TESTERS WANTED! ×

Cotton Golf Clothing

ED13

Am I the only one who hates all the new performance fabrics?

I have tried numerous shirts over the years touting all the benefits of polyester and fancier named man made products.  Some do wick more moisture but they still don’t keep up with the extra sweating they cause.  I have also found even the so called best quality examples don’ hold up as well as a good knit cotton shirt will.  Most last only a couple of rounds before they start to pill when I carry my bag.  Performance pants and shorts I find no better.

I have been wearing some of the same shirts, shorts and pants made of a good quality 100% cotton for over ten years for everyday wear and golf on a regular rotation.  Performance fabrics have never lasted anywhere close to as long for amount of times they are worn.  Linen and linen/cotton blends can be extremely hard wearing and are great for hot humid climates.

I won’t even get into the idea of wearing golf performance apparel to the office.  You know who you are and you would probably be surprised how many others do as well.

Good quality cotton will cost a little more up front but has benefits.  It will last longer, look better and be a better value over time.  Only problem I have is it takes a bit more time searching as 100% items are more rare than they used to be.

A bit of a long rant.  I don’t think I am the only one who thinks this way.  Just curious of others opinions.

Driver - Ping G410

Woods - Callaway Rogue 5 wood

Hybrid - Titleist TS2 21 degree

Irons - Taylormade P790 5-PW

Wedges - Taylormade MG3 50, 54, 58, SM9 60

Putter - Mizuno Black Carbon BC3

I'm one of those guys that gave up on cotton golf shirts. I'm old school in many ways. Several years back when so called performance shirts came out I hated them initially and only wanted my normal cotton shirt. The first few I bought I gave away to guy. Now days they out performed cotton IMO. Cooler, no stains, no wrinkles, don't fade, lighter weight, don't shrink, don't absorb sweat it seems, don't get clammy feeling, etc, etc. I don't like pants and shorts made from the material. For those items I still prefer cotton.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Performance fabric is a life changer in hot and humid areas. I feel comfortable, don’t have clothes sticking to me or ruined after a round or two. 

I rarely wear a cotton polo shirt anymore even for work

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

• 4 weeks later...

I have a cotton blend golf shirt from polo...no way it sees the course during the summer time.

i have/had pants from Nike, Puma, footjoy, polo/rlx and Peter Millar. I will take non cotton any day for golf and office

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I don't even think I own any cotton polo's anymore. It's dri-fit performance polos/pants for me every day, even at the office. You never know when an opportunity to get a quick 9 after work will pop up after all. I'll also run to the driving range, during lunch, a few days a week. In South Carolina Summer heat and humidity, I would be miserable in 100% cotton.

Titleist TS3 9.5* w/Accra TZ5 65 X-Stiff
Titleist TS3 15* w/Fujikura Ventus 7X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 20* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 23* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Titleist 718 CB 5 iron w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist 718 MB 6-PW w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist SM7 Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Bettinardi Queen B 10 34.5"
Titleist Pro V1 or Snell MTB-X

I don't even think I own any cotton polo's anymore. It's dri-fit performance polos/pants for me every day, even at the office. You never know when an opportunity to get a quick 9 after work will pop up after all. I'll also run to the driving range, during lunch, a few days a week. In South Carolina Summer heat and humidity, I would be miserable in 100% cotton.

Same here. No cotton shirts at all for a few years now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

I still have a few cotton shirts for some of the colder days in the fall but I primarily wear the higher tech shirts most of the time.  Works great for the heat of the summer whether I'm golfing or fishing.

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

I am mixed on this.  Our summers are has humid as they are hot and cotton is difficult to get along with here.  The performance fabrics have gotten noticeably better over the years in durability, quality, and comfort.  The new fabrics just "breathe" so much better and quite frankly feel good to wear.  However, I don't know what it is about my sweat, but synthetic performance fabrics and my sweat just do not mix well right off the bat.  I just don't have that same problem with cotton or wool fabrics and it doesn't make a lot sense.  For that reason I prefer natural fibers, but due to our climate it's synthetic performance fabrics.

In terms of office wear, wear whatever is comfortable.  Performance fabrics, when done well, look every bit of professional as traditional fabrics do. 

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

I also buy the "performance" golf shirts and wear them both golfing and to work.  They're Grand Slam Golf polos from Kohl's and I highly recommend them.  The tag says 100% polyester.  They're more comfortable on a hot day on the course and wearing all day at the office.  However, the biggest reason I buy them is because they are hold up to frequent washing so well.  Whenever I buy 100% cotton polos after a couple of trips through the washing machine I end up with bacon collar.  I don't get that with synthetic fibers. 

I haven't played in cotton polos for many years now - it's all performance material shirts for me on the golf course. Off the golf course? Only cotton pants, shirts and shorts - cant stand wearing "golf clothes" somewhere other than the golf course. That seems weird to me as I right it buts it's true

Ping G400 LST 8.5* Graphite Design DI 6 stiff 45"

Taylormade RBZ Proto 14.5* Oban Kiyoshi 85 04 42.5"

Adams 4555 19* Matrix Ozik Altus 80 S/X 42"

Ping G410 Crossover 2 Project X Even Flow Blue 85 6.0 40"

Ping i500 4-8 Modus 105 Stiff

Ping Blueprint 9-P Modus 105 Stiff

Fourteen RM-12 53* and 58* Tour Issue Black Onyx s400 

Odyssey Tour Black Series 9 35" Flatso 1.0 

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

Same here. No cotton shirts at all for a few years now.

+1. I can't remember the last time there was a cotton polo in my closet. Even my "T" shirts are are 'Nike Dryfit'

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Nope. No more cotton here, and I am one of those you mention that wear these golf shirts for work. Heck, I even wear polyester pants, and I haven’t done that since the 70”s! Cotton is hotter, it looks horrible when it’s soaked in sweat, and the collars do not hold-up well for the long run. Nope. No more cotton for me, here in our 110* heat index!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

• 3 weeks later...

I, too, only wear the polyester 'performance' polos...and all my dress shirts have some sort of moisture wicking fabric in them.

However, there are some decent cotton polos, but they come at a price. Criquet Shirts is based in Austin, TX but I don't wear them solely based on my body's desire to sweat at every possible temp. I have folks swear by them but I rarely see them worn in humid areas. They breathe pretty well and look great according to those who have worn them. Travis Mathew always catches my eye but then I see it's 50/50 blend of cotton and polyester and I have to turn away. A lot of Izod and even some of the Nike have a cotton/poly blend to give you the structure of cotton, but the performance of polyester. It all depends on your climate. 

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

• 2 months later...

I normally wear the performance polos from nike, under armour, adidas, etc. I bought tow shirts off amazon that ended up being cotton. I gave one a try over the summer (in Las Vegas) where it was 100+ out and it was awful. The sweat did get absorbed but then it looked like I had spilled water on my water. Those are strictly office shirts now. 

Driver-  :taylormade-small:  2016 M2 12* Tensei Red Stiff

Wood(s)- :ping-small:  G400 5 Wood 16.9*/ 7 Wood 21.1* Alta CB Stiff

Irons-:mizuno-small:   JPX 900 Forged 6-GW NS Pro 950GH 

Wedges- :cleveland-small:   RTX 3 54*  588 RTX 2.0  58*   RTX 4 64*

Putter-  :taylormade-small:  Spider Tour Black 

Instagram- @patrickleeleep

When I moved to FL almost 8 years ago the cotton shirts/shorts went to Goodwill. To hot humid for cotton products.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

• 2 weeks later...

Is cotton still a thing? I thought cotton golf shirts went the way of the rottery phone.

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple diamond 10.5 Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood ; Callaway Paradym triple diamond 15 degree, Ventus black TR 7x

Apex UW 19 degree, Ventus black TR 8x

Utility Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility, Ventus blue HB 90X

Irons: Callaway Apex MB 5-PW, KBS $ taper 130x

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 54, 58, KBS $ taper 130x

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

I like cotton shirts when playing in dry, desert areas. Just a better feel. Even on 100º days they don't get wet. The synthetic fabrics make me feel hotter.  However, cotton in humid areas is uncomfortable; sticks to you and looks like 💩

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• 2 years later...

Like a lot of others that have posted, I don't think I even own a cotton golf shirt anymore.  Performance all the way for me for numerous reasons.   I'd guess the main one might be that I walk almost always and live in the South with the tremendous humidity during the summer.  I have no desire to carry around that seemingly 5-10 lbs of sweaty cotton shirt for most of the round.    

The OP is in Toronto where cotton shirts might be OK more often than further south. But in a frequently hot & humid area, cotton is a sweaty mess - it won’t wick away any sweat. I agree the early synthetic shirts were uncomfortable, but they’ve improved dramatically since then IME. All my golf shirts are performance fabric. I have some cotton polos but I’d never wear them for golf. YMMV

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

Tehama had the best fabric  IMHO, a 60 / 40 cotton poly weave for shirts.  Best of both worlds.  They no longer exist, but I have found similar at Kohl's, of all places.  I'm not a fan of the 100% poly shirts in either feel to skin or durability.  The 100% poly shirts also have no surface texture and easily pull out of pants, even if you have the inserts sewn into the pant liner that supposedly holds the shirt in, but doesn't.  I'll never wear a UA product, and they were my client for a number of years. Same for pants and shorts, 60 /40 cotton / poly.

I never would have thought there'd be this much excitement on this topic. 🙂

I bought two cotton Peter Millar shirts and think they're great. I've got a bunch of performance fabric shirts. In California Cotton is fine in the winter, feels great and has no issues. In the heat of the summer, different story. 

Ping g410 LST

Titleist 917f2 5 wood

Titleist H1 21d hybrid

Titleist u100 4 iron

Ping i500 5 - PW

Vokey SM8 52, 56, 60

The only issue with 100% polyester shorts is when they absorb sweat and begin to dry, the stench can be horrible. The only brand that works for me is a 60% poly/40% cotton blend from Link Soul. They are expensive but 2-3 times a year they have a 50% off sale. They don’t have the stink that 100% polyester shorts have. 

8 minutes ago, bigalhearne said:

I can't stand polyester. It itches, I seem to sweat more and it just feels wrong. Hard to find big name golfwear in anything but poly, so I go with Polo or Lacoste polo shirts. Yes, it's hot and humid here in Texas, but I can't stand the gross feel of poly.

Have you checked out the pima cotton Criquet shirts in Texas.  They have sales occasionally to make them reasonably priced.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I agree with Kenny B. Nothing but cotton in my closet, but I live in AZ. Cotton is way more comfortable in dry heat. I have Lands End cotton shirts that have literally lasted forever.

Driver: Callaway Epic 9 degree, stiff (set at 10 degrees with the movable weight in the center}

FW: Callaway Epic 3,5, heaven wood w/ regular shaft (driver shaft in 3 wood, 3 wood shaft in 5 wood, 5 wood shaft in heaven wood, all three set at neutral plus 1 degree)

Hybrids: Callaway BB19 4,6,7 (4 set at neutral plus 1 degree and 6 and 7 set at neutral minus 1 degree for gapping purposes)

Irons: Callaway Rogue ST Max 8, 9, PW 

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 50,54,58

Ball: Titleist Pro V1, 1X, Vice Pro Plus or anything I find that day and try out for the fun of it (I haven't bought balls with my own money in at least 10 years)

I’ve been following this thread for a while.  From what I can see what part of the country determines clothing choice.

When we lived in Northeast cotton, cotton mix was my preference with a couple poly/poly mix for our month of summer.  
Now living in FL I’ve done a 180*.  Almost all of my clothing is non-cotton.  I have Tee Shirts and outer wear that’s cotton but it’s all the clothing I brought to FL that won’t die and wear it during our month of winter.  

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

• 4 weeks later...

Here at the Southernmost point in Key West, a quick survey of all my golfing buddies is that performance materials are the way to go (even for our "winters").  Lighter weight, less wrinkles, fast drying and moisture wicking.  Even on hot and humid days, black clothing is still a fashion option.

Also, don't forget the performance material in hats.  They can make even the most hot and humid days a bit more tolerable while protecting you from the sun.  

One downside I've found, especially in the shorts, is that moisture wicking goes both ways.  If the golf cart seat is wet from heavy dew or rain, it has no problems wicking in!  It can cause a little discomfort for a short while.  However, within several minutes, it wicks back out and you're all set.

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4