Cotton Golf Clothing

ED13

Like a lot of others that have posted, I don't think I even own a cotton golf shirt anymore.  Performance all the way for me for numerous reasons.   I'd guess the main one might be that I walk almost always and live in the South with the tremendous humidity during the summer.  I have no desire to carry around that seemingly 5-10 lbs of sweaty cotton shirt for most of the round.    

• Like 1

The OP is in Toronto where cotton shirts might be OK more often than further south. But in a frequently hot & humid area, cotton is a sweaty mess - it won’t wick away any sweat. I agree the early synthetic shirts were uncomfortable, but they’ve improved dramatically since then IME. All my golf shirts are performance fabric. I have some cotton polos but I’d never wear them for golf. YMMV

• Callaway Rogue 10.5° & 3W
  • Mizuno CLK 3H 19°, JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06
  • Evnroll ER5B Fit@TrueSpec ER2
  • Maxfli Tour Snell MTB-Black
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Adidas Codechaos, FJ DryJoys

Tehama had the best fabric  IMHO, a 60 / 40 cotton poly weave for shirts.  Best of both worlds.  They no longer exist, but I have found similar at Kohl's, of all places.  I'm not a fan of the 100% poly shirts in either feel to skin or durability.  The 100% poly shirts also have no surface texture and easily pull out of pants, even if you have the inserts sewn into the pant liner that supposedly holds the shirt in, but doesn't.  I'll never wear a UA product, and they were my client for a number of years. Same for pants and shorts, 60 /40 cotton / poly.

I never would have thought there'd be this much excitement on this topic. 🙂

I bought two cotton Peter Millar shirts and think they're great. I've got a bunch of performance fabric shirts. In California Cotton is fine in the winter, feels great and has no issues. In the heat of the summer, different story. 

Ping g410 LST

Titleist 917f2 5 wood

Titleist H1 21d hybrid

Titleist u100 4 iron

Ping i500 5 - PW

Vokey SM8 52, 56, 60

The only issue with 100% polyester shorts is when they absorb sweat and begin to dry, the stench can be horrible. The only brand that works for me is a 60% poly/40% cotton blend from Link Soul. They are expensive but 2-3 times a year they have a 50% off sale. They don’t have the stink that 100% polyester shorts have. 

I can't stand polyester. It itches, I seem to sweat more and it just feels wrong. Hard to find big name golfwear in anything but poly, so I go with Polo or Lacoste polo shirts. Yes, it's hot and humid here in Texas, but I can't stand the gross feel of poly.

8 minutes ago, bigalhearne said:

I can't stand polyester. It itches, I seem to sweat more and it just feels wrong. Hard to find big name golfwear in anything but poly, so I go with Polo or Lacoste polo shirts. Yes, it's hot and humid here in Texas, but I can't stand the gross feel of poly.

Have you checked out the pima cotton Criquet shirts in Texas.  They have sales occasionally to make them reasonably priced.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I’ve been following this thread for a while.  From what I can see what part of the country determines clothing choice.

When we lived in Northeast cotton, cotton mix was my preference with a couple poly/poly mix for our month of summer.  
Now living in FL I’ve done a 180*.  Almost all of my clothing is non-cotton.  I have Tee Shirts and outer wear that’s cotton but it’s all the clothing I brought to FL that won’t die and wear it during our month of winter.  

• Like 1

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Titleist TSi2, Kuro Kage 50 gr R2

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous Vista Pro R2

Irons; Ping G710 6-GW, Recoil 460 R2

Wedges; Titleist S9 54*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

• 4 weeks later...

Here at the Southernmost point in Key West, a quick survey of all my golfing buddies is that performance materials are the way to go (even for our "winters").  Lighter weight, less wrinkles, fast drying and moisture wicking.  Even on hot and humid days, black clothing is still a fashion option.

Also, don't forget the performance material in hats.  They can make even the most hot and humid days a bit more tolerable while protecting you from the sun.  

One downside I've found, especially in the shorts, is that moisture wicking goes both ways.  If the golf cart seat is wet from heavy dew or rain, it has no problems wicking in!  It can cause a little discomfort for a short while.  However, within several minutes, it wicks back out and you're all set.

Ping G400 SFT with a Matrix MFS 5 Korean Prototype Senior shaft, 12 degrees
Callaway Epic Flash 15 degree 3 wood, with a stock Project X Evenflow 45 grams senior shaft.  
Calloway Epic GBB Epic 20 degree Heaven Wood, with a stock Diamana 40 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G hybrid 5 (26 degrees) with stock Alta 70 gram senior shafts.
Ping G30 irons 6-W, Yellow dot with graphite Fujikura EXS 60i R2-Flex shafts
Edison wedges:  50 degrees, 55 degrees and 60 degrees, 2 degrees up with KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  New Evnroll ER10 Outback

I am a big fan of the FJ Prodry Performance shirts.  Living along the coast and lowcountry of S Caroina on those hot and humid days, which is about six months out of twelve, they offer comfort and breathability.  The only golf shirts that I wear.  Cotton just does not offer that.  Do I still wear cotton?  Yes, when we cruise and travel overseas, love my RL Polo cotton polos.  They travel well.   

Titleist

DRIVER - TSi3 10.75* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR S   

FAIRWAY - TSi2 15.0* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 S

HYBRID - 816H1 18.0* - Fujikura Motore Speeder HB 8.8 Tour Spec S

HYBRID - 818H1 21.0* - Fujikura Motore Speeder HB 8.8 Tour Spec S

IRONS - T300 (2019) - 5-W - True Temper AMT Red 107g-95gm R300

WEDGES - VOKEY SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S - True Temper AMT Red 94gm R300                                                           VOKEY SM7 - 58.12D (Snow flaked "Z" ) - N.S. PRO 950GH R300       

***  GolfPride MC+4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges) 

PUTTER (Primary) - 2022 PING PLD  - 35" Anser Milled Black Matte                                                    *** GolfPride SNSR 104 Grip

PUTTER -  2020 CAMERON SPECIAL SELECT CUSTOM  - 35" Newport 2                                 *** GolfPride SNSR 104 Grip

GOLF BALL - TITLEIST - Prov1 /-Prov1x 

GOLF BAG - TITLEIST - Midsize Tour Bag Black/Black/Red and Black Cart 14 

Footjoy | Mike Fay Golf

GOLF GLOVE - FOOTJOY - StaSof, Hyper Flex, StaCooler, Rain Glove

SHOES - FOOTJOY - Premieres, Traditions, Tradition MyJoys, Pro/SLs, Flex, Flex XP, DryJoy Tour MyJoys, Icon MyJoys, Rain Boots. 

APPAREL - FOOTJOY 

Industry Day at the Range - Bushnell Optics RANGEFINDER - Pro XE

Down here in Texas, you will die in the summertime wearing cotton.  The shirts get soaked with sweat and get heavy.  I gave Goodwill every cotton golf shirt (75 if I remember correctly) I had once golf shirts started coming out in performance fabrics.  I see the OP is from Toronto and I can see where he could prefer cotton.  I also don't wear shorts or slacks with cotton content for the same reason.  Jeans...different story but not allowed to play golf in them. 

WITB

Driver - Taylormade M6

3wd - Taylormade RBZ

Hybrids - Taylormade RBZ

Irons - Taylormade RSi1

Putter - Macgregor Smoothie

Give me Cotton.  Polyester is too scratchy for me.  Lands End is about the last resort to go to and they have big and tall sizes to fit my svelte body!  LOL. I am in the South and to me cotton will absorb the perspiration polyester just locks it against my body.  All the negatives mentioned do not outweigh the feel of cotton against my skin.

a. Iron specs (flex, length/lie). Callaway Apex Smoke 4-AW 1" long 3* upright Regular graphite shafts

b. Driver specs (loft/flex). Titleist TiS1 Senior Flex

c. Dexterity (right or left-handed). Right handed

d. Where You Live Jefferson, GA

e. Your handicap or average 18 hole score. 18.6 index

f. Putter - Too many to list! But all are fitted with FlatCat grip.

I stopped wearing anything cotton while doing any sport in like the 90s… this includes socks and underwear. Wool socks are the best though. This behavior actually predates me playing golf. Anyone wearing cotton while skiing will quickly learn how poorly it makes for a performance fabric.
There’s a reason they make bath towels out of cotton. 

Driver: :titelist-small: TSR3 w/ LA Golf DJ Signature Series (65-4)

5w: :taylormade-small: SIM2 MAX

7w: :taylormade-small: SIM2 MAX

4i-GW: :mizuno-small: JPX921 Forged w/ Nippon Modus Tour 105 S

54º: :vokey-small: SM9 D Grind w/ Nippon Modus Tour 105 S

60º: :vokey-small: SM9 D Grind w/ Nippon Modus Tour 105 S

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER5vB w/ LA Golf P-Series SOHO 

Ball: :titelist-small: ProV1x  play #45

Ball mark: Kraken Golf - Revolver, Weight Plate

Tracked and scored by :Arccos: 

I am fully into performance fabrics as they work for me. I have migrated almost everything to UA gear (they fit best) although my one Galvin Green shirt is very comfortable and exceptionally cool on hot and humid days here in Georgia.

• Like 1
  • Taylormade SIM2 8° Fujikura Ventus Blue with VeloCore 6-R
  • TaylorMade M5 15° Project X HZRDUS Red 75 6.0 or Srixon ZX 16° KBS Tour Prototype 85 R
  • Callaway Big Bertha 19° KBS Tour Prototype 85 S
  • Srixon 4-AW Nippon Modus 3 105 R
  • Cleveland ZipCore 54° Mid and 58° Mid DG Spinner
  • Sub70 Mid-Mallet Sycamore 002 34.5"
  • Titleist Pro V1x
  • Arccos Gen 3 sensors

I have also moved to all performance fabrics for golf, exercise and casual shirts. Living in the south the heat & humidity are oppressive and for some weird reason the older I get the more I sweat. The performance fabrics don't weigh me down like saturated cotton or other fabrics. The other advantage of performance fabrics is that they can go from washer to hangers to closet with no ironing needed.  

• Like 1

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

I couldn’t agree with you more. Cotton is King – for those of us west of the Rockies. And I don’t need my clothing to “perform.” There’s only so much I can spend on golf, so I’d rather buy a new wedge than a couple of “high tech,” high-priced shirts. As long as it’s not restrictive, I’ll wear any shirt to the course – golf shirt or not. The “uniform” is optional for me.

:taylormade-small: M5 driver

:titelist-small: 815 fairways & hybrids

:taylormade-small: RSi2 irons

:mizuno-small:/:titelist-small: wedges

:ping-small: Cadence Ketsch putter, et al.

19 minutes ago, Nathan Lee said:

I couldn’t agree with you more. Cotton is King – for those of us west of the Rockies. And I don’t need my clothing to “perform.” There’s only so much I can spend on golf, so I’d rather buy a new wedge than a couple of “high tech,” high-priced shirts. As long as it’s not restrictive, I’ll wear any shirt to the course – golf shirt or not. The “uniform” is optional for me.

Plenty of non-cotton golf shirts out there that can be had for around $20, buying comfortable clothing that provides wicking or breathable performance doesn't cost any more than a cotton shirt does. 

• Like 2

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:callaway-small: Mavrik Max 10.5* R Flex Evenflow RipTide
:cleveland-small: Hy-Wood
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:wilson_staff_small: D200 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact

Performance materials for me. For hot humid TN summers it's the only way to go. 

My last pair of cotton pants

36435257_Pantsonfire.jpg.920c420b362710b3e5443a8819fafe16.jpg

• Haha 3

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi1 10* Stiff Flex

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood, SLDR  HL 17*  R Flex

:taylormade-small: 5 Wood, SLDR 19* R Flex

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, F6 22.5* R Flex

:Sub70: 939x 5 hybrid

:Sub70: Irons, 699 Pro's S Flex (6 - AW)

:Sub70:  JB Wedge 56*

:cleveland-small: Wedge, CBX 60*

:odyssey-small: Putter, Marksman Fang 35"