TESTERS WANTED! ×

How much difference does course length make?

2 minutes ago, CarlH said:

Everyone seems to be approaching this as playing shorter courses.  As an older player, I'm more concerned with having to play longer courses where reaching the green in regulation leaves me with hybrids and long irons to the green.  So, in the case of older golfers (such as myself), distance becomes a big deal.  The game becomes much harder when you can't hit the greens in regulation and have to rely on getting up and down on 80% of the holes.  You either develop a superior short game or you experience higher scores. 

Move up a tee box in longer courses. Why punish yourself by playing tees that have you hitting longer clubs into par 4s.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Man...I missed this when it was first posted, I was on vacation that week.

But great question and one I can answer pretty accurately, by saying right now it makes a big difference to me.  15 years ago probably not so much.

On Wednesday Nights I play in a Mensa league it's only 9 holes and is usually played on a course that measures 6200  from the whites for the full 18 holes.  I have either a FW or hybrid approach on just about every par 4 and even on the tee of some par 3's.    Par 5's are played with 3 full shots. Driver/FW/ and usually hybrid.  My scores for 9 holes can range from 44 to 52. 

On Thursdays I play every few weeks in a senior league on the same course.  It's 18 holes, and they play the Gold tees at about 5800.  I rarely have more than a hybrid on any approach, and on a couple holes in particular I will be hitting a PW as opposed to a 3 wood or 7 wood from the other tees.    My scores from these tees have ranged from 82 to 88.   

Several years ago when I could hit it further I often said, I could shoot 95 from the tips or the red tees, that it didn't' matter.   As I've gotten older and lost distance, it's definitely a disadvantage to play the longer course, but my short game has evolved that I feel playing from reasonable tees, I should be able to score respectively. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

2 hours ago, cnosil said:

The question I would ask is why are you leaving yourself awkward distances? Take less club off the tee and leave yourself in a favorable position. Even tour pros avoid specific distances

This used to be the conventional wisdom, but some of the newer statistical analyses suggest that it might not be the best policy.  Most players will have better results when they're hitting from closer to the green, all other factors being equal.  I've worked the past few years on doing just this, NOT laying back to ___ yards, but getting as close as I can without taking on too much additional risk.  I'll happily get to 50 or 60 yards, and now that I have a little experience under my belt with those shots, I'm confident I'll hit a decent one.  It took some getting used to, and some practice, but its worth the effort.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Just now, RickyBobby_PR said:

Move up a tee box in longer courses. Why punish yourself by playing tees that have you hitting longer clubs into par 4s.

No doubt this!!  Next time we tee it up together at WW you'll be seeing me in front of you from the Whites, and heck maybe even the golds 😎

Just now, Golfspy_CG2 said:

No doubt this!!  Next time we tee it up together at WW you'll be seeing me in front of you from the Whites, and heck maybe even the golds 😎

The whites there are no joke. If my swing feels off on the range or if I show up as a single and go right out I play the whites instead of either tournament or blue tees

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

31 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I do, but I was merely responding to the question regarding what difference course length makes.  In my weekend games, they require me to play from the back tees and it does make a huge difference.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

This used to be the conventional wisdom, but some of the newer statistical analyses suggest that it might not be the best policy.  Most players will have better results when they're hitting from closer to the green, all other factors being equal.  I've worked the past few years on doing just this, NOT laying back to ___ yards, but getting as close as I can without taking on too much additional risk.  I'll happily get to 50 or 60 yards, and now that I have a little experience under my belt with those shots, I'm confident I'll hit a decent one.  It took some getting used to, and some practice, but its worth the effort.

Aware of strokes gained and this approach. This works well for someone that works on their game and has the ability to adjust to the odd distances and does well managing their way around a course. Would love to see numbers for the average handicap player the follow the differing approach. I personally think they would benefit from playing aggressively but picking spots that won’t get themselves into bad trouble when they have their typical miss. Then play to middle of greens and not chasing pins. The question is do players have the patience to play the game in that manner?

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

... The most important criteria for choosing appropriate yardage is: are you hitting the club the course designer intended you to hit? Obviously if you have an erratic swing and game, distance may not mean as much if any hole can be a struggle. But if you have some reasonable consistency, choosing a distance that allows you to play the course they way it is designed to be played is essential. 

... I will use my favorite local muni as an example. 2nd hole is a 340yd shortish uphill par 4 that doglegs 90* left with two bunkers guarding the corner. There is a deep bunker with extremely thick rough surrounding it protecting the green. I hit my 2 iron around 220 and that gets me even with or just past the corner, leaving me a pw-9 iron approach to a narrow green where that bunker must be avoided at all costs. If you cannot hit a drive 210 or longer, you don't have a look at the green and will be hitting something longer than a short iron which means even if you do carry the bunker, you probably wont be able to hold the green. That is not the way this hole is designed to be played. 

... The 7th hole is a long tough uphill par 4 the usually plays into the wind. At 430 yds it is a very difficult hole for better players and has 2 deep bunkers on the left side to grab errant shots that are a little left, usually from better players. It plays 405 from the front tees and the front is open for a run up shot with a fairway wood and the right side, where most higher index players can end up is a grass bunker with normal depth grass, actually providing a little cushion under the ball for an easy chip/pitch. So it is the hardest hole on the course but fair for both low and high index players.

... #12 is a 520 yd par 5 with thick woods and a creek on the left and the hole is about a 45* dogleg left with OB right. It calls for at least a 230yd drive to  have a shot around the trees with a big tree guarding the corner. Anything short of that means you won't even have a look at the fairway and chances are your 2nd shot will end up in the deep rough. So playing the forward tees at 480 means a 190yd drive will at least give you a look at the fairway and a chance to leave your 2nd shot in position to play to the green. 

... I would add there are certainly some older players and women that are very good with hybrids and fairway woods, so they can play a course that isn't exactly the the way it was designed to be played, yet they have the skill with long clubs to hit it high enough with a soft enough landing to hold the green. Like everything in this awesome game, it is not a cut and dried "distance only" dilemma, but something that takes your physical and mental skills into account when deciding what distance to play to provide that balance between Fun and Challenge.   

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

No doubt this!!  Next time we tee it up together at WW you'll be seeing me in front of you from the Whites, and heck maybe even the golds 

And this is a big reason why courses should stick to labeling the tee boxes with colors only. As soon as the terms “senior” or “ladies” tees get used, some people’s egos take over against what is best for their game (as if it is an insult or something).

I regularly play with guys I drive it 30-50yds past and they insist on playing from the same boxes as I do. They’re giving up 3-4 clubs on some holes, and then get frustrated when I’m hitting 9 iron and they’ve got 6 iron. Just move up! That’s why we have different boxes!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Instagram:  @tony_rosselli_

:SuperSpeed:Training

Pre training max driver speed: 124mph

Current: 130mph

WITB:

Driver: :ping-small:G425 Max, 9*

Woods: :taylormade-small: 2007 Burner TP 3 wood and 5 wood

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z765 4-PW (1 degree flat) with KBS $-130 shafts

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 50/12/F, 54/10/S and 58/12/D

Putter:  L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1

Ball:  :titelist-small: ProV1

25 minutes ago, CarlH said:

I do, but I was merely responding to the question regarding what difference course length makes.  In my weekend games, they require me to play from the back tees and it does make a huge difference.

Why are you forced to play from back tees? I play with several seniors who used to play back until they found out a buddy of ours who moved out of state moved up a tee ox, now they do too.

we play money games and their handicap is adjusted for the tees they play just as ours are if we decide to go back to the tips.

golf is supposed to be fun and handicap system is there to account for the differences in skills.

2 minutes ago, ChasingScratch said:

And this is a big reason why courses should stick to labeling the tee boxes with colors only. As soon as the terms “senior” or “ladies” tees get used, some people’s egos take over against what is best for their game (as if it is an insult or something).

I regularly play with guys I drive it 30-50yds past and they insist on playing from the same boxes as I do. They’re giving up 3-4 clubs on some holes, and then get frustrated when I’m hitting 9 iron and they’ve got 6 iron. Just move up! That’s why we have different boxes!

... Amen! Thank goodness many courses are replacing the red "LADIES" tees with green "FORWARD" tees. I got paired up with a guy a few weeks ago that moved up to the green tees and admitted he would never play from red tees. Same course, same tees but ego would not allow him to play from reds yet greens are acceptable 😳. He was a typical high index player and struggled from the forward tees and I cant imagine what he played like from the longer tees.  

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

... Amen! Thank goodness many courses are replacing the red "LADIES" tees with green "FORWARD" tees. I got paired up with a guy a few weeks ago that moved up to the green tees and admitted he would never play from red tees. Same course, same tees but ego would not allow him to play from reds yet greens are acceptable . He was a typical high index player and struggled from the forward tees and I cant imagine what he played like from the longer tees.  

Maybe I should do a study to see what color most would find acceptable to play from. Then courses can just paint the tee markers whatever appeals to most golfers.

Or maybe call them the names of famous golfers. Like the ‘Hogan tees’ or the ‘Nicklaus’ tees. Give no indications of anything other than length and a fun historical golfer.

WITB:

36 minutes ago, ChasingScratch said:

Maybe I should do a study to see what color most would find acceptable to play from. Then courses can just paint the tee markers whatever appeals to most golfers.

Or maybe call them the names of famous golfers. Like the ‘Hogan tees’ or the ‘Nicklaus’ tees. Give no indications of anything other than length and a fun historical golfer.

I don’t think color or name matters. It’s perceptions that need to change and until that happens many will play the wrong tees because of some aspect of ego. Those with realistic views of their game will play appropriate tees.

i was behind a 2 some recently (thankfully I didn’t take the starter up on the offer to join them and got paired with a dad and his two sons that were cool to play with). The 2some played the tips which are a fraction shy of 7000. One guy never saw the fairway on par 4&5. His buddy hit every tee shot on same holes to the right and neither reached a green in regulation. The dad and his one done and myself could have played the tips but the son wanted to play the tees he was going to use in his junior competition the following week. The other soon who didn’t hit it as far always tees up one tee box in front of us. Both kids (12&15) knew their game and where they should play from. 

4 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:
I don’t think color or name matters. It’s perceptions that need to change and until that happens many will play the wrong tees because of some aspect of ego. Those with realistic views of their game will play appropriate tees. i was behind a 2 some recently (thankfully I didn’t take the starter up on the offer to join them and got paired with a dad and his two sons that were cool to play with). The 2some played the tips which are a fraction shy of 7000. One guy never saw the fairway on par 4&5. His buddy hit every tee shot on same holes to the right and neither reached a green in regulation. The dad and his one done and myself could have played the tips but the son wanted to play the tees he was going to use in his junior competition the following week. The other soon who didn’t hit it as far always tees up one tee box in front of us. Both kids (12&15) knew their game and where they should play from.  

For sure it’s an ego/realism problem first and foremost, regardless of how you slice it.

I just wonder if a change in the lingo might help in some way (as to chisag’s most recent post in this thread).

Edited by ChasingScratch

WITB:

19 minutes ago, ChasingScratch said:

For sure it’s an ego/realism problem first and foremost, regardless of how you slice it.

I just wonder if a change in the lingo might help in some way (as to chisag’s most recent post in this thread).

It’s possible but in my experience guys look at the scorecard look for the front tees aka women’s and then go back 2-3 tee boxes from there depending on how many tee boxes there are. Myself and most of the ones I golf with look at distance and play where we feel comfortable.

19 minutes ago, ChasingScratch said:

I really think a big mental issue is that most people don't feel like they "are playing golf" unless they are playing from whatever tees they perceive golf should be played from.

My in-laws are prime examples of this. They play at the same course I do, where the yellow (forward, though on some holes they are marked "Ladies," unfortunately) tees play 4,929 yards, white tees 6,075 yards and blue tees 6,216 (where I play from). 

I've played with them both a couple of times this year, and it never seems like they have all that much fun. My mother-in-law drives the ball about 125 yards with a good swing, maybe 150 if it's bone dry and freshly mowed. My father-in-law hits his driver about 150-175 playing a huge slice. On almost every hole they are hitting woods and hybrids two or three times, and the only time they use an iron is around the green. 

My wife has told them numerous times that my father-in-law should play from the forward tees and my mother-in-law should map out a better course distance (like what @GolfSpy MPR does for his son) and tee it up in the fairway. They don't play for handicap or money, so what's the point of being frustrated? But neither will do it, with my 65-year-old father-in-law saying the yellow tees are for older people. Oh well...

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

3 hours ago, ChasingScratch said:

As long as they don't have Corey Pavin tees, I'm sure those wouldn't get used much at all 😋

There is a course here in NOVA that was designed by Fred Couples, the tips are called the Boom Boom tees. 

3 hours ago, edingc said:
I really think a big mental issue is that most people don't feel like they "are playing golf" unless they are playing from whatever tees they perceive golf should be played from. My in-laws are prime examples of this. They play at the same course I do, where the yellow (forward, though on some holes they are marked "Ladies," unfortunately) tees play 4,929 yards, white tees 6,075 yards and blue tees 6,216 (where I play from).  I've played with them both a couple of times this year, and it never seems like they have all that much fun. My mother-in-law drives the ball about 125 yards with a good swing, maybe 150 if it's bone dry and freshly mowed. My father-in-law hits his driver about 150-175 playing a huge slice. On almost every hole they are hitting woods and hybrids two or three times, and the only time they use an iron is around the green.  My wife has told them numerous times that my father-in-law should play from the forward tees and my mother-in-law should map out a better course distance (like what [mention=58668]GolfSpy MPR[/mention] does for his son) and tee it up in the fairway. They don't play for handicap or money, so what's the point of being frustrated? But neither will do it, with my 65-year-old father-in-law saying the yellow tees are for older people. Oh well...

To this point, when I went to Branson with my wife for vacation, we played the Mountain Top par 3 course the first day. For her, most holes were around 100-150yds. She had a blast and hit the flag on her second tee shot. 

The next round we played was at Branson Hills. She insisted on playing for the forward tee box on the front nine (even though she was using my old set which is way to heavy for her, shafts not right, etc.).

She started to really struggle so I gently encouraged her to just play from 150-200yds out on the back nine. She had much more fun and decided to not give up on the game after all!

One of my Instagram followers brought up this idea the other day, “Play the most forward tee box until you can shoot par from there, then move back one tee box, then repeat the process.”

I really thought that was a fascinating idea!

Thoughts?

It’s almost like earning your learners permit before you get your drivers license. Or mastering a module 1 before you can progress to module 2.

Or what about this? Have a “front tee box challenge” and see how low you can go! Make it fun. That would be good for me because it would force me to hit more than just Driver and wedge on most par 4’s.

Edited by ChasingScratch

WITB:

23 minutes ago, ChasingScratch said:

Or what about this? Have a “front tee box challenge” and see how low you can go! Make it fun. That would be good for me because it would force me to hit more than just Driver and wedge on most par 4’s.

I think playing from a different set of tees every now and then would be totally fun and worth it. For example, jumping up to the 4,929 yard tees at my course would require a completely different strategy. I'd be hitting way more mid-irons from tees and far fewer drivers. I'd anticipate about the same about of short work since a lot of my game is driver-wedge already. But I would definitely have at least one eagle opportunity if I played everything right. I'll have to give that a go before the season is over.

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

I think playing from a different set of tees every now and then would be totally fun and worth it. For example, jumping up to the 4,929 yard tees at my course would require a completely different strategy. I'd be hitting way more mid-irons from tees and far fewer drivers. I'd anticipate about the same about of short work since a lot of my game is driver-wedge already. But I would definitely have at least one eagle opportunity if I played everything right. I'll have to give that a go before the season is over.

Yes!! I’d give it a go as well, the challenge would’ve convincing my partners to go for it.

WITB:

Duplicate post for some reason, apologies. 

Edited by ChasingScratch

WITB:

1 hour ago, ChasingScratch said:

To this point, when I went to Branson with my wife for vacation, we played the Mountain Top par 3 course the first day. For her, most holes were around 100-150yds. She had a blast and hit the flag on her second tee shot. 

The next round we played was at Branson Hills. She insisted on playing for the forward tee box on the front nine (even though she was using my old set which is way to heavy for her, shafts not right, etc.).

She started to really struggle so I gently encouraged her to just play from 150-200yds out on the back nine. She had much more fun and decided to not give up on the game after all!

One of my Instagram followers brought up this idea the other day, “Play the most forward tee box until you can shoot par from there, then move back one tee box, then repeat the process.”

Thoughts?

It’s almost like earning your learners permit before you get your drivers license. Or mastering a module 1 before you can progress to module 2.

The play til you shoot par is a fun challenge and my be something for newer golfers to use but once golfers start hitting the ball with length it becomes course management type play which isn’t a bad thing but most golfers have the mentality of par 4 or par 5 I have to hit driver off the tee. The group of seniors I play with haven’t changed their approach off the tee since they moved up a box. 

23 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

The play til you shoot par is a fun challenge and my be something for newer golfers to use but once golfers start hitting the ball with length it becomes course management type play which isn’t a bad thing but most golfers have the mentality of par 4 or par 5 I have to hit driver off the tee. The group of seniors I play with haven’t changed their approach off the tee since they moved up a box. 

For fun I left driver in the bag one round.  I hit nothing but 5iron off most tee boxes.  Still had birdie looks on par 5's and par 4 holes.  I was really struggling with driver (bad toe hooks) and figured I could play my 2nd from the fairway or 4 from the fairway using driver.  Fascinating stuff.

WITB:

3 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Myself and most of the ones I golf with look at distance and play where we feel comfortable.

This is how I play. I will also factor in course rating, and look more specifically at where yardage is added (if I have time). I've learned from doing this that a lot of courses will add most of the yardage on par 3's, and sometimes that will be the deciding factor.

My current limit for total yardage is about 6800 yards at sea level. That is the absolute max I would feel comfortable playing and even then I know that I have got to have a good day on the course to score within expectations.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

39 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Thoughts?

I've had this thought before, but it's unrealistic for me quite frankly. While I don't play tournaments every week (or even every month), the tournaments I do play in typically require me to play from the back tees. If I'm going to play tournaments then I have to be able to hit the shots required by those tournaments. However, I will mix up the tees on occasion just for fun or depending on who my playing partner is and what they are comfortable with. I'll be driving to KC on Monday to play with a friend who I don't expect will be eager to play from the same yardage I typically would. We'll play from wherever he's comfortable so that the round is enjoyable for both of us.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

And a golfer can make a “short” course as long as they want. Just play less club off the tee to make it “more realistic.”

One nine-hole course I played had several holes that were right around 300yds. However, there was a creek in front and woods behind one of them, and another one had a moat all around it right at the green and a creek that split the fairway into two parts. No chance to fly the green in one with that much risk. They did a pretty good job of protecting those short holes. It was funny to hit PW off the tee on a par 4 though

WITB:

56 minutes ago, ChasingScratch said:

And a golfer can make a “short” course as long as they want. Just play less club off the tee to make it “more realistic.”

One nine-hole course I played had several holes that were right around 300yds. However, there was a creek in front and woods behind one of them, and another one had a moat all around it right at the green and a creek that split the fairway into two parts. No chance to fly the green in one with that much risk. They did a pretty good job of protecting those short holes. It was funny to hit PW off the tee on a par 4 though emoji23.png

How many avg weekend golfers do you see choose to hit something other than driver on par 4 and 5? Even those who watch pga it lpga golf and see the pros hitting less than driver still wont do it because their mentality is I don’t hit it as far as they do.

8 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Why are you forced to play from back tees? I play with several seniors who used to play back until they found out a buddy of ours who moved out of state moved up a tee ox, now they do too.

we play money games and their handicap is adjusted for the tees they play just as ours are if we decide to go back to the tips.

golf is supposed to be fun and handicap system is there to account for the differences in skills.

Because it's a group of 25-30 players and the leader of the group assigned an arbitrary age of 70 to move to the blue tees, despite complaints from those of us not quite 70.  As he's in his 50s, we don't really expect him to change until he's older and we're too old to play 🙂   So, if I want to play with this group, I play the gold tees.  I can still play from the gold tees, but it is much tougher for me to hit GIR.  Still, I manage to win a skin or two in the group, as we reward both gross and net skins.  The game is 2 man best ball net (of a team of 4) and handicaps range from scratch to 19.  We have ages from 40s to mid 80s.  It's a fun group, so I put up with having to play the longer tees, but give him complaints about it at every opportunity 🙂

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

How many avg weekend golfers do you see choose to hit something other than driver on par 4 and 5? Even those who watch pga it lpga golf and see the pros hitting less than driver still wont do it because their mentality is I don’t hit it as far as they do.

Very rare for sure. So many just grab driver on every par 4 or 5 without thinking about the risk/reward. There are holes on some of the courses I play where driver is 100% the wrong play. Even if you hit it perfect you are screwed (think about doglegs if you can’t work the ball on command, you might go through the fairway into the woods and be dead).

I started making Yardage books for the courses I play frequently. It’s amazing what you can learn about how to play a hole if you look from a birds eye view before hand. Some fairways are extremely wide if you play 3 wood instead of driver. Now you have 8 iron into a green from the fairway instead of PW from the trees. For some the fairway is a better play all day.

WITB:

1 hour ago, CarlH said:

Because it's a group of 25-30 players and the leader of the group assigned an arbitrary age of 70 to move to the blue tees, despite complaints from those of us not quite 70.  As he's in his 50s, we don't really expect him to change until he's older and we're too old to play 🙂   So, if I want to play with this group, I play the gold tees.  I can still play from the gold tees, but it is much tougher for me to hit GIR.  Still, I manage to win a skin or two in the group, as we reward both gross and net skins.  The game is 2 man best ball net (of a team of 4) and handicaps range from scratch to 19.  We have ages from 40s to mid 80s.  It's a fun group, so I put up with having to play the longer tees, but give him complaints about it at every opportunity 🙂

I feel you. The group of seniors I play with used to be 16-20 regularly when they were all working full time. They were pretty much set on playing certain tees and age didn’t matter. 

They are usually fun to play with too so even though I’m not a member at that course any more I play with them periodically. 

1 hour ago, ChasingScratch said:

Very rare for sure. So many just grab driver on every par 4 or 5 without thinking about the risk/reward. There are holes on some of the courses I play where driver is 100% the wrong play. Even if you hit it perfect you are screwed (think about doglegs if you can’t work the ball on command, you might go through the fairway into the woods and be dead).

I started making Yardage books for the courses I play frequently. It’s amazing what you can learn about how to play a hole if you look from a birds eye view before hand. Some fairways are extremely wide if you play 3 wood instead of driver. Now you have 8 iron into a green from the fairway instead of PW from the trees. For some the fairway is a better play all day.

Learning course management had a big impact on my hdcp going down. Sometimes I throw it out the window and hit driver as much as possible. Confidence has been high with driver lately and not so much with woods and hybrid. Also there are days where I’m like I’m going to figure out this driver if it is the last thing I do

if more people learned to think their way around the course and put ego aside their scores would drop