TESTERS WANTED! ×

How much difference does course length make?

10 hours ago, ChasingScratch said:

Concerning focusing on driving distance or putting, I guess it depends on who you are playing with. I play with a few guys who will literally 4 or 5 putt most greens. It’s painful to watch. Horrible speed and distance control.

If you are missing a 6 footer by 6 feet, it’s hard to get better.

Also, the point I was making on the IG post was that amateurs can gain distance by moving up in tee boxes without actually having to hit the ball any farther than they already do. Only those playing in competition are forced into a set tee box (thus why the stats for the pros suggest that the farther they hit it the better they score, they all putt amazingly well already). The recreational golfer playing for fun could go all the way up to the front boxes and turn their 175yd drive into the equivalent of a 300yd bomb just by moving up.

Maybe it’s two ways of saying the same thing?

After the mention of your IG post I went back and read the information and it definitely makes sense. I think it is totally applicable when comparing players of similar abilities.  The longer hitting player will definitely have an advantage.    This doesn't mean that you as a player only need to focus on hitting it longer.   A 20+ handicapper can hit is 300 yards,  but if they fail to hit the green and have the pressure to get up and down constantly or have lots of 3 putts,  their scores will suffer.  Every player needs to analyze their game and see where they are losing the most strokes.   For me,  it has been working on short game when I miss the green as well as hitting more greens in regulation.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

After the mention of your IG post I went back and read the information and it definitely makes sense. I think it is totally applicable when comparing players of similar abilities.  The longer hitting player will definitely have an advantage.    This doesn't mean that you as a player only need to focus on hitting it longer.   A 20+ handicapper can hit is 300 yards,  but if they fail to hit the green and have the pressure to get up and down constantly or have lots of 3 putts,  their scores will suffer.  Every player needs to analyze their game and see where they are losing the most strokes.   For me,  it has been working on short game when I miss the green as well as hitting more greens in regulation.  

Exactly. In any one foursome you may have: 

1: 50yr old whose max drive goes 240yds

1: 42yr old whose average drive goes 285

1: senior whose average is 175yds

1: 33yr old who can hit it 300+

The 50yr old and senior might not be able to do anything to improve distance anymore (injuries, time, or any other thing, this is not a stereotype, just a hypothetical example). But what they can do is move up tee boxes to negate the advantage the 33 and 42yr old have, and now it’s pretty much a level field.

This hypothetical group is not too far off from a group I play with. Yet the short hitters still insist to play from where myself and the other long hitter play from. On par 3’s, they’re hitting 3 wood where I’m hitting 7iron. That’s not even close to a fair fight.

If you are not in a position to work on improving distance with the driver, best strategy may be to move up tee boxes and practice the short game.

Pros, college player, and competitive juniors all play the exact same course, thus longer tee shots = advantage. That’s why I said on IG that the range from best to worst putter on the PGA tour is only 2.5 putts/round, where as the longest and shortest hitters range is 40yds!! That’s insane, and why driving distance has such an impact on score at the professional level.

At the recreational level, driver distance should be a non-issue (or significantly minimized) if we play the correct tee boxes.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Instagram:  @tony_rosselli_

:SuperSpeed:Training

Pre training max driver speed: 124mph

Current: 130mph

WITB:

Driver: :ping-small:G425 Max, 9*

Woods: :taylormade-small: 2007 Burner TP 3 wood and 5 wood

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z765 4-PW (1 degree flat) with KBS $-130 shafts

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 50/12/F, 54/10/S and 58/12/D

Putter:  L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1

Ball:  :titelist-small: ProV1

Exactly. In any one foursome you may have: 1: 50yr old whose max drive goes 240yds
1: 42yr old whose average drive goes 285
1: senior whose average is 175yds
1: 33yr old who can hit it 300+

The 50yr old and senior might not be able to do anything to improve distance anymore (injuries, time, or any other thing, this is not a stereotype, just a hypothetical example). But what they can do is move up tee boxes to negate the advantage the 33 and 42yr old have, and now it’s pretty much a level field.

This hypothetical group is not too far off from a group I play with. Yet the short hitters still insist to play from where myself and the other long hitter play from. On par 3’s, they’re hitting 3 wood where I’m hitting 7iron. That’s not even close to a fair fight.

If you are not in a position to work on improving distance with the driver, best strategy may be to move up tee boxes and practice the short game.

Pros, college player, and competitive juniors all play the exact same course, thus longer tee shots = advantage. That’s why I said on IG that the range from best to worst putter on the PGA tour is only 2.5 putts/round, where as the longest and shortest hitters range is 40yds!! That’s insane, and why driving distance has such an impact on score at the professional level.

At the recreational level, driver distance should be a non-issue (or significantly minimized) if we play the correct tee boxes.

One of the things I see consistently is players using the wrong tee box. And it's not just distance (although that obviously is a significant issue) but typically playing further back requires more skill in general. I'm thinking about sight lines, narrower landing areas, forced carries which along with length, are often intimidating. Most golfers over-estimate how far they carry the ball which causes all sorts of problems. I'm not a long hitter anymore (105 mph) - I average 275 (carry and roll) although I can hit close to 300 if all my launch conditions are perfect and the strike is good and I have moved up a tee box from the back tees. It's still a good test of golf where I will typically hit every club in my bag at least once but it's a bit more fun. These kinds of discussions are good because it causes us to evaluate our own games - strengths and weaknesses - and hopefully make whatever changes are necessary in terms of distance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ping G400 LST 8.5* Graphite Design DI 6 stiff 45"

Taylormade RBZ Proto 14.5* Oban Kiyoshi 85 04 42.5"

Adams 4555 19* Matrix Ozik Altus 80 S/X 42"

Ping G410 Crossover 2 Project X Even Flow Blue 85 6.0 40"

Ping i500 4-8 Modus 105 Stiff

Ping Blueprint 9-P Modus 105 Stiff

Fourteen RM-12 53* and 58* Tour Issue Black Onyx s400 

Odyssey Tour Black Series 9 35" Flatso 1.0 

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

51 minutes ago, ChasingScratch said:

The 50yr old and senior might not be able to do anything to improve distance anymore (injuries, time, or any other thing, this is not a stereotype, just a hypothetical example).

... Glad this isn't a stereotype but I do dislike reading about seniors that have lost distance and just accepted it. Plus 50 ain't no senior 😉. I am 66 and driving it as far as I ever have. I work out to keep up my strength and equally if not more important, I eat right both on and off the course. 

... That said I do understand your example though, and I see and hear it all the time. "As I have gotten older I have lost a lot of distance" but they are usually overweight, out of conditioning shape and having a beer/soda and a hot dog along with some candy on the course which all works against them not for them. If you have lost distance, I agree moving up is a great idea, but I just think a much better idea is put in some work on your body-mind-spirit and gain back some of that distance. Todays equipment can enhance most anyones game with the right head/shaft/ball. 

Edited by chisag

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

To be honest, I've never given this question much thought.  We always play from the white tees as these are generally considered suited for double digit handicap players. I do note that on a good many holes at various courses, playing the blue or black tees might be an advantage because hazards that are reachable or not carried on a solid drive do not come into play at my typical drive distance. I'd be better off short of these in trade for the yardage.  Of course on the flipside is that the longer par 3's become even longer and par 4's that much more challenging to reach in regulation. 😮  I would say that, as a general rule, courses tee lengths, hole yardage, and hazard lengths off the tee are well designed - at least that's been my experience.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

... Glad this isn't a stereotype but I do dislike reading about seniors that have lost distance and jut accepted it. Plus 50 ain't no senior . I am 66 and driving it as far as I ever have. I work out to keep up my strength and equally if not more important, I eat right both on and off the course. 

... That said I do understand your example though, and I see and hear it all the time. "As I have gotten older I have lost a lot of distance" but they are usually overweight, out of conditioning shape and having a beer/soda and a hot dog along with some candy on the course why all works against them not for them. If you have lost distance, I agree moving up is a great idea, but I just think a much better idea is put in some work on your body-mind-spirit and gain back some of that distance. Todays equipment can enhance most anyones game with the right head/shaft/ball. 

100%!! I meant no disrespect sir! I plan to stay in-shape and active as long as I can as well.

My example was mainly from my playing partner’s experience. Not too many Gary Player’s and Bernhard Langer’s at my courses. lol

You hit it on the head with taking care of one’s mind, body, and spirit. The PGA Senior tour players still smash it!

WITB:

4 minutes ago, golfertrb said:

One of the things I see consistently is players using the wrong tee box. And it's not just distance (although that obviously is a significant issue) but typically playing further back requires more skill in general. I'm thinking about sight lines, narrower landing areas, forced carries which along with length, are often intimidating. Most golfers over-estimate how far they carry the ball which causes all sorts of problems. I'm not a long hitter anymore (105 mph) - I average 275 (carry and roll) although I can hit close to 300 if all my launch conditions are perfect and the strike is good and I have moved up a tee box from the back tees. It's still a good test of golf where I will typically hit every club in my bag at least once but it's a bit more fun. These kinds of discussions are good because it causes us to evaluate our own games - strengths and weaknesses - and hopefully make whatever changes are necessary in terms of distance.

... And this is true for players of all levels. My favorite local course is a links style course and the Golds are a few yards short of 6900. Blue tees are 6466. It is always windy and some days very windy so while I can play from 6900, it would be a long difficult day with any winds over 5mph. The 4th hole is a par 5 the plays uphill off the tee, then slightly downhill for the rest of the way. 513yds and I eagled it yesterday it a gentle helping wind, hitting my very best drive and 3 wood combo to about 12 feet. It is difficult to hit 2 just about perfect shots in a row but nice to be rewarded when I do. From the back tees at 544 I would have zero chance of getting on in 2. 

... Another par 5 on the back 9 plays 500 from the Blues and 525 from the Golds. 25 yds doesn't seem like a lot but it is a gentle dogleg left with trees blocking the left side. Anything on the right side is good but from the back tees, even middle left means I am blocked out unless I hit me best drive. From the Blues those extra 25 yds allow me to see half of the fairway and hit a straight shot or a gentle draw, not a big sweeping hook just to find the fairway but most importantly, a decent but not great drive leaves me a 2nd shot from the Blues that I would not have from the Golds. 

... There are a few more holes that are problematic from the back tees and change the way I would play the hole, but I think you all get the idea. Playing tees that are challenging and penalize your poor shots, yet reward your good shots is something every player should evaluate when choosing which tees to play. 

To be honest, I've never given this question much thought.  We always play from the white tees as these are generally considered suited for double digit handicap players. I do note that on a good many holes at various courses, playing the blue or black tees might be an advantage because hazards that are reachable or not carried on a solid drive do not come into play at my typical drive distance. I'd be better off short of these in trade for the yardage.  Of course on the flipside is that the longer par 3's become even longer and par 4's that much more challenging to reach in regulation.   I would say that, as a general rule, courses tee lengths, hole yardage, and hazard lengths off the tee are well designed - at least that's been my experience.

Yeah it seems like no matter what tee box you play (if it’s the right box for your distance off the tee), those fairway bunkers are magically in play! Lol

WITB:

"Playing tees that are challenging and penalize your poor shots, yet reward your good shots is something every player should evaluate when choosing which tees to play."

Chisag - your post really resonated with me and it is really summed up with the quote above. Living in Oklahoma the wind is often a factor and will certainly impact the length of the course significantly. I can still play the back tees and will if others want to but part of thr reason I have moved from the Black to the Blue Tees is just what you described. I had an eagle last week on a par 5 that is 513 yards that sounds very similar to what you described - uphill tee shot, downhill second shot. I hit a 3 wood to about 6 feet but from the Black tees it's another 20 yards or more depending on where they put them and I'm not getting there and I still had to hit a solid drive and 3 wood. On the same hole this week I hit driver, 2 iron but didn't hit it as close and hit my "best" drive which doesn't happen all the time by any means. The course is certainly challenging but a bit more enjoyable from the Blues vs the Black.

I would enjoy playing with you sometime if that were ever possible. Maybe in AZ sometime :)

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

5 hours ago, chisag said:

... Glad this isn't a stereotype but I do dislike reading about seniors that have lost distance and just accepted it. Plus 50 ain't no senior 😉. I am 66 and driving it as far as I ever have.

Interesting you mention this.  At 58, I too feel like I'm driving the ball as far (maybe a wee bit farther) than when I was much younger.  No doubt this is a reflection of improved equipment - but I digress.  What really caught my eye in your response is how many "seniors" play from the senior tees and still hit drives that far exceed the difference in yardage (and I'm not talking driver distance only). Yesterday one of the two guys I played with hit from the forward tees and sure seemed to have both game and distance to be playing from the white tees.  He also drove a cart, so it wasn't due to walking distance.

A fair number of courses suggest tees based on the players handicap - I've never seen one that says "XX and older play here".  Not sure that one's age is a good basis for playing senior tees.  Heck, I've seen 20 and 30 year olds playing from TIPS that would be better off playing from the senior tees 🙂.

Longer yardage can make a difference if you are hitting fairway woods/hybrids or long irons into greens intead of mid or short irons.  I personally try to play at 5500 yards or less.  Any more than that and I feel like I simply dont have the distance to score well.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Interesting you mention this.  At 58, I too feel like I'm driving the ball as far (maybe a wee bit farther) than when I was much younger.  No doubt this is a reflection of improved equipment - but I digress.  What really caught my eye in your response is how many "seniors" play from the senior tees and still hit drives that far exceed the difference in yardage (and I'm not talking driver distance only). Yesterday one of the two guys I played with hit from the forward tees and sure seemed to have both game and distance to be playing from the white tees.  He also drove a cart, so it wasn't due to walking distance.
A fair number of courses suggest tees based on the players handicap - I've never seen one that says "XX and older play here".  Not sure that one's age is a good basis for playing senior tees.  Heck, I've seen 20 and 30 year olds playing from TIPS that would be better off playing from the senior tees .

Indeed, that’s why I’m a fan of removing the terms “ladies” and “seniors” tees from golf in general. Just call them a color tee box or something else fun.

WITB:

6 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Heck, I've seen 20 and 30 year olds playing from TIPS that would be better off playing from the senior tees 🙂.

Remember though, they hit that one drive 300 yards dead straight at altitude that one time, therefore they are qualified to play courses in excess of 7,000 yards all of the time. Despite that a normal drive is 220 yards sliced into the adjacent fairway/trees/hazard.

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

11 hours ago, ChasingScratch said:

Indeed, that’s why I’m a fan of removing the terms “ladies” and “seniors” tees from golf in general. Just call them a color tee box or something else fun.

That's an idea.  Should the decision on which to use be based on handicap or driving length, or?

That's an idea.  Should the decision on which to use be based on handicap or driving length, or?

I think it should still be based on length.

You could even call them something like the ‘Hogan tees’ or ‘Nicklaus tees’ (all names of all-time great golfers) and just take the ego out of it.

Heck can even call the front tees the “fun tees” and see if that makes a difference.

Imagine pulling up to the first hole and the group being like, “Let’s play the fun tees today!”

WITB:

41 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

... Yup, I agree with chasingscratch. As I have stated repeated times, most holes are designed to be played a specific way. If you can't reach a dogleg from the tee, you are probably playing the wrong tees. If you can't reach an average length par 5 with a 3rd shot using a short iron or worst case a mid iron, you are probably playing the wrong tees. Par3/4's are also designed to have a certain club used for the approach shot with open fronts for a long iron/hybrid/wood run up or deep bunkers guarding the front so a short/mid iron can clear the bunker but still hold the green. 

... Obviously if you are distance challenged for a myriad of reasons, playing the most forward tees will give you your best chance at playing the course the way it was designed. For most players, it is pretty obvious by fairway bunkers that should be in play off the tee or dog legs you can reach and the ability to reach almost all par 4's with an iron although some courses have one or 2 very difficult par 4's where a hybrid or wood might be needed but have an open front to the green so you can land short and roll on.  

Golf courses can be so funny sometimes. For example, the course I played yesterday had two holes back to back that were 485yds.

One was a par 4 that had no trouble on it. I made par (big drive, 8iron on, 2-putt).

The very next hole was a par 5 (with fairway bunkers in play and a creek right in front of and touching the green, so it’s all carry and the green is very shallow as opposed to the monster sized green on the previous par 4). I hit another perfect drive and an iron onto the green, two putt birdie.

Same distance but the hazards on the par 5 made it a par 5 I guess?

WITB:

• 3 weeks later...

Here's some hard evidence that makes interesting reading.

Scottish Golf Amateur Championships recently at the Dukes Course, St Andrews.

Ballot to even play, handicap must be less than 0.4 😮

First 2 days. Off Blue Tees approx 7100 yds.

Most difficult hole no 8 par 3 194yds SI 16

2nd hardest is no 18 par 4 386 yds SI 9 

Not always SI 1 that gets you. Scores over 2 days range from 63 to 93.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

• 3 weeks later...

Fascinating thread.

One of the big trends in junior golf instruction is Operation36.  Basically, we have kids start playing from 25 yards away, and once they can shoot 36 from that distance, they move back to the next yardage, and so on.

op36-chall.jpg?fit=1030,579&ssl=1

It's pretty brilliant.  Rounds move quickly (compare that to the Bataan death march that PGA Junior League can become).  And as long as a kid can putt reasonably well, they have a chance at success.  And if they can't get down in four from 25 yards away, they honestly don't need to be trying anything more difficult than that.

Frankly, making 8's, 9's and 10's isn't fun for kids, and I don't see how it's fun for anyone.  If I were starting an adult new in golf (for instance, if I could ever get my wife to start playing), I'd do this.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Fascinating thread.
One of the big trends in junior golf instruction is Operation36.  Basically, we have kids start playing from 25 yards away, and once they can shoot 36 from that distance, they move back to the next yardage, and so on.
op36-chall.jpg?fit=1030,579&ssl=1
It's pretty brilliant.  Rounds move quickly (compare that to the Bataan death march that PGA Junior League can become).  And as long as a kid can putt reasonably well, they have a chance at success.  And if they can't get down in four from 25 yards away, they honestly don't need to be trying anything more difficult than that.
Frankly, making 8's, 9's and 10's isn't fun for kids, and I don't see how it's fun for anyone.  If I were starting an adult new in golf (for instance, if I could ever get my wife to start playing), I'd do this.

I love this idea! Not a bad idea for adults either. This concept was mentioned earlier by another member. Basically you play the farthest forward tees until you can shoot par then work your way back one box at a time.

WITB:

7 hours ago, ChasingScratch said:

I love this idea! Not a bad idea for adults either. This concept was mentioned earlier by another member. Basically you play the farthest forward tees until you can shoot par then work your way back one box at a time.

Yep, except this starts you even closer than the forward tees.  Making sure that people can consistently get down in four from inside 100 yards would undoubtedly help some pace of play issues.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

• 4 weeks later...

Great thread! One thing I haven't seen mentioned is mixing tees based on conditions. Many don't notice it, but if you watch pro tournaments, they don't always hit from the rear tee box. The tournament committee often adjusts the teeing areas based on the conditions of the day (high winds, rain, etc). Once I noticed this, I started doing the same thing. Nothing's more frustrating than standing on a tee and knowing you can't clear a hazard or reach the fairway/green because the winds howling. So when I'm planning to play a course, I check what the wind is doing and adjust the tees I plan to play. I may play back tees downwind and a more forward tee into the wind. Makes the game a challenge without making it impossible.

BT

Sent from my XT1585 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

15 minutes ago, RI_Redneck said:

I may play back tees downwind and a more forward tee into the wind. Makes the game a challenge without making it impossible.

This does make it impossible for you to post your score for handicap.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

On 6/14/2019 at 5:31 PM, GolfSpy MPR said:

So in asking this question, I know there are about a million variables that can change the answer (which should make it an interesting discussion).

This past week, I got a chance to play two different courses, which is unusual for me, as I play nearly all my golf at my home course. As I've noted in other threads, our course is short: it barely cracks 6,000 yards from the back tees. It's a par 71; my scores cluster pretty tightly around 90. My best round has been a 77.

The first course I played this week is 6,297 yards from the back tees. The second course, SentryWorld, offered a mixed tee option that I expected to suit my game; the blue/white tee comes in at 6,401 yards. With those extra yards, I shot a 92 (+20) at Trout Lake and then a 91 (+19) at SentryWorld; that is, pretty much exactly what I shoot at 6,000 yards.

In fact, over my last 8 rounds at my home course, I've been averaging closer to 21.6 over. So there's a strong argument that I played better with an additional 300–400 yards to navigate.

This is an interesting question for me, because I normally play such a short course, and want to have a decent understanding, objectively, where my game stands.

So in your opinion, how much do you expect that adding yardage changes your expected scoring?

With courses ranging from 6,000 - 6,300 yards I tend to break 80 a lot more, and if it's around 6,000 yards I can typically get into the lower 70's.  But push me back to 6,300 - 6,600 and I'll probably be right around 80.  Anything more than 6,600 yards and I'll shot 85 and up.

The difference in course lengths is what club you have into most par 4s.  Today's course is a great example of this for me, as I played a course that maxed out at 6,000 yards and change.  I had a wedge into pretty much every par 4, and shot 77.  That was with two three-putts on birdie putts from inside 6 feet of the hole, so in theory if you make those bogies, pars at minimum I should have shot 75, and possible a 73, as I should have made those birdie putts (the game is mental, remember?).  Most of my scores of 74 and lower have been on courses no longer than 6,300 yards, just as a barometer, and it's simply because the approach shot is typically a wedge of some sort.  I was throwing darts today all day long on par 4s with this scenario.  Everything was within 10 feet of the hole, all day long.  Easy to go low when that happens.

Now my home course is right around 6,500 yards, and it's one of the toughest layouts I've ever played, regardless of the length.  But my best score there is a 77, and lately I've struggled to break 80 there.  This course is a mental workout, and you have to hit your ball to correct sides of the fairway and all of that, and if you miss the fairway, just write down the bogey or worse.  But most par 4s at this course I have a mid iron into greens.  My proximity to the hole is probably well over 20 feet on GIRs, IF I hit the green at all.

Stretch me out beyond 6,600 yards and chances are I'll have a long iron into most par 4s.  Well, my GIR will go down in that scenario, IF I hit any greens at all.  That's why I'll struggle to shoot 85 or so.

I may be the only one with this going on, but the longer the par 4s on the approach shot, and the higher my score will go.  I played one course where it was driver, 3 or 4 iron all day long, and I think I struggled to break 90.  The game ain't fun when you are 190+ out on a par 4 for your approach.

But generally speaking, it's all about the irons and wedges for me.  If I am firing those well I go low.  If I am not, well, mid 80s here I am.  Now, if I could ever figure out how to putt......  😞

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

... The only thing I dislike more than hitting wedge into every green, is hitting 3 and 4 iron into every green. Somewhere in the middle is the sweet spot. I like having wedge into several holes as well as having a long iron or two and maybe even a 5 wood into one difficult par 4. I think the best layouts give you and opportunity to use those two clubs but the majority of the par 4's should have mid iron approaches. 

... The game is best played and enjoyed using your entire bag, which challenges you the entire round. 

... The game is best played and enjoyed using your entire bag, which challenges you the entire round. 

That's often the measure of a good course for me - have I played the whole bag? I played a course today that was just a hair under 6500. The wind was a factor today but regardless I hit every club but PW. I had one shot where I was torn between 9 and PW and went with the 9 but I thoroughly enjoyed the round. It had some good long 4's and 5's and a few short 4's that required a good iron off the tee. It had some tough par 3's over water (195 into wind) and short 3's over water (131 down wind) and everything in between. It made me think and hit quality shots and it was not quite 6500 yards - that's a good track IMHO.

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

11 hours ago, chisag said:

... The only thing I dislike more than hitting wedge into every green, is hitting 3 and 4 iron into every green. Somewhere in the middle is the sweet spot. I like having wedge into several holes as well as having a long iron or two and maybe even a 5 wood into one difficult par 4. I think the best layouts give you and opportunity to use those two clubs but the majority of the par 4's should have mid iron approaches. 

Agreed.  One course I've played several times where after I played it the 2nd time it dawned on me that every par 4 was driver, 6 iron.  So I looked at the lengths on all the par 4s and they were all basically the same.  I guess I overlooked that the first time I played the course, because otherwise it was a great course, but after playing it the 2nd time and realizing that was the situation I haven't been back to play it since.  Variety is the spice of life as you say, and without it, it's somewhat boring.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

20 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

This does make it impossible for you to post your score for handicap.

Yup. We have some courses in the area that have a mixed set of tees rated so one could do this easily on those courses. The scorecard shows what tees to play for the particular hole.

if not rated then not really able to enter for hdcp 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1