ED13

Cotton Golf Clothing

Am I the only one who hates all the new performance fabrics?

I have tried numerous shirts over the years touting all the benefits of polyester and fancier named man made products.  Some do wick more moisture but they still don’t keep up with the extra sweating they cause.  I have also found even the so called best quality examples don’ hold up as well as a good knit cotton shirt will.  Most last only a couple of rounds before they start to pill when I carry my bag.  Performance pants and shorts I find no better.

I have been wearing some of the same shirts, shorts and pants made of a good quality 100% cotton for over ten years for everyday wear and golf on a regular rotation.  Performance fabrics have never lasted anywhere close to as long for amount of times they are worn.  Linen and linen/cotton blends can be extremely hard wearing and are great for hot humid climates.

I won’t even get into the idea of wearing golf performance apparel to the office.  You know who you are and you would probably be surprised how many others do as well.

Good quality cotton will cost a little more up front but has benefits.  It will last longer, look better and be a better value over time.  Only problem I have is it takes a bit more time searching as 100% items are more rare than they used to be.

A bit of a long rant.  I don’t think I am the only one who thinks this way.  Just curious of others opinions.

• Like 2

I'm one of those guys that gave up on cotton golf shirts. I'm old school in many ways. Several years back when so called performance shirts came out I hated them initially and only wanted my normal cotton shirt. The first few I bought I gave away to guy. Now days they out performed cotton IMO. Cooler, no stains, no wrinkles, don't fade, lighter weight, don't shrink, don't absorb sweat it seems, don't get clammy feeling, etc, etc. I don't like pants and shorts made from the material. For those items I still prefer cotton.

• Like 5

Performance fabric is a life changer in hot and humid areas. I feel comfortable, don’t have clothes sticking to me or ruined after a round or two. 

I rarely wear a cotton polo shirt anymore even for work

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

At the office, I just can’t seem to keep my bowtie from bunching up the collar of my Nike Dry Fit shirts.  🤪

Agree 100%:  Golf shirts are for golf.  Yoga tights are for yoga.  

Edited by Simsjim
  • Like 2

I have a cotton blend golf shirt from polo...no way it sees the course during the summer time.

i have/had pants from Nike, Puma, footjoy, polo/rlx and Peter Millar. I will take non cotton any day for golf and office

• Like 1

I don't even think I own any cotton polo's anymore. It's dri-fit performance polos/pants for me every day, even at the office. You never know when an opportunity to get a quick 9 after work will pop up after all. I'll also run to the driving range, during lunch, a few days a week. In South Carolina Summer heat and humidity, I would be miserable in 100% cotton.

• Like 3

I don't even think I own any cotton polo's anymore. It's dri-fit performance polos/pants for me every day, even at the office. You never know when an opportunity to get a quick 9 after work will pop up after all. I'll also run to the driving range, during lunch, a few days a week. In South Carolina Summer heat and humidity, I would be miserable in 100% cotton.

Same here. No cotton shirts at all for a few years now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I still have a few cotton shirts for some of the colder days in the fall but I primarily wear the higher tech shirts most of the time.  Works great for the heat of the summer whether I'm golfing or fishing.

MDGolfHacker

I am mixed on this.  Our summers are has humid as they are hot and cotton is difficult to get along with here.  The performance fabrics have gotten noticeably better over the years in durability, quality, and comfort.  The new fabrics just "breathe" so much better and quite frankly feel good to wear.  However, I don't know what it is about my sweat, but synthetic performance fabrics and my sweat just do not mix well right off the bat.  I just don't have that same problem with cotton or wool fabrics and it doesn't make a lot sense.  For that reason I prefer natural fibers, but due to our climate it's synthetic performance fabrics.

In terms of office wear, wear whatever is comfortable.  Performance fabrics, when done well, look every bit of professional as traditional fabrics do. 

I also buy the "performance" golf shirts and wear them both golfing and to work.  They're Grand Slam Golf polos from Kohl's and I highly recommend them.  The tag says 100% polyester.  They're more comfortable on a hot day on the course and wearing all day at the office.  However, the biggest reason I buy them is because they are hold up to frequent washing so well.  Whenever I buy 100% cotton polos after a couple of trips through the washing machine I end up with bacon collar.  I don't get that with synthetic fibers. 

I haven't played in cotton polos for many years now - it's all performance material shirts for me on the golf course. Off the golf course? Only cotton pants, shirts and shorts - cant stand wearing "golf clothes" somewhere other than the golf course. That seems weird to me as I right it buts it's true

Same here. No cotton shirts at all for a few years now.

+1. I can't remember the last time there was a cotton polo in my closet. Even my "T" shirts are are 'Nike Dryfit'

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 2

I’m quick becoming a fan of 32 degrees clothing. Good stuff that you can catch at some ridiculous prices. Color me a fan boy

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

Nope. No more cotton here, and I am one of those you mention that wear these golf shirts for work. Heck, I even wear polyester pants, and I haven’t done that since the 70”s! Cotton is hotter, it looks horrible when it’s soaked in sweat, and the collars do not hold-up well for the long run. Nope. No more cotton for me, here in our 110* heat index!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 2

I, too, only wear the polyester 'performance' polos...and all my dress shirts have some sort of moisture wicking fabric in them.

However, there are some decent cotton polos, but they come at a price. Criquet Shirts is based in Austin, TX but I don't wear them solely based on my body's desire to sweat at every possible temp. I have folks swear by them but I rarely see them worn in humid areas. They breathe pretty well and look great according to those who have worn them. Travis Mathew always catches my eye but then I see it's 50/50 blend of cotton and polyester and I have to turn away. A lot of Izod and even some of the Nike have a cotton/poly blend to give you the structure of cotton, but the performance of polyester. It all depends on your climate. 

• Like 1

I normally wear the performance polos from nike, under armour, adidas, etc. I bought tow shirts off amazon that ended up being cotton. I gave one a try over the summer (in Las Vegas) where it was 100+ out and it was awful. The sweat did get absorbed but then it looked like I had spilled water on my water. Those are strictly office shirts now. 

When I moved to FL almost 8 years ago the cotton shirts/shorts went to Goodwill. To hot humid for cotton products.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

I don't even own any cotton shirts.  Not even t-shirts.  Pants are a different story.  I have yet to find pants that completely satisfy me.  I have tried every fit, fabric and brand.  The search continues! 

• Like 1

I like cotton shirts when playing in dry, desert areas. Just a better feel. Even on 100º days they don't get wet. The synthetic fabrics make me feel hotter.  However, cotton in humid areas is uncomfortable; sticks to you and looks like 💩