up his pants and get a smaller hat. 🙂

It's just a matter of what speaks to you as an individual and how you process information. I don't agree with everything he says, but the way he breaks down parts of the swing is very similar (if not exactly the same) as how I tend to look at those parts.

I also like that he isn't about changing a swing simply because of how it looks. His explanation of "match-ups" is spot-on IMO. Coaches like Gankas will help the sport return to more personalized swings instead of the text-book cookie cutter type which is nice - not that I have anything against that type of swing. I'd have to be crazy to suggest there's anything wrong with swings like those belonging to Adam Scott or Rory McIlroy.

Just now, TR1PTIK said:

It's just a matter of what speaks to you as an individual and how you process information. I don't agree with everything he says, but the way he breaks down parts of the swing is very similar (if not exactly the same) as how I tend to look at those parts.

I also like that he isn't about changing a swing simply because of how it looks. His explanation of "match-ups" is spot-on IMO. Coaches like Gankas will help the sport return to more personalized swings instead of the text-book cookie cutter type which is nice - not that I have anything against that type of swing. I'd have to be crazy to suggest there's anything wrong with swings like those belonging to Adam Scott or Rory McIlroy.

Thanks. Apologies if my comment came off as aggressive.  The challenge from the videos I have viewed so far is that he offers so many options (you can do this, or that, or this) that I'm left scratching my head as to what to do. That's why I am curious if his paid stuff has a bit more instruction to it.  Shawn Clements teaches a similar concept, but I struggle with the leg action there too.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Dr Strangelove said:

Thanks. Apologies if my comment came off as aggressive.  The challenge from the videos I have viewed so far is that he offers so many options (you can do this, or that, or this) that I'm left scratching my head as to what to do. That's why I am curious if his paid stuff has a bit more instruction to it.  Shawn Clements teaches a similar concept, but I struggle with the leg action there too.

He doesn’t teach a specific swing especially the backswing. His method is about rotation and getting open and somewhat passive hands.

from what I’ve read his new site is well designed and informative. One year subscription is the cost of a single lesson with him.

1 hour ago, Dr Strangelove said:

Shawn Clements teaches a similar concept, but I struggle with the leg action there too.

Interesting, because I see next to no similarities in the primary lessons/moves they teach.

4 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

Interesting, because I see next to no similarities in the primary lessons/moves they teach.

He doesn't talk about squatting but a lot of the lessons focus on the same concept of using the ground.  The slow motions on his subscription site look almost the same.  Of course, he IS prescriptive.