TESTERS WANTED! ×

Putting Ball

LeftyHawk

One of the guys on the league I play on used what he referred to as a "putting Ball". What it was is the same ball he uses getting to the hole, but once on the green he switches it out for the putting Ball.

My question for y'all in the know for the rules, is this acceptable?

Personally I really don't care if he switches balls on the green. But some of us got to talking about it, so I thought I'd ask here.

Chris

Edited by LeftyHawk

Far and Sure......

:callaway-small:          GBB Epic  11*             

:callaway-small:               GBB Epic 7W (Heavenwood)

:ping-small::             G410 4 thru GW

:callaway-logo-1:   MD3 54*,60*                                                         

:cleveland-small:         Huntington Beach Soft #4

:bridgestone-small:   Tour B RX

I wanna say if you're following the tour rules, this isn't legal. However, I am on a team with a guy in my league who does the same thing. Since it's pretty casual, nobody seems to care. I guess marking your regular can be distracting?

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

34 minutes ago, gbtrsc said:

If you’re paying attention to USGA rules (not “Tour” rules) then once you start playing a hole you must finish the hole with the same ball, unless it is lost or damaged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

100% right, you're required to play the same ball all the way to the hole, unless it's damaged or lost.  There are a few other times when you can substitute another ball, see rule 6.3b(1).  When you m just replace a ball on a spot, as in a putting green, you must play the original ball.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Technically you are supposed to finish the hole with the same ball unless the ball becomes damaged

Sent from my SM-G960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

"Obviously my iron play is incredible, and when I get going I can get hot, but this course just fits my eye. The shaping of the holes, and just a couple of the doglegs, I'm able to shape shots."

Bryson DeChambeau

In my  :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

:srixon-small: Z765 9.5 with Miyazaka Kaula Mizu 6 Stiff Shaft (TrueGolfFit Recommended!!!)

:cobra-small: F8 3-4 wood 16* Aldilla Blue 70 Stiff shaft

:taylormade-small: Rescue mid 2 iron 16*

:cobra-small: One Length Forged Tec 4-GW with AMT Black shafts

:cameron-small: Futura Phantom 2

:bridgestone-small:Tour B330 RX

Like Bass Fishing? Check out my one and only article!!!

https://www.bassresource.com/beginner/get-started-bass-fishing.html

42 minutes ago, GeekingGolf said:

Technically you are supposed to finish the hole with the same ball unless the ball becomes damaged

Sent from my SM-G960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

There are some other situations where you may substitute a different ball, per rule 6.3

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

What is the logic behind this?  Back in the bad-old-days of balata, we used to do this in friendly rounds because the balls would get lopsided after a few holes and not putt straight (and that's if you didn't cut it).  You'll lose a modern ball before you can really do damage to it.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

I believe it's advise he'd gotten from his father, which would have been during those balata days. Just something he holds onto I guess. I can see cleaning the ball off once on the green, never really thought about a "putting ball" until I played a round with him 

Given the tech in today's balls it didn't make sense to me, but I was also curious as to what the rules were.

I don't plan to say anything to him, it works for him and makes the game enjoyable for him. After all, isn't that what it's about ?

Chris

Far and Sure......

I'd call him on it, particularly if it were a tournament and probably in league play, as well.  It's outside the rules of golf.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

56 minutes ago, CarlH said:

I'd call him on it, particularly if it were a tournament and probably in league play, as well.  It's outside the rules of golf.

Well, I really don't see any sort of avantage and it's a piece of his Dad he carries with him on the course. So I'm not saying anything, just not that big of a deal to me.

Chris

Far and Sure......

1 hour ago, LeftyHawk said:

Well, I really don't see any sort of avantage and it's a piece of his Dad he carries with him on the course. So I'm not saying anything, just not that big of a deal to me.

Chris

To each their own....I'm a purist....I believe the rules of golf should be followed in tournament play.  If someone is not playing by the rules, regardless of any perceived advantage, it is up to his fellow competitors to protect the field.  In a casual game, yeah, who cares....but I won't have a side wager with him.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

Sorry, hate playing with people who play fast and loose with the rules, Quiet word at the start of the round just to say it is a penalty each time he does it.

I play with 3 other guys thru the winter and we have a wee competition, the winner is the best 5 Stableford score. The last round he is having a stormer which means he is going to pip me. He duck hooks his drive on the 16th into a bush, takes a provisional up the centre, declares the 1st ball lost without looking, someone shouts that it has rolled out into the rough, so he decides to play the original ball.

Its friendly but this is taking the p!ss!

WIMB

Driver Callaway Epic 10.5' Fujikura Stiff

3W Callaway Epic 15' Fujikura Stiff

3-AW Srixon Z565 Nippon Stiff

52', 56' Cleveland RTX 585 Wedges

Putter Taylormade Rosa Daytona

Bags 2017 Callaway Org14 Cart bag or 2018 Srixon Z start Carry bag 

40 minutes ago, Alf. S said:

Sorry, hate playing with people who play fast and loose with the rules, Quiet word at the start of the round just to say it is a penalty each time he does it.

I play with 3 other guys thru the winter and we have a wee competition, the winner is the best 5 Stableford score. The last round he is having a stormer which means he is going to pip me. He duck hooks his drive on the 16th into a bush, takes a provisional up the centre, declares the 1st ball lost without looking, someone shouts that it has rolled out into the rough, so he decides to play the original ball.

Its friendly but this is taking the p!ss!

You can't declare a ball lost. It's lost if it can't be found within 3 minutes, or if he didnt declare a provisional on the tee (you said he did though) or he plays the provisional before the original ball is found.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

Exactly!

He doesn't get to choose is the point. 

He did blob the hole and ended up beating me by 1 point for the season anyway.

WIMB

Driver Callaway Epic 10.5' Fujikura Stiff

3W Callaway Epic 15' Fujikura Stiff

3-AW Srixon Z565 Nippon Stiff

52', 56' Cleveland RTX 585 Wedges

Putter Taylormade Rosa Daytona

Bags 2017 Callaway Org14 Cart bag or 2018 Srixon Z start Carry bag 

My dad does this. He doesn't like to spend money on balls as he believes he is not good enough to play a high end balll (even though he rarely loses a ball)  His theory is if he putts the same ProV1 I gave him to try out every time that his putting will feel consistent. He even has a special mark on it so he knows not to play it!

I'll have to let him know he's cheating... will get in his head and give me a few strokes!

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

You can't declare a ball lost. It's lost if it can't be found within 3 minutes, or if he didnt declare a provisional on the tee (you said he did though) or he plays the provisional before the original ball is found.

A player can say the ball is lost and doesn’t have to look. There is no requirement to spend three minutes, it is just the maximum time. If however, a playing competitor or spectator finds the ball prior to the time expiration you must move forward with that ball.

This exact scenario played out on a season of the golf channels the big break. It also occurred during a LPGA event when the player I was scoring for told the marshalls to stop looking for her ball.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

A player can say the ball is lost and doesn’t have to look. There is no requirement to spend three minutes, it is just the maximum time. If however, a playing competitor or spectator finds the ball prior to the time expiration you must move forward with that ball.

This exact scenario played out on a season of the golf channels the big break. It also occurred during a LPGA event when the player I was scoring for told the marshalls to stop looking for her ball.

This actually happened with Phil once. He had 1,000 people looking for a ball that he wanted to abandon and someone found it, oops!

You can’t use a putting ball, while there may be occasions where you can change balls during play on a hole it’s not always going to happen.

The PGA tour has a local rule that prohibits playing a different type ball even when is taken out of play - so if you start with aPro VIx you must continue with it. That goes back to a time when guys would switch ball type hole to hole depending upon the wind or type of hole they were play. That rule does not apply to us so I could play one hole with my Yellow RevKev Pro VIx and the next with a Taylor Made TP 5x as I did yesterday - there was a 45 minute deluge between 7 and 8 yesterday - it was so wet afterwards that I didn’t want to risk one of my gamers. :)

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

We golfers are so funny when it comes to rules. I’m not sure any other amateur athlete quotes the rules more than the amateur golfer.

Many years ago I was an avid basketball player. I’d play any and every where I could find a game. This street ball basketball had its own set of socialized rules based on the neighborhood you were playing. One thing for sure was regardless of the location of the game a lane violation (3 seconds) was never called and unless there was bodily harm nor were fouls called.

I guess my point here is as long as the group all agrees what rules the group will play by then “Rules of Golf” be damned. Enjoy yourself!

Tournament play, sanctioned events and for official handicap rounds then of course the rules of golf should be closely followed. No “putting ball” allowed.

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

21 hours ago, cnosil said:

Correct.

Heres a scenario I witnessed during a regional strokeplay event.

Par 3, one player pushes his shot into thick rough/bushes, delares a provisional, which he stiffed to 6 inches. He didnt want to look for his first ball and to ensure his playing partners didnt find it - meaning he would have to play it - he almost sprinted to the hole and tapped in for a 4.

Point to note, he couldn't have done that in a matchplay event

4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

37 minutes ago, perseveringgolfer said:

Correct.

Heres a scenario I witnessed during a regional strokeplay event.

Par 3, one player pushes his shot into thick rough/bushes, delares a provisional, which he stiffed to 6 inches. He didnt want to look for his first ball and to ensure his playing partners didnt find it - meaning he would have to play it - he almost sprinted to the hole and tapped in for a 4.

Point to note, he couldn't have done that in a matchplay event

To get even deeper into the weeds. he actually COULD have done that in a match.  However, his opponent would then have the option of making him replay the shot that was played out of turn.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

We golfers are so funny when it comes to rules. I’m not sure any other amateur athlete quotes the rules more than the amateur golfer.

Many years ago I was an avid baseball player. I’d play any and every where I could find a game. This street ball basketball had its own set of socialized rules based on the neighborhood you were playing. One thing for sure was regardless of the location of the game a lane violation (3 seconds) was never called and unless there was bodily harm nor were fouls called.

I guess my point here is as long as the group all agrees what rules the group will play by then “Rules of Golf” be damned. Enjoy yourself!

Tournament play, sanctioned events and for official handicap rounds then of course the rules of golf should be closely followed. No “putting ball” allowed.

Any league that I’ve played in follows the rules of golf with any modifications being listed as a local rule. (Which is still following the rules) I do agree that if you’re playing for fun with friends or with a regular informal group you should feel free to do as you’d like to have fun so long as what you’re doing doesn’t hold up play or disturb other groups.

But in league play which the OP stated this was in, I’d probably talk to the guy after the round and suggest he look at the rule book or consult with a league officer -

I wouldn’t bother him about it during the round although I should. It’s not fair to the rest of the guys in that league. It’s really not up to me to determine whether or not it’s to his advantage - he’s clearly, blatantly and repeatedly breaking a rule.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

... Lots to unravel here. I play strictly by the rules, but honestly don't care if you do or not. Great thing about this game is like a dogleg over water, you can bite off as much as you would like. I also agree in tournament or league play everyone must follow the rules and as Rev stated, local rules can be anything from rolling the ball in the fairway to changing out balls on the green, as long as all agree. I do think changing todays balls on the green offers zero advantage, but them's the rules. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

On 6/17/2019 at 4:37 AM, perseveringgolfer said:

Actually you can. If you declare that you do not want anyone to look for the ball, you can declare that ball out. 

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

3 minutes ago, Kor.A.Door said:

Actually you can. If you declare that you do not want anyone to look for the ball, you can declare that ball out. 

that's not accurate, your opponents or competitors can search for your ball, no matter what you say, and you are required to identify it if it is found.  the only way to avoid that is to play 3 from the tee, not use the provisional option.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

5 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

that's not accurate, your opponents or competitors can search for your ball, no matter what you say, and you are required to identify it if it is found.  the only way to avoid that is to play 3 from the tee, not use the provisional option.

Yes they can look, the player can instruct no one is to look for it, which he is basically declaring it a lost ball, and therefore would put his provisional ball into play. Which would be his 3rd from the tee. The new rules do allow for some different scenarios as we are learning at our course. 

there is an interpretation on specifically this topic, rule 18.3.  if he has announced and played a provisional, the provisional only becomes the ball in play if he hits it from nearer the hole than the original was likely to be, before the original was found.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

It’s definitely against the rules. League play is not casual; it’s competition. Everyone has to play by the same rules. And any round used for establishing a handicap is not casual; it must be done following USGA rules.

For newbies, I do recommend playing cheapo balls off the tee or anywhere else they are likely to lose them, and use a good ball around the greens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Driver: TM M1 9.5*

4W: Wishon bent FLAT

Irons: Mizuno MP20MB

Wedges: 50/55/60 Mizuno

Putter: Evnroll ER2

On 6/17/2019 at 8:19 PM, SteddyGolf said:

+1. My winter gang employs some "adjusted" rules and we have a blast - even when BIG $$ is at stake playing wolf.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

10 hours ago, Kor.A.Door said:

As @DaveP043 states, it doesn't matter what you say, if it's a provisional from the tee and the other ball is found prior to you hitting the provisional first, and closer than the 1st ball, then the first ball is the one in play. I think (correct me if I'm wrong) but not being able to declare a ball lost came into affect in the 60's! you'd think we'd all know that rule by now😄

3 hours ago, perseveringgolfer said:

As @DaveP043 states, it doesn't matter what you say, if it's a provisional from the tee and the other ball is found prior to you hitting the provisional first, and closer than the 1st ball, then the first ball is the one in play. I think (correct me if I'm wrong) but not being able to declare a ball lost came into affect in the 60's! you'd think we'd all know that rule by now😄

You can’t declare it lost, you CAN instruct that nobody is to look for it. That’s what I am talking about. If the people you are playing with are Jerks, then you may be SOL. Yes, if it is found, the provisional ball is no longer an option. You have to play the first ball and with the new rules there are options.