Jump to content

Recommended Posts

On 4/5/2021 at 9:44 AM, RickyBobby_PR said:

I used to think he had weird leg movement too but his promoted leg action isn’t anything new or different. It seems like a lot of coaches don’t talk about it or at least not in the way he does. GG refers to Snead a lot in videos and especially when it comes to the squat move.

here’s a couple videos from Monte demonstrating the same movement. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLeqd0UlYpI/?igshid=1thc4tlqokypy
 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNFrRzmMAPl/?igshid=1kt4wlku2tgze
 

Eric Cogorno has a few videos on the movement. In one of them he shows how the hip opens naturally just by pushing the his back as you go into the forward bend in transition. I don’t recall the specific video that’s in but this one does a good job of explaining the hip movement too.

 

The interesting thing about the guy in the Cogorno video is that he changes his left foot heel position during the swing.  He picks it up moves it towards the target and then places it back down.

I'm starting to get it by trying to emulate the Matt Wolff pre-swing squat, but at this point my hips are still moving to far forward as they turn.

  • Like 1

:ping-small: G410 Plus
:ping-small: G410 3 wood, :cobra-small:F6 Baffler 
:callaway-small:XR 4, 5 hybrids
PXG  0211 Gen 1 irons
:ping-small: Sigma G Craz-E putter

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The wonderful thing about golf instruction is that there's a teacher and a style out there that will fit with nearly anyone and everyone. Doesn't matter if it's online or in person. People all respond

I’m headed out to LA to take two lessons from him in a few months.  I’m not expecting him to work miracles, I just want to feel what he’s talking about and hear his teaching cues in person.  It’s defi

I’ll take some close shots when it arrives and answer any specifics you guys have along the way. 

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, Dr Strangelove said:

My Shallower came in.  I often exhibit a collapsing left elbow on my swing and never knew what caused it.  Early returns on the shallower are great.  No more collapsing elbow.  Swings are a lot more powerful.

While I’m waiting for it to arrive, I am trying to see if there are any benefits to wearing it on one arm as opposed to another based upon swing tendencies. 

  • PING G400 LST 8.5 Evenflow Black 65g 6.5
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Ben Hogan PTx Combo Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • TaylorMade MG2 TW 56 & 60 Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5
  • TaylorMade TP5

 

Western, NY

5.7 Index

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, bens197 said:

While I’m waiting for it to arrive, I am trying to see if there are any benefits to wearing it on one arm as opposed to another based upon swing tendencies. 

If you subscribe to info about the product, George sends you a few drills to use with the device.  In addition to the standard use, another he calls out is to wear it on your right bicep.  It's supposed to help you maintain width.  I haven't tried that yet.

One downer... nothing comes with the shallower other than the product. No instructions, no links to drills, nothing at all.

  • Like 1

:ping-small: G410 Plus
:ping-small: G410 3 wood, :cobra-small:F6 Baffler 
:callaway-small:XR 4, 5 hybrids
PXG  0211 Gen 1 irons
:ping-small: Sigma G Craz-E putter

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Dr Strangelove said:

If you subscribe to info about the product, George sends you a few drills to use with the device.  In addition to the standard use, another he calls out is to wear it on your right bicep.  It's supposed to help you maintain width.  I haven't tried that yet.

One downer... nothing comes with the shallower other than the product. No instructions, no links to drills, nothing at all.

That’s a bummer. I guess we’ll have to share our experiences here and offer up what works and what doesn’t. The width drill sounds pretty cool. 

  • Like 1
  • PING G400 LST 8.5 Evenflow Black 65g 6.5
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Ben Hogan PTx Combo Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • TaylorMade MG2 TW 56 & 60 Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5
  • TaylorMade TP5

 

Western, NY

5.7 Index

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Dr Strangelove said:

The interesting thing about the guy in the Cogorno video is that he changes his left foot heel position during the swing.  He picks it up moves it towards the target and then places it back down.

I'm starting to get it by trying to emulate the Matt Wolff pre-swing squat, but at this point my hips are still moving to far forward as they turn.

Rory does it with both feet in his takeaway and downswing. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, bens197 said:

While I’m waiting for it to arrive, I am trying to see if there are any benefits to wearing it on one arm as opposed to another based upon swing tendencies. 

He has a bunch of videos on his YouTube channel showing how to use it and why

  • Like 1

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Rory does it with both feet in his takeaway and downswing. 

I've never noticed.  Will take a look.  One thing I HAVE noticed is the Bryson's of the world have both feet off the ground at impact!

:ping-small: G410 Plus
:ping-small: G410 3 wood, :cobra-small:F6 Baffler 
:callaway-small:XR 4, 5 hybrids
PXG  0211 Gen 1 irons
:ping-small: Sigma G Craz-E putter

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Dr Strangelove said:

I've never noticed.  Will take a look.  One thing I HAVE noticed is the Bryson's of the world have both feet off the ground at impact!

GG showed video of it in his course. But I imagine if you Google rory footwork or something there’s video of it. The video GG had was just of his feet up to almost his knee.

  • Like 2

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Link to post
Share on other sites
He has a bunch of videos on his YouTube channel showing how to use it and why

I did a search and watched one of the videos. Seems like a great product. Took a little shot at another product when he was saying it was better than the ball product. I will say it does seem more versatile than the smart ball.
  • Like 1

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  Bellum Winmore 787

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180

 

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, cnosil said:


I did a search and watched one of the videos. Seems like a great product. Took a little shot at another product when he was saying it was better than the ball product. I will say it does seem more versatile than the smart ball.

Yeah he does take a shot at that but I think it’s more in how it’s used or not used by the golfer. The smart ball from some content I’ve seen is only supposed to be used for 3/4 shots or somewhere between left arm parallel and short of a full swing. The concept of connected to that point is something GG supports and in his course and I think in his social media lessons you will see the use of a towel tucked under both arms to the same point in the swing. His philosophy is that keeping the arms close past that robs the golfer of speed. He prefers to have abduction at the top of the swing, which is what he mentions in several  of those videos for the shallower.

 

  • Like 1

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cjross19 said:

For those who are interested in the swing changes I have from the program, here's a side by side comparison of my swing a year ago to my swing today. 

 

I love the coat hanger drill. So good!!! Swing looks great!

Driver: :cobra-small: King F9 Speedback, Xphlexxx Busa 2 Liquid, XX stiff, 45”

Fwy:  :callaway-small: Super Hybrid 17*, Aldila RIP Alpha 105 S, tipped 1”

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 105X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4-10, :Nippon: Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Wedges: Vega VW-06 50*/54*/58*, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

All clubs have :Arccos:  In the Winn Dri-Tac 2.0 Oversize grips

Link to post
Share on other sites

I started going back thru the course again last week reviewing the short game sections on chipping and pitching as I’m going to be getting back to adding more practice time to these areas again like I did several years back.

This weekend I started reviewing the full swing videos again with focus on setup and backswing. 
 

For those that may be curious about the website and what type of detail is in it.

For the full swing he has 4 sections 

foundations which goes over a lot of his terminology.

Setup, backswing and downswing.

The number of videos in each varies as does the length of each from :30 to 7+ mins.

each of those topics is broken down into sections with a series of videos in each.

Foundations has 25 videos

Setup 45

backswing 20

downswing 151

heres a few snippets of the topics in the downswing. In both the backswing and downswing he has a section going over p1-p10 both from a face on and down the line.

 

BFA5391A-192D-43EB-9D47-97F037E87247.jpeg

4B4389CE-7924-4229-BCAF-4F22AC078314.jpeg

8E86D8B3-43BD-46DB-9A0A-B88844B12075.jpeg

CC36DB67-BFFC-4BA7-A446-E48657CC9E0E.jpeg

  • Like 4

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I started going back thru the course again last week reviewing the short game sections on chipping and pitching as I’m going to be getting back to adding more practice time to these areas again like I did several years back.

This weekend I started reviewing the full swing videos again with focus on setup and backswing. 
 

For those that may be curious about the website and what type of detail is in it.

For the full swing he has 4 sections 

foundations which goes over a lot of his terminology.

Setup, backswing and downswing.

The number of videos in each varies as does the length of each from :30 to 7+ mins.

each of those topics is broken down into sections with a series of videos in each.

Foundations has 25 videos

Setup 45

backswing 20

downswing 151

heres a few snippets of the topics in the downswing. In both the backswing and downswing he has a section going over p1-p10 both from a face on and down the line.

 

BFA5391A-192D-43EB-9D47-97F037E87247.jpeg

4B4389CE-7924-4229-BCAF-4F22AC078314.jpeg

8E86D8B3-43BD-46DB-9A0A-B88844B12075.jpeg

CC36DB67-BFFC-4BA7-A446-E48657CC9E0E.jpeg

Rotation is what I have been working on with Monte, particularly "rotating my chest".  Very difficult for me.

Since I have been working on my swing, I have neglected a lot of the short game practice I used to do.  Got to get back on that, as well.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Rotation is what I have been working on with Monte, particularly "rotating my chest".  Very difficult for me.

Since I have been working on my swing, I have neglected a lot of the short game practice I used to do.  Got to get back on that, as well.

Rotation is my big issue to it’s related to lack of depth in the backswing and arm structure. The focus of my lessons last year with one of gg’s students turned teacher was working on reducing forearm and shoulder rotation and better hip depth.

I had other priorities going on so I didn’t put much focus on practicing but going to change that this year.

A couple years ago I got away from spending time at one of the local courses that has a good practice green. Going to spend at least an hour there this year along with time working on the swing again.

  • Like 2

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Top Hunge said:

Brandon Ray at Low Country Lessons teaches a lot of Gankas. He's located at Patriots Point in Cahrleston, SC. Great guy and teacher.

Some other instructors I’ve found that are directly coming from working under GG are Milo Lines and Henry Fall. 
 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/15/2021 at 7:45 AM, Cjross19 said:

For those who are interested in the swing changes I have from the program, here's a side by side comparison of my swing a year ago to my swing today. 

 

IMG_0053.MOV 47.8 MB · 6 downloads

Both before and after look pretty respectable to me, but on the after swing your lower body looks much more stable, more balanced. Anyway, glad that you're making real progress!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

1 week down with the shallower.  

I won't go deep dive but just some quick points if anyone here wants to expound.

1) It is fantastic for putting.  Anyone who struggles to keep their arms moving congruently or fights their wrists breaking, it would certainly help.

2) There is no set forearm for RH v LH.  I swing RH but I am naturally left handed.  I've found more success with it on my left forearm than my right.  George recommends RH golfers wear it on their right forearm. I am not trying to be a rebel, it just works better for me and what I am trying to feel and see on video.

3) I've liked warming up with it on the range using wedges.  Pitches for 10-25 shots help me really create some rhythm and tempo but also set a good foundation for the bigger swings.

There will be more.  It's pretty simple but gets the job done.  I can leave it in my carry bag without sacrificing space and for a guy who isn't a big fan of training aids, GG made a product that I really enjoy.

  • Like 4
  • PING G400 LST 8.5 Evenflow Black 65g 6.5
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Ben Hogan PTx Combo Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • TaylorMade MG2 TW 56 & 60 Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5
  • TaylorMade TP5

 

Western, NY

5.7 Index

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...