GolfSpy MPR

How much difference does course length make?

I experience a similar thing.  I post about the same scores on 6000yds as I do on 6500yds largely because my approach play is terrible.  I don't hit many GIR. but generally I am on the green in regulation plus one.  What I do find is that a 6500-6600yd course usually causes me to use all 14clubs over the course of the round.  If I tee it forward on the same course and play 6000yds or fewer, there will be 2 or 3 clubs I didn't use at all.

Who in the hell is thinking birdie from 200 yards on a par 3!!!!  Par 5 maybe. 
2018 PGA Tour Stats
#1 in stat - Dustin Johnson made 25.86% birdies between 175-200.  That is 45 birdies on 174 holes attempted.  
Go out to 220+ yards - and the leader, John Rahm made birdies 41.30% of the time for 95 birdies over 230 attempts.  Why more birdie percentage from 200+ yards.  To make a birdie on a par three requires two shots to make a birdie on a par 5 allows for three shots.  The statistic requires that the ball ends up on or about the green.  
Based on the fact that most of us are handicap golfers, including myself, I'm thinking there might be a better strategy than trying to make birdie.  Especially since PGA are hitting 7/6 iron from 175-200 and likely 4/5 from 200+.  Just my opinion. 

That’s why I said I’m not thinking birdie on a 200+ par 3. If I’m looking at a hole that I can’t feasibly hit 4/10 GIR with a decent swing then I may need to re-evaluate the tees I’m playing. I would have to hit 5 wood for any par 3 over 200. I might be able to reach with an absolutely perfect 3 hybrid but even that’s pushing it. That’s why there are different tees. I’m not afraid to move up a tee to make a hole playable. If I get to a course and 3 out of 4 par 3’s are 200+, I will either play different tees on them or move up if I’m playing for handicap.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 1

My scores stay relatively the same, no matter what length of course I play.  The difference is on longer courses, and the reason I enjoy them more, is I get to use all, or at least most, of the clubs in my bag.