Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Getting back into golf

RandyD56

This will get me some idea what to do.  I have not played golf in 15 years.  I am about to retire and I want to play again.  I was scoring in the low to mid 80’s when I quit.  If I putted a little better, I could have broken 80 but never have.  I cannot make a large shoulder turn and I hit my 7 iron about 150 yards.  My driver went about 230 and I am sure I have lost distance.  I want to buy irons but I am on a tight budget.  I do not want to spend $600-$900 for irons.  I want to get some good game improvement irons and used condition and several years old is fine.  Please help me.  I don’t want to mess up.  

Do you have someplace locally that carries used clubs, like a PGA SS or a Golfers Warehouse? If you're looking used, those could be great places to go try a bunch of different sets, see what fits your eye and what you hit better.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Lots of great options in clubs out there that meet your criteria... lots.  My best advice to you is to find a reputable golf fitter and get fitted.  You can do a fitting for irons and then one for woods (or both together, but that's a lot to do at one time).  It will be the best investment you make in the game.  Most likely they will have makes/models for you to trial and meet your expenditure limits.  If not, you will be armed with the vital information that you can take to other golf shops to trial other make/models.

Off the cuff, the Wilson D7's and Srixon Z585's have received high accolades by numerous sources, including MGS.  These might be worth a look. All the best with the return to the game.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Welcome to the return to golf!  As has been said, you need to have an idea what the specs are for your swing.  Going to a fitter is the way to go, but it will probably cost around $100.  Depending on where you go that fee might be waived if you buy from them.

If you are strictly looking for used clubs, you still need to get your specs.  You can go to a golf store where they can quickly check your swing speed, lie angle, and the length you need when you try out clubs.  They usually do this for free.  Find what clubs you like and feel the best, then with the club specs look for 1-3 year old set.  Believe me, you do not want to buy a used set not knowing what the specs are or what your specs are.  I say this from experience.

Any of the manufacturers make good game improvement clubs; it's a matter of what works best for you.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I appreciate the advice.  I was gutted about 35 years ago and it was pretty much standard.  I don’t know what could have changed.  I last played with a cheap set that I bought for my stepson when he lost interest in golf.  It had graphite shafts and I fit them very well.  I could just use some of my old but the game had changed so much that I hate to think that some new sticks might save me 3 or 4 stokes per round.  I bought some new balls that should help a few stokes I hope.  Anything to get me close to my 85 or so again. Then we work on the other 6 and hit 79.   

Welcome back.  I took off 30 years before I got back into golf and I was terrible when I gave it up.  I didn't start again till I turned 67 and I'm 71 now.  If you're retiring then you should have lots of practice time.  That's what I did... practice, practice, practice.  And there's lots of videos to explain how to improve your game unlike before the 90's.  I think a good set of game improvement irons will go a long way and there are various online retailers that sell used equipment... 2nd Swing comes to mind.

You can probably also find some used equipment at Golf Galaxy and other brick and mortar stores... just ask.

The key is to keep your expectations low and just enjoy the ride.  Golf is one of those sports that looks so easy, yet can be so complicated.  If you were shooting in the 80's before, it shouldn't take you long to get back there as long as you are willing to put in the time.  

BTW, I took 30 years off because I coached youth soccer for 30 years and didn't have the time to golf.  Now I wish I would have kept playing in spite of my poor skills back then.  

You may want to check out Sub 70 golf for a good value on new irons. For used, I'd look at some older Pings, Taylormades, or Callaways in the GI category. Something with some extra forgiveness and speed-boosting properties should help make the game more enjoyable for you as you rediscover it.

If looks aren't a huge issue for you, I'd be surprised if you couldn't get one helluva good deal on a set of Mizuno JPX EZ's. 

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

This will get me some idea what to do.  I have not played golf in 15 years.  I am about to retire and I want to play again.  I was scoring in the low to mid 80’s when I quit.  If I putted a little better, I could have broken 80 but never have.  I cannot make a large shoulder turn and I hit my 7 iron about 150 yards.  My driver went about 230 and I am sure I have lost distance.  I want to buy irons but I am on a tight budget.  I do not want to spend $600-$900 for irons.  I want to get some good game improvement irons and used condition and several years old is fine.  Please help me.  I don’t want to mess up.  

Getting fit for clubs is a great idea when the time is right. A fitting today could be significantly different six months from now so my advice is choose a manufacturer who has engineered into their irons the ability to fit and then refit as your swing evolves.

PING offers a online fitting tool. This tool requires you to perform some static body measurements. It also requires you to enter current ball flight tendencies as well as desired ones as well. This is a no cost fitting you can perform right at home. All you need is a tape measure and an internet connection. Are there more comprehensive methods? Absolutely but this is a no frills start that will provide you some generalized data.

Recommendations? Utilize YouTube, MyGolfSpy, Golf Digest, etc for a library of comprehensive reviews. From 2nd Swing to EBay to Golf Bidder you will find a huge market of used clubs out there that will inevitably fall into one of the aforementioned reviewers top 10.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges.